General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sun 05-Feb-12 17:25:58
Print Post

Digital Region - Littlebigone - Origin

[link to this post]

Hi is anyone on here using either Littlebigone or Origin via the digital region network if so what are your thoughts and would you recommend them.

Im stuck between sky talktalk or one of those 2 via digital region when i upgrade in march im with talktalk & sky now with ADSL so that would be easer but both of these dont offer the 10 meg upload wich id relay like were as both LBO and origin do

Thanks Ash

Sky + TalkTalk + Three MBB Via Samsung GS2
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 9732kbps/ 796kbps (active) => 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg => 17/11/11 Talktalk 11105kbps/1020kbps (active) => 30/1/12 Three 4157Kbps/1536Kbps (active)
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Feb-12 19:40:50
Print Post

Re: Digital Region - Littlebigone - Origin

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

If you can get FTTC with BT, Sky, TalkTalk. I would advise going with one of these providers. Rather than going with SYDR.

SYDR is in it's death throes IMHO.

Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sun 05-Feb-12 21:07:18
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
If you can get FTTC with BT, Sky, TalkTalk. I would advise going with one of these providers. Rather than going with SYDR.

SYDR is in it's death throes IMHO.

Hi Thanks for the reply i cant go with BT infinity as you need a BT line my mum wont let me have BT in her house she hates them lol she says you want anything to do with them you can get um when you move out lol i cant afford that at the moment so Infinity is a no, which leaves sky and talktalk who as you can see im both them at moment with adsl.

The reason im considering littlebigone via DR is you can have them with a phone line from post office and they offer 10meg upload were sky and TT don't plus there available now, were as BTOR keep moving the date for there FTTC its march 31st at the mo but has been moved 4 times before so im not holding my breath lol.

Ash

2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 9732kbps/ 796kbps (active) => 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg => 17/11/11 Talktalk 11105kbps/1020kbps (active) => 30/1/12 Three 4157Kbps/1536Kbps (active)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User swampster
(committed) Sun 05-Feb-12 21:17:28
Print Post

I'm with Origin, (40/10 product) and the service is great.. nice to be with a company that cares about it's customers.

As for being in it's last throes.. a posting by an Origin staffer on Sheffield Forums seems to indicate they're doing rather well, and their 14 day provisioning lead time is being stretched due to demand.

It's been a slow progress.. but the information is slowly trickling out there..

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sun 05-Feb-12 21:27:21
Print Post

[re: swampster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by swampster:
I'm with Origin, (40/10 product) and the service is great.. nice to be with a company that cares about it's customers.

As for being in it's last throes.. a posting by an Origin staffer on Sheffield Forums seems to indicate they're doing rather well, and their 14 day provisioning lead time is being stretched due to demand.

It's been a slow progress.. but the information is slowly trickling out there..

Thats nice to know ive been on phone to them today they answered a few questions for me the install costs put me off them a little though £75 with origin for the 40/10 littlebigone is £50 but theyve got an offer on if ya stick a sign up for a few weeks they knock it down to £25

nice to know its a solid service though ive seen reports on the DR webby some were some people get 15meg+ upload not capped at 10 even though they advertise it as that apparently have you ever noticed it go past 10meg

Ash

Standard User swampster
(committed) Sun 05-Feb-12 22:13:51
Print Post

Re: Digital Region - Littlebigone - Origin *DELETED*

Post deleted by swampster
Standard User swampster
(committed) Sun 05-Feb-12 22:18:08
Print Post

As far as I'm aware, the LB1 £50 setup cost, is a limited time offer (till Feb 14th) I think... but yeah they knock off £25 for sticking a 'for sale' type advertising sign outside your house for a month.

Problem with LB1 is they have a FUP, where currently Origin do not.. it is truely unlimited (how long that lasts for though is anybodies guess). I think IIRC the LB1 contract is also for 18 months, where Origin's is 12.

Origin do a different kind of offer though... for every referred sign-up you get a £6 credit plus 50p off EVERY bill from that point onwards. So refer 10 sign-ups you get £60 + £5 off every bill.

And lastly as a personal preference for me, Origin is a local company..

