General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 15-Nov-11 23:10:55
Print Post

Re: new modem offer from bt today

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The Tech who did my modem change last week - a 2B said that he had been told new PSUs with all new modems. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, or was it his Line Manager putting an instruction in place that would be clear to all, including the short-term partially trained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Nov-11 04:16:35
Print Post

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

The older (original) model that BT is having replaced with an "improved" model. I received my letter from BT today telling me about the new model, I have to wait to be contacted and then make an appointment for the engineer to come install the new model (I have had my existing modem since February without a single problem but I will be accepting the new one).
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Nov-11 20:10:31
Print Post

[re: nalla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nalla:
hi all, got a letter from bt today stating that i will be receiving a new free modem, and i need to arrange an appointment with them to install the modem, i already have fttc in the form of bt option 3 because my line estimate was below 15mb, but this changed on friday, i now get an estimate of 22mb, is this in line with the doubling of speed they have announced, just wandering why i need a new modem, does this make a big difference.

One would imagine that the modems have a high fail rate .

I would imagine that the manufacturer has agreed to meet the costs of a bulk replacement as it is cheaper than paying Openreach for repeat visits on an ad hoc basis.

Take the offer of proactive replacement.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Tue 22-Nov-11 14:24:04
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

Hi Guys

Just thought I would let you know why this is happening, we�ve been listening to customer feedback and identified a reliability problem with the modem which causes disconnections or even total loss of service and this is why we are now taking steps to replace the modem. Letters will be sent to anyone who was supplied with an Openreach Modem as part of their BT Infinity order before August 2011

In the letter it will explain the next steps - you'll be contacted by our partner Kelly Communications offering you a free appointment to fit your new free Openreach Modem - the modem swap takes about 30 minutes.

If you have any questions just let me know.

David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-11 14:26:13
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

What takes 30 minutes?

All you have to do is plug it in...

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 22-Nov-11 14:34:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by BT_Care:
Letters will be sent to anyone who was supplied with an Openreach Modem as part of their BT Infinity order before August 2011
How about those who were supplied with an OR modem as part of an FTTC order with another ISP, will their modems be replaced?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Tue 22-Nov-11 16:45:53
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Good question. I've had my modem since April 2010, about 18 months now. Thankfully it's still alive, maybe because I've had it sitting vertically the whole time.

I know two people who are on Infinity, and they have been contacted about a replacement. I have yet to hear about someone on a different ISP getting theirs replaced though, unless it has already died and they raised a fault.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000
Standard User Croftie
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 17:03:42
Print Post

I had Infinity installed in October 2010 so I can definitely expect a replacement? Or is modem firmware version taken into consideration aswell. (I've updated it from SP06 to SP10)
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 18:35:20
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

The OR engineer insisted on running a set of "line tests" when he did mine.

Cue puzzled looks from him as he realised I didn't have the VDSL faceplate fitted (I don't have an NTE5 on that line but a dual socket master) so he didn't have a lead which would go from the master to the JDSU as he was expecting RJ11-RJ11 not BT plug-RJ11

Cue puzzled looks from us both when the modem lead I use - BT plug to RJ11 connected by a 10" length of CAT5 crimped by yours truly would not work at all with the JDSU (no sync) but worked fine on the modem - eventually I fished out a standard modem lead for him to complete the tests.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 18:38:20
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

its an Openreach initiated program so end users with other ISP's will also be contacted

Edited by witchunt (Tue 22-Nov-11 18:42:48)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to