General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swampster
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 01:35:02
Print Post

Re: Digital Region - Littlebigone - Origin

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how LB1 are getting upload speeds above 10Mb, the way I understand it is they'd have no control over the speeds as such. All that stuff is done by Thales the technical operator of the Digital Region network..

Basically the type of product available to one provider on the network is open to all the providers... but that said I've never had over 10Mbs upload..

Don't forget the speeds are dependant on distance just like normal DSL is. However the distance should theoretically be much shorter.. but still it depends how far away from the cabinet you are, and the quality of the copper between your house and the cabinet too.

And no, you can't access the Cellpipe 'modem' at all.. it's pre-programmed and delivered to you, you plug it in and it operates in a bridged mode.. so it's effectively invisible.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 02:02:25
Print Post

[re: swampster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by swampster:
I'm not sure how LB1 are getting upload speeds above 10Mb, the way I understand it is they'd have no control over the speeds as such. All that stuff is done by Thales the technical operator of the Digital Region network..

Basically the type of product available to one provider on the network is open to all the providers... but that said I've never had over 10Mbs upload..

Don't forget the speeds are dependant on distance just like normal DSL is. However the distance should theoretically be much shorter.. but still it depends how far away from the cabinet you are, and the quality of the copper between your house and the cabinet too.

And no, you can't access the Cellpipe 'modem' at all.. it's pre-programmed and delivered to you, you plug it in and it operates in a bridged mode.. so it's effectively invisible.

Did'nt think they'd give you access to the modem lol yea im only about 300-350M estimated 38/10 but i know of people farer than that who get full 40 so not too worried

Taken from the DRN page

The Digital Region network currently has an average download speed of 37Mbps, over six times faster than the UK average (reported by OFCOM). Upload speeds are an impressive 13 Mbps which means the network is truly superfast.

What’s more, speeds of 40 – 100 Mbps will soon be available on the network making South Yorkshire one of the best connected regions in the UK.

so i guess thats were LB1 get there past 10meg up from lol

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk + Three MBB Via Samsung GS2
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 9732kbps/ 796kbps (active) => 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg => 17/11/11 Talktalk 11105kbps/1020kbps (active) => 30/1/12 Three 4157Kbps/1536Kbps (active)
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Feb-12 03:38:25
Print Post

[re: swampster] [link to this post]

I keep looking at Origin, but they never update their checker service. I put my details in and they always say I'm not enabled, but I know my region has been up and running for nearly 2 months now.

I can't afford the setup fee's to move over to them. This is BT's fault however as they are screwing over digital region over charges. I'm waiting to see what price/packages are announced once BT rolls out the 80Mb service. I expect some kind of response from digital region, but it does appear they aren't very business savvy.. This is to be expected from a government run business though, clueless.

edit: Origin *finally* updated their checker. Predicts I can get 34Mb down 10Mb up. So that's something at least. Maybe I'll be in a position to move over to their network later this year.

Edited by LeJimster (Mon 06-Feb-12 03:49:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johndrfc
(newbie) Mon 06-Feb-12 07:45:27
Print Post

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

I've been with Origin for about a month getting constant 23.5 down and 1.93 up (24d and 2 up package)
They are really helpful and go that extra mile for you, my previous provider Plusnet stuffed everything up cut off, broadband phonelines and everything it was only after Origin got on the phone to them that they admitted they were in the wrong as they totally denied it talking to me to me. I must admit untill that time I had no issue with PLusnet and had a decent service from them.
Origin dropped a dongle round to my house to borrow untill they could sort out the mess left behind. (and I mean dropped it round on the way home from work none of that Royal Mail rubbish)

As someone else said customer service that actually cares
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 06-Feb-12 10:52:25
Print Post

i cant go with BT infinity as you need a BT line my mum wont let me have BT in her house she hates them lol she says you want anything to do with them you can get um when you move out lol i cant afford that at the moment so Infinity is a no, which leaves sky and talktalk

That'll be Sky and TalkTalk that use a BT Openreach line then ? LOL

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 11:15:30
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
i cant go with BT infinity as you need a BT line my mum wont let me have BT in her house she hates them lol she says you want anything to do with them you can get um when you move out lol i cant afford that at the moment so Infinity is a no, which leaves sky and talktalk

That'll be Sky and TalkTalk that use a BT Openreach line then ? LOL

Yea lol ive got 2 full LLU connections with sky and talk talk at the mo lol i was more referring to BT retail though lol they uber screwed her over 16 year ago and it really P****D her off to extent if BT retail was the only phone and BB provider in the UK shed do without lol,
At first when i mentioned moving to sky from virgin media originally and mentioned open reach it was NOOO!!! not having anything to do with that slime ball company i said they only put then actually line in from pole then sky handle it all we pay sky not BT after 3 weeks of reassuring her we did not pay BT 1 penny (well obvs sky do but thats not directly lol) She finally said yes and has been happy with the fair few quid a month saying on line rental,

But with the streaming services becoming more popular and steam games psn games getting bigger the ADSL is'nt cutting it any more when we first switched from virgin media it more more getting used to the longer download times but still generaly been ok,
Now its getting to the point its longer download times and also not enough capacity you know having to chose to download the latest game of watch a netflix movie (at mo usually download the game on taktalk and watch netflix on sky but id rather be paying 1 linerental and one broadband),
That's were FTTC comes in although i would like sky or talktalk FTTC (it would obvs be a lot easier seen as im already with the 2 ) but skys dont come out till April and that is then on weather BTOR have enabled the cab its date has already been moved 4 times so im not holding my breath for it to be done this march as planned were as digital region are enabled now and offer full 10meg upload for the same price as talktalk charge for the 2meg and as you well know hosting online games = bigger upload bigger online game lol.