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sun 05-Feb-12 22:27:54
Print Post

As far as I'm aware, the LB1 £50 setup cost, is a limited time offer (till Feb 14th) I think... but yeah they knock off £25 for sticking a 'for sale' type advertising sign outside your house for a month.

Problem with LB1 is they have a FUP, where currently Origin do not.. it is truely unlimited (how long that lasts for though is anybodies guess). I think IIRC the LB1 contract is also for 18 months, where Origin's is 12.

Origin do a different kind of offer though... for every referred sign-up you get a £6 credit plus 50p off EVERY bill from that point onwards. So refer 10 sign-ups you get £60 + £5 off every bill.

And lastly as a personal preference for me, Origin is a local company..

Yea it is 18 month i do about 250 gig a month at the most give or take a few gig and he said (fella at little big one) it wasn't a problem unless i was downloading multiple TB's which i cant physically do due to lack of HDD space lol.

Ive considered origin as well its just finding £75 set up money, i mean id much rather stick a board in mi garden for a month and pay £25 much easier to spare 25 than 75. I also dont have any one to recommend you see most of my friends either live out of SY or are already with VM or other FTTC providers lol so would not be interested.

I have goto say the origin support dose seam a little bit better they did tell me they'd knock me a fiver off the install cost because i want to use my own router lol not exactly a lot but its something i suppose.

They did say that if you have the bottom package installed (install of £55 50 using my own router) that after 30days you can upgrade to the 40 for £10 =60 total thats a way to save a tenner plus again its easier to do 50 one bill then a tenner the next than 75/70 in one go lol

Ash

PS dose the friend get any benefits for signing up threw a referral of just the person referring

EDIT

just gave them a quick buzz and he told me they offer spreading the install cost over 3 bills so instead of having to pay £75 out in 1 go you you can chose to pay £25 a month over the first 3 so in a months time when my sky line expires ill get the line switched to the PO and i think ill be ordering origin

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 05-Feb-12 22:36:22)

Standard User swampster
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 00:04:24
Print Post

Yeah the thing about LB1 and the sign thing is, the way I understand it is.. you have to find the £50 up front for the connection, and they give you a free month of subscription after you've dispalyed the sign for a month. I might be wrong on that though.

Like I say, i'm with Origin.. I paid more than £75 for connection too.. and I've not regretted it one bit.

As for the refferals, it's only the person doing the referring gets any benefit.. so you'll have to encourage your mates/family to get on board.

Speaking of which, if you do sign up don't forget to tell them I sent ya! wink

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 00:14:08
Print Post

Yeah the thing about LB1 and the sign thing is, the way I understand it is.. you have to find the £50 up front for the connection, and they give you a free month of subscription after you've dispalyed the sign for a month. I might be wrong on that though.

Like I say, i'm with Origin.. I paid more than £75 for connection too.. and I've not regretted it one bit.

As for the refferals, it's only the person doing the referring gets any benefit.. so you'll have to encourage your mates/family to get on board.

Speaking of which, if you do sign up don't forget to tell them I sent ya! wink

Lol i think im gunna go with them been able to spread the cost makes it a lot easier im gunna use my own router too what i bought when i was with VM thatl save me a fiver at least haha if you pm me the details ill need to give to them ill mention it when i get around to signing up.

Dont no if you saw id asked before but have you ever had over 10meg upload or do origin cap it i know LBO advertise as 10meg up but they dont cap it so people have actually seen around 13,

I did enquire and origin are planning on offering upto 90 meg profile 17A like with BTOR later in the year after trials apparently so that would be nice

Ash

PS can you view stats in the modem provided with digital region connections or is it locked out like the BTOR modems

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 06-Feb-12 00:15:25)

Standard User swampster
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 01:35:02
Print Post

I'm not sure how LB1 are getting upload speeds above 10Mb, the way I understand it is they'd have no control over the speeds as such. All that stuff is done by Thales the technical operator of the Digital Region network..

Basically the type of product available to one provider on the network is open to all the providers... but that said I've never had over 10Mbs upload..

Don't forget the speeds are dependant on distance just like normal DSL is. However the distance should theoretically be much shorter.. but still it depends how far away from the cabinet you are, and the quality of the copper between your house and the cabinet too.

