General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 07-Feb-12 00:37:11
Print Post

FTTC South East Kent

[link to this post]

Hello!

I happen to be living in one of the areas BT are rolling out FTTC to in their PR stunt to deploy fibre to rural areas, Sandwich to be precise (yes its a silly name I know!).

However I'm a little concerned as to whether or not they'll make the March 2012 deadline. My exchange (NDSAN) is enabled according to the wholesale checker/samknows, but I've yet to see any new cabinets out on my travels.

I noticed some road works in the town center a few days ago next to a telephone box, but I'm unsure if there's even a cab there as I haven't seen one previously. Also my connection has been intermittently dropping out for brief moments in the past few days (probably unrelated?)

I have checked the PCP December 2011 report, which confirms my cabinet (NDSAN P15) is due to be upgraded.

Could anyone of you lovely folk shed some light on the matter?

Cheers!
Standard User ccxo
(member) Tue 07-Feb-12 01:09:51
Print Post

Re: FTTC South East Kent

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

March dates are more of a placeholder then anything, the exchange will go live with a certain number of cabs and more will follow. Looking at the size of Sandwich preumably most of the cabs will be done very quick as the exchange is a small area.

Just keep checking the BT wholesale checker to see if you can get a FTTC service on you're BT line once the exchange enablement date comes.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Tue 07-Feb-12 01:10:49)

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 07-Feb-12 17:24:52
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Cab's in Sandwich are/were recently being worked on by BT Openreach sub-contractors.

Due to issues (that I cannot mention) there was a delay in the Dover District area which may affect the local rollout.

Take a look on ELGIN and setup a search around your local PCP cab to get updates when any streetworks are due to take place (tick all options for Current and Planned works - past works will not be available this way).

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s

Edited by Yaz (Tue 07-Feb-12 17:28:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 07-Feb-12 21:48:46
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys!

Bah, nothing going on around my cabinet according to Elgin, or any of the other cabs around the town.

This was all I could find, not sure if this is anything to do with FTTC though :|
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-12 22:40:26
Print Post

Can't see the result you linked to.

I believe that the issue that delayed the FTTC rollout in the Dover District area has been resolved (for the moment). I know that BT Openreach have been active in Sandwich with FTTC rollout related works so the cab construction work is probably not far off.

Keep an eye out on ELGIN (if you have setup a search correctly it will email you with the details once a streetworks permit has been processed and updated online).

vFast Ltd
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 08-Feb-12 22:44:26
Print Post

not all cabs are enabled check wwww.superfast-openreach.co.uk for latest live dates (accepting orders) is what your are looking for
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Feb-12 00:49:51
Print Post

OP Here.

The result I linked was as follows

Build 1 concrete chamber 1310mm x 610mm x 1265mm deep in Footway,Install 3m of 2 poly ducts in Carriageway,Install 3m of 2 poly ducts in Footway

I believe the location for the work is next to a telephone box, not sure if there's a cab nearby.

I've got ELGIN set up to email me if anything changes.

Thanks for all your help kind sir!
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 09-Feb-12 22:33:19
Print Post

Building a concrete chamber may have nothing to do with FTTC but then again they may need to construct a new chamber near to a cab (along with ducting) before an FTTC cab can be connected.

If you get a report stating NGA or cabinet installation in the description then that is likely to be the works for the FTTC cab.

I know that Sandwich has/is having duct clearing and fibre works at the moment (prelude to the cabs).

vFast Ltd
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 18:38:07
Print Post

Hello again!

OP Here; just checked ELGIN, it seems the cabinets (including mine!) will be installed between the 29/2 - 6/3.

Hooray! I'm one happy chappy smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 19:36:22
Print Post

I Live near to the fire station in Sandwich. I see there is a planning application for a cabinet stuck on the pole next to existing cabinet. Could not see anything on Elgin though.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 19:43:22
Print Post

it won't be stuck on a pole it could be next to the pole -- cabs are floor standing and have to be in close proximity to the PCP they are asscated with
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 19:47:03
Print Post

You can see the results if you view the map on ELGIN, and tick off 'Current works' and 'Planned works' they're not showing up for me under the 'Search' section yet.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-12 23:44:39
Print Post

Why not register and be anony-less laugh

I'm heading out with a work colleague tomorrow to visit a few sites in progress.

vFast Ltd
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Feb-12 21:08:33
Print Post

Pff, that would be the logical thing to do.

Who do you work for Yaz? If I may ask.

Also have cabinet installations began already in Sandwich, or are you referring to another area?

