General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | [26] | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Fri 30-Sep-11 10:15:21
Print Post

Re: Success! Telnet log..

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

If I have interpreted the graphs right, on the bit loading there is some loss which is mainly around the adsl frequencies. that's increaded crosstalk isn't it?
If you mean the V shaped part of the graph with the bottom of the "V" around bin 250 then this is due to the "Spectral Power Management" feature of FTTC.

Basically the power output of frequencies also used by ADSL is reduced so that the output of the VDSL modem in the cabinet is about the same as the ADSL signal at the cabinet (which has travelled from the exchange and has therefore been attenuated).

It's to stop the VDSL signal swamping the ADSL signals in the same cable bundles with crosstalk.
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Fri 30-Sep-11 10:56:54
Print Post

[re: Little_bird] [link to this post]

Hi Little_Bird,

I would like to know how you have this set upsmile

Standard User bhawkes
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-11 13:06:10
Print Post

for comparison, my stats after 1 week up time:-

[IMG]http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/44_bh/OR_30...[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/44_bh/line_...[/IMG]

significant (?) CRC errors, certainly in comparison to yours!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Fri 30-Sep-11 19:12:51
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

If you mean the V shaped part of the graph with the bottom of the "V" around bin 250 then this is due to the "Spectral Power Management" feature of FTTC.
Ah, interesting.

Looking at bhawkes' graphs, the notch is centred at about bin 500 so this clearly shows the dynamic process in action.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Fri 30-Sep-11 19:15:15)

Standard User Little_bird
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-11 19:30:48
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Hi,

I am using a Netgear WNR1000 router with the HG612 modem.
These are my NIC & Router settings:-

Router & Modem settings

I have an ethernet cable plugged into LAN 4 of the router (don't know if if actually matters which one) & LAN 2 of the modem.

I don't recall changing any settings in the router.

Let me know if it works & we could then ask asbokid to add it to the his instructions.

Pauline.
Standard User bhawkes
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-11 22:55:11
Print Post

I'm using a Linksys WRT610n with the OR and have LAN2 of the OR into LAN 4 of the router, and as Pauline says no changes required to the router settings.
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Fri 30-Sep-11 23:32:15
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

No I don't mean that but that's still good to know. Thanks.

I'm talking about the lack of red on the bit loading graph compared to the one taken before the reconnect. Most of it is around tone 1000 which I believe to be where the adsl frequencies are but I could be wrong.
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Fri 30-Sep-11 23:39:04
Print Post

[re: bhawkes] [link to this post]

I had lots of errors too before the modem re synced, with no performance change, you can see the stats in a previous post in this thread.

It's not the amount of errors I'm highlighting in the post you replied too, it's the amount of errors I got in a short space of time, it was a lot more than I got previously over several days.

It seems your connection is able to keep sync despite lots of errors, where my line is quick to wet itself very quickly with a small burst of them.
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Fri 30-Sep-11 23:47:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Little_bird:
You may wish to include a very small section that describes how you can have the usual router's ethernet connection plugged into LAN1 & another cable from a spare router port plugged into LAN2 so that internet browsing/emailing can continue at the same time as moving around in the modem's web pages.

That's a good idea and also how I have mine setup. I have wondered if there is a setting on the modem to enable access over the LAN1 port though, because if OR remote in they can see there is a cable connected to the LAN2 port on Status->LAN->Ethernet. Not sure what their reaction would be and whether it would be safer to not have LAN2 connected 24/7?
Standard User Croftie
(regular) Fri 30-Sep-11 23:52:50
Print Post

Just looking at the output of xdslcmd info --pbParams, untill recently the value of Retrain Reason has been 0, now it's 2.

Retrain Reason: 2

Anyone know what the different values stand for?
Pages in this thread: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | [26] | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to