And no, you can't access the Cellpipe 'modem' at all.. it's pre-programmed and delivered to you, you plug it in and it operates in a bridged mode.. so it's effectively invisible.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 02:02:25
Print Post

I'm not sure how LB1 are getting upload speeds above 10Mb, the way I understand it is they'd have no control over the speeds as such. All that stuff is done by Thales the technical operator of the Digital Region network..

Basically the type of product available to one provider on the network is open to all the providers... but that said I've never had over 10Mbs upload..

Don't forget the speeds are dependant on distance just like normal DSL is. However the distance should theoretically be much shorter.. but still it depends how far away from the cabinet you are, and the quality of the copper between your house and the cabinet too.

And no, you can't access the Cellpipe 'modem' at all.. it's pre-programmed and delivered to you, you plug it in and it operates in a bridged mode.. so it's effectively invisible.

Did'nt think they'd give you access to the modem lol yea im only about 300-350M estimated 38/10 but i know of people farer than that who get full 40 so not too worried

Taken from the DRN page

The Digital Region network currently has an average download speed of 37Mbps, over six times faster than the UK average (reported by OFCOM). Upload speeds are an impressive 13 Mbps which means the network is truly superfast.

What’s more, speeds of 40 – 100 Mbps will soon be available on the network making South Yorkshire one of the best connected regions in the UK.

so i guess thats were LB1 get there past 10meg up from lol

Ash

Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Feb-12 03:38:25
Print Post

I keep looking at Origin, but they never update their checker service. I put my details in and they always say I'm not enabled, but I know my region has been up and running for nearly 2 months now.

I can't afford the setup fee's to move over to them. This is BT's fault however as they are screwing over digital region over charges. I'm waiting to see what price/packages are announced once BT rolls out the 80Mb service. I expect some kind of response from digital region, but it does appear they aren't very business savvy.. This is to be expected from a government run business though, clueless.

edit: Origin *finally* updated their checker. Predicts I can get 34Mb down 10Mb up. So that's something at least. Maybe I'll be in a position to move over to their network later this year.

Edited by LeJimster (Mon 06-Feb-12 03:49:20)

Standard User johndrfc
(newbie) Mon 06-Feb-12 07:45:27
Print Post

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

I've been with Origin for about a month getting constant 23.5 down and 1.93 up (24d and 2 up package)
They are really helpful and go that extra mile for you, my previous provider Plusnet stuffed everything up cut off, broadband phonelines and everything it was only after Origin got on the phone to them that they admitted they were in the wrong as they totally denied it talking to me to me. I must admit untill that time I had no issue with PLusnet and had a decent service from them.
Origin dropped a dongle round to my house to borrow untill they could sort out the mess left behind. (and I mean dropped it round on the way home from work none of that Royal Mail rubbish)

As someone else said customer service that actually cares
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 06-Feb-12 10:52:25
Print Post

i cant go with BT infinity as you need a BT line my mum wont let me have BT in her house she hates them lol she says you want anything to do with them you can get um when you move out lol i cant afford that at the moment so Infinity is a no, which leaves sky and talktalk

That'll be Sky and TalkTalk that use a BT Openreach line then ? LOL

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-12 11:15:30
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
i cant go with BT infinity as you need a BT line my mum wont let me have BT in her house she hates them lol she says you want anything to do with them you can get um when you move out lol i cant afford that at the moment so Infinity is a no, which leaves sky and talktalk

That'll be Sky and TalkTalk that use a BT Openreach line then ? LOL

Yea lol ive got 2 full LLU connections with sky and talk talk at the mo lol i was more referring to BT retail though lol they uber screwed her over 16 year ago and it really P****D her off to extent if BT retail was the only phone and BB provider in the UK shed do without lol,
At first when i mentioned moving to sky from virgin media originally and mentioned open reach it was NOOO!!! not having anything to do with that slime ball company i said they only put then actually line in from pole then sky handle it all we pay sky not BT after 3 weeks of reassuring her we did not pay BT 1 penny (well obvs sky do but thats not directly lol) She finally said yes and has been happy with the fair few quid a month saying on line rental,

