General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 20:03:48
Print Post

Re: FTTC - safe to wait?

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Is there no room left in the new cabinets for additional cards? That seems a bit short-sighted.

The larger '200 pair' cabinets often only have a 100 pair tail fitted, so yes, they can be expanded. The '100 pair' ones, hmmm. To tell the truth the busiest area round this way, Basingstoke, which has service the longest, has AFAIK, not had capacity reached on any DSLAM cab yet.

Still better safe than sorry, order now to avoid disappointment ! smile
Don't think they'll let me. All they've done so far is mark the position in paint on the grass(*). Perhaps I should nip out with a pot of paint and put my number down laugh

(*)Except that the council just mowed that grass so the paint has probably gone now :-/

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Tue 11-Oct-11 20:05:15)

Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Oct-11 20:17:48
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Fibre cabinet capacity is not something I would worry about. I reckon the copper cabinet will run out of termination space before the fibre cabinet runs out of ports.

But I don't think either will run out of space. I would imagine Openreach have run the maths when it comes to planning and sourcing fibre cabinets.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Oct-11 21:39:48
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
I would imagine Openreach have run the maths when it comes to planning and sourcing fibre cabinets.
tongue
Well yes, but ....

The maths will be concerning ROI, and sod all to do with the (hopefully few) cases where 10 potential users get told "tough luck, all connections are in use".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Oct-11 22:56:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have not noticed any posts suggesting they can't order FTTC because of capacity problems. It's not something I would be worried about in the foreseeable future.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Oct-11 23:28:15
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
I have not noticed any posts suggesting they can't order FTTC because of capacity problems. It's not something I would be worried about in the foreseeable future.
Same here - I totally agree with you.

Though it was one of two factors causing me to take FTTC as soon as it was available here. The prevailing sync on this estate must be well under 5Mbps and plenty of Mercs, so I expected high take-up. So far I think I may be wrong, but when Sky bring it out there will be a lot of upgrades then I expect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to