General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nalla
(regular) Mon 31-Oct-11 22:09:03
Print Post

new modem offer from bt today

[link to this post]

hi all, got a letter from bt today stating that i will be receiving a new free modem, and i need to arrange an appointment with them to install the modem, i already have fttc in the form of bt option 3 because my line estimate was below 15mb, but this changed on friday, i now get an estimate of 22mb, is this in line with the doubling of speed they have announced, just wandering why i need a new modem, does this make a big difference.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Oct-11 22:20:07
Print Post

Re: new modem offer from bt today

[re: nalla] [link to this post]

Probably just swapping out a batch that are less than ideal

i.e. rate at which some are breaking is a little high from posts on here

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Croftie
(member) Mon 31-Oct-11 23:06:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Another user had fttc installed a few days ago and the engineer had this to say.
I mentioned to the installer about the 80/20 speed increase and he said it would need a new modem and there would probably be a charge for the upgrade - any information on how true this is?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Tue 01-Nov-11 02:07:34
Print Post

Look at the label on the back of your current modem. Does it have B, 2B or 3B in large, bold text, at the top right-hand corner of the label?

The current modems have 3B and also have a white PSU, whereas the earlier versions all have a black PSU.

Please update this thread once you have had the new modem fitted. A photograph (or two) would be nice -- especially of the main label on the rear of the modem.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User nalla
(regular) Tue 01-Nov-11 07:27:12
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

hmm well i cant seem to find any reference to a, 2b, or 3b, i have taken a photo on my phone but dont know how to upload to here, does it have to be a link to a hosting site or can i post photos direct.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 07:36:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by nalla:
hmm well i cant seem to find any reference to a, 2b, or 3b, i have taken a photo on my phone but dont know how to upload to here, does it have to be a link to a hosting site or can i post photos direct.

Hi,

I think you have to upload to a image hosting site and put the link in a post.

Aquiss FTTC Business 30
300m to cabinet
37.7mbit down / 8 mbit up

My Broadband Ping
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Nov-11 07:44:38
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

No information on any new modem, and as for pricing, do people expect all speed upgrades for free? I would have expected the modem to cope with 17a, very odd to make profile specific hardware.

Even if the same price from Openreach, then providers will probably want to charge more for higher speed services to allow for better capacity at peak times, otherwise we will all sync at 60 Mbps but have a peak throughput of 128 Kbps

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 07:53:58
Print Post

Does anyone know if the modem I currently have is one of the older models?

Modem picture

I was hoping when I switched over from Aquiss to BT Infinity I would get one of the newer versions as they seem more reliable from what I have read.

Thanks

BT Infinity
300m to cabinet
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Nov-11 08:15:23
Print Post

Donning my "paranoid" hat, make sure you see his van!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 01-Nov-11 08:42:06
Print Post

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

That, I believe, is one of the first batches ... same as mine!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User maniac886
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 08:53:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cheers, I had a feeling it might have been. Touch wood I have not had any issues as yet. I will just have to wait and see if it lasts another 18 months.

BT Infinity
300m to cabinet
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Nov-11 08:59:32
Print Post

Ventilated, away from heating in winter and out of direct sun in the summer.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Tue 01-Nov-11 16:12:53
Print Post

In that case, it will be one of the original, temperamental, batch. I suspect that OR are just swapping them out for the latest, 3B, revision.

As for photographs, you can't upload them to the TBB site . . . it would have to be via a hosting site and then just provide the link in your posting.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Tue 01-Nov-11 16:15:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by maniac886:
Does anyone know if the modem I currently have is one of the older models?

