General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Daemos
(newbie) Tue 17-Apr-12 15:08:31
Print Post

Re: FTTC South East Kent

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I was out yesterday walking into Ramsgate (along Dumpton Park Drive) and when I got to the Broadgate Hall on the corner with Thanet Road I had a look at NDRAM 17. There were no markings on the ground just a crudely painted 17 on the cabinet. I then crossed over the road with the intention of going along Avenue Road and down Victoria Road to King Street. But then I saw a new cabinet all by itself on Thanet Road exactly opposite Avenue Road. There was new tarmacadam following a line back to the junction with Dumpton Park Drive but no sign of it going across the road to the cabinet at Broadgate Hall. (Maybe they have a duct under Dumpton Park Drive ? or is there a link up still to take place ?)

But what is really strange is that you can stand there, at the junction of Thanet Road and Avenue Road, and see the old cab up at Broadgate Hall and then look down Avenue Road and see the old cab and new one next to it at Arklow square !

If anyone is in the area - what do you make of it ? Job done ?
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 18:42:25
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Does anyone know if the Worth Village cabinet (on the Sandwich Exchange) is going to be upgraded to FTTC? The checker doesnt say, just wondered if anyone knew of any plans ? (Sandwich date for enablement is 30th June 2012)

The existing cabinet has a number 7 on it.

Already registered my interest on the link provided above.

Thanks.

Sorry, Sandwich PCP7 was not scheduled in the December list

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 18:45:43
Print Post

[re: Daemos] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemos:
If anyone is in the area - what do you make of it ? Job done ?

Thanks for the info, I'll update my map.

No, it's probably not job done, may still need the power running in, and almost certainly need the fibre blowing through from the exchange.

It's not unusual for FTTC cabinets to be some distance from their respective PCP, I think they can be up to 50 meters away.

Edited to reflect correct distance from PCP

Edited by R0NSKI (Tue 17-Apr-12 19:45:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Apr-12 18:49:31
Print Post

50 metres I think. 100 metres is the maximum ethernet connection distance, usually discussed here in relation to how far the router can be from the modem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 18-Apr-12 08:51:37
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yaz:
Power connections (for one example) have not been carried out at a lot of the cabís. This was supposed to have been done at the same time as the cab installation but didn't happen in a large number of cases.

I can't really say anything more than that. Keep an eye on the www.roadworks.org site (not the Beta version *spit*) for the Streetworks permits.

I actually find the Beta site far better, easier to navigate around, and dead simple to see which roadworks belong to BT. May be it's a little slow though.

Been looking this morning and it seems that loads of cabinets are getting re-shelled, some of these I'm not sure if the FTTC has been installed, but presume as they are re-shelling they must have been.

There are not many duct clearance's scheduled in Broadstairs or Ramsgate, certainly far less than before my holiday. Still quite a few in Margate area though. So it look likes we're getting closer.

There still appear to be some FTTC cabinets to be done, I'll have to make a list at some point of one's that have not been confirmed and get them checked.

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 21:11:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I actually find the Beta site far better, easier to navigate around, and dead simple to see which roadworks belong to BT. May be it's a little slow though.

Been looking this morning and it seems that loads of cabinets are getting re-shelled, some of these I'm not sure if the FTTC has been installed, but presume as they are re-shelling they must have been.

There are not many duct clearance's scheduled in Broadstairs or Ramsgate, certainly far less than before my holiday. Still quite a few in Margate area though. So it look likes we're getting closer.

There still appear to be some FTTC cabinets to be done, I'll have to make a list at some point of one's that have not been confirmed and get them checked.

The Beta site is limited and is far from its full potential until complete. The current data available on the Beta is pretty good for the average member of public just looking for roadworks. The rest of the site is much more for utilities and highway authorities.

Onto business, the re-shells are PCP works which may be linked to FTTC works but not always guaranteed.

Some FTTC cab's are requiring additional works other than power. It's all over the place currently as there isn't one contractor carrying out works but multiple contractors and sub-contractors. It's a nightmare at times as things are discussed, repeatedly, then they change up and start all over. Do this multiple times for the same sites and you won't believe that amount of time spent dealing with what should be much simpler matters.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-Apr-12 17:45:56
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

so bt cock up ?
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 22:58:54
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Probably BT and its sub contractors.

Still quite a few cabinets to be installed and they seem to keep slipping back.

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Fri 20-Apr-12 12:57:54
Print Post

My cabinet (Thanet, 31) in CT9 5DQ had its partner installed a couple of months ago. Still no sign of deployment, however. Incidentally, this cabinet doesn't appear on your map for Margate. It's in Westbrook Avenue near the junction with Westcliff Road and is visible on Google Street View (behind a parked van). That's the old cabinet, of course!
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 20-Apr-12 13:21:14
Print Post

[re: rjh321] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, I'll update the map later. I don't get over Margate way often, so if you spot any others I've not got or have not got the number then let me know please.

Edit: Map updated

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 20-Apr-12 18:46:08)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to