Cheers.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Feb-12 21:24:59
Print Post

When I said stuck to a pole i meant the planning paper in a laminated page. It refered to a new cabinet about a metre away from existing cabinet ,and the work done by open reach. (sandwich Firestation front area).
By viewing planning applications on the Dover council website it mentions three sites in Sandwich for additional cabinets. I would have thought a town the size of Sandwich would have had more. But I dont know how many people are served or how far away subscribers may be from a cabinet. I'm 400m away.So hoping to get a good speed. If my cabinet is fibred. Current speed is 4Mb which is good anyway.
Steve F.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Feb-12 22:26:58
Print Post

Hi Steve,

Judging by the results on ELGIN, it seems 5 cabinets are being installed. I believe there are about 8 cabinets in Sandwich altogether, so who knows when the remaining will be upgraded.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 15-Feb-12 23:47:31
Print Post

I don't work for BT Openreach or any of its contractors. laugh

I didn't visit Sandwich today, just Deal and Dover areas.

vFast Ltd
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 16-Feb-12 00:03:34
Print Post

Stolen from TBB's page here:

"Openreach with its code powers does not need to always apply for planning permission when locating its cabinets for VDSL2. In areas such as nominated conservation areas, planning permission will be required."

As such, only those cabinets that have required planning permission will be listed on the Dover planning website.

Other sites can be found on the rollout list found on the forum. ELGIN is pretty much the last place to see where cabinets are going as it only relates to the Streetworks permit that is required to work on the highway.

vFast Ltd
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 17:21:53
Print Post

Openreach were doing work around a manhole cover at the end of Fordwich place today (in Sandwich), guessing they were feeding the fibre or something along those lines!
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-12 20:23:15
Print Post

Without checking the permit, there are lots of similar works for the area at the moment.

Some of the cabinets are planned to be installed between the end of Feb and early March.

UK Power Networks will then follow after this though there are no definite time frames for when this will happen.

vFast Ltd
Standard User martyn
(committed) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:05:42
Print Post

A lot of cabinets been added in the Thanet area by I think, Morrison Utility. Will they add the power at the same time or will UK Power Networks still have to do that?
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 18-Feb-12 16:04:44
Print Post

[re: martyn] [link to this post]

Only UK Power Networks can do the cable works. Morrison may do some of the ducting works at the time of installing the cab but they definitely won't be touching the electrical cables.

vFast Ltd

Edited by Yaz (Sat 18-Feb-12 16:05:14)

Standard User Daemos
(newbie) Mon 20-Feb-12 18:35:32
Print Post

Any info on the cab on Dumpton Park Drive ( at the corner with Thanet road) - just down from the Montefiore Medical Centre ?
I have looked at ELGIN and it is showing work for the Muir Road/Hereson Road cab but nothing else.

Thanks if you can help.

David
Standard User martyn
(committed) Mon 20-Feb-12 20:36:51
Print Post

[re: Daemos] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemos:
Any info on the cab on Dumpton Park Drive ( at the corner with Thanet road) - just down from the Montefiore Medical Centre ?
I have looked at ELGIN and it is showing work for the Muir Road/Hereson Road cab but nothing else.

Thanks if you can help.

David

NDRAM RAMSGATE CT118AD {NDRAM}{P17} 0 96% 3.66 8a Yes FTTC That's the one you are referring to.

NDRAM RAMSGATE CT118AD {NDRAM}{P4} 0 3% 4.05 8a Yes FTTC This could be yours if the postcode is the same as yours.
Standard User Daemos
(newbie) Tue 21-Feb-12 15:32:22
Print Post

Thanks for replying.

I am on the {NDRAM}{P17} 0 100% 3.66 phase 8a

The Muir Rd /Hereson Road is {NDRAM}{P4} it is also phase 8a. The 3% are two houses at the top of Muir Road whose phones go to the pole on Dumpton Park Drive. And they are only yards away from the cab at the other end of their road ! The Muiir Rd cab is due to be worked on next week. I will keep an eye on ELGIN but would appreciate it if you came across info.

Thanks David
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 21-Feb-12 21:25:07
Print Post

Thanks for replying.

I am on the {NDRAM}{P17} 0 100% 3.66 phase 8a

The Muir Rd /Hereson Road is {NDRAM}{P4} it is also phase 8a. The 3% are two houses at the top of Muir Road whose phones go to the pole on Dumpton Park Drive. And they are only yards away from the cab at the other end of their road ! The Muiir Rd cab is due to be worked on next week. I will keep an eye on ELGIN but would appreciate it if you came across info.

Thanks David

Keep an eye on ELGIN.

If the cab is listed for rollout then Openreach will have to submit a streetworks permit for the cab in due course.

vFast Ltd
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Wed 22-Feb-12 14:15:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Yaz:
I don't work for BT Openreach or any of its contractors. laugh

I didn't visit Sandwich today, just Deal and Dover areas.

