General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-12 22:21:21
Print Post

Re: BT Wholesale order acceptance - how concrete is it?

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
If you can PM me your number/postcode I can check if your cab is on the latest "just enabled" list smile
Anons can't tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jan-12 22:28:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm the original Anonymous, and I didn't post that.

It looks like from the now-leaked December spreadsheet that my road appears to have FTTC (it says "Yes" under deployed), and rather annoyingly the new housing estate has/is getting FTTP. Can't have everything I guess.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-12 23:08:28
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Troubled is "Deployed = Yes" doesn't necessarily mean it is installed. It just means it is in the plan. The nearest you can get to a date on the spreadsheet is the "Phase".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 10:49:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As a followup:

Engineer arrived a couple of hours ago, modem installed and all is well. According to him the cabinet went live today and I was the second customer (and first home) to get it.

Synced at 40/10 fine, and the JDSU reports 140Mbit down/31Mbit up as a theoretical max.

Pretty happy so far.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 06-Jan-12 11:14:43
Print Post

How close to the cabinet are you?

A lot depends on the actual band plan implemented which defines the up and down tones but your result on downstream is possibly the best that can be achieved. I have seen various figures for 17A but they are all around 120Mbps down and 60 Mbps up for line up to 1000/1200 feet (in perfect conditions) which suggests the BT bandplan is biassed towards downstream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 12:11:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Google Earth suggests about 390m - but who knows how more/less the line routing adds.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 06-Jan-12 12:24:21
Print Post

At that distance you should be able to get a reasonable guess.

Fibre cabinet to PCP (original cabinet) +2m + distance underground to pole (Just look at the line of poles to get a good estimate of route), + 7m to get to the top of the pole, +drop wire to house + 2m (catenary) + internal routing to master.

At around 1300 feet you are at the point where performance will start to tail off but certainly an excellent result. Mine is around 450-480m and I am down at around 65Mb potential.

M H C

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 13:24:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

What's interesting is that the modem (with unlocked firmware) is saying 95Mbit down max (with roughly the same predicted upstream as the JDSU).

Is this due to using different algorithms to calculate the figure, or something silly like the modem is reporting what the max would be on the current profile (and not what it might be on that 30a one) whereas the JDSU does it differently?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 06-Jan-12 14:56:23
Print Post

The modem, whether it is the Huawei or the one inside the JDSU will have to work with te defined profile and it gains that information in the initial training so a 30x/17a mismatch could never occur.

The characteristic impedance of the JDSU will probably be a lot better match than that of the modem - and will be reflected in the ability to work throughout the range. A JDSU will cost at least £1000 if not £2000 and a modem costs £10 - the quality and accuracy is way different.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to