General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DLS
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 15:08:06
Print Post

Re: new modem offer from bt today

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

Thanks for an interesting analysis.

Are the DSLAMs currently being deployed by BT capable of running 30a or is any kind of upgrade required in the cabinets?
Standard User nalla
(regular) Thu 03-Nov-11 17:34:57
Print Post

thanks for that very informative.
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Thu 03-Nov-11 18:15:19
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

The "mini" DSLAMs in the cabinets are apparently from Huawei's SmartAX MA5600 series[1]. The cabinets are actively cooled, so the processors must be moderately powerful to require that.

When the VDSL2 line card in the cabinet is queried for vendor info using the xdslcmd tool in the HG612 firmware, it responds with something like "BCM:0xA19B".

"BCM" is the equipment identifier for Broadcom Corp. and A19B is the "vendor-specific identifier", maybe a firmware revision ID?

The xDSL chipset in the Huawei DSLAMs is possibly the 6511/6526 from the Broadcom BCM65xx Family [2][3]

The line cards (a.k.a. service boards) are modularised and can be removed and replaced with newer specification boards to support higher bandwidth profiles. That is what is being done with the earlier MA5605 DSLAMs that were originally designed to support up to ADSL2+.

There is a collection of documents, including presentation slides, tech manuals and firmware images, for Huawei DSLAMs at [4].

Cheers,
A

[1] http://www.huawei.com/enterprise/smartax-ma5600-ma56...
[2] http://www.broadcom.com/docs/press/product_brochure.pdf
[3] http://www.broadcom.com/products/Broadband-Carrier-A...
[4] https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6wW18mYskvBYjllZjI...

Edited by asbokid (Thu 03-Nov-11 19:36:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 21:07:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
BT are about to start a trial of a new Business Hub 3. Could it be that it is a 2wire/Pace v5700/5500/2500 which will cater for 30a ? It has ADSL and VDSL2 interfaces wireless "n" and Gbit Ethernet.
The BT Business Hub, Ver. 3.0 is already being deployed and is available to purchase via eBay. It is a 2Wire 2701HGV-C and all the current details that are known can be read at the BT Business Hub master site.

I suspect that is actually not to which you are referring but the choice of descriptor "Business Hub 3" is rather prone to misinterpretation.

Please share any future information that you might come across. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Thu 03-Nov-11 21:10:23)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 03-Nov-11 21:16:26
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Yes, I know the 2701 is called version 3 - I have two of them installed here, but BT are just field trialling the Business Hub 3 which is NOT the 2701.

Confusing? Probably!

The header from one of the field trials emails

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2011 1:43 PM
Subject: BT Business Hub 3 trial

Dear Triallist,

Thank you for completing our questionnaire. We noticed that you use BT Broadband Talk ...

Predecessor to 2700 would be Business Hub 1

2700 with v4 software would be Business Hub 2 version 1,
2700 with v5 or v6 software would be Business Hub 2 version2
2701 would be Business Hub 2 version 3

Next Hub - new range of vendor Business Hub 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Thu 03-Nov-11 21:20:00)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 22:09:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Right, I see. Thank you for your added comments.

The original "Business Hub 1" was the 2Wire 1800HG (I have one stashed away in my grotto).
The following "Business Hub 2" range is the 2Wire 270nHGV (I have various Ver 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0 devices, also in my grotto).
I am currently using a non-BT 2Wire 2700HG (no V) for its simplicity and the availability of the MDC.

Please pass on any information that you can . . . both Asbokid and I will be appreciative. smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 04-Nov-11 01:04:06
Print Post

All I know is that the first trial release of the Business Hub 3 will not support VOIP! but later ones might.

A strange decison as there are a large number of business customers that use VOIP off the 2700 ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Sat 05-Nov-11 18:52:23
Print Post

Hi Guys,

I'm definitely interested in learning about BT's new plans for Pace/2Wire CPE.

The TriMedia CPU architecture to the 2Wires is interesting if challenging (more fun!) The public documentation on the TriMedia is scant and the software development toolchain - the C compiler, scheduler, assembler and linker - are all proprietary and closed source.

There is a huge userbase of TriMedia-based networked devices thanks to 2Wire's dominance in the USA. Before the Pace buyout, 2Wire was part-owned by AT&T. 2Wire devices are also supplied as CPE by telcos in Australia, Brazil, Canada and Mexico. Some of the Buffalo LinkStations have also used the TriMedia TM3260 core.

This is an open call to anyone whose curiosity is piqued by this unusual architecture, please email and let's get hacking smile

Cheers,
a

Edited by asbokid (Sat 05-Nov-11 21:21:59)

Standard User nalla
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-11 19:31:51
Print Post

well the engineer just came and fitted my new modem, he said that the new modems arebetter and faster somehow, and that all bt customers need to have either a 2b or 3b, and all customers that dont have these will be getting theirs changed out for a newer model, performance wise not mad any difference getting same speeds as before,

how do i know what profile my connection is on, just wanted to check if im on the 17a profile.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Nov-11 19:37:08
Print Post

[re: nalla] [link to this post]

If you can remember your estimated speed from before you got FTTC, see if the current one is considerably higher. Other than that, you either have to buy an expensive VDSL2 router or unlock your new modem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to