Modem picture
It's one of Ye Olde Original version which should, eventually, be swapped out. wink

Standard User nalla
(regular) Tue 01-Nov-11 16:21:13
Print Post

thats the same as mine.
Standard User nalla
(regular) Tue 01-Nov-11 16:21:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

paranoid about what roberto.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 01-Nov-11 19:44:01
Print Post

The engineer is wrong. The current modems will handle the speed upgrade. The only change may be the replacement of the hot models (2v and prior - we are advised to swap these on sight even if not on a vdsl fault anyway) - 2b and 3b should cope fine.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 01-Nov-11 19:45:41
Print Post

This *might* get more common as the modems are under warranty by BTs supplier. They may want to get them replaced for free with newer models by changing out the old ones on appointment. Also note BT can tell which model your line has plugged in.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Nov-11 20:00:18
Print Post

Just to confirm, 'anonymous' has it all correct. Looks like a swap out to accelerate the removal of the original V2 modems.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 01-Nov-11 20:07:21
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

HOT ... my original old modem is running with a heatsink temperature of 55 deg C with the case cover removed! The junction temperature will be way above that but it is still coping.

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Nov-11 20:52:18
Print Post

paranoid about what roberto.
The communication perhaps not being from BT, nor the "engineer" that turns up.

My basic reason being yours is the first example I have seen of this, so I am suspicious. Just as in the phone calls, "I am calling from the Microsoft Support to tell you your computer is sending out viruses", and the emails from banks about your security or credit card having been compromised. If the "bank" is your own, you may think it genuine. If it isn't your own then you know.

The problems with the OR modems are well known. Perhaps someone has developed a new scam.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Croftie
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 21:04:07
Print Post

That's what I thought untill this thread popped up. Thanks for the info.
Standard User Croftie
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 21:06:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Those V2s must be really bad for OR to be tracking them down and removing them. I spent 2 months trying to get an engineer visit and gave up in the end. maybe I should get a 2V off the bay and wait for them to turn up, hehe.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Nov-11 23:54:03
Print Post

While they likely can tell what hardware version you have plugged in, it's also likely they simply have a list of serial numbers and who they were shipped to.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Nov-11 23:57:19
Print Post

Ours doesn't even get hot and it sits within a foot of a radiator.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Nov-11 00:00:49
Print Post

Ours has lasted 16 months so far without any problems at all.

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Nov-11 00:14:50
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Same here.

My August 2010 modem barely even gets warm, let alone hot.
Standard User nalla
(regular) Wed 02-Nov-11 07:16:14
Print Post

ah with you, well the letter stated i had to contact kelly communications to arrange an appointment for an engineer, which i did but first i cross checked the phone number against one that i know to be that of kelly communications, so things should be ok ( hopefully )
Standard User nalla
(regular) Wed 02-Nov-11 07:19:32
Print Post

like i stated in my original post i am on bt option 3 with fibre currently, when my line check stated that i could have bt infinity for the first time last friday, i ordered infinity, i then checked the status of my order monday and i had been cancelled,i was going to phone up after work but this letter turned up, i presume they are changing this due to me ordering infinity.
Standard User nalla
(regular) Wed 02-Nov-11 07:21:46
Print Post

ive had no problems with mine either, the engineer stated that the new modem would allow for a bit of extra speed, so maybe people on infinity get a good modem and people on bt option 3 get a lower spec modem.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 02-Nov-11 07:30:23
Print Post

Opt3 with fibre and Infinity use the same modem so it is unlikely your attempted order initiated it

M H C

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 02-Nov-11 07:33:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by orly:
While they likely can tell what hardware version you have plugged in, it's also likely they simply have a list of serial numbers and who they were shipped to.

From what I have seen, the technician just takes one from the batch he has and does not rrecord the serial number.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 02-Nov-11 07:48:52
Print Post

Have you measured the internal heating temperature?

M H C

Standard User nalla
(regular) Wed 02-Nov-11 16:54:49
Print Post

no i havent, i have never senn the need really as its nowhere near anything that gets hot, and its only slightly warm to the touch. basically its on top of a bench well ventilated behind my monitor,
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Nov-11 22:52:43
Print Post

Yep, and then you see your mate down the exchange at lunchtime, and you have to let him have a couple 'cos he's run out. So pretty much untraceable.

Standard User asbokid
(regular) Thu 03-Nov-11 01:11:16
Print Post

The Huawei will become obsolete when BT rolls out Profile 30a, if my back-of-envelope calculations are right.

