General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Dec-11 23:22:25
Print Post

Just when is Canterbury getting Infinity?

[link to this post]

So I have been eagerly waiting for Openreach to install Fibre in Canterbury.

The first time I checked the estimated date was Sep 2011, which was then moved to 31st of December 2011. Recently I have seen many Openreach vans including big ones and what appears to be fibre cable being laid down. According to this site: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ (Canterbury exchange is accepting orders.)

And SamKnows.com states that Canterbury will have FTTC by 31/12/2011.

However the confusion comes from BT's own infinity page. The "See when it's available in your area map" which only a day or so ago stated Canterbury at 31/12/2011. Now states infinity will only be available 30th June 2012.

So could anybody please assist me in figuring out whether I am going to have to wait almost 6 months before fibre is available?
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 16-Dec-11 20:11:29
Print Post

Re: Just when is Canterbury getting Infinity?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Works have been on-going in Canterbury for a few months now (see my post here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4046579-cab...

A work colleague of mine had a call last week from BT Retail after he registered interest in ordering Infinity. He placed the order only to have another call on Wednesday saying that the order had been cancelled.

It seems likely that the exchange may be ready but individual cabinets are still at different phases of completion.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Standard User Jabes
(member) Mon 19-Dec-11 19:37:52
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

According to ELGIN they're working on my cabinet this week. Anyone know how quickly after the cabinet is done that orders start being available?

Zen

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-Dec-11 21:09:40
Print Post

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

It can be days. It can be over 6 months frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-11 21:21:52
Print Post

The whole exchange (well the cabinets they have/are enabling) would all go live at the same time.

Considering BT can't even organise traffic lights for a Leased Line in this area I doubt they will enable Canterbury any time soon. Openreach's current date is set for December 2012, YES two thousand and twelve!

***EDIT***

My bad it looks like BT OR are now saying Canterbury is accepting orders.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Mon 19-Dec-11 21:26:44)

Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-11 21:45:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
So could anybody please assist me in figuring out whether I am going to have to wait almost 6 months before fibre is available?

Try using this checker - as it will be the most reliable.

BT tend to wait until 10 or 15 cabs in an exchange area are ready and then declare the exchange is RFS/accepting orders.

However, not all the cabinets are done by this date as some take longer than others (or have planning, power or duct issues).

Remember though, the 'end of quarter' dates are just place-holders - and when BT know when a cabinet will go live, they can change the date at very short notice.

OTOH, if it says 30th June 2012 and isn't done by mid June, it will 'automatically' change to 30th September 2012 - even if is going to be enabled in July..
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 21-Dec-11 20:12:44
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

The pavement by my cabinet is dug up, I guess the new one will drop in in a few days.

My postcode says I am active on the checker, but phone number not yet..

Best wishes
James

Zen
Standard User Jabes
(member) Sat 24-Dec-11 11:45:27
Print Post

And now the new cabinet is in (well it was finished yesterday)

Best wishes
James

Zen
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 00:16:25
Print Post

Well I have just done some research into this and found that a very large majority of Canterbury Street cabinets have been upgraded to support BT-Infinity.

However, there are some cabinets almost double the distance from the exchange than mine that have received Infinity, but not my cabinet. Also my cabinet services a brand new housing estate (CT2 7LN) which is high density as it has many apartments and houses.

Yet BT and OR can't include this street cabinet for an upgrade to Infinity.
This does not make sense.

- -
Edit: if the lines are literally brand new and run under-ground to the house, I was told that that street cabinet would most likely not receive FTTC, as in the future they would jump straight to FTTP, but how long will that take. Next 5 years, I would rather just get FTTC now!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 00:59:26
Print Post

It seems two of the largest new developments in Canterbury are being missed.

BT have no plans to enable cabinet 73 (the one you connect to) and 71 (the one I connect to) and most of the Ciry centre will be missed to.

I put a poster on no. 71 ... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28466011/missing%20fttc%20ca...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 27-Jan-12 18:29:51
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Haha, nice idea.

Will trying something similar.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jan-12 18:33:17
Print Post

Don't think it worked BT or someone removed the poster. Can't be bothered to put another one up.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Jabes
(member) Sun 26-Feb-12 21:37:57
Print Post

My cabinet is having power put in at the moment, so things are moving forward - slower than I would like though!

Zen
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Mar-12 14:15:17
Print Post

Well today there are large Openreach vans pulling something through the street ducting just outside Kingsbrook Park. No Idea if this means anything for the actual estate yet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Mar-12 14:54:17
Print Post

Link the black and yellow tubing in this picture?

http://www.farina1.com/fibre/wgc_media/source/IMG_43...

