General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 16:05:56
Print Post

Re: How do my stats look?

[re: orly] [link to this post]

telnet 192.168.1.1 to go directly to the modem
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:08:53
Print Post

All I can tell you is that I used Putty (in Telnet mode) to connect to 192.168.1.1 and it immediately prompted me for the admin username and password.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/griff_90/2acb...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:12:47
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
Hi Griff_90..

Thanks for posting your stats (and for offering to take a photo of the PCB on the 2B).

There is a dearth of data for VDSL2 Profile 8c performance in the UK. Pretty impressive figures you're getting there.. I think yours are the best I've seen..
How do you come to that conclusion? He says he is on 10dB attenuation and that shows well under 40Mbps connection speed, whereas most at 500-600 metres like myself, on attenuation 17dB, get the full 40000.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 16:14:59
Print Post

If you have spare Lan ports on your router, I have read somewhere that you can leave the normal cable from the router connected to Lan1 of the modem as usual & simply attach another cable from a spare router port to Lan2 on the modem & then you can browse the internet & also see the modem interface at the same time.

I don't know if it actually works though as I don't have an unlocked modem to try it with yet.

Pauline.
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:22:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I actually said my Attentuation "is/was".

I know it was 10dB in January as I saw the relevant screen on the JDSU myself. It may have changed since.

Also how do you come to the conclusion that 38,000 is "well under" 40,000?!?

Edited by griff_90 (Thu 08-Sep-11 16:26:28)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:37:13
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You can get to the modem configuration but it doesn't appear to allow you online

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:56:51
Print Post

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

Can't get it going on mine at all. Is yours an SP06 or SP10 modem? Mine is SP06 which I believe is the oldest version that was widely distributed.

One benefit has been seeing the sync and noise margin in real time as well as the "attainable rate"

I've been keeping track of my IP Profile for the past few weeks on the BT speedtester.

It was previously 23179 and then moved to 23317. Today (at around 1.45pm) it had bumped up to 23487, with a sync of 24265 according to the modem. In other words it was pretty stable at the lower end of 23xxx

As many are aware the SNR fluctuates during the day. At 4.45pm my SNR had crept up to 7dB so I reset the modem. My sync is now 25086 and the IP profile on the speedtester is 24281. In other words, by simply keeping an eye and resetting at an appropriate time, I've gained nearly 0.8Mbit in downstream. The target, as with ADSL, seems to be 6dB.

This is confirmed by the speedtester itself. The download speed achieved rose by 0.8Mbit. This may be insignificant in the grand scheme of things but for anyone looking to eek out the last drop of performance it can help get you that extra last few %

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up

Edited by orly (Thu 08-Sep-11 16:58:20)

Standard User asbokid
(learned) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:58:15
Print Post

Re: Success! Telnet log..

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

Cheers Griff!

I will graph them this eve. The tools to do so are open source (imagemagick and gnuplot) and both of those applications are built for windows, mac, linux, etc. so if anyone wants the graphing scripts, i will put them on some webspace.

I asked before, but maybe i can ask again.. is anyone interested in developing some graphing code that will run on the modem itself. It would present its graphical output via the Huawei's web interface. The new code would be written in C and built for the mips processor on an x86 PC using the open source GNU c cross compiler toolchain. Pre-built cross-compiler toolchains are available from here [1].

The graphing tool would either get its line stats from parsing the output of xdslcmd or it could query the xdsl driver directly. The main difficulty, as with all embedded code, is that it must be lean, and most image encoding libraries are enormous.. The libjpeg C function library can apparently be stripped down to the bare essentials, so it might just fit in the firmware.

Since the firmware in the hg612 shares much in common with other Broadcom-based devices including, it seems, the same ioctl() interface to the xDSL device driver, the graphing code should run, perhaps with a bit of fettling, on those devices, too.

cheers,
asbokid

[1] https://peterkieser.com/actiontec/source/
Standard User asbokid
(learned) Thu 08-Sep-11 17:02:55
Print Post

Hi Orly!

Ahh.. this is one of the few differences between SP06 and SP10..

SP06 doesn't have a telnet interface..

Instead, SP06 is running a ssh server (which SP10 is running in addition to telnet, but you need to tweak the SP10 firewall rules to gain access to ssh.)

Try again with putty, but select Secure SHell (ssh) as the protocol. That uses TCP port 22 rather than 23.

cheers,
asbokid
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 17:04:18
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

I'll give it a go and report back.

I assume the commands are similar...

sh for the shell and then the commands you posted earlier?

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to