Sorry for the little essay just wanted to get most of the points out lol

keep looking at Origin, but they never update their checker service. I put my details in and they always say I'm not enabled, but I know my region has been up and running for nearly 2 months now.

I can't afford the setup fee's to move over to them. This is BT's fault however as they are screwing over digital region over charges. I'm waiting to see what price/packages are announced once BT rolls out the 80Mb service. I expect some kind of response from digital region, but it does appear they aren't very business savvy.. This is to be expected from a government run business though, clueless.

When i was on the phone to origin last night they told me they allow you to spread the install cost over 3 months £25x3 for the top 2 packages or £18.33x3 for lower one he said there also trailing upto 90meg for some time this summer using 17a like BT but some reason there going 10meg over the BTOR(80) he didnt mention the upload though i presume it will be around the 20meg and said theyd have more info in the coming months after the trial wich has been going well so far

Ash

Sky + TalkTalk + Three MBB Via Samsung GS2
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 9732kbps/ 796kbps (active) => 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg => 17/11/11 Talktalk 11105kbps/1020kbps (active) => 30/1/12 Three 4157Kbps/1536Kbps (active)
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 13:30:19
Print Post

We're with LittleBigOne.

We have mixed feelings about them at moment. We've got the broadband and phone package.
Disappointed to discover their phone services are actually VOIP, which isn't mentioned on their site. Caller ID not working yet for us either.
Couldn't get web pages for a full week.
At 160mtrs from the green box and getting 37Mbps down via Ethernet but capped at 2Mbps up. Wifi speeds with 'n' have achieved a max of 18Mbps down.
Customer support comes across as very good sometimes, as some staff are clearly more helpful than others. However, I have received responses like, "I'll have to look into that", I'll pass that on", I'll need to talk to an engineer" from their customer/technical support number. Only one member so far seems to go out of his way to help.
Router provided is a Zyxel P-2812HNU-F1.

Good job we didn't agree to have one of their advertisement boards.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Tue 07-Feb-12 13:56:21
Print Post

[re: TraceT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TraceT:
We're with LittleBigOne.

We have mixed feelings about them at moment. We've got the broadband and phone package.
Disappointed to discover their phone services are actually VOIP, which isn't mentioned on their site. Caller ID not working yet for us either.
At 160mtrs from the green box and getting 37Mbps down via Ethernet but capped at 2Mbps up. Wifi speeds with 'n' have achieved a max of 18Mbps down.
Customer support comes across as very good sometimes, as some staff are clearly more helpful than others. However, I have received responses like, "I'll have to look into that", I'll pass that on", I'll need to talk to an engineer" from their customer/technical support number. Only one member so far seems to go out of his way to help.

Thanks for the info i new about the phone been voip already but not a problem as i wont be taking there phone out, dont use wifi either so again not a issure lol

The 2 meg upload is a bit worrying though is that by your choice or did it just get capped like that as it should be 10meg crazy

I also know what you mean by the support ive rung up 3 times in the past few weeks with certian questions and i seam to get the same guy with the ill pass that on to out tec department and theyll ring you back lol,

Ash

PS also do you just connect the Zyxel as one device EG like standard ADSL or is this connected to a modem as well (mobem>Zyxel like with other VDSL providers)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Tue 07-Feb-12 13:59:30)

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 14:02:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
We're with LittleBigOne.

Thanks for the info i new about the phone been voip already but not a problem as i wont be taking there phone out, dont use wifi either so again not a issure lol

The 2 meg upload is a bit worrying though is that by your choice or did it just get capped like that as it should be 10meg crazy

I also know what you mean by the support ive rung up 3 times in the past few weeks with certian questions and i seam to get the same guy with the ill pass that on to out tec department and theyll ring you back lol,

Ash

They last said our upload is due to our profile for stability.
Two weeks tomorrow and I've spoked to about 4 or 5 different staff.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Tue 07-Feb-12 14:12:49
Print Post

[re: TraceT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
We're with LittleBigOne.

Ash

They last said our upload is due to our profile for stability.
Two weeks tomorrow and I've spoked to about 4 or 5 different staff.

Ahh right ive been predicted 37/10 lol as stated in this thread one of the main reasons ive considering the DRN over BTOR network is the upload if i get bunged on 2 meg i wont be best pleased haha,

Ive been looking at info on the website about the router and it states it has 2 usb ports for sharing things, have you by any chance tested the USB ports out yet for sharing either a hard drive or printer

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to