But with the streaming services becoming more popular and steam games psn games getting bigger the ADSL is'nt cutting it any more when we first switched from virgin media it more more getting used to the longer download times but still generaly been ok,
Now its getting to the point its longer download times and also not enough capacity you know having to chose to download the latest game of watch a netflix movie (at mo usually download the game on taktalk and watch netflix on sky but id rather be paying 1 linerental and one broadband),
That's were FTTC comes in although i would like sky or talktalk FTTC (it would obvs be a lot easier seen as im already with the 2 ) but skys dont come out till April and that is then on weather BTOR have enabled the cab its date has already been moved 4 times so im not holding my breath for it to be done this march as planned were as digital region are enabled now and offer full 10meg upload for the same price as talktalk charge for the 2meg and as you well know hosting online games = bigger upload bigger online game lol.

Sorry for the little essay just wanted to get most of the points out lol

keep looking at Origin, but they never update their checker service. I put my details in and they always say I'm not enabled, but I know my region has been up and running for nearly 2 months now.

I can't afford the setup fee's to move over to them. This is BT's fault however as they are screwing over digital region over charges. I'm waiting to see what price/packages are announced once BT rolls out the 80Mb service. I expect some kind of response from digital region, but it does appear they aren't very business savvy.. This is to be expected from a government run business though, clueless.

When i was on the phone to origin last night they told me they allow you to spread the install cost over 3 months £25x3 for the top 2 packages or £18.33x3 for lower one he said there also trailing upto 90meg for some time this summer using 17a like BT but some reason there going 10meg over the BTOR(80) he didnt mention the upload though i presume it will be around the 20meg and said theyd have more info in the coming months after the trial wich has been going well so far

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 13:30:19
Print Post

We're with LittleBigOne.

We have mixed feelings about them at moment. We've got the broadband and phone package.
Disappointed to discover their phone services are actually VOIP, which isn't mentioned on their site. Caller ID not working yet for us either.
Couldn't get web pages for a full week.
At 160mtrs from the green box and getting 37Mbps down via Ethernet but capped at 2Mbps up. Wifi speeds with 'n' have achieved a max of 18Mbps down.
Customer support comes across as very good sometimes, as some staff are clearly more helpful than others. However, I have received responses like, "I'll have to look into that", I'll pass that on", I'll need to talk to an engineer" from their customer/technical support number. Only one member so far seems to go out of his way to help.
Router provided is a Zyxel P-2812HNU-F1.

Good job we didn't agree to have one of their advertisement boards.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Tue 07-Feb-12 13:56:21
Print Post

[re: TraceT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TraceT:
We're with LittleBigOne.

We have mixed feelings about them at moment. We've got the broadband and phone package.
Disappointed to discover their phone services are actually VOIP, which isn't mentioned on their site. Caller ID not working yet for us either.
At 160mtrs from the green box and getting 37Mbps down via Ethernet but capped at 2Mbps up. Wifi speeds with 'n' have achieved a max of 18Mbps down.
Customer support comes across as very good sometimes, as some staff are clearly more helpful than others. However, I have received responses like, "I'll have to look into that", I'll pass that on", I'll need to talk to an engineer" from their customer/technical support number. Only one member so far seems to go out of his way to help.

Thanks for the info i new about the phone been voip already but not a problem as i wont be taking there phone out, dont use wifi either so again not a issure lol

The 2 meg upload is a bit worrying though is that by your choice or did it just get capped like that as it should be 10meg crazy

I also know what you mean by the support ive rung up 3 times in the past few weeks with certian questions and i seam to get the same guy with the ill pass that on to out tec department and theyll ring you back lol,

Ash

PS also do you just connect the Zyxel as one device EG like standard ADSL or is this connected to a modem as well (mobem>Zyxel like with other VDSL providers)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Tue 07-Feb-12 13:59:30)

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 14:02:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
We're with LittleBigOne.

Thanks for the info i new about the phone been voip already but not a problem as i wont be taking there phone out, dont use wifi either so again not a issure lol

The 2 meg upload is a bit worrying though is that by your choice or did it just get capped like that as it should be 10meg crazy

I also know what you mean by the support ive rung up 3 times in the past few weeks with certian questions and i seam to get the same guy with the ill pass that on to out tec department and theyll ring you back lol,

Ash

They last said our upload is due to our profile for stability.
Two weeks tomorrow and I've spoked to about 4 or 5 different staff.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Tue 07-Feb-12 14:12:49
Print Post

We're with LittleBigOne.

