General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Sep-11 15:07:50
Print Post

Re: More FTTC line stats

[re: ichilton] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ichilton:
Where did you buy one from? (how much?)
There's one on eBay at the mo....... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huawei-DSL-Modem-BT-openre...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Sep-11 15:22:55
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Keep up the good work ...

It would be interesting to look at an unbranded Huawei too ... they are also made with four Ethernet ports. The code used for the BT variant is likely to be a modified version of the original which may have had additional functionality included.
Functionality removed tongue.

IIRC asbokid reported a while ago it is in fact a VDSL2 router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Sep-11 15:23:40
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Hi mr_bean,

I am just curious regarding your stats & wonder if you could confirm a couple of things for me as I am currently suffering from poor FTTC download speeds, although they were very reasonable at first (not the full 40 Mb, but still a lot better than they are at the moment.

I am toying with the idea of obtaining a spare modem to flash that I could use for one-off testing purposes, as & when I would need to see my stats.

I can't flash my current modem as BT may be making more home visits to check things & also may wish to access the modem remotely through the back door in order to sort out my issues.

The questions then:-
a) I see that speed-wise, you are obtaining the full Monty US & DS & that your DS attenuation appears quite low(ish) in comparison to mine as reported by the latest engineers JDSU at 23dB.
Do you know roughly what your line length is from the cabinet?

b) Are you on the Infinity package directly from BT, or a package via A.N.Other ISP?

c) How long have you had FTTC?

d) Have you experienced any low speed issues or line faults since FTTC was installed?

Pauline.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(member) Wed 07-Sep-11 16:02:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The questions then:-
a) I see that speed-wise, you are obtaining the full Monty US & DS & that your DS attenuation appears quite low(ish) in comparison to mine as reported by the latest engineers JDSU at 23dB.
Do you know roughly what your line length is from the cabinet?
650m(ish), engineer said 19dB attenuation, though I can now see that's a mix of 15.4dB and 39.2dB in each of the downstream bands.

Otherwise b) A.N Other c) Since April d) No, rock solid since installed.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Sep-11 17:54:16
Print Post

Thanks for responding mr_bean,

Very useful info to use as a comparison against my stats for if/when I manage to get a spare modem to flash.

One other thing:-
Is your modem a SP06, SP10, or SP10 v 2B firmware version & which "unlocked" firmware version have you flashed it with?

Is anyone else interested in experimenting & posting their stats, especially someone who doesn't achieve the full 40 Mb at their home, who maybe has a confirmed line length of say 800m to 1200m from the FTTC cabinet?

Pauline.
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Wed 07-Sep-11 18:55:45
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Not a 2B/V. I used the unlocked version of SP10 as that was what it had on it.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Sep-11 19:01:52
Print Post

Thanks again mr_bean.

Pauline.
Standard User asbokid
(newbie) Wed 07-Sep-11 19:18:43
Print Post

Graphing FTTC line stats

Hi Mr Bean,

Have you seen the nifty Router-Stats tool that Tom Hill has developed for the Broadcom xDSL devices supplied by Sky Broadband? [1]

All those Sky-supplied devices appear to be ADSL2+, so Tom's tool would need a little patching to graph the VDSL2 stats from the Huawei HG612.

At the moment I have been chomping the output from the command 'xdslcmd info --linediag' and feeding it to gnu-plot, the open source graphing tool.

Don't suppose I can scrounge some "xdslcmd info --linediag" statistics from you to test that patching? I will return some graphs for your approval smile

The JPEG stats graphs generated from gnu-plot are very similar to these ones [2] While the ones from the Huawei are technically correct they need some prettifying to be as nice as the Router-Stats output.

cheers,
asbokid

[1] http://www.ph-mb.com/products/srt/about
[2] http://www.sherrardinteriors.com/pH-Mb/sky_router_to...

Edited by asbokid (Wed 07-Sep-11 19:19:09)

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Sep-11 19:20:30
Print Post

line length 350/400 meters from the cab with 0.5 copper, the bt man said I could get 52mb down if the line was unlocked 8c profile, What speed do you think I would get with 17a profile?

I can't see on that site where to hack the modem?

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
Sync 40000D 10000U

Edited by lockyatlrg (Wed 07-Sep-11 23:20:24)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Sep-11 19:43:27
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
the bt man sai dI could get 52mb down if the line was unlocked, What speed do you think I would get with 17a profile?

52Mbps

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync not a clue, but DL speed is around 37Mbps
UL Sync again; not a clue
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to