The 6368 chipset in the Huawei just doesn't run fast enough to support a VDSL2 Profile beyond 17a. According to Broadcom, the CPU can be clocked at up to 400MHz. [1]

VDSL2 Profile 30a supports a bandwidth of up to 200Mbps. The AFE in the modem must have a sampling rate that is at least twice the highest frequency found in the signal to satisfy Nyquist's Theorem. [2]

The CPU has got to shift that data from the AFE into DRAM and process it. Not least shuffle the bits from each frequency bin to recover the ethernet frames from the bitstream. All of that processing will gobble clock cycles, and the Huawei just ain't up to the job at speeds approaching 200Mbps.

Where VDSL2 Profile 30a is already in use - in various cities across the USA, for example - the CPE is based on the Trimedia VLIW cores rather than the MIPS cores found in Broadcom chipsets. [3]

The VLIW cores exploit Instruction Level Parallelism to concurrently crunch five or more basic operations per instruction word.[4] This parallelism particularly suits the DSP demands of broadband access equipment. If the modem maker can fully utilise that parallelism, through clever coding and toolchain design, the Trimedia can process five or even eight times the data at the same clock speed (~500MHz) as a single pipelined RISC core, like the MIPS.

Broadcom is apparently moving over to ARM cores. [5] Maybe that move is in tacit recognition of the MIPS' limitations in future applications. It's very bad news for MIPS Technology which relies on Broadcom for 30% of its sales. And it's a shame because it is a beautifully simple architecture that has stood the test of time. It's nearly 30 years since the MIPS core was spun out of John Hennessy's research at Stanford [6]

Pure speculation here, but I wouldn't be surprising if BT is in discussion with Pace plc over the supply of new CPE for VDSL2. Pace recently acquired 2Wire, the US maker of broadband access equipment.[7] All of 2Wire's kit is based on the Trimedia VLIW core.

BT already supplies 2Wire equipment to its top-end customers. BT's range of "Business Hub" are all 2Wire re-brands. Now that 2Wire is British-owned, negotiations over the supply of VDSL2 CPE to BT would be easier for both BT and Pace.

Pulling off the take-over of 2Wire was quite a coup for Pace since 2Wire has major contracts around the world to supply CPE to telco giants like AT&T.

[1] http://www.icmaster.com/Datasheet.ashx?mfg=4128&part...

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_rate

[3] https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitRe...

[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_long_instruction_word

[5] http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4213168/ARM-...

[6] Dominic Sweetman's book "See MIPS Run" is a really good read on the architecture. Sweetman has a passion for a subject you would expect to be as dry as dust! In the 2nd edition of the book Sweetman covers the Linux MIPS port used in the Huawei.

[7] http://www.pace.com/Documents/Investors/101001_2wire...

Edited by asbokid (Thu 03-Nov-11 12:43:26)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 03-Nov-11 11:53:18
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

Good old Nyquist!

BT are about to start a trial of a new Business Hub 3. Could it be that it is a 2wire/Pace v5700/5500/2500 which will cater for 30a ? It has ADSL and VDSL2 interfaces wireless "n" and Gbit Ethernet.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 12:36:12
Print Post

The 200Meg options are probably some way away, i.e. three or more years I'd hazard

By which time CPE may not even be supplied by Openreach

Standard User asbokid
(regular) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:02:15
Print Post

Three years?!

It's sad how far things have slipped in Britain. Profile 30a is already a reality in places we wouldn't expect it, like the former Soviet-bloc countries and in Latin America.

It's doubtful that the Huawei (or any other Broadcom-based VDSL2 CPE device) is even capable of the theoretical max bandwidth of Profile 17a (100Mbps). In the meantime until superior kit is sourced, maybe BT will limit the demands on the Huawei by nobbling the training sequence at the DSLAMs.

Edited by asbokid (Thu 03-Nov-11 13:03:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:08:29
Print Post

VDSL2 rollout planned ends in 2014, then the work on the next third according to how contracts go.

I bet BT Martlesham Heath has been working on 30a, in fact they are often heavily involved in the profiles and standard setting.