Ash

They last said our upload is due to our profile for stability.
Two weeks tomorrow and I've spoked to about 4 or 5 different staff.

Ahh right ive been predicted 37/10 lol as stated in this thread one of the main reasons ive considering the DRN over BTOR network is the upload if i get bunged on 2 meg i wont be best pleased haha,

Ive been looking at info on the website about the router and it states it has 2 usb ports for sharing things, have you by any chance tested the USB ports out yet for sharing either a hard drive or printer

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 14:46:03
Print Post

"Ahh right ive been predicted 37/10 lol as stated in this thread one of the main reasons ive considering the DRN over BTOR network is the upload if i get bunged on 2 meg i wont be best pleased haha,

Ive been looking at info on the website about the router and it states it has 2 usb ports for sharing things, have you by any chance tested the USB ports out yet for sharing either a hard drive or printer "

No sorry we haven't tried the USB ports.
Had the printer connected to our old hub that way but then the scanner wouldn't work, so not bothered this time.

We were quoted the full 40/10, hope it's only temporary frown

Have you decided to go with LBO then, thought you were leaning towards Origin?
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Tue 07-Feb-12 14:54:06
Print Post

"Ahh right ive been predicted 37/10 lol as stated in this thread one of the main reasons ive considering the DRN over BTOR network is the upload if i get bunged on 2 meg i wont be best pleased haha,

Ive been looking at info on the website about the router and it states it has 2 usb ports for sharing things, have you by any chance tested the USB ports out yet for sharing either a hard drive or printer "

Had the printer connected to our old hub that way but then the scanner wouldn't work, so not bothered this time.

Ah oki not a big problem really ive actually got a network printer (wireless) but ive also god a second printer (normal usb) i want to add ill have to wait and see.

And im still not 100% yet ive got about 3 week left on my sky contract apparently so getting as much info & pros n cons of both, origin do seam to have a bit better support but also a bigger install charge and separate modem router which although not a problem its far from ideal and dont want to be flaking out £75 install then having to buy a 50 quid combined VDSL router lol,

I dont mind doing the billboard thing to get £25 knocked off so that knocks install to £25 with LBO i am leaning a little more towards origin at the moment but well see how things go once ive got my phone line switched to the post office

the *fair usage* put me off little big one but after a chat ive found out providing you dont go multiple TB's a month they dont mind

Ash

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 00:15:48
Print Post

Just a quick update in the end i did go with origin they are now starting to offer the same router LBO offer (the combined one) in the next month and hes said hell pull a few strings and make sure i get one even if they haven't started using them before my actuation date, Second the static IP Which is fairly important to me little big one offer it but charge £3.00 for 1 origin give 1 free and then 2.50 for 2 extra ones if needed. theyve given me the install cost spread over 3 moths so makes it easyer to pay for it and in all i find the support at origin to actually be a lot better than LBO. origin also 100% dont mind business usage whick may become usfull in the next few months as me and a friend are looking at a few business opportunities so all in all they ticked more boxes.

Just waiting for my install date Estimated about 25th march but could be a few days either way

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 05-Mar-12 00:16:43)

Standard User yoda2691
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 11:06:57
Print Post

I would appreciate you posting updates as I too am considering this sort of move.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 11:17:24
Print Post

[re: yoda2691] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yoda2691:
I would appreciate you posting updates as I too am considering this sort of move.

I will defo keep upto date along the process of my order smile

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 11:48:48
Print Post

Been with LBO over 5 weeks now.
Got the cap of 2 meg Up removed just by asking and now get an average of 37down and 9 meg up.
I must admit that I haven't felt a massive speed increase just browsing and using iPlayer despite the speed test results. Other members of family say file download times have increased however.
I think my expectations were too high.
Still don't have Caller ID working either, they say its been passed to the manufacturer of the router to look at :rolleyes:

Been thinking we should have gone elsewhere.
Hope yours goes smoother and according to plan! wink
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 11:58:08
Print Post