I wonder if it's Orbital Net??

I work in Sandwich, but live in Broadstairs (CT10 2NG), my cabinet put in an appearance recently (Corner of Rumfields Rd & The Maples), Sam Knows has an FTTC RFS date set for 01/03/2012. Does this mean it's most likely to be up and running on the 1st March, seeing as it's not an end of month date?

I've seen quite a few other cabinets appearing around Broadstairs and Ramsgate recently too. Getting quite excited as the only previous info I found pointed towards an autumn date, and I'm now looking forward to the faster upload speeds, not to mention the download speeds, but I already have a good speed there.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 22-Feb-12 20:41:06
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I wonder if it's Orbital Net??

No.

No ISP or similar laugh.

I work in Sandwich, but live in Broadstairs (CT10 2NG), my cabinet put in an appearance recently (Corner of Rumfields Rd & The Maples), Sam Knows has an FTTC RFS date set for 01/03/2012. Does this mean it's most likely to be up and running on the 1st March, seeing as it's not an end of month date?

I've seen quite a few other cabinets appearing around Broadstairs and Ramsgate recently too. Getting quite excited as the only previous info I found pointed towards an autumn date, and I'm now looking forward to the faster upload speeds, not to mention the download speeds, but I already have a good speed there.

I can't really comment on the RFS dates as that's info that I don't have or know. Best to run your number through the BT Wholesale checker to see what date it gives you. Dates will still vary (and the checker will jump around closer to the time) so it's best to check the Wholesale checker or contact your preferred ISP to see if you can place an order.
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Thanet is getting quite a few cab's in total (can't remember the exact figure). I'm not sure if there is supposed to be some rollout of FTTP in Westgate if I remember the Openreach list correctly.

vFast Ltd
Standard User andrewdb
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:56:06
Print Post

Thanet is getting quite a few cab's in total (can't remember the exact figure). I'm not sure if there is supposed to be some rollout of FTTP in Westgate if I remember the Openreach list correctly.

Any more idea of when in Westgate? Was looking for a new ISP but i might hold fire or at least not get stuck in a 12month contract. All i know is Westgate is due to roll out fibre this year. Openreach indicates FTTC/FTTP.
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 08:20:38
Print Post

[re: andrewdb] [link to this post]

I've found information for Thanet here, all it says for Westgate is by the end of 2012.

Samknows just shows 2012, although it does show an ADSL2+ date of July, so that would give quicker speeds until FTTC arrives. Some ISP's will also uncap your upload speed, but you need to ask.

It may well get brought forward, a few weeks ago the only info I had found for Broadstairs was Autumn 2012, now it's showing as RFS set 1/03/2012, although BT Wholesale checker gives no information.

I've noticed quite a few new cabinets around Broadstairs/Ramsgate on my travels, one of them being mine.
Standard User andrewdb
(committed) Sat 25-Feb-12 19:09:37
Print Post

After much digging i found this:
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...

Do a search on postcode. Mine appears and is showing as FTTP, 100% of lines and 4.1 uplift (about 32mbps based on my current speed), phase 7a which i believe relates to rollout date.

I had searched before and only found a single cabinet for our exchange.

I've just signed up for vivaciti (talktalk llu product) but i may jump to fttp if/when price is right. Its a monthly contract so i can always jump ship if needed.

Surprised ours is FTTP as its all overhead cabling down our road.
Standard User andrewdb
(committed) Sat 25-Feb-12 19:20:22
Print Post

the december 2011 lot are here: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi... so check there too.
Standard User Stoatwblr
(newbie) Sun 26-Feb-12 00:47:18
Print Post

Lucky you. BT promised FTTC here in September 2011 and have now delayed rollouts until _at least_ June 2012.

Do you want to stop spam, or do you just want to stop receiving it?
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 19:48:42
Print Post

[re: Stoatwblr] [link to this post]

I've found that Openreach has a Twitter account where they announce when exchanges are FTTC enabled. It seems they update it every Monday around 10am.

I checked a few from the last couple of weeks and Sam Knows showed each one as RFS 1/03/2012, so it does seem to be up to date.

Edit:AndrewB, you say Westgate has got FTTP, but I find no mention of Westgate in the Spreadsheet, and SamKnows only shows RFS 2012. Also Superfast Where and When only shows by end of 2012.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 27-Feb-12 19:57:07)

Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 22:17:03
Print Post

hi guys can you find out wether the cab nearest to me will be upgraded please the post code is CT10 2TQ its in broadstairs /st peters thanks folks

Edited by iangilf (Mon 27-Feb-12 22:18:26)

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 27-Feb-12 22:21:49
Print Post

Look on the Future Exchanges list.