Some countries adopt a deploy it and fix the problems attitude, the UK has a frequency plan to avoid causing problems for other xDSL services in the local loop.

If people buy the 40 and 80Meg services in their millions then am sure another speed tier will appear. For now there is no real justification for faster than that other than bragging rights.

Standard User DLS
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 15:08:06
Print Post

Thanks for an interesting analysis.

Are the DSLAMs currently being deployed by BT capable of running 30a or is any kind of upgrade required in the cabinets?
Standard User nalla
(regular) Thu 03-Nov-11 17:34:57
Print Post

thanks for that very informative.
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Thu 03-Nov-11 18:15:19
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

The "mini" DSLAMs in the cabinets are apparently from Huawei's SmartAX MA5600 series[1]. The cabinets are actively cooled, so the processors must be moderately powerful to require that.

When the VDSL2 line card in the cabinet is queried for vendor info using the xdslcmd tool in the HG612 firmware, it responds with something like "BCM:0xA19B".

"BCM" is the equipment identifier for Broadcom Corp. and A19B is the "vendor-specific identifier", maybe a firmware revision ID?

The xDSL chipset in the Huawei DSLAMs is possibly the 6511/6526 from the Broadcom BCM65xx Family [2][3]

The line cards (a.k.a. service boards) are modularised and can be removed and replaced with newer specification boards to support higher bandwidth profiles. That is what is being done with the earlier MA5605 DSLAMs that were originally designed to support up to ADSL2+.

There is a collection of documents, including presentation slides, tech manuals and firmware images, for Huawei DSLAMs at [4].

Cheers,
A

[1] http://www.huawei.com/enterprise/smartax-ma5600-ma56...
[2] http://www.broadcom.com/docs/press/product_brochure.pdf
[3] http://www.broadcom.com/products/Broadband-Carrier-A...
[4] https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6wW18mYskvBYjllZjI...

Edited by asbokid (Thu 03-Nov-11 19:36:31)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 21:07:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
BT are about to start a trial of a new Business Hub 3. Could it be that it is a 2wire/Pace v5700/5500/2500 which will cater for 30a ? It has ADSL and VDSL2 interfaces wireless "n" and Gbit Ethernet.
The BT Business Hub, Ver. 3.0 is already being deployed and is available to purchase via eBay. It is a 2Wire 2701HGV-C and all the current details that are known can be read at the BT Business Hub master site.

I suspect that is actually not to which you are referring but the choice of descriptor "Business Hub 3" is rather prone to misinterpretation.

Please share any future information that you might come across. wink

Edited by burakkucat (Thu 03-Nov-11 21:10:23)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 03-Nov-11 21:16:26
Print Post

Yes, I know the 2701 is called version 3 - I have two of them installed here, but BT are just field trialling the Business Hub 3 which is NOT the 2701.

Confusing? Probably!

The header from one of the field trials emails

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2011 1:43 PM
Subject: BT Business Hub 3 trial

Dear Triallist,

Thank you for completing our questionnaire. We noticed that you use BT Broadband Talk ...

Predecessor to 2700 would be Business Hub 1

2700 with v4 software would be Business Hub 2 version 1,
2700 with v5 or v6 software would be Business Hub 2 version2
2701 would be Business Hub 2 version 3

Next Hub - new range of vendor Business Hub 3

M H C

Edited by MHC (Thu 03-Nov-11 21:20:00)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 22:09:05
Print Post

Right, I see. Thank you for your added comments.

The original "Business Hub 1" was the 2Wire 1800HG (I have one stashed away in my grotto).
The following "Business Hub 2" range is the 2Wire 270nHGV (I have various Ver 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0 devices, also in my grotto).
I am currently using a non-BT 2Wire 2700HG (no V) for its simplicity and the availability of the MDC.

Please pass on any information that you can . . . both Asbokid and I will be appreciative. smile

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 04-Nov-11 01:04:06
Print Post

All I know is that the first trial release of the Business Hub 3 will not support VOIP! but later ones might.

