General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevepressman
(regular) Sat 28-Jan-12 19:41:59
Print Post

Can I retrain my connection?

[link to this post]

For the past week until Friday when BT came and swapped out my modem I have seen a rapid speed decrease owing to the modem losing connection and then reconnecting. I now have the new modem running and not a single drop of connection, all well and good.

Before the original modem started playing up I was getting see link to test

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/Stevie_Pres...

Now after the new modem I am stuck at see link to test

So question is can I retrain or do I need to get on to my ISP and for them to get on to BT ?

Regards

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sat 28-Jan-12 23:18:48
Print Post

Re: Can I retrain my connection?

[re: stevepressman] [link to this post]

BT don't seem very responsive to ISPs asking for this on FTTC lines. Instead, they seem to insist on it being ordered by the engineer as part of his visit to fix your line (or modem).

But I've also seen it go round in circles, where ISP and BT each say that it is the other's responsibility.

But my feel here is that the Openreach engineer should have phoned through to a support desk (within Openreach, and only responsive to Openreach engineers) to order the retrain.

The start of retraining then seems to be an instantaneous thing; DLM retraining then takes 2-3 days.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-12 10:46:33
Print Post

As WW says, did the engineer, after swapping out the modem, make a call to get the sync rate recalculated ?

This isn't the be-all and end-all, even after a recalc, I have seen that throughput is being 'capped' by 'something'. Though this usually isn't the case.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Sun 29-Jan-12 11:15:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

FWIW, my ISP (Plusnet) tell me that at the moment, an engineer's site visit is definitely required for FTTC connections as BT will NOT reset anything on an ISP's request.

However, they did also add that they have been informed by BT that this is likely to change in the not too distant future, with the very slight possibility that ISPs can actually press the reset button, somewhat similar to how they can reset ADSL connections at the moment.

However, not all visiting engineers will request a reset, some have even refused to do so.

One engineer tried his hardest to get my connection reset, but the remote centre where this is done refused, leaving me at that time with a capped 25Mb sync speed.

Following re-syncs / reboots, my attainable rate usually starts off at around 35Mb, but I cannot actually sync any higher than around 29.3Mb to 29.9Mb (at best).

This makes me think that if there are no longer any physical faults on my connection, it must be a cap controlled by BT's remote centre.

Although the latest engineer did improve matters by replacing a section of external drop wire, he also refused to request a reset.

My ISP can't tell me whether or not BT are currently capping my sync speeds as BT apparently REFUSE to tell them.

So, it all seems to be very much the luck of the draw in these matters frown

My ISP can & often does control throughput for FTTC connections (traffic management at peak periods, exceeded monthly download allowances etc.)

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Sun 29-Jan-12 11:18:54)

Standard User smurf46
(member) Sun 29-Jan-12 12:01:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
This isn't the be-all and end-all, even after a recalc, I have seen that throughput is being 'capped' by 'something'. Though this usually isn't the case.

What is this "something"? I have an interesting situation where despite being on a 10Mbps upload profile, my upload is capped at the DSLAM at 7.2Mbps. This is a different matter from the sync rate, although it is clearly limiting the sync rate which is 6.6Mbps. This happened with the introduction of the 17a profile.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Jan-12 12:18:27
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

With FTTC people need to be clearer who they are talking about as the relationships are

ISP - BT Wholesale - Openreach

or if TalkTalk Fibre boost

TalkTalk - Openreach

even with BT Infinity it is

BT Retail - BT Wholesale - Openreach

The extended chinese whispers mean that things are lost in translation usually.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jan-12 12:45:39
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smurf46:
What is this "something"?
Probably means he can't find out.
I have an interesting situation where despite being on a 10Mbps upload profile, my upload is capped at the DSLAM at 7.2Mbps. This is a different matter from the sync rate, although it is clearly limiting the sync rate which is 6.6Mbps. This happened with the introduction of the 17a profile.
smile
That doesn't make sense. Your upload IP profile cannot be 10Mbps as well as 7.2Mbps, so perhaps you mean the product you are on is the 10Mbps one. Just like ADSLx, it is "up to n".

Neither if you are getting a speed test upload of 7.2Mbps can the sync rate be 6.6Mbps.

You seem a bit confused about what the various terms mean. What does the BT Performance Tester say please, the text in the up and down boxes? (Use the FTTC button, not the beta one).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 29-Jan-12 12:47:58)

(member) Sun 29-Jan-12 12:50:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Perhaps ISPs themselves could be clearer.

Plusnet only ever to refer to the BT lot as "Our Suppliers".