Westgate - FTTP/C
Folkestone - FTTP

Didn't know about Folkestone listed for FTTP until I checked tonight. Not surprised as it's one of a few areas in East Kent that has Virgin Media cable.

I know that Folkestone and Hythe are having FTTC cab's fitted currently.

I will ask my work colleague about the FTTP works as I'm pretty sure that there will be less impact on our workload in comparison to the FTTC works.

vFast Ltd
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 27-Feb-12 22:26:05
Print Post

[re: iangilf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iangilf:
hi guys can you find out wether the cab nearest to me will be upgraded please the post code is CT10 2TQ its in broadstairs /st peters thanks folks

SAU_ID -- Name -- Postcode -- SAU_NODE_ID -- Exchange Only Flag -- Percent Lines -- Uplift -- Phase -- Deployed -- FTTC or FTTP
NDBRO -- BROADSTAIRS -- CT102TQ -- {NDBRO}{P13} -- 0 -- 100% -- 4.28 -- 8a -- Yes -- FTTC

vFast Ltd
Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 22:28:22
Print Post

hi yaz what does that actually mean m8 thanks
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 27-Feb-12 22:41:03
Print Post

hi yaz what does that actually mean m8 thanks

In short - yes, FTTC is due to be rolled out to that postcode.

The first line that I posted is the title of the columns of data from the Openreach spreadsheet that is viewable online (Google Doc's link somewhere around the forums - I downloaded it but's 46.5mb big).

The FTTC cab for that postcode will be rolled out under phase 8a.

vFast Ltd
Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 22:48:07
Print Post

thanks for this but phase 8 means ? sorry not really clued up on this thats why i joined the forum

thanks again
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Feb-12 22:49:35
Print Post

Hi Yaz

I hear the FTTC cabinets they are putting into Sandwhich are only 96 port, are you able to confirm this?

No luck for me in central Canterbury ... will have to find a way to provide my own high speed connection wink

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Mon 27-Feb-12 23:25:15)

Standard User andrewdb
(committed) Mon 27-Feb-12 23:46:27
Print Post

Sorry It appears i've pasted the same url in my 2 posts in error!

This is what i should have linked to: http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapid...
Click "options" then filter by "postcode" "starts with" or "contains" . It takes a while to process. Scroll across to right (small right arrow) and it will show if FTTC or FTTP.

It took a fair bit of googling to find.

It's a list of future works so we don't have it yet. I believe the "phase" relates to timescales but as you rightly say SamKnows/Openreach links only tell us "2012".
Standard User andrewdb
(committed) Tue 28-Feb-12 00:00:10
Print Post

Phase relates to the openreach's timescales i believe. So i would expect phase 7a here in westgate to complete before phase 8a in broadstairs/st peters. Any excuse to dig a hole in vicarage street /surrounding areas again (in-laws live in your area - only drove through this afternoon but confess to not paying attention to green cabinets!).
Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 00:02:49
Print Post

ok andrew thanks ill keep an eye out
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-12 00:30:44
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Hmm not sure. I will take a look tomorrow if I remember.

I have to admit that the only cab's that I have seen/noticed have been the smaller cab's (128 lines) so far.

vFast Ltd
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-12 00:36:51
Print Post

If you setup a search or RSS feed from ELGIN then you will get sent details of the streetworks permits when they have been accepted for works within the area.

Doing the above will give you an idea of when BT Openreach works are going to take place to install the cab (the works details will often say NGA Cabinet install or something similar). If there is nothing on ELGIN now then don't worry. BT Openreach must have a streetworks permit to install the cabinet whenever they plan to do so.

vFast Ltd
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 08:19:40
Print Post

@iangilf What you need to do is walk around your area and find your street cabinet, it will be number P13, see if it's had a new cabinet installed next to it, if it has have a listen and see if it's humming. Mines installed but I've not listened to it yet - everybody thinks I'm mad/obessed as it is! I'm on the WImpey estate, and my cabinets on the corner of Rumfields Road and The Maples (P18)

@AndrewB. It's strange that Westgate is on Phase 7, as Ramsgate, Margate(Thanet) and Broadstairs are all on phase 8a, and I've now seen plenty of cabinets out and about.
Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 15:47:24
Print Post

nope no box next to it frown everywhere else apart from my one i live in a residential area where fibre would be good typical the number on the cabinet is po 13 any ideas when theres plans to upgrade the box?
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 15:56:58
Print Post

I was looking on elgin earlier aand BT is clearing some ducts, may be this is for your cabinet. Apparently before the cabinet is done some spray paint will appear on the floor where it's going.