The inner tubes are what the fibre gets blown through

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Thu 01-Mar-12 16:09:16
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

City Centres have not featured in the OR rollout, mainly i would assume to be leased lines etc to buinsess.

The larger residential developments will be enabled at a later phase, in one of my local towns a very new build is being enabled in phase 9a, when the exchange went back live in phase 5b.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Mar-12 12:43:54
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Hmm, not sure about the tubing (colour) as all I could see was that they were pulling something through the ducting, using a long blue cord. I saw this earlier this year when they presumably where installing FTTC up Tyler Hill. Same sort of large van as well, was being used.

However, on this spreadsheet It seems to suggest that 20% of lines on the cabinet for CT27LN will be FTTC enabled. However, this spreadsheet is December 2012, so I doubt the cabinet will be ready in the next month or so, I can only hope. But it does look like some lines will get this year now to hope mine is one.
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-12 13:29:32
Print Post

What that actually means is 20% of the lines for that postcode is supplied from that cabinet, the other 80% are supplied from other cabinets which haven't yet been scheduled (when the spreadsheet was done) for FTTC.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Mar-12 23:27:20
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Then, how would I find which other cabinets service the other 80% of my post code. As the spreadsheet only gives 1 cabinet for CT27LN which is the the one servicing 20% of lines.

Is there than anyway to find out exactly which cab. services my line?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Mar-12 23:50:22
Print Post

When I search for CT27LN on the "big Spreadsheet" for FTTC 2012 I find the cab serving 20% of lines, no other cabs are listed for CT27LN. What exactly does this mean and is how do I know if my line is on this cab or not?
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Sat 03-Mar-12 01:20:10
Print Post

There were two spreadsheets leaked from BT, somebody took out all the empty postcodes to make it smaller when merged together. Any postcodes not in the spreadsheet, or any cabinets not listed for a postcode mean that they were not scheduled when the spreadsheet was leaked, so best hope your on the 20% of lines listed.

Apart from asking a BT engineer I've not come across another way since I've been looking, unless you can physicaly follow your line.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Sat 03-Mar-12 16:32:09
Print Post

When I search for CT27LN on the "big Spreadsheet" for FTTC 2012 I find the cab serving 20% of lines, no other cabs are listed for CT27LN. What exactly does this mean and is how do I know if my line is on this cab or not?

The other 80% of the lines are serrved by cabinet 73, there is no date yet for FTTC.

NDCAN CANTERBURY CT27LN {NDCAN}{P73} 0 80%

You will have to wait and see once the first lot of cabinets are enabled, if a second round are scheduled.
Cabinet 73 is most likely the one on the stonebridge road once you come over the bridge into the new estate and is on the right.
Most likely it will be enabled as its a new build residential and i would expect it too appear in the next spreadsheet.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 03-Mar-12 22:36:52
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Send BT a message via this page, I was unsure as to which cabinet my house is connected to, and received a response the next day informing me my cabinet number.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Mar-12 12:32:05
Print Post

Well BT Appear to be installing fiber to the cabinet just over the bridge into Kingsbrook Park. There are two vans plus a roll of what looks to be fiber, its a thickish black cable. However, will Openreach have to put a new FTTC cab, next to the existing one, or will FTTC be installed into the current one?

Looks like I am definitely on this cab asked on of the technicians and he said I was, so I can only now hope I am one of the 20% of lines to get FTTC.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Mar-12 12:47:10
Print Post

So I am just a bit confused about something, It looks like CT2 7LN is getting FTTC by 30-June-2012 or so the BT checker is stating. However, I found this out by searching the post code checker on the BT infinity page, but using some of my neighbours house numbers. Now as far as I know, these houses are on the very Cab. that Openreach is currently working on, the same one I am.

But, when I do a check for my house address I get: "Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet...", but my area is going to be enabled by 30-june or so. Is there any way, once FTTC is installed, to request it. The neighbours house is only about 100m closer to the cab than our house.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Fri 09-Mar-12 13:31:38
Print Post

Check the wholesale checker on a daily basis.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Mar-12 14:00:04
Print Post

... will Openreach have to put a new FTTC cab, next to the existing one, or will FTTC be installed into the current one?
FTTC is always a cabinet within 50 metres of the one (PCP) your line is connected to. I have a page about how it works.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Mar-12 14:05:37
Print Post

So I am just a bit confused about something, It looks like CT2 7LN is getting FTTC by 30-June-2012 or so the BT checker is stating. However, I found this out by searching the post code checker on the BT infinity page, but using some of my neighbours house numbers. Now as far as I know, these houses are on the very Cab. that Openreach is currently working on, the same one I am.

