General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Nov-11 08:03:56
Print Post

Re: Naughty Netgear

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Might I suggest one of the metal-cased Netgear prosafe boxes, given the harsh operating environment?

Only problem is I think they are all blue. Was it the colour or the lashing that she disliked?

I'm still waiting for my three year old to do something similar, but I suspect he might leave it to his 8 month old sister who already thinks "pull the laptop off the sofa" is a great game...
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 17-Nov-11 08:14:39
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
Only problem is I think they are all blue. Was it the colour or the lashing that she disliked?

Is that the lashing she got after stamping on the router?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Daniel_g
(learned) Thu 17-Nov-11 09:06:36
Print Post

I bought a dual band so 5Ghz as well as the normal wireless is rubbish here. Too many people, is a area of flats. On 5Ghz only I have and works ok.

Point being is a black plastic netgear something or another about just over £100 and has the blue lights flashing on the big button. This is given a visual idea of what anntenna is going, How good who knows but says it is doing something I guess. Designer thought a good idea. No unless stuck in a cupboard out of sight!.

By pressing the button a certain way, a lenght og time if I remember right this flashing can be turned off, mine is and now just the dim lights on the front do theire thing like any router.

It does flash while doing the linking up wiless clients by pressing the button then link the computer or phone, gives the 2 minutes to do then stops. It does not need to do the flashing thing all the time, but what you say it was not a good router for other reasons I guess. Mine is good, never drops wireless and linked to the BT home hub on 1 of the 1 to 4 ports, so 2 routers, BT one my laptop will drop out on as 2.4Ghz and the nice (for me) 5Ghz netgear

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daniel_g
(learned) Thu 17-Nov-11 09:55:29
Print Post

Noticed the range was not good, I had mine sat on its bottom so flat to start with, read in the manual or somewhere it should be on it;s side with the 2 clip on plastic feet, if to do with airflow or the way the signal goes out the thing, can't remember.

Our signal goes to granny downstairs as flats up and down and a nice thick concreate floor in between and then still goes while out router is by the telly as this dvd/ freeview recorder and blu-ray plug into as well for internet, updates and stuff, into her kitchen so as far as it can get, more distance than yours and two properties.

When family visit her and use for laptop or phone with no problem once that horrible flashing light is been used to log them on for the first time, maybe you had a duff one.

Have you googled inSSIDer 2.0 and looked at that to see what wireless is around you. Mine can go upto 20 networks outside, less in but on 2.4 GHx, rubbish (polite way). Might have been that but with the £15 one going I guess not.
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Nov-11 09:56:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by ionic:

Is that the lashing she got after stamping on the router?

Don't tempt me!

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 17-Nov-11 10:03:24
Print Post

Get hold of a 2wire2701 from ebay ...

They are designed to be mounted upright on a desk but with some mirror clips they sit nicely on a wall. I can provide pictures if needed.

Wireless is good and it has the necessary WAN input.

editted to remove reference to 2700 which is not really suitable for FTTC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Thu 17-Nov-11 10:51:50)

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Nov-11 10:20:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

oops!
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Nov-11 10:32:10
Print Post

I take you have cable or FTTC posting in this section about your router, if that is the case I would highly recommend this router..

Asus RT-N56U Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid...

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Sync 39999D 9995U
Attenuation: 9.6 SNR: 11.4
Line Length 300meters
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Nov-11 17:18:43
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

No. She is just the most mischievous destructive two year old on the planet. She is akin to evil Sid in Toy Story as far as my gadgets are concerned.

Live BQM

37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Nov-11 11:49:07
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I use this one

http://www.dabs.com/products/buffalo-wireless-n-nfin...

Which is £26 and Robertos uses the previous model.

It has a nice wireless N range over 2.4 GHz but it only as 10/100 ethernet, but hey what do you expect for under £30
Ok, so I've decided to go for this one. If RobertoS uses it then that will do for me. I looked into the Asus with it's "amplified reception" or whatever, but I would rather buy two Buffalos for less than the Asus price. That gives me a spare and in the meantime I can use the other as a repeater station?

Which brings me to my next question. I am going to hard wire some points around the house. Modem downstairs with main router providing wireless coverage to same.

Then etherne cable to 2nd router upstairs covering wireless to same.

I then intend to hard wire 4 points (via loft and externalwall) to up and downstairs rooms, connected to 2nd router via patch leads. Does this complicate the repeater set up of the 2nd router or will it remain pretty much plug and play? if so I can reverse the situation and make the upstairs router the main one, but as the modem is downstairs it would be simpler the other way round.

And what is the big disadvantage of 10/100? I don't move info around the home, I just want wired connectivity to the net in each of the rooms. I assume I will be able to connect at 100 internally and at my current 40 Mbps externally? If FTTC jumps to 80 Mbps will this setup still suffice?

Thanks. smile

Live BQM

37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to