Also elgin shows quite a few cabinets being installed around Ramsgate, so would be worth looking on there - bt needs a permit when they do the work, this will show on elgin.
Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 16:02:13
Print Post

ok ronski ill keep an eye out for this fingers crossed i could do with the fibre as i got 3 kids and they tend to use high bandwith apps cheers m8 shame theres not a way to find out for sure if this cabinet will get done maybe if i walked into the exchange and asked them would they be able to tell me ?

Edited by iangilf (Tue 28-Feb-12 16:03:13)

Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 16:23:52
Print Post

If you do walk into the exchange, ask them when they are going to switch on P18 please smile

Your cabinet will be done, it's in the Spreadsheet, so it's just a matter of when, but it should be soon.

This is on Elgin:

24/02/2012 to 28/02/2012 (estimated) CLR 2BLKGS IN F.W BTWN O/S 70 TO O/S 74 ST PETERS ROAD WP2) clr 2 BLKGS IN C.W AT JCN SOWELL STREET AND ST PETERS ROAD

Which looks exactly like the route the fibre cables will take from the exchange, so my guess is once they've cleared this thay may then install your cabinet.

Edited by R0NSKI (Tue 28-Feb-12 16:25:21)

Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 16:34:55
Print Post

ok m8 thanks ill leave it a while then wait n see so to speak are there any bt engineers on this site that would like to undertake a private job the cable that enters my home is real short and is joined with black tape just wondering if theres any engineers in the broadstairs area that could come and take a look for me private message me please or reply here cheers
Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 18:39:14
Print Post

hi again what does deployed mean please ?
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 19:42:03
Print Post

v. de·ployed, de·ploy·ing, de·ploys
v.tr.
a. To position (troops) in readiness for combat, as along a front or line.
b. To bring (forces or material) into action.
c. To base (a weapons system) in the field.
2. To distribute (persons or forces) systematically or strategically.
3. To put into use or action.

Which to me would mean that the FTTC cabinets have already been installed, but perhaps in BT terms it actually means the work has been approved.

Bit worrying if your cable is joined with tape, if it's before your master socket it's down to BT (although they may have something to say about how it got like it, and may charge you), if it's after your master socket it's your responsibility and BT will charge you to fix it.
Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 20:36:42
Print Post

we moved into the building with it already like it rented accomadation m8
Standard User jimconsole
(newbie) Thu 01-Mar-12 02:11:47
Print Post

Hi can someone tell me when my cab will be enabled please? CT119NH in Ramsgate
thanks
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Thu 01-Mar-12 07:42:45
Print Post

[re: jimconsole] [link to this post]

Can't tell you when it will be enabled, but I can tell you that according to the leaked spreadsheet it is scheduled to be installed at some point very soon. The Thanet area exchanges have a Ready For Service date of 1/03/2012, but that's only a guide date for any cabinets already installed - checked mine last night and it doesn't seem to be humming, which would suggest it's not yet powered up.

Your details from the spreadsheet:

SAU_ID Name Postcode SAU_NODE_ID Exchange Only Flag Percent Lines Uplift Phase Deployed FTTC or FTTP

NDRAM RAMSGATE CT119NH {NDRAM}{P13} 0 51% 3.31 8a Yes FTTC
NDRAM RAMSGATE CT119NH {NDRAM}{P40} 0 48% 3.03 8a Yes FTTC

Your postcode is served by two cabinets P13 & P14, have a look around your area and see if you can find the cabinets, they should be numbered (mine was marked in chalk!), then see if there's a new green cabinet near it. Unless you can follow your telephone cable only BT knows which cabinet serves you. Uplift is the improvement in broadbands speed they expect you to see, so you should get at least 3 times what your getting, but if your around 400m or closer to your cabinet you should get the full 40mb speeds from other results I've seen on the forums.

Edit:Just looked on Streetview P13 is by the roundabout - I passed there yesterday, don't think there's a new cabinet, but pretty sure the pavement was being dug up by the lamp post.

Confirmed it's BT on Elgin

Permit reference: BC005MU1W0000000IBC1WRVG
Works location description: In footway outside 9 Grange Road
Works description: Install BT cabinet/install BT ducts. Make connection to electricity supply.
Works category: Standard
Works state: Work in progress
Traffic management: None/Signing Only
Works details last modified: 10:31 on 29/02/2012
Last updated on Elgin: 19:36 on 29/02/2012

Edited by R0NSKI (Thu 01-Mar-12 07:50:53)

Standard User jimconsole
(newbie) Thu 01-Mar-12 17:57:51
Print Post

Excellent! Thanks R0NSKI for your very detailed response smile

Just checked and yep mines p13 on grange road and work appears to have commenced! not too long now then i hopesmile

Edited by jimconsole (Thu 01-Mar-12 20:18:56)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Mar-12 19:06:34
Print Post

theres no news on when a cabinet will be installed by ours frown do they always put up that there gonna install a new cabinet?
Standard User R0NSKI
(newbie) Thu 01-Mar-12 20:16:40
Print Post

As I understand it BT will need to apply for a work permit, and this will show up on Elgin when they do.