A strange decison as there are a large number of business customers that use VOIP off the 2700 ...

M H C

Standard User asbokid
(regular) Sat 05-Nov-11 18:52:23
Print Post

Hi Guys,

I'm definitely interested in learning about BT's new plans for Pace/2Wire CPE.

The TriMedia CPU architecture to the 2Wires is interesting if challenging (more fun!) The public documentation on the TriMedia is scant and the software development toolchain - the C compiler, scheduler, assembler and linker - are all proprietary and closed source.

There is a huge userbase of TriMedia-based networked devices thanks to 2Wire's dominance in the USA. Before the Pace buyout, 2Wire was part-owned by AT&T. 2Wire devices are also supplied as CPE by telcos in Australia, Brazil, Canada and Mexico. Some of the Buffalo LinkStations have also used the TriMedia TM3260 core.

This is an open call to anyone whose curiosity is piqued by this unusual architecture, please email and let's get hacking smile

Cheers,
a

Edited by asbokid (Sat 05-Nov-11 21:21:59)

Standard User nalla
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-11 19:31:51
Print Post

well the engineer just came and fitted my new modem, he said that the new modems arebetter and faster somehow, and that all bt customers need to have either a 2b or 3b, and all customers that dont have these will be getting theirs changed out for a newer model, performance wise not mad any difference getting same speeds as before,

how do i know what profile my connection is on, just wanted to check if im on the 17a profile.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Nov-11 19:37:08
Print Post

If you can remember your estimated speed from before you got FTTC, see if the current one is considerably higher. Other than that, you either have to buy an expensive VDSL2 router or unlock your new modem.

Standard User nalla
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-11 20:12:37
Print Post

yeah my estimate from before i had fttc was 14 mb, my new estimate is 22, oh and as a result i have now been put on the up to 10 mb upload rather than the 2mbs that i used to be on

Edited by nalla (Mon 07-Nov-11 20:13:39)

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Mon 07-Nov-11 20:37:28
Print Post

need to have either a 2b or 3b, and all customers that dont have these will be getting theirs changed out for a newer model,
So, purely for my interest, which do you now have? A 2B or a 3B?

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Nov-11 22:41:11
Print Post

I do not have a 'B', '2B' or '3B' OR modem. I am, however on my third one.

My max download went from 3.6MB/s to 4.70MB/s about a fortnight ago, and has stayed there. I heard it was due to BT doing something, but details have not only been scarce, very few people have noticed it. I have a download meter running 24/7 so noticed it immediately.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-Nov-11 23:21:01
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I got a visit from BT last week. They came whilst I was out and son let the in. They changed my modem and replaced it with a 3B. The old one was fine and was running at 38m down 8m up. The new one runs at 38d 5up. My I profile is still set at 10m down.
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Tue 08-Nov-11 23:28:04
Print Post

You'll be getting a visit, in due course. wink

Standard User NVB
(member) Tue 15-Nov-11 18:42:20
Print Post

I had the new modem installed today, visually identical, performance is also identical. Engineer said reliability will be better with this revision. One other thing he said is it must be used with the supplied power brick (i.e don't chop & change power bricks)
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Tue 15-Nov-11 18:54:33
Print Post

[re: NVB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NVB:
I had the new modem installed today, visually identical, performance is also identical. Engineer said reliability will be better with this revision. One other thing he said is it must be used with the supplied power brick (i.e don't chop & change power bricks)
The supplied PSU should be white coloured and I would be very surprised if there isn't a big, bold, black 3B in the top right-hand corner of the main label on the back of the HG612.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-Nov-11 20:32:51
Print Post

I assume that it is BT moving you onto the 17a VDSL2 profile on your cabinet.

People who have drayteks have seen the profiles change from 8c to 17a with the corresponding jump in speed for the last few weeks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Nov-11 21:48:57
Print Post

Plenty of the 2B's out there, with a black PSU, which are perfectly acceptable. The white PSU doesn't appear till the 3B.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Nov-11 21:50:03
Print Post

I do not have a Draytek router, and would not, but that is for another time.