I only ever refer to BT:-
a) because it is less typing &
b) because They are all part of the BT group of companies &
c) because I don't/didn't really know who is responsible for what.

Clear communication (or lack of) is definitely a big problem in the equation.

One Openreach engineer actually told me that if he was having a chat about FTTC matters with another Openreach engineer in the shared canteen, they have been specifically instructed to cease the conversation if a non-Openreach engineer walks in for his bacon butty.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-12 13:06:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Probably means he can't find out.

Oh yea of little faith ! smile I believe it's cap at the ISP end of things, the sync rate is restored to it's maximum rate, but through put speed tests stay low.
That doesn't make sense. Your upload IP profile cannot be 10Mbps as well as 7.2Mbps, so perhaps you mean the product you are on is the 10Mbps one. Just like ADSLx, it is "up to n".

Neither if you are getting a speed test upload of 7.2Mbps can the sync rate be 6.6Mbps.

Yes, that doesn't make sense.

Standard User smurf46
(member) Sun 29-Jan-12 13:08:15
Print Post

RE: That doesn't make sense. Your upload IP profile cannot be 10Mbps as well as 7.2Mbps, so perhaps you mean the product you are on is the 10Mbps one.

OK. I'm on a 40/10 service, which corresponds with the IP profiles reported by the BT speedtester, not the beta. However, I use a modem which gives stats, and separately reports the maximum DSLAM throughput which should equate to the profile; not the separately reported attainable figure (which is higher on the download) or actual sync rates (both lower, as expected).

The maximum DSLAM throughput is consistent with the IP profile as I would expect on the upload, but is significantly lower at 7.2Mbps on the upload. I'm not convinced the modem would just misreport on the upload (though I accept it is possible). But it's equally possible that there is some other restriction in force. I'd just like to find out for curiosity sake. I'm not suggesting there's anything underhand or wrong going on - there might well be a good reason or some other explanation.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Sun 29-Jan-12 13:55:16)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-12 13:12:44
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

a) because it is less typing

OR ? Seems to be as about as easy to type as BT ?

One Openreach engineer actually told me that if he was having a chat about FTTC matters with another Openreach engineer in the shared canteen, they have been specifically instructed to cease the conversation if a non-Openreach engineer walks in for his bacon butty.

Canteen ?? Spoiled gits. No canteens round this way, a kettle and occasionally a microwave. [glum]

(member) Sun 29-Jan-12 13:32:10
Print Post

a) because it is less typing

OR ? Seems to be as about as easy to type as BT ?

O.K. I'll try to remember, but I'm at that "funny" age now frown

Canteen ?? Spoiled gits. No canteens round this way, a kettle and occasionally a microwave. [glum]

Microwave? A [censored] Microwave?

I have a "soft" job now, but having been in the Building Industry all of my working life, I still "fondly" remeber being sat on a cement bag, p#ssed wet through, in the back of a clapped out Transit van & even more "fondly" remember crapping in a cold galvanised bucket & wiping the old arris with a bit torn off the aforementioned cement bag.

Happy days though...........

EDIT:
Shall we quit now, before it gets to be like
Monty Python sketch

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Sun 29-Jan-12 13:40:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jan-12 13:53:31
Print Post

tongue
You've left yourself open to quite an insult there. See if you can spot the one I'm thinking of smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

(member) Sun 29-Jan-12 14:53:35
Print Post

Hi Bob,

Do you mean talking about soft jobs & crapping in a bucket?

Or do you mean can I actually remember how to spell remember?

Pray, do tell. Where I have made the gaffe smile

Or is it just that obvious that I can't see it (at my "funny" age)?

Paul.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jan-12 15:27:48
Print Post

I think I'd better PM it grin.

(member) Sun 29-Jan-12 16:11:13
Print Post

It's O.K. Bob,

I know I am what you mentioned in the PM smile

By all means, feel free to post it

burakkucat would have done anyway

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Sun 29-Jan-12 16:13:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jan-12 17:20:30
Print Post

LOL, no. Glad you thought it was funny too smile.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sun 29-Jan-12 17:54:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
It's O.K. Bob,

I know I am what you mentioned in the PM smile

By all means, feel free to post it

burakkucat would have done anyway
Hmm? I've done many things . . . wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jan-12 21:26:47
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
... burakkucat would have done anyway
Hmm? I've done many things . . . wink
I draw the line at posting it to someone I don't wish to insult. Pity, because the chance of posting it in reply to anyone I do wish to insult is approximately zero.

(regular) Tue 31-Jan-12 03:38:00
Print Post

As WW says, did the engineer, after swapping out the modem, make a call to get the sync rate recalculated ?

