General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Feb-12 15:26:57
Print Post

fibre on a long line?

[link to this post]

my line has only ever achieved 2mb with an adsl connection, fibre is now avilable on our exchange and the initial online checks say we are able to achieve 15+mb, is this really possible on a long line or is the online checker inacurate?

many thanks
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-12 15:29:15
Print Post

Re: fibre on a long line?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
my line has only ever achieved 2mb with an adsl connection, fibre is now avilable on our exchange and the initial online checks say we are able to achieve 15+mb, is this really possible on a long line or is the online checker inacurate?
It's very possible. The equipment that used to be a long way away (inside the exchange) has been replaced by better equipment a lot closer to you (a roadside cabinet). Well - not replaced as such because the old equipment is still in the exchange and still in use but should you choose to upgrade your line will be jumpered across to the new cabinet from your current cabinet.

The new cabinet is connected to the exchange by fibre so can be any distance really. In fact my new cabinet is connected to a different exchange - one that's over 12 miles away.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Thu 02-Feb-12 15:35:01)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Feb-12 15:35:12
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Are the online speed estimations for FTTC usual accurate? and would it tell me based on my telephone number if I was unable to get FTTC?

man thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 15:37:53
Print Post

I would say the FTTC estimates are usually under estimates.

It is best to check using a telephone number, as a postcode can have some properties in it that are not served by that cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User James1o1o
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-12 15:38:45
Print Post

Yeah I would say it is wrong, your speed will probably be much higher than it says!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Feb-12 15:40:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for the answers, finally what is the best isp to go with at the moment for FTTC? price/allowance.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:02:55
Print Post

Theres quite a selection to choose from, Robertos site list all the suppliers that provide a FTTC service with links to their pricing.

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/isps_offering_fttc.html

As to who is best, it all depends how much you are willing to pay.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:14:41
Print Post

thanks for the answers, finally what is the best isp to go with at the moment for FTTC? price/allowance.

Someone has an excellent spreadsheet on here with lots of options.

Plusnet Value is fairly cheap at about UKP16.50 per month got 40GB in peak times. The limitations on that are that:
8:00 am -12:00am is peak time 7days a week, i.e. weekends are the same as weekdays.
One the value package the limit your speeds for quite a lot of the day for some sorts of traffic.
see Broadband Download Speeds and traffic management.

Note the 40Gb includes both downloads and uploads. I found I used a great deal more than I thought I would.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-12 16:26:44
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Yes, I thought 40GB would be enough, then I got an Internet radio and two Freeview HD boxes with iPlayer and that theory kind of evaporated, but 120GB is still enough and it's only an extra £5. Yet another £5 will free you from most of the traffic management and give you full line speed at all times. Overall Plusnet FTTC has been great, apart from their monumental traffic management cock-up this morning, but that's another story!

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Thu 02-Feb-12 19:04:45
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

The link mentioned above is here: -

Fibre Deals

Kindly set up and maintained by Forum members Orly and Yarwell.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 02-Feb-12 19:22:24
Print Post

Note that almost all speed checker results we have seen in the past have been underestimates, but BT put in place an updated speed-checker last weekend.

The reason for the change (in the checker) was to make allowance for the updates (in the cabinets) that now allow higher speeds (up to 80/20) for those closer to the cabinet - but those same updates also improve download speeds for those further away too (ie better download speeds up to 40/10), though they can also decrease the upload speeds.

The problem is that we haven't got much of a feel (yet) for whether the new estimates are still an under-estimate, or if they have made them a bit more accurate.

My current FTTC line was originally predicted as 29/11 and achieved 40/10. It is now predicted as being 40/18. I think many more people are getting predictions of 40Mbps.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Feb-12 19:28:29
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I too used to max out at 2mb but now on fibre i get the full 40/15 due to the cabinet being directly outside my house laugh
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 02-Feb-12 19:29:30
Print Post

would it tell me based on my telephone number if I was unable to get FTTC?

The checker will tell you if you can get FTTC when you put the phone number in - and prefixes this with a date in the future if it is still planned. This is the most accurate result.

If you use your address, then it still seems to get things right, but has a clause telling you it might not be accurate.

If you use just the postcode, then the clause is still present, and the prediction is more likely to be a range - and could be wrong (it might tell you that it is available, when it isn't). In addition, it seems to forget about the future date, so makes you think it is available immediately.

The various suppliers all go from the same information as you get with your phone number - so if it tells you that you can get FTTC, then any supplier will accept your order

EXCEPT

BT won't sell you their retail package called "Infinity" if your predicted speed is less than 15Mb. They'll sell you a different package instead, which used to be the same price as Infinity, but I'm not sure now.