Like most people, I use the OR modem to connect and the router has no influence on the speed at which it connects.

The only reason I have noticed the speed increase, is that since my Compuserve days, I have always had a download monitor running continuously as I can always see a graph of my downloading.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 15-Nov-11 23:10:55
Print Post

The Tech who did my modem change last week - a 2B said that he had been told new PSUs with all new modems. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, or was it his Line Manager putting an instruction in place that would be clear to all, including the short-term partially trained.

M H C

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Nov-11 04:16:35
Print Post

The older (original) model that BT is having replaced with an "improved" model. I received my letter from BT today telling me about the new model, I have to wait to be contacted and then make an appointment for the engineer to come install the new model (I have had my existing modem since February without a single problem but I will be accepting the new one).
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Nov-11 20:10:31
Print Post

hi all, got a letter from bt today stating that i will be receiving a new free modem, and i need to arrange an appointment with them to install the modem, i already have fttc in the form of bt option 3 because my line estimate was below 15mb, but this changed on friday, i now get an estimate of 22mb, is this in line with the doubling of speed they have announced, just wandering why i need a new modem, does this make a big difference.

One would imagine that the modems have a high fail rate .

I would imagine that the manufacturer has agreed to meet the costs of a bulk replacement as it is cheaper than paying Openreach for repeat visits on an ad hoc basis.

Take the offer of proactive replacement.

ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Tue 22-Nov-11 14:24:04
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

Hi Guys

Just thought I would let you know why this is happening, we�ve been listening to customer feedback and identified a reliability problem with the modem which causes disconnections or even total loss of service and this is why we are now taking steps to replace the modem. Letters will be sent to anyone who was supplied with an Openreach Modem as part of their BT Infinity order before August 2011

In the letter it will explain the next steps - you'll be contacted by our partner Kelly Communications offering you a free appointment to fit your new free Openreach Modem - the modem swap takes about 30 minutes.

If you have any questions just let me know.

David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Nov-11 14:26:13
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

What takes 30 minutes?

All you have to do is plug it in...

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 22-Nov-11 14:34:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by BT_Care:
Letters will be sent to anyone who was supplied with an Openreach Modem as part of their BT Infinity order before August 2011
How about those who were supplied with an OR modem as part of an FTTC order with another ISP, will their modems be replaced?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Tue 22-Nov-11 16:45:53
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Good question. I've had my modem since April 2010, about 18 months now. Thankfully it's still alive, maybe because I've had it sitting vertically the whole time.

I know two people who are on Infinity, and they have been contacted about a replacement. I have yet to hear about someone on a different ISP getting theirs replaced though, unless it has already died and they raised a fault.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000
Standard User Croftie
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 17:03:42
Print Post

I had Infinity installed in October 2010 so I can definitely expect a replacement? Or is modem firmware version taken into consideration aswell. (I've updated it from SP06 to SP10)
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 18:35:20
Print Post

The OR engineer insisted on running a set of "line tests" when he did mine.

Cue puzzled looks from him as he realised I didn't have the VDSL faceplate fitted (I don't have an NTE5 on that line but a dual socket master) so he didn't have a lead which would go from the master to the JDSU as he was expecting RJ11-RJ11 not BT plug-RJ11

Cue puzzled looks from us both when the modem lead I use - BT plug to RJ11 connected by a 10" length of CAT5 crimped by yours truly would not work at all with the JDSU (no sync) but worked fine on the modem - eventually I fished out a standard modem lead for him to complete the tests.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 18:38:20
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

its an Openreach initiated program so end users with other ISP's will also be contacted

Edited by witchunt (Tue 22-Nov-11 18:42:48)

Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 18:42:00
Print Post

I'm guessing thats what Openreach has quoted CP's to allwo for unforeseen/enexpected issues, like the replacment being a dud. I dont suppose the Kelly contractors have much if any faulting experience if things dont work out of the box, cue time on the phone asking for advice/help. That or put the original back and run away!!
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 23-Nov-11 09:31:00
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Very good point, would be interested to find out.
Also what about those of us who have migrated from our original ISP to another ISP, will we be contacted? Hopefully BT-Care can answer that as well.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Nov-11 09:34:22
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

What each ISP does may vary, and there are proportionally very few non BT Retail FTTC customers

e.g. TalkTalk had 3,000 at last count, versus 300,000 on BT Retail.

