General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Feb-12 10:53:10
Print Post

Re: fibre on a long line?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
my line has only ever achieved 2mb with an adsl connection, fibre is now avilable on our exchange and the initial online checks say we are able to achieve 15+mb, is this really possible on a long line or is the online checker inacurate?

many thanks

My friend got 1Mbit on ADSL and Infinity he gets 7Mbit. The cab in his case is also miles away but going from 1Mbit to 7Mbit is a much more noticable than say 15Mbit to 40mbit so he is delighted.

Edit:

Actualy i lied, just checked and he is now bubbling along at just over 8Mbit.

Edited by Alnath (Fri 03-Feb-12 10:55:49)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 03-Feb-12 11:04:12
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Out postcode is BT35 9ED. We currently get 2-3Mb from our ADSL line.

The spreadsheet says that 100% of lines on the exchange would be updated to FTTC and the cabinet we connect to has been upgraded (from checking some local numbers and driving past it). However, we cannot get infinity at all. The checkers all say no.

I know the line is probably quite long, but why can we not even get the BT Broadband with fibre option instead of infinity?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 11:04:58
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alnath:
just checked and he is now bubbling along at just over 8Mbit.
I know the OR modems are reputed to get hot, but water-cooling is an extreme solution.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 11:30:52
Print Post

The spreadsheet says that 100% of lines on the exchange would be updated to FTTC and the cabinet we connect to has been upgraded (from checking some local numbers and driving past it). However, we cannot get infinity at all. The checkers all say no.

I know the line is probably quite long, but why can we not even get the BT Broadband with fibre option instead of infinity?
What does this checker say? You must us your phone number in it. Not the postcode or address.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-12 11:51:46
Print Post

From the same spreadsheet, I made a quick BatchGeo map of all the postcodes using cabinet 4. The pins are the centres of each postcode area, but they are still spread out over a 5 mile distance - which is a very big area!

I suspect you are just too far from the cabinet for the estimated speed to be above the 5Mb threshold. The threshold is probably somewhere around 2 miles, depending on the quality of the copper.

If you are really interested, you could probably take each of the 38 postcodes, and put them into BTW's checker to see what speeds the various postcodes manage; then you'd have an idea how close you are to the threshold.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 03-Feb-12 11:53:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does this checker say? You must us your phone number in it. Not the postcode or address.

Says the same old stuff.

For Telephone Number 02830****** on Exchange FORKHILL

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Additionally, your line may be able to support an estimated ADSL speed between 1 to 2 Mbps using Broadband Enabling Technology. A solution created specifically for communities who have very long telephone lines. If you decide to place an order, an appointment might be required where an engineer may need to visit your premises who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

I just seems we have been left out of it. The area is very rural, but the distance to the cabinet is alot shorter than the distance to the exchange. Even the broadband with fibre would be an improvement.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to