General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jjpearce
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 17:31:51
Print Post

BT Broadband with Fibre - speed increased !!

[link to this post]

Tested tonight and it either it is a fluke or the 2Mb cap has been lifted :

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=13275...

My download has been gradually increasing over the past few weeks and today my download has magically increased to 2763kbps

Happy days smile

My Broadband Speed Test

The Bt Broadband Option 3 with fibre was previously limiting the upload speed to 2Mbps - see other posts in the forum around this subject.

Edited by jjpearce (Thu 26-Jan-12 17:45:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 17:44:02
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband with Fibre - speed increased !!

[re: jjpearce] [link to this post]

BBMax can give fluke results. If any cap has been removed it will show up in the down/up IP Profiles from the BT speed test. What cap do you mean smile ?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 26-Jan-12 18:43:59
Print Post

What does the BT test say?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jjpearce
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:43:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 16697 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12397-17711 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -17711 Kbps

This was previously an IP Profile of 2000Kbps
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2652 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

Note - I have not asked BT for any changes - this appears to have happened automatically

This was my profile back in August 2011 :
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4033275-re-...

Edited by jjpearce (Thu 26-Jan-12 19:47:24)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:49:48
Print Post

Deliberate, a fluke, or an error ...

Could be either and I'll keep an eye on mine to see if it moves up - currently 2000 profile.

You must be a fair way off from the exchange to only get 2600 though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Jan-12 20:17:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by jjpearce:
My Broadband Speed Test

Pretty poor speed for Fibre! This speed more suitable for ADSL2+

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User nalla
(member) Thu 26-Jan-12 20:43:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

he is referring to the bt broadband with fibre cap that has a 2mb upload only, due to the fact that his estimated speed will be below 15mb so he cannot have the full fat infinity product, happened to me when they went onto profile 17a, my estimate went from 14.3mb to 22mb which allowed me onto the the infinity product, therefore giving me the upto 10mb dl rahter than 2mb, on another side note i just got another speed boos today, gone from 27mb dl to 37 mb, woo hoo.
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Fri 27-Jan-12 00:42:28
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Pretty poor speed for Fibre! This speed more suitable for ADSL2+

That really depends on how much extra distance there was between exchange and cabinet.

VDSL2 is still DSL, and so dependent on length & quality of the copper, but only as far as the cabinet. It ought to always be better than ADSL2+, unless the cabinet is ridiculously close to the exchange.
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jan-12 02:01:38
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Even my line on ADSL2+ are lots quickest than his Fibre (seem not right at his Fibre only getting 15.9 Meg ! Pretty poor by BT really)

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jan-12 08:28:42
Print Post

Even my line on ADSL2+ are lots quickest than his Fibre (seem not right at his Fibre only getting 15.9 Meg ! Pretty poor by BT really)

We don't know how rural the OP is; but if the previous ADSL service was only 512k or 1meg, then 15.9meg would be the same jump as those of us on 15meg get by going to 40.

I have friends in my town who cannot get ADSL at all, (BT engineer tried, no sync due to distance). FTTC boxes have been seen in that neighbourhood for the last year.

OP could live in an area like that, but with no cable - there are lots around the country.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-12 08:48:35
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I would contend that the jump from 0.5 to 1Meg is vastly more significant that a jump from 15 Mbps to 40Mbps.

Reason? 0.5 to 1 Meg will play only basic video streaming, whereas those already with over 6 Meg have access to high bit rate (HD) streaming video sources. Also due to the fragmentory nature of web page delivery over about 2 Mbps the speed improvement from first click to final element load is linear. The latency in DNS resolution and browser getting the raw HTTP and then requesting the various other elments of a page are also a speed limiter for http.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 09:13:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My fibre is only getting 14.7 and upload of 0.7 , 1060 metres of aluminum , £26.80 a month , still better than 3 on adsl2 though.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 27-Jan-12 10:53:13
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I agree I have seen people who were a mile from their cabinet and finally getting some decent speeds.

Not everybody can have the luxury of being right on top of their cabinet or next to an exchange.
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Fri 27-Jan-12 12:03:50
Print Post

That's because you're lucky to be close to the exchange, so ADSL2+ is capable of giving you those kind of speeds. For every person in your position, there are 10x as many who find their position considerably worse.

The rollout of fibre isn't *only* about increasing the headline speed to 40Mbps, but is *also* about getting the DSLAMs further out into the network so they are closer to more of the customers. With doing this, it gives "decent" speeds to many people who previously got by on less than 1Mbps.

Without putting the VDSL2 DSLAMs out in the cabinet, even you wouldn't be close enough to the exchange to benefit from the headline speed increase.

For some of us, the shift is from 8Mbps to 40Mbps, and can be readily described as "nice". But as Mr Saffron says, those who shift from 512Kbps to 15Mbps, the effect of the change is *considerably* better than that.

In this case, you need to stop thinking like someone who gets near 20Mbps on ADSL2+, and start thinking like someone who has spent a decade getting 512Kbps on good days, and disconnections on bad ones. Stop being selfish!
Standard User cjbell68
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 14:13:11
Print Post

Having gone from 2.5mbps at a push to a stable 40mbps (17a) I throughly agree smile
Lots of people on our exchange were around the 250kbps / 512kbps mark, things are dramatically improved now.

Colin

plusnet
Value Fibre

Edited by cjbell68 (Fri 27-Jan-12 14:14:37)

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Fri 27-Jan-12 14:22:37
Print Post

[re: cjbell68] [link to this post]

Ah yes - stability. That's another thing that the relatively shorter lines to cabinet offer. For some, this too is significant.