Been with LBO over 5 weeks now.
Got the cap of 2 meg Up removed just by asking and now get an average of 37down and 9 meg up.
I must admit that I haven't felt a massive speed increase just browsing and using iPlayer despite the speed test results. Other members of family say file download times have increased however.
I think my expectations were too high.
Still don't have Caller ID working either, they say its been passed to the manufacturer of the router to look at :rolleyes:

Been thinking we should have gone elsewhere.
Hope yours goes smoother and according to plan! wink

good to here about the upload, i spent 2.5 year on 50/100meg and when i went on ADSL down to 10 i noticed it hugely mainly because we are a internet hungry household lol always fighting for bandwidth lol and now ive ditched the sky TV our bandwith is gunna double watching everything on netflix crazy, so i cant wait to get back onto 40 and when they upgrade to profile 17a in a few months ill defo be going on the upto 80 lol.

I wont have any of the phone pobs you have because ive kept line rental as PSTN with post office it wouldn't bother me having it as voip but ive already got a sip account with sipgate and dont want a second lol i still send faxes too (yes i know cronker tec there lol) so a full voip line would not work for that.

The only thing that is a bit off putting is the install time it takes ive been quoted about 3 week but after reading on FB page some one was waiting 2 month, Openreach seam to take digital region connections as very low priority, ive got 2 ADSL connections the one been replaced and a second one so i wont have any downtime but i would be a bit miffed off if it took 2 month lol, How long did it take for your fitting with LBO

Sorry for the little essay lol

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:08:38
Print Post

I had to give BT at least 30 days notice even though I was no longer in contract. LBO sales told me to ask for a cease date though.
BT then said "an engineer" rejected the original date and was re-scheduled for a week later so took 5 weeks in all. From what I can remember it was something to do with moving the phone services over that delayed things.
I wasn't kept up to date with anything from LBO from ordering right through to the install day, I had to contact them them frown
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:14:27
Print Post

I had to give BT at least 30 days notice even though I was no longer in contract. LBO sales told me to ask for a cease date though.
BT then said "an engineer" rejected the original date and was re-scheduled for a week later so took 5 weeks in all. From what I can remember it was something to do with moving the phone services over that delayed things.
I wasn't kept up to date with anything from LBO from ordering right through to the install day, I had to contact them them frown

ahh im ok with that sky dont have a 30days period on phone/broadband anymore so as soon as contract was over was free to just request mac and go lol my PO phone transfer gos live 12th this month so next Monday and at origin he said it would be about 3 week from the 2nd but im a bit pessimistic lol i think it will be more 5 week lol as long as i dont get charged till it actually is live i dont mind so much
Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:35:14
Print Post

Info for anyone considering LittleBigOne.
This is what LBO email confirmation from Sales said;
"Providing the cease date is no sooner than 25 days, we will aim to have your littlebigone.com services activated within 24-48 hours after your current services end."

TraceT
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:54:55
Print Post

"Providing the cease date is no sooner than 25 days, we will aim to have your littlebigone.com services activated within 24-48 hours after your current services end."

TraceT

But it still took 5 week?

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:11:35
Print Post

TraceT

Ash

Yeah, but only took longer because of BT.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:24:26
Print Post

TraceT

Ash

Yeah, but only took longer because of BT.

Ahh yea BT are useless haha

Ash

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 16:00:07
Print Post

just an update i ended up cancelling origin order because it was going to take 3 month to install, BT bodged the date up for OR FTTC yet again so order placed with LBO all going well now haha

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps Soon to be with little big one up to 40meg FTTC
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:30:28
Print Post

just an update i ended up cancelling origin order because it was going to take 3 month to install, BT bodged the date up for OR FTTC yet again so order placed with LBO all going well now haha

Ash

I would love to hear what you think when you have been connected a while.
I was expecting to experience the WOW factor by now, but sadly not.
Speed testers still give decent results and downloads are much improved according to other family members but browsing experience is pretty much the same as before FTTC. Some sites even seem slower to me frown
Still no caller ID, but strangely works on the second call with Call Waiting enabled,..... LBO say it has been reported to the router manufacturer ZyXel.
Oh, and I hope you don't have to speak to anyone regarding your Direct Debit, as all I get is long periods of silence as the lady I spoke to {of foreign name and accent} doesn't understand me!

