General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Jan-12 12:19:06
Print Post

Re: Unlocking the HG612 before install ?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ive has 5 power cuts since i had infinity installed and 3 of them were in rapid succession, plus the times it was off to unlock the modem and it made naff all difference, same sync, same attainable rate and same ping. Like you say people seem prettified to go near the power switch in case a black hole opens up or something.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-12 18:46:28
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alnath:
Ive has 5 power cuts since i had infinity installed and 3 of them were in rapid succession, plus the times it was off to unlock the modem and it made naff all difference, same sync, same attainable rate and same ping. Like you say people seem prettified to go near the power switch in case a black hole opens up or something.
Ooooo tongue. Lipstick and makeup? smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Jan-12 10:31:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ill leave my typo in so you dont look like you are randomly babbling wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Jan-12 21:04:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If this happened, then
the line is likely to remain at a very low rate till a re-train is forced by the user
powering off the Active NTE.

Does this mean that an end user can force a complete retrain (just like an ISP or BT engineer can request) just by unplugging the modem? If so, for how long must it remain disconnected?

TIA

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Jan-12 21:43:59
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

It is just the same as existing ADSL modems remaining at a low rate until retrained manually, i.e. ADSL modems if they have a large amount of spare noise margin do not automatically resync to eat this up, they wait for you or a power glitch to start this process off.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Jan-12 22:52:55
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
If this happened, then
the line is likely to remain at a very low rate till a re-train is forced by the user
powering off the Active NTE.

Does this mean that an end user can force a complete retrain (just like an ISP or BT engineer can request) just by unplugging the modem? If so, for how long must it remain disconnected?
Confusion easily arises from the poor choice of words by someone in BT in the past, with the same being an ongoing problem - not just in respect of line training.

Whenever a modem communicates with another one, since data transmission was invented, the initial process of negotiation they carry out by sending various signals back and forth, to determine the optimum rate at which to set up the link, is called "training". That's what the poster is talking about.

Unfortunately when BT Wholesale introduced IPStream and related/similar products they used the word "training" to refer to a 10-day period during which the system's parameters for noise margin and a few other things were established, though in practice these are/were established on most lines during the first 75 minutes, and the rest of the 10 days merely records the lowest sync speed in that period. That becomes the MSR, and the FTR is 80% of the MSR.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to