I do realise that there are some people who aren't having such a good time with stability - and it is not to BT's credit that they hide the information that would help sort out such issues.
Standard User cjbell68
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 14:39:43
Print Post

Yes, it's a shame they didn't make the modem stats readily available.

I guess perhaps it prevents issues with the modem to router connection / PPPOE passthrough - and maybe helps manage expectations as people can't see the attainable rate (and spot that something might be amiss with the connection speed!)

Colin

plusnet
Value Fibre
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:44:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Ah yes - stability. That's another thing that the relatively shorter lines to cabinet offer. For some, this too is significant.

Not half, i've gone from a 3.5KM line that would sync on G.DMT at 6.5Mbit but if a fly farted in the wong direction it was off, if there was any electrical activity in the skys, forget it, wipeout till the coast was clear. Now i have so much noise margin to spare its brilliant, uber reliable.
Standard User jjpearce
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:51:01
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

I'm happy(ish), although always want more speed smile

However I'm just under a 1Km from the cabinet - (although sadly there is another fibre cab just 200m (approx) round the corner from me, but my line isn't connected to that one).

I actually live in the suburbs, approximately 14 miles as the crow flies from central London.

My ADSL speed was 3.5Mbps, so you could say I have had a fairly significant improvement on my speeds, plus the upload is vastly improved.

I could have subscribed to Virgin Media broadband, but when I did the sums, BT Broadband was better value and I got a new "gadget" to play with !!

I would of course prefer the full 40Mbps, but never mind - the only small irk is that I do may the same as someone who gets full speed - however, I knew this when I signed he contract.
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Jan-12 03:29:41
Print Post

WWWombat

I am not selfish, I just want to make sure he get a fibre speed, 15.9 Meg isn't a fibre at all. BT is robbed his line off. I would complaint if my FTTC (Fibre) is less than my ADSL2+ at 16.4Mbps.

plusnetADSL2+16.4 Meg
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by adslmax (Sat 28-Jan-12 03:30:48)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jan-12 08:17:33
Print Post

You are not reading this right. The OP has ordered the sub 15meg product from his ISP, this is because the distance from the DSLAM street cabinet to his premises is too great to support a higher sync rate.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Sat 28-Jan-12 09:12:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In this case, you need to stop thinking like someone who gets near 20Mbps on ADSL2+, and start thinking like someone who has spent a decade getting 512Kbps on good days, and disconnections on bad ones. Stop being selfish!

I was a member of the 0.5Mb to 1Mb (on a very good day) club for many years.

My own FTTC hasn't been so good at all for a few months, but I just couldn't go back to ADSL. It would feel like dialup in comparison.
Standard User reddev86
(regular) Sat 28-Jan-12 13:42:23
Print Post

You missed the point he was trying to make entirely.

FTTC via Plusnet Fibre Extra Pro
DS: 39999 US: capped to 2000
NILN PCP 31 - 520m line length
Netgear WNR1000
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sat 28-Jan-12 18:47:53
Print Post

I am not selfish, I just want to make sure he get a fibre speed, 15.9 Meg isn't a fibre at all. BT is robbed his line off. I would complaint if my FTTC (Fibre) is less than my ADSL2+ at 16.4Mbps.

But your fibre speed wouldn't be less than your ADSL2+ speed, so no reason for you to complain. Their fibre speed is miles more than their ADSL speed, they are not complaining (but would like better), and certainly understand their position better than you do.

Remember that FTTC isn't fibre. It is fibre combined with DSL over copper (but faster DSL and shorter copper). And the DSL-over-copper component is still distance-dependent, and so still limits speeds. While the distance limitations are much worse for FTTC than for ADSL2+, the fact that the measurement is done from each of the 50-100 cabinets that an exchange has, rather than the 1 exchange building, means that many fewer people experience low speeds. Some do, but the vast majority experience less of a limitation on FTTC than on ADSL2+.

It is pointless trying to compare their fibre speed with your ADSL2+ speed because your distance is entirely different, and the place we are measuring distance towards is different.

So saying "15.9 Meg isn't fibre at all" means you just have no understanding of the technology providing the current FTTC solution, and the limitations of the technology or the limitations of the economics involved.

You might wish for better, but your wishes can't beat the limits that we can push technology in 2012 nor the economics that apply to a privately-invested rollout.

Edited by WWWombat (Sat 28-Jan-12 18:53:14)

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 00:38:09
Print Post

Pushing out fibre into the network definately benefited me.

After much tuning, extra low SNRs etc I could just about hit 3.5 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up -- a lot better than many (@5km)

At around 470m I'm getting 40/10 (38/8 in throughput) with the modem predicting a max currently of around 63/25

So my *current speed* is around a 10x improvement & changes me from barely able to stream hd, single stream sd, to "it just works". That's a major shift.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 01:46:16
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by planetf1:
changes me from barely able to stream hd, single stream sd, to "it just works". That's a major shift.

That sums the whole thing up. The numbers don't matter - but if you (the generic customer) get to the point where "it just works," then BT have got the rollout balance right.

For me, we shouldn't be arguing about the actual speed - so long as it is "enough" - or the technology that finally managed to deliver that speed.

It is now really a matter of getting that "it just works" feeling out to more & more of the remote corners of the kingdom. That probably means pole-mounted mini-DSLAMs, rather than FTTremoteH. The response to BDUK & council funding will be interesting over the next few months.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to