General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Sep-11 00:16:15
Print Post

Re: FTTC just installed today, SIGH!!!!!!!!!

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
have you still got no dialling tone ?

Always did have a dialling tone (even since before 7am when they changed my line away from Sky) but until around 5pm any number I dialled came back with a message saying "this number has not been recognised".
At around 5pm the correct number was suddenly setup onto my line and I was, once again, able to use the phone.

What I can't see is why they didn't allocate the correct number in the first place.
Why the need to deliberately set the wrong number, knowing they'd have to change it again later that day?

In any case; all OK now, although it would have been nice to know the sync and the line length to the cabinet!

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Part of the engineers task is to carry out a successful Eclipse test

He did no tests whatsoever.
All he did was fit the kit and dialled some number on the phone (to get the Infinity activated), then received an SMS saying it had been done.
I even had to ask him to stay for a few minutes whilst I checked to see if the internet was indeed connected!

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 40Mbps
UL Sync 10Mbps

Edited by adebov (Thu 08-Sep-11 00:19:36)

Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:40:06
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

It's strange that experience differs widely depending on which engineer you get. The chap that installed mine was great and after fitting the modem to the wall (without being asked) he connected up his equipment, decided (with my agreement) to leave the faceplate that I had, checked for speed, told me where the cabinet was and what the line length was and asked me if he could do anything else for me!!
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 17:00:52
Print Post

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

As with anything you get those who are well trained and not well trained. Similarly there are dedicated and thorough types and lazy sods thinking about their fish and chips for lunch.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 20:11:04
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

True...... I dropped a line to the CEO at BT to tell him about my experience, hopefully Adebov will do the same............
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Sep-11 20:20:31
Print Post

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Garyilka:
hopefully Adebov will do the same............

No I won't be.
He was a nice enough bloke, just didn't appear to have been doing the job that long (and was only given a very quick "this is how it works" demo on the hand-held tool).
Hopefully experience will improve his knowledge, but I'm not about to go crying to the CEO over something which probably wasn't the fault of the engineer in the first place (being thrown in at the deep end seems to be par for the course with many British companies - as does getting the blame for things which aren't your fault).

In any case, I don't want him gobbing into my connections (in the cabinet) next time he opens it up to connect another customer wink

I think it was all down to poor training. Whilst this is something senior managers should be made aware of, it's not worth bothering the CEO.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 40Mbps
UL Sync 10Mbps
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 20:25:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
Whilst this is something senior managers should be made aware of,
Agree absolutely - I just dunno how that can be done without going to the top. At the end of the day the only way BT get to know that their training systems are a heap of dung is by someone telling them - and they're more likely to listen to customers than their own staff.........

I always make a point of telling companies when their service is rubbish - and when it's good. Pain in the rear end me.................. smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 20:25:52
Print Post

All he did was fit the kit and dialled some number on the phone (to get the Infinity activated), then received an SMS saying it had been done.

Nah, that was the Eclipse test. It isn't to activate the service, it's there already, it does two tests, the first returns the sync rate, up and down, the second confirms the the line tests OK.
I even had to ask him to stay for a few minutes whilst I checked to see if the internet was indeed connected!

That's just plain [censored]. A BT Infinity managed install is for the engineer to connect, via ethernet or wireless, to the PC/Mac of your choice, and show the punter web pages.

I am sure you were more than happy not to have them touch your kit, but they should at least have offered.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 20:29:50
Print Post

Fair comments.

Training, however wasn't that brief, he was just clearly not paying attention.

The cab terminations are waterproof.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 20:33:27
Print Post

[re: T1AA] [link to this post]

The 39999 and 9999 figures are those actually in the cabinet, It's impossible for almost anyone to achieve those speeds.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 20:37:17
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The 39999 and 9999 figures are those actually in the cabinet, It's impossible for almost anyone to achieve those speeds.

Utter twaddle. 40000 Kbps sync downstream, and 10000 up is often achieved. I, for one have that, and many more also.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to