No sadly he did not.

Can I get on to my ISP to see if they can get anything done ?

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by stevepressman (Tue 31-Jan-12 03:39:13)

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 09:38:58
Print Post

You certainly can. Tell them speeds haven't improved, and that the engineer (or is that 'technician'?) didn't phone to get the line reset.

The ISP probably can't do anything other than order a new visit from OR.
(regular) Tue 31-Jan-12 10:31:53
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks Wombat.
He was from BT so I guess he was an Engineer ??

I'll get onto them later just waiting for the scrap man to come and take my poor old Mondeo to that Great Scrap Yard in the sky.

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 04:16:49
Print Post

So I got onto my ISP and this is what they told me.

Hi Stephen

Many thanks for your BT speed test.
As it stands your speeds are currently above BT threshold limits.
I have passed the result onto the network technicians ...but in all honesty ...they may not be able to request an profile reset from BT core systems. (with your speeds being above BT threshold limits).

Once an update comes through ...i shall let you know what was concluded.
Hope this helps.
Should you require any further assistance ...please do not hesitate to give us a fresh shout.

So where do I go from here ?

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro
(member) Wed 01-Feb-12 08:28:56
Print Post

Are you still stuck at 29Mb throughput & is that at quiet times e.g. after midnight & before 08:00 a.m.?

My own ISP (Plusnet) do seem to have a little glitch with their own throughput profiling system.

i.e. Some users achieving the full 40Mb sync speed are receiving much lower throughput despite Plusnet's own profile being set at 37Mb.
(The 37Mb profile name actually means 40Mb, so I'm not quite sure why Plusnet chose to name it 37Mb - maybe it was intended to more closely match theoretical maximum throughput rather than sync speed?)

Some other users are achieving the max 37.5Mb (approx) throughput although Plusnet's Current Line Speed (throughput profile) is being reported as low as 13Mb or 15Mb in some cases.

On Plusnet resettting their own throughput profile back to 37Mb, some of these users have seen a decrease in throughput speeds to 35Mb or lower.

FYI, BT's IP Profile (BRAS Rate) is usually 96.79% of sync speed & throughput is usually around 97% of BT's IP Profile - when tested via speedtest.net & other similar online speed testers.
So, a 39999 K sync speed should result in a throughput speed of around 37.5Mb.

For my connection, BT's speed/performance tester ALWAYS shows a slightly lower DS throughput speed than speedtest.net et al, by around 1.5Mb to 2Mb.

THe TBB speed test almost always shows an even lower throughput speed for my connection.

Who is your ISP?

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Wed 01-Feb-12 08:49:53)

(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 10:19:02
Print Post

@ Bald-Eagle Yes I am still stuck at that speed, although the upload speed is now back to normal. I done two BT Tests for you to look at:

1. Done at 00:20 on 01.02.12

2. Done at 10:07 on 01.02.12

Slowly pulling my hair out now as you can see from my Speed Sig what I was normally getting until the frigging Modem packed up and had to be changed.

My ISP is ADSL24

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro

Edited by stevepressman (Wed 01-Feb-12 10:20:10)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 01-Feb-12 11:03:40
Print Post

not sure if i should get mine changed now. i have a first gen but not had any issues with it, reading this has put me right off im currently sync at 39999 / 10000 with through put of 35-37 is this an isolated issue or a common issue ?

many thanks

darren
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 12:12:28
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The new modem isn't the issue. His old one went bonkers and screwed the line settings. Just the line should have been set back to defaults afterwards and wasn't.

That's why the old modems are being replaced, before they do it to you and me and anyone else.

My Feb 2011 one is an old one and fine, like yours. I'm going to try to hold onto it when the new one is brought, so I have a spare anyway smile.

(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 14:52:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The new modem isn't the issue. His old one went bonkers and screwed the line settings. Just the line should have been set back to defaults afterwards and wasn't.

That's why the old modems are being replaced, before they do it to you and me and anyone else.

Roberto is quite correct it was the old Modem that was the source of my problem not anything else. The New Modem has been rock solid and not a single dropped connection since last Thursday lunchtime when the BT Engineer plugged it in, now if my ISP can get their finger out of their backside and get my line reset I will be a lot happier.

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro
(member) Wed 01-Feb-12 17:46:21
Print Post

Your IP profile of 29036K suggests a sync speed of 29999 K.

It may be pure coincidence, but that does look suspiciously like a 30Mb sync speed cap to me.
(39999 K is the sync speed for the 40Mb service - for those whose connections are physically able to connect at full speed).