Are they keeping you informed and up to date along the way as they say they do? I didn't hear a thing after I signed up.
I really do hope you can post back with something positive when your up and running though.
LBO seem to be the only ISP doing any kind of publicity at moment for Digital Region.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 18:08:06
Print Post

web browsing will not alter significantly once you get to about 5Meg unless latency drops significantly

A webpage is a collection of many individual downloads, and not all will happen at the same time. Some browsers have tweaks to allow more threads at a time, thus speeding up delivery of page elements.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 18:30:37
Print Post

Ash

Speed testers still give decent results and downloads are much improved according to other family members but browsing experience is pretty much the same as before FTTC. Some sites even seem slower to me frown
Still no caller ID, but strangely works on the second call with Call Waiting enabled,..... LBO say it has been reported to the router manufacturer ZyXel.
Oh, and I hope you don't have to speak to anyone regarding your Direct Debit, as all I get is long periods of silence as the lady I spoke to {of foreign name and accent} doesn't understand me!

Are they keeping you informed and up to date along the way as they say they do? I didn't hear a thing after I signed up.
I really do hope you can post back with something positive when your up and running though.
LBO seem to be the only ISP doing any kind of publicity at moment for Digital Region.

Hi yea i chat to them on Facebook every couple of days so they keep me upto day there also keeping me upto date on their TV it launches this Tuesday coming so im looking forward to seeing what channels their going to be offering smile

ill defo keep you up to date once activated i just took BB kept phone with post office so wont have any phone related probs

As MrSaffron says web browsing you wont notice a diff when i used to be on 100meg with virgin i did not notice a diff to the 11meg im on now with basic web browsing flash/java sites do benefit though such as pogo.com and you tube but general pages no diff at all i download and stream a lot which is were the extra speed shines lol

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps Soon to be with little big one up to 40meg FTTC
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 19:49:11
Print Post

Ash

Hi yea i chat to them on Facebook every couple of days so they keep me upto day there also keeping me upto date on their TV it launches this Tuesday coming so im looking forward to seeing what channels their going to be offering smile

ill defo keep you up to date once activated i just took BB kept phone with post office so wont have any phone related probs

As MrSaffron says web browsing you wont notice a diff when i used to be on 100meg with virgin i did not notice a diff to the 11meg im on now with basic web browsing flash/java sites do benefit though such as pogo.com and you tube but general pages no diff at all i download and stream a lot which is were the extra speed shines lol

Ash

Streaming for us isn't always buffer free though either. We can't always just click on a YouTube vid or stream iPlayer at high quality. It seems to vary, and yet the speed tests seem to be consistent.
I've only heard about the TV announcements via Twitter.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 19:55:03
Print Post

Try watching the traffic for youtube, you might find its not your connection but the server limiting you.

While youtube won't be on a shared 100 Meg service, it may still have limits to avoid one person sucking lots of bandwidth but only watching a second or two of a clip

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 19:59:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Try watching the traffic for youtube, you might find its not your connection but the server limiting you.

While youtube won't be on a shared 100 Meg service, it may still have limits to avoid one person sucking lots of bandwidth but only watching a second or two of a clip

I've considered it would be something like that, that's why I haven't griped directly to LBO.
Obviously my expectations were in fact too high by moving on to FTTC.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:12:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

I've considered it would be something like that, that's why I haven't griped directly to LBO.
Obviously my expectations were in fact too high by moving on to FTTC.

Yea i have to agree its most likely you tubes end if you notice you can go on 1 vid and it loads like lightning then click another 2 mins later and its like been back on dial up lol

Ash

Standard User alexatkin
(learned) Sat 28-Apr-12 17:23:48
Print Post

Definitely to do with YouTube servers I have exactly the same issue on Origin.

Some days it buffers the whole file at lightning speed, other times it just stalls out right.

Even on the same video you can sometimes find the 480p version plays fine but the 720p or 1080p version refuses to load, or the opposite. Its obviously down to if the server that particular file is coming from is heavily loaded or not.
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Apr-12 14:43:18
Print Post

well keep us in the loop on how your LBO connection goes etc. If you want to chat to people on the network, there is a nice little place I frequent over at drlforum.co.uk .