Standard User nelix01
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-11 16:43:05
Print Post

I believe that this is being led by Openreach and they are proactively replacing the affected units for all ISP's.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Nov-11 16:44:33
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Have spoke with another FTTC ISP, and yes its not just Retail, just a case of arranging things

Standard User skgmit
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-11 19:01:11
Print Post

yes i agree

NULL
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-11 19:06:29
Print Post

Be interesting to see when they call or write to us.

Our modem works perfectly though but a new one shant hurt wink

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-11 22:08:41
Print Post

Be interesting to see when they call or write to us.

Me too. I am on a pre-B modem and look forward to getting the latest model.

DrT

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 23-Nov-11 22:16:48
Print Post

I'm perfectly happy with mine of Feb this year SP06, and there have been some posts on here about the replacements connecting more slowly for downstream.

Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 10:10:02
Print Post

the thing is when they swap them over, the dlm may see it as a loss of service and alter your profile and add a bit of interleaving, great isnt it

Edited by bobbyboyuk (Thu 24-Nov-11 10:10:42)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-11 17:40:06
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

Nah, as ever it's going to take more than one brief outage for that to happen.

Standard User Uzzy
(member) Mon 05-Dec-11 20:27:17
Print Post

I've got a question. I've got a replacement modem appointment for this week. However, I flashed the modem firmware a few weeks back to see all the stats. Would that matter at all?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 10-Dec-11 14:51:34
Print Post

[re: Uzzy] [link to this post]

Hi

did can someone put picture the new replacement modem from bt

what company ist this new modem ?

this only modem or have integrate router ?

did someone have more speed like before or speed going down

a got this letter today

and i dont have problem with my modem
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-11 15:46:08
Print Post

It's just a modified version of the one you have, if yours is white.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Jan-12 19:26:52
Print Post

Hi all,
Found this thread while engineer completed BT modem swap. I was told that they were replacing all modems as they had faulty components and were overheating. Being the cynic I am, I suspected conspiratorial bugging of decent people's houses etc.... (well, ya never know!) So far, no improvement / deterioration in broadband speed. Pretty much same as before. Will wait to hear if other family members report anything.
BTW- it took 2 mins to replace.

North London girl
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jan-12 19:35:12
Print Post

It's not being done to improve speeds, it's being done for 'FVR' fault volume reduction. Save Openreach many thousands in engineering repair visits.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Jan-12 21:25:27
Print Post

Only mentioned speeds because engineer said that some customers reported increase in broadband speed.
so far nothing has changed for us. My son did mention that our internet would disconnect during the night every now and again with the old modem.
Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 13-Jan-12 09:04:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi all,
......... Being the cynic I am, I suspected conspiratorial bugging of decent people's houses etc.... (well, ya never know!)

North London girl

I would do an electronic sweep of the premises just to make sure.

tonym
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Jan-12 14:10:08
Print Post

We've not been offered a new modem so they obviously dont care about us wink

---

(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 13-Jan-12 17:38:39
Print Post

We've not been offered a new modem so they obviously dont care about us wink

EASBF Exchange and end of July install and not heard a dickie bird here either.

tonym
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Fri 13-Jan-12 20:12:38
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

Another Northen Ireland Customer and no offer of a replacement. Not had any issues so far anyway!

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jan-12 14:16:48
Print Post

All quite here in North London (LNBAR) w.r.t a new modem. Mine is pre-2B and does not have any version number on its underside.

DrT

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jan-12 14:32:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
All quite here in North London (LNBAR) w.r.t a new modem. Mine is pre-2B and does not have any version number on its underside.

DrT

Same here in Crewe (WMHAS), mine is also one of the unmarked ones. It is not wall mounted and was installed 8th April 2011 and has not so far given any trouble.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to