You can set it up to email you when results come up in a defined area.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 06-Mar-12 19:03:00
Print Post

... but pretty sure the pavement was being dug up by the lamp post.
Wonderful the robots they can create these days tongue smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Mar-12 19:06:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

least its on the list now so hopefully within the month it will be up does this look like this is the new cabinet for fibre?

Permit reference: BC005MU1W000000IBBUJLHG2
Works location description: opp 67 St Peters Road, opp junc with Green Lane
Works description: EXCAVATE TO LAY DUCT AND ERECT STREET CABINET. EXCAVATE TO LAY TELEMETRY DUCT. LAY CONCRETE PLINTH. STAND CAB. EXCAVATE LV JOINT HOLE WITH TRACK WORK. UKPN ENGINEER TO CARRY OUT INSPECTION PRIOR TO JOINTING OF CABLE. UKPN JOINTING TEAM TO EXECUTE JOINTING WORKS. REINSTATE. CHECK AND CLEAR SITE.
Works category: Standard
Works state: Planned work about to start
Traffic management: None/Signing Only
Works details last modified: 18:01 on 08/03/2012
Last updated on Elgin: 18:38 on 08/03/2012
Data source: This data is owned and provided by Kent County Council
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Thu 08-Mar-12 20:02:08
Print Post

Yes that is the work for a new fibre cabinet.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 21:54:57
Print Post

ok fingers crossed it will get done without any hiccups thanks
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Fri 09-Mar-12 10:19:33
Print Post

Re: FTTC South East Kent *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Mar-12 14:38:40
Print Post

Just noticed a brand new FTTC cab near my cabinet (Sandwich PcP15), looks like its one of the smaller (96?) ones. Elgin says they're being powered on from the 20th onwards laugh
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 09-Mar-12 20:35:43
Print Post

Post (and an earlier one) deleted due to referral link in sig, which is against the rules of the bbs.
Note that the restriction on advertising includes linking to schemes where you receive a commission or benefit of some kind from a user signing up.
Remove it from your sig please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Sat 10-Mar-12 15:34:25
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Still no buzzing or noise from my cabinet frown checked today.
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Mon 12-Mar-12 13:24:59
Print Post

Loads of exchanges added on twitter this morning, no local ones though.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Mar-12 14:44:41
Print Post

tongue
I wonder what the heck "Superfast Broadband has started to become available in ...." is supposed to mean. Is it available, or isn't it?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User Ribble
(member) Mon 12-Mar-12 15:00:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

not all cabs that are going to be done are ready yet.
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Mon 12-Mar-12 15:46:21
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Just seen this on another thread.

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
......... They say once they have 10 cabinets installed and completely wired up they activate it, im not sure if thats true or not.

So I wonder how many are done in Broadstairs, I've seen quite a lot installed.

PS RobertoS, ask my robotic lamp post, it might know wink

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
tongue
I wonder what the heck "Superfast Broadband has started to become available in ...." is supposed to mean. Is it available, or isn't it?

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 12-Mar-12 15:51:05)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 12-Mar-12 22:28:08
Print Post

exchanges are opened to CP when at least 10 cabinses are live (not all cabs will comes linve at the sme time) -- so if 10 are readfy to go then theyr will open the exchnage to CP fro marketing
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Wed 14-Mar-12 10:25:02
Print Post

Anybody in Broadstairs / Ramsgate wants to post their cabinet number and location, and also whether the FTTC cabinets been installed I'm making a list to see how close we are to the 10 cabinets.

I'll post the list later.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Mar-12 18:18:05
Print Post

I am on {NDRAM}{P17}. It has not been done yet
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Wed 14-Mar-12 19:48:28
Print Post

Thanks for the info, location would have been helpful wink

A quick check on the postcodes for P17 reveals it covers quite a large area (Winterstoke Crescent across to Albert Rd), and I remembered seeing a cabinet on the corner of Dumpton Park Drive & Thanet Road, and it was indeed 17

Here's what I've got so far:

Exchange: Cab No. FTTC Cab (Y/N) followed by Location

NDBRO 18 Yes Juction of The Maples and Rumfields Rd
NDRAM 1 No 3 High Street St Lawrence
NDRAM 5 Yes Junction of Saxon Rd and Chilton Lane
NDRAM 6 Yes 19 Canterbury Road East
NDRAM 13 Yes Corner of Grange Road by Roundabout
NDRAM 17 No Corner of Dumpton Park Drive & Thanet Road
NDRAM 22 No Junction of Manston Rd and Newington Road
NDRAM 27 Yes Juction of Southeastern Rd and Vale Road
NDRAM 44 Yes 55 London Road
NDRAM 49 Yes 73 Windermere Avenue
NDRAM 53 Yes Opposite 31 Northwood Road

Edit: Cab 34 Ramsgate (Junction of Arklow Square and Victoria Rd) due to be installed 13/03/2012 to 22/03/2012 (estimated)

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 14-Mar-12 20:12:01)

Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Wed 14-Mar-12 23:34:17
Print Post

I've come up with this Google Map tonight, seems like Ramsgate has at least 7 cabinets already installed that I know of.