I want to move over to the Digital Region, but I'm waiting to see what the new technical team do regarding the latency issue that some people experience on the first hop into the network.

I will probably move over to Origin if all goes well later in the year, but I do have the option of going with the devil (BT FTTC) if necessary.

(experienced) Sun 29-Apr-12 15:22:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by LeJimster:
well keep us in the loop on how your LBO connection goes etc. If you want to chat to people on the network, there is a nice little place I frequent over at drlforum.co.uk .

I want to move over to the Digital Region, but I'm waiting to see what the new technical team do regarding the latency issue that some people experience on the first hop into the network.

I will probably move over to Origin if all goes well later in the year, but I do have the option of going with the devil (BT FTTC) if necessary.

Ive been with LBO since the 12th now for the first few days i had pings af about 25 then after about 4 days they shot up to 40 after a quick phone call to LBO support they tweaked a few things and now there round about 25-28 pingtest i know on FTTC this can be a lot lower but it dont affect anything i do been around 28 still an improvement on when i was with sky

PS im a member of DRLforums (ash45)

ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 29-Apr-12 16:13:16)

Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Apr-12 17:02:45
Print Post

oh hey ash, great stuff. I wonder what LBO "tweaked" on your line as I'm not convinced they are able to do much. I'm currently looking through the Draytek support sites to see if there is an option to force your connection not to use high INP settings and/or interleaving.

Oh and alex is on here too.. Didn't notice till just now =).

Edited by LeJimster (Sun 29-Apr-12 17:04:02)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 29-Apr-12 17:10:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by LeJimster:
oh hey ash, great stuff. I wonder what LBO "tweaked" on your line as I'm not convinced they are able to do much. I'm currently looking through the Draytek support sites to see if there is an option to force your connection not to use high INP settings and/or interleaving.

Oh and alex is on here too.. Didn't notice till just now =).

Im not sure TBH like i say i actualy had about 25 from the min it was connected but i had a bit of a stability problem so between 10PM and midnight my router reset every 20 mins, But when they sorted that out my pings went to about 38-40 i phoned back up to tell them the drop outs had stopped but the pings had rose first they gave me a free static IP upgrade thinking it would take some of the routing off didn't seam to do anything he then said well try some tweaks and monitor for 24 hours, After 24 hours they rung back said it looks like its sorted (id already noticed this from my BQM on here) did a few pingtest.nets and ever since its stayed between 25-28 in general obviously n some games it can be a tad less or a tad more depending on the server and on the + side got a free static IP saved 3 quid a month lol

My Broadband Ping

Ive been downloading quite a lot since about 11AM downloading my entire steam collection re installed the pc last night lol which is probably why there's a bit of blue lol

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 29-Apr-12 17:20:23)

Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Apr-12 23:14:47
Print Post

It sounds by default Thales has set lines up on the cautious side. I've not seen a sub 20ms line yet on DR. And the fact you were having issues and it rose to 40 indicates to me a rise in INP which has a direct effect on your latency. If it works anything like ADSL2+ my bet is you can turn off INP and sacrifice a bit of speed but get much lower latency. Infact, I know it's possible because I've seen the option on a European VDSL ISP as I was looking around.

Edited by LeJimster (Sun 29-Apr-12 23:15:53)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 29-Apr-12 23:20:14
Print Post

you know i think thats what they did but i still get 42meg threw put lol its meant to be 40 so still get 2 more than i should haha,
Yea Thales do set all the line profiles and stuff hate are available so it stands to reason their the problem for the pings but TBH id much rather have a fully stable 20-30ping than a 15 with fek loads of jitter like with virgin media lol which i used to have and unless its 90+ your not going to notice any lag in games i was with sky ADSL or a year with pings of about 60 and never 1 bit of lag

Ash

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 18-Jun-12 20:04:55
Print Post

Hmm no complaints here
sub 20ms DR line
I'm with Origin Broadband and the service is awesome.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 18-Jun-12 20:26:50
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hmm no complaints here
sub 20ms DR line
I'm with Origin Broadband and the service is awesome.

This is mine speed test

LBO super fast package got interleaving turned off its still 100% stable

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to