General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 07:09:53
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband - Traffic Shaping

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by reddev86:
The only way I know how to bypass the shaping on Infinity is via VPN. Not bad if you already have VPN capability for other uses, but if you don't that's extra expense on top of your monthly costs.

I went with Plusnet for a few reasons. Though they do have a few cons to go with the pros as well.

Pros:

A: 120GB peak allowance - plenty for me, equates to 4GB a day, and most days im at work, all my downloading is done overnight anyway.

B: Honest about shaping - Unlike other ISPs with vague FUPs, Plusnet come clean with what you should expect from your connection, with regards to speed at certain times of the day via certain protocols.

C: The ability to disable shaping altogether - Something Infinity does not have, an extra £5 a month to Plusnet, and there is no shaping, end of. Even with the extra £5, it only takes the monthly fee up to £26.49 for 120GB peak usage (8am-midnight) and absolutely unlimited off-peak. I did close to 1TB last month off-peak and I didn't even have to try that hard.

D: Option of a Static IP - I'm not sure if Infinity has this option, but I didn't think so.

Cons:

A: The 120GB peak time allowance counts upload traffic as well, not a major problem for me, but for other people that upload lots, that could be a problem.

B: No 10Mbit upload option - for now you are stuck with the 2Mbit upload variant. Though they do have plans to provide the 10Mbit option in future, along with the 20Mbit option when it is released.

C: No IPv6 yet - again they have plans to provide it in future, it's in the trial stages, but it's not that important for me - but may be a problem for others.

you almost had me sold, until the 2mbit upload part. shame on that.

Do plusnet still have capacity issues so even with pro its full speed during peak?
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Fri 16-Dec-11 12:41:52
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Haven't experienced any capacity issues on Plusnet for a long time.

They are constantly increasing 20CN and 21CN capacity as and when it's required.

I get full speed 24/7.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN exchange - 550m from cabinet
Netgear WNR1000
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 13:37:38
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

ok thanks.

it seems my main issue is that all the providers want long tie ins.

I may have to use the distance selling act to get out of a contract if the first month is poor.

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 16-Dec-11 13:38:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-Dec-11 20:01:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
it seems my main issue is that all the providers want long tie ins.

I may have to use the distance selling act to get out of a contract if the first month is poor.
I think you will find that in effect the act does not apply once you are live. ISP-getout clauses and goodwill are more likely effective routes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 20:30:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think you right or rather the problem is more that it is unlikely I would have the service live within 7 days of agreeing the contract. It seems the act is weak in regard to service as the idea of it is to allow a consumer to back out of a purchase if it wasnt what it seems as they couldnt examine what they buying without face to face. To me services are the same, the only way to see how the service works is to actually sign up as things liek congestion, line quality etc. wont show until then.

It seems if I am right every single FTTC product in the market is long term only 12+ months. So whoever agrees to give me a 30 day get out clause gets my custom (at least initially).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-Dec-11 23:48:30
Print Post

That's because the Openreach mininum period is 12 months.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to