If you want to post your cabinet number and location, and if FTTC cabinet is installed or not I'll add it to the map - Ramsgate & Broadstairs only please.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 14-Mar-12 23:39:56)

Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:28:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by jimconsole:
Hi can someone tell me when my cab will be enabled please? CT119NH in Ramsgate
thanks

I found your other cabinet today, it's P40 and it's on the junction of West Cliff Rd & Crescent Rd. Both your potential cabinets (13 & 40) now have FTTC cabinets installed - they're just doing 40 now.

Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 14:00:40
Print Post

Apparently the Super Fast where and when site has been updated today.

Bad news for Sandwich - date is now showing June 2012, as for Ramsgate, Margate and Broadstairs it's still showing as March 2012 so I can only presume that the exchanges should go live in the next fortnight smile or before June anyway frown

Standard User martyn
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-12 14:58:10
Print Post

Apparently the Super Fast where and when site has been updated today.

Bad news for Sandwich - date is now showing June 2012, as for Ramsgate, Margate and Broadstairs it's still showing as March 2012 so I can only presume that the exchanges should go live in the next fortnight smile or before June anyway frown

Dont know how accurate the TalkTalk checker is but is showing Ramsgate, Broadstairs and Margate as July 2012 although nothing on the BT Checker.
TalkTalk is showing Sandwich June 2012
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 20-Mar-12 15:27:42
Print Post

I hope the Sandwich exchange will go live before June, seems a little silly to delay it for 3 months when Openreach have installed/are installing the infrastructure at this very moment. There are even dates set on Elgin to dig up the power cables for the new cabs over the next week.

I'm curious as to the cause of the delay. Shame frown
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Mar-12 15:37:31
Print Post

I hope the Sandwich exchange will go live before June, seems a little silly to delay it for 3 months when Openreach have installed/are installing the infrastructure at this very moment. There are even dates set on Elgin to dig up the power cables for the new cabs over the next week.

I'm curious as to the cause of the delay. Shame frown
The date on the checker is just a placeholder - it rolls every 3 months if the previous target date was not met. The real date will appear on the checker when the cab is due to go live.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 20-Mar-12 16:11:49
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

I was thinking that may have been the case; thanks for the clarification!

Let's hope it goes live sometime next month/may then smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 20-Mar-12 19:36:29
Print Post

Crikey! what a difference from march to july! nowt we can do then is there but sit & wait and hope they get it enabled well before that.
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 20:08:52
Print Post

I got all excited when I saw my cabinet was installed and a RFS date of 1-03-2012 on Sam Knows, but now I've just come back down to it will happen when it happens.

We should be glad that at least it is happening and we can see the cabinets going in, lets just hope that when the exchanges are activated all the installed cabinets are too.

Standard User martyn
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-12 20:19:41
Print Post

I got all excited when I saw my cabinet was installed and a RFS date of 1-03-2012 on Sam Knows, but now I've just come back down to it will happen when it happens.

We should be glad that at least it is happening and we can see the cabinets going in, lets just hope that when the exchanges are activated all the installed cabinets are too.

Wonder how accurate that Talk Talk checker is, a bit strange that they have it and not BT, even gives an estimate for my line speed using address only. Never seen that before for my address.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 20-Mar-12 20:31:15
Print Post

Well the data must come from Openreach, so perhaps they're just making it up, that or there was a cock-up somewhere. Most likely the latter.
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 22:17:19
Print Post

Talk Talk states the following for my address:

Superfast Fibre Optic Broadband is planned for your line in July 2012. Register your interest and we'll contact you as soon as it becomes available.*

Your estimated download speed would be 57Meg and upload speed would be 20Meg.^

I'm about 450 meters from my cabinet, so the above is probably about right.

Now none of the checkers I've used previously have stated anything about FTTC, not even the BT Wholesale checker, so I also wonder where this info is coming from.

Standard User kernow76
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 23:59:03
Print Post

I have a street cab a few meters from my house at the western most end of Boundary Road, CT11 7NR. From the spreadsheets I've seen, I'm guessing its P2. Any idea when that will be done, and would I be right in thinking that we need all the cabs in the area to be done before they will start accepting orders?