But, when I do a check for my house address I get: "Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet...", but my area is going to be enabled by 30-june or so. Is there any way, once FTTC is installed, to request it. The neighbours house is only about 100m closer to the cab than our house.
20% of the lines at that postcode are served by cab 1, and that is in Phase 6a so I would have thought it would be live by now.

The other 80% are on cab 73, and that isn't sheduled at all as at December 2011.

When FTTC is available you have to order an upgrade or migrate to it. It isn't an auto-upgrade of your ADSLx.

Edit - just seen this has already been posted, before the post I just quoted/replied to frown.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 09-Mar-12 14:07:49)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Apr-12 01:51:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

One thing I just don't understand is why no: 4 CT2 7LN is set to get FTTC by the 30th of June 2012.

However, my house number along with every other house number in this post code: CT2 7LN including the cabinet have no FTTC date.

This is on both the BT Wholesale checker and BT Infinity Checker. Also I can confirm that no 4 is on the same cabinet that I am on.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Apr-12 11:45:04
Print Post

Also I can confirm that no 4 is on the same cabinet that I am on.
I agree it is a puzzle, but how do you know this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Apr-12 18:51:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A few weeks ago a BT engineer was working on installing more lines to the brand new houses in Kingsbrook Park. I Asked him about BT Infinity Installation in Kingsbrook Park, which he had no solid information on. I then asked him this same question about BT Infinity's checker stating that number 4 was receiving Infinity in June and he said he was unsure of that. As he then said that number 4 was definitely connected to the same cabinet as I was and that it would be very unlikely that only 1 house in such a dense development would receive FTTC.

I suppose he could be wrong, but that is all I have to go on.

Also No 4 is part of a terrace housing and I think it would be odd if only a single house in a terrace was on a completely separate cabinet.
Standard User Jabes
(member) Sun 22-Apr-12 21:53:42
Print Post

Some parts of Canterbury are active now. My own order is in for infinity to be installed Wednesday!

Zen
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Apr-12 15:32:09
Print Post

Placed my order last night for 80MB Infinity!!! Shame i'm away next week so cannot get the engineer till i'm back, rats!
Cabinet is right outside my house so should get full 80MB or there abouts.
Moved from Croydon last year which just got enabled, and i'd placed my order and then had to cancel it forgetting i was moving house. so been 7 months for faster than 4MB internet...
Ed
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 12:06:17
Print Post

My 40/10 service is installed and working now. The engineer said he had 3 to do today, 2 from my cab

Best wishes
James

Zen
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:12:56
Print Post

Which cab were you again?

vFast Ltd
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:19:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Yaz:
Which cab were you again?

35 I think (Old Dover Road, junction with Nackington Road)

- Zen Fibre
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 02-Jun-12 16:28:46
Print Post

Just came across this forum post.

Hopefully somebody can explain this to me. I am also a resident in the post code: CT2 7LN. Now on the December 2012 PCP document [[url="https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapid=S351604JNil"]Link]. It states that CT2 7LN is also served by PCP1, now I know there is also another cabinet PCP73 which serves 80% and is not planned to get FTTC.

However, PCP1 which serves 20% of lines (as I understand it) in CT2 7LN has been upgraded to FTTC in phase 6a. However, when ever I check any BT or BT wholesale checker not 1 house in CT2 7LN can get BT Infinity.

So what exactly is going on, should not at least the houses connected to PCP1 be able to get FTTC?

Also does anybody have access to the April document to see if PCP73 is planned to get FTTC in the future, I find it very strange that Openreach simply ignored this one considering it the area it server. I am also fairly certain I am also connected to PCP73.

Thanks anyway
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 02-Jun-12 17:11:42
Print Post

FYI - the cab located on Tyler Hill Road near the Londis shop in Blean appears to be active. Work colleague of mine is getting FTTC installed Wednesday 6th June.

No change for the cab near the Royal Oak pub further up on Blean Common, still listed for 30th June.

vFast Ltd
Standard User Fugitive_Legacy
(newbie) Sat 02-Jun-12 17:28:34
Print Post

Does this mean roll out is still happening in Canterbury?

Went for a drive about a week ago and was shocked at how few FTTC cabinets I could find only found around 8, sure there are more though. And as far as I could tell Openreach started rolling out FTTC in January and seemed as if it was all over in less then 2 weeks.

Have not seen any new cabinets or OR large vans since February. But if the roll-out is still on going that is good news.

One thing that concerns me about this enter roll-out is the not spots it is generating. One area has around 76Mbps, 4 minutes walk and you are lucky to get 4 - 5Mbps. Luckily I can get around 11Mbps, but only 3 minutes walk you can get over 60Mbps.

Is there a long term plan for areas that seem to not be FTTC planned such as CT2 7LN?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to