General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | [15] | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rjh321
(learned) Sun 22-Apr-12 12:31:49
Print Post

Re: FTTC South East Kent

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Ronski,
Just had a little tour round the local (easily reached) cabinets in Margate, whilst walking the dog. The one on Canterbury Road outside the Royal Seabathing Hospital is definitely cabinet 12 and it has a FTTC installed. On the roundabout at the junction of Hartsdown Road and All Saints' Avenue is number 13 which also has a FTTC installed. Where George V Avenue meets Westfield Road is number 45, also with a FTTC installed. Lastly, you have one marked at the roundabout at the end of All Saints' Avenue where it joins the A28. Unfortunately this is now a building site with no access and I couldn't even see the cabinet. I'll try to look again when the site is open (not Sunday!).
I listened to all the cabinets but could hear nothing so it looks like they're not powered-up yet. It's best to do that when nobody's watching! One of these days I'll get arrested....
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Apr-12 13:34:13
Print Post

[re: rjh321] [link to this post]

I listened to all the cabinets but could hear nothing so it looks like they're not powered-up yet. It's best to do that when nobody's watching! One of these days I'll get arrested....
If questioned, tell them your dog has lost its sense of smell, and you are its sniffer-man.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 22-Apr-12 18:12:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by rjh321:

On the odd occasion I've checked my cabinet I've pretended to tie my shoe lace! My older daughter hates me doing it, in case someone notices LOL.

Thanks for checking and confirming those cabinets, I'd worked out the numbers from the post code data for all the ones you mentioned this morning and found quite a few others, it's good to know I'd got them all correct. I've updated the map with the relevant details.

I've got 12 unknown/missing cabinets left in Margate, 5 in Ramsgate and none in Broadstairs.

Edit: Make that 9 missing/unknown in Margate now.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 22-Apr-12 18:30:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Sun 22-Apr-12 18:36:48
Print Post

My wife pretends she's not with me when I listen to cabinets! Anyway, if there's anything I can do to help with the unknown/missing ones in Margate, please let me know.

My Broadband Speed Test

Looking forward to a speed increase!
Standard User martyn
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-12 21:57:03
Print Post

My Cab is waiting for:

topsoil and seed required in verge area approx 1 grab

If they had asked me I would have chucked some seed down for them to speed it up smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 22-Apr-12 22:46:28
Print Post

rgh321 If you can verify the numbers of any Margate exchange cabinets I've worked out from postcode data, and if any Red/Yellow cabinets now have a FTTC cabinets it would help. To find any I've worked out from postcode's just do Ctrl F (for find) and search for 'postcode' when the map is displayed.

I think I've located all the Cabinets in Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate, except for these four in Ramsgate http://batchgeo.com/map/41ce7365f85dbb2bb382f60507e9...

There's two cabinets ( http://g.co/maps/bypmp) on the corner of Edgar Rd/Northdown Road, one I know is 3, the other looks like 5, but postcode data puts cabinet 5 on Norfolk Rd. When there's two cabinets together do they have different numbers or are they grouped, could they both be 3?

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Mon 23-Apr-12 09:53:56
Print Post

I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile, I may have found one of your Ramsgate ones. Try looking for the Hare & Hounds pub on Margate Road. Directly opposite it is a phone box and beside it is a cabinet. It doesn't seem to be on your map.

My Broadband Speed Test

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:17:00
Print Post

Thanks, that's a mobile phone cabinet, there's a mast next to it.

Edit: Noticed your upload is 0.4, if your raise a support ticket with Plusnet and ask for it to be uncapped it should increase - that's how I got mine faster.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 23-Apr-12 10:25:03)

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:51:13
Print Post

Oops, sorry. Should have noticed the mast! I'll be more careful in future....
Thanks for the advice about the upload speed.

Just noticed that the one I was trying to find, in CT12 6AT, is given in the December spreadsheet as cabinet P3, not P20, as you say.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by rjh321 (Mon 23-Apr-12 11:06:13)

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Mon 23-Apr-12 17:53:42
Print Post

Ronski - more updates for you. Today I visited NDTHA21, NDTHA37, NDTHA25 & NDTHA38. All have FTTC cabinets and your deducted numbers are correct. I also managed to get into the building site near Arlington House and found the BT cabinet - it's NDTHA8 but there's no sign of an FTTC. As it's a building site I couldn't search around much but I don't imagine BT would put a FTTC cabinet there in the present conditions.

My Broadband Speed Test

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | [15] | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to