The question has to be, what is currently restricting your sync speed that wasn't previously restricting it.

If we assume you were indeed genuinely achieving 35Mb+ throughput for a reasonably prolonged period, it may suggest that DLM has set your sync profile at a lower level due to the previous connection issue(s).

This may resolve itself over a prolonged period of a continuous & relatively error free connection.

However, we are aware that the sync speed profile can occasionally end up "stuck" indefinitely at too low a level, especially following repair work and/or replacement of a defective modem.
Currently this can only be reset via an engineer's site visit when he/she has to contact the fibre centre & request it.
Any requests directly from end users or ISPs are apparently politely refused.

I have personally suffered from a problematic connection for 6 months that was more or less perfect for the first month.

Modems have been replaced unnecessarily, various repair works have been carried out, my connection is now supposedly at the best it could ever be, yet I cannot currently sync over 30Mb.

Not all engineers will request such a reset. Some even refuse to request it (at least 2 engineers in my case).

One engineer did try his hardest to get it reset, but the fibre centre refused, on the basis that my connection could only have ever supported a sync speed of 24Mb maximum.
That engineer actually had in his hand a number of dated printouts of my connection achieving 33Mb throughput, suggesting a sync speed of around 35Mb.
Some of the printouts were from BT's own speed tests.

One engineer actually contacted my ISP to query why I was looking for throughput speeds of more than 20Mb when he was only seeing 22Mb at the cabinet.
He was politely informed by my ISP that I had a FTTC connection with an "up to" 40Mb sync speed.
He was one of the engineers that refused to request a reset.

Slowly pulling my hair out now as you can see from my Speed Sig what I was normally getting until the frigging Modem packed up and had to be changed.

I know what you mean.
Why else do you think my forum name is BALD_ Eagle1?

All I can suggest is that you keep on at your ISP to request a specialist engineer who has actually received the relevant training, to visit your home in order to request a reset (at no cost to yourself).
Unfortunately, not all the engineers who are sent to investigate/repair FTTC faults have received relevant training.
Please don't directly blame them for any failings as it is NOT ALWAYS THEIR FAULT.

I have to assume that you have already carried out the usual tests of disconnecting any internal wiring (extensions etc.) to eliminate any internal issues that would undoubtedly end up in you having to foot the bill for the engineer's visit.

No definitive answers I'm afraid, but perhaps food for thought?

Paul.
(regular) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:21:01
Print Post

Well this is the reply I got back from my ISP to say I am livid is an understatement!!

Hi Stephen

I have received an update from the network technicians who have assessed your line and can confirm thar your speed profile is set between 20-40mb down and can confirm that its currently operating between acceptable parameters.

As for your sync speed it should have risen a little.
but please note we cannot log a fault case with BT unless your throughput speed dropped to below 8mb and your sync speed dropped below 12mb.
fault threshold limits for the Home Fibre packages.

hope this helps.

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:36:05
Print Post

Point out that the fault previously logged has not been satisfactorily fixed and you require them to insist that Openreach complete the job. Openreach may have closed the fault but that was an incorrect action.

(regular) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:37:38
Print Post

Oh Yes good thinking Roberto I will do that as soon as I get back from the weekly shop before the snow arrives.

Steve

(regular) Sat 04-Feb-12 15:05:08
Print Post

It would appear I have fixed my problem. While playing around with my DNS setting I had to disconnect and then reconnect. Guess what my speed is now back to normal again smile So all it needed was to disconnect the modem and then reconnect it. Shame I never thought of that sooner!

Steve

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 04-Feb-12 15:16:57
Print Post

LOL!

Shakespeare wrote a play with an appropriate title.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 04-Feb-12 15:18:46
Print Post

I thought that was the only fix for anything? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
(regular) Sat 04-Feb-12 15:24:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
LOL!

Shakespeare wrote a play with an appropriate title.

Yes he did smile

Here is my speed again smile Yayyyyyyyyyyy

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1751585281.png

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro
(regular) Sat 04-Feb-12 15:27:58
Print Post

I can now look forward to the Planned Speed Upgrades soon and from what the BT Engineer told me I can expect 67Mbps Down and 18Mbps Up. Seems we have come a long way from my first 1200 Modem and Bulletin Board days smile

Steve

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro

Edited by stevepressman (Sat 04-Feb-12 15:29:57)

(regular) Sat 04-Feb-12 15:28:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I thought that was the only fix for anything? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0

I should have thought of that in the first place

My Broadband Speed Test

ADSL24 Fibre 30 Pro
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 04-Feb-12 15:31:21
Print Post

I don't always either wink

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to