Other suppliers will happily accept your order, and won't confuse you about the name wink
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 19:41:36
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
Someone has an excellent spreadsheet on here with lots of options
tongue
It's the spreadsheet link referred to in the reference to my list smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Feb-12 19:43:42
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Moradin:

Fibre Deals

And on my page linked to earlier smile.

I doubt if either my list or the spreadsheet is now really comprehensive, but a good place to start.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 02-Feb-12 20:21:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Moradin:

Fibre Deals

Not forgetting the FTTC survey either.

Perhaps that needs to be re-run, with the advent of the 17a profiles!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 21:17:26
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

The 40 prediction is usually an ISP set limit as they aren't selling more than 40 Meg yet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:20:56
Print Post

unlimited 80/20 packages from 6th February i thought... ? (although still going to be shown as a trial).

perhaps James can clarify ?

not sure what this means (cut and paste)

Following the deployment of EMP R1800, 80/20 will be available to support trial activity. The formal trial communications (including terms and conditions) were made available in December 2011.
The technical trial started on Monday 9 January 2012 A full CP customer pilot will then run for up to 6 months MLC will be updated with the new band plan speed estimates over the weekend of 28/29 January 2012 We anticipate entering full Customer Pilot on Monday 6 February.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Moradin (Thu 02-Feb-12 22:30:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:38:18
Print Post

Even once its not a trial down to an individual ISP as to when they decide (if ever) to sell that speed.

EMP - the interfaces ISP use to order and get information on services. Basically six months of trials from 6th Feb.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-12 00:56:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The 40 prediction is usually an ISP set limit as they aren't selling more than 40 Meg yet

That would be right on an ISP-based checker, but the conversation was about BTW's checker - the Granddaddy. They have the 40 cap for downstream, but have misplaced the upstream cap.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Feb-12 10:53:10
Print Post

many thanks

My friend got 1Mbit on ADSL and Infinity he gets 7Mbit. The cab in his case is also miles away but going from 1Mbit to 7Mbit is a much more noticable than say 15Mbit to 40mbit so he is delighted.

Edit:

Actualy i lied, just checked and he is now bubbling along at just over 8Mbit.

Edited by Alnath (Fri 03-Feb-12 10:55:49)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 03-Feb-12 11:04:12
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Out postcode is BT35 9ED. We currently get 2-3Mb from our ADSL line.

The spreadsheet says that 100% of lines on the exchange would be updated to FTTC and the cabinet we connect to has been upgraded (from checking some local numbers and driving past it). However, we cannot get infinity at all. The checkers all say no.

I know the line is probably quite long, but why can we not even get the BT Broadband with fibre option instead of infinity?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 11:04:58
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alnath:
just checked and he is now bubbling along at just over 8Mbit.
I know the OR modems are reputed to get hot, but water-cooling is an extreme solution.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 11:30:52
Print Post

The spreadsheet says that 100% of lines on the exchange would be updated to FTTC and the cabinet we connect to has been upgraded (from checking some local numbers and driving past it). However, we cannot get infinity at all. The checkers all say no.

I know the line is probably quite long, but why can we not even get the BT Broadband with fibre option instead of infinity?
What does this checker say? You must us your phone number in it. Not the postcode or address.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-12 11:51:46
Print Post

From the same spreadsheet, I made a quick BatchGeo map of all the postcodes using cabinet 4. The pins are the centres of each postcode area, but they are still spread out over a 5 mile distance - which is a very big area!

I suspect you are just too far from the cabinet for the estimated speed to be above the 5Mb threshold. The threshold is probably somewhere around 2 miles, depending on the quality of the copper.

If you are really interested, you could probably take each of the 38 postcodes, and put them into BTW's checker to see what speeds the various postcodes manage; then you'd have an idea how close you are to the threshold.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 03-Feb-12 11:53:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does this checker say? You must us your phone number in it. Not the postcode or address.

Says the same old stuff.

For Telephone Number 02830****** on Exchange FORKHILL

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Additionally, your line may be able to support an estimated ADSL speed between 1 to 2 Mbps using Broadband Enabling Technology. A solution created specifically for communities who have very long telephone lines. If you decide to place an order, an appointment might be required where an engineer may need to visit your premises who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

I just seems we have been left out of it. The area is very rural, but the distance to the cabinet is alot shorter than the distance to the exchange. Even the broadband with fibre would be an improvement.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to