Thanks,

Paul
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 21-Mar-12 01:24:30
Print Post

[re: kernow76] [link to this post]

Take a look on http://kent.roadworks.org/index.cfm

Click on the 'Zoom to...' drop down box, select postcode and type yours in. Then tick off 'Current works' and 'Planned works' in the box in the top left corner of the map.

This should show any works going on, have a look where your cabinet is and see if there are any planned works. The site is updated very frequently throughout the day as well.
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Wed 21-Mar-12 10:51:06
Print Post

Thanks, I'll add that to my map, although could do with confirming that it is indeed P2

The cabinet and your postcode are scheduled, but as the poster says above keep an eye on Elgin and you can then find out when it's being installed.

Somebody said they will enable the exchange when at least 10 cabinets are ready to go, well there's over 10 cabinets installed in Ramsgate, but I don't know if these are ready. I saw what could of been fibre being pulled up the High Street last Thursday so they may not all be connected yet.

Standard User Daemos
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 18:56:44
Print Post

Had occasion to call into the chemists (next door to the Montefiore Medical Centre on Dumpton Park Drive ) so I walked down the road to the junction with Thanet road (NDRAM 17 ). There is no new cabinet - just the old rusty one with "17" sprayed in paint on it. There are no markings on the ground. Had a look around the corner - Thanet Road - so sign of a cab.

Nothing yet on Elgin

Hope this helps with the map.
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Wed 21-Mar-12 20:29:28
Print Post

Thanks for the info Daemos.

I was out tonight and spotted one at the Broadstairs end of Dumpton Park Drive, P7, when I plotted the postcodes covered by this cabinet it showed one in Ramsgate (CT118AE), now this is 1.3 miles away from the cabinet and way out on it's own from the other postcodes served by that cabinet. This postcode is also served by the Ramsgate P17 (85% of the lines), the other 14% being from the Broadstairs P7 cabinet, very strange???

Standard User kernow76
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 00:49:39
Print Post

Thanks, P2 (no markings on current cab but I'm pretty sure thats the right ref no) will be done 04-12/4/12.
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Thu 22-Mar-12 08:47:25
Print Post

Thanks, your post promted me to check Elgin again, although I have an email alert setup I had not received one regarding the cabinet on Boundary Rd.

So I've setup another alert and rechecked current and future BT works and have added/updated quite a few cabinets this morning.

Standard User Cstark
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 10:21:38
Print Post

Any ideas when the cab (not sure on number) CT12 6FD (Manston Road) Will be done?

Looked at the google maps, and there's one on Manston Road, but I'm further up near Tesco (new estate).

Thanks

Edited by Cstark (Thu 22-Mar-12 10:23:12)

Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Thu 22-Mar-12 13:21:23
Print Post

[re: Cstark] [link to this post]

Sorry, there's nothing in the December spreadsheet for that postcode, which means it wasn't scheduled when the December spreadsheet was leaked.

Someone else may be able to give you some further advice, there were some other spreadsheets about but the December one had all the postcodes that were scheduled then and I've not heard of a newer spreadsheet on the forums.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Mar-12 13:24:12
Print Post

Thanks, your post promted me to check Elgin again, although I have an email alert setup I had not received one regarding the cabinet on Boundary Rd.

So I've setup another alert and rechecked current and future BT works and have added/updated quite a few cabinets this morning.

They don't send emails out when planned works show up, they only send out emails the morning those works START.

I found it was easier to just check the map on Elgin every day for new BT works.
Standard User Daemos
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 18:02:18
Print Post

I was out tonight and spotted one at the Broadstairs end of Dumpton Park Drive, P7, ...............

Ronski at a guess I would say that the broadstairs ones are the Medical centre and that the houses that pre existed the Medical centre being built are the ones on P17. Possibly there were not enough lines on P17 for the Medical centre and they ran a new cable to wherever they could find enough lines. A theory - nothing to back it up.
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Thu 22-Mar-12 19:59:48
Print Post

The Montefiore Medical Centre is on Ramsgate P17, got to be some weird reason, I did think it could be an error in the data but with two cabinets adding up to 99% of lines for that postcode the total seems correct, unless of course the wrong cabinet has been assigned to the 14% of lines, so could just be a data error, as there other cabinets closer which would be on the Ramsgate exchange.

Anyway, Thursday night again so been playing Taxi for my daughters and took different routes this week and spotted a lot more FTTC cabinets and some numbers for previously unknown cabinets, so I'm going to update the map.

Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Fri 23-Mar-12 15:46:03
Print Post

My mate who jogs around Broadstairs has seen quite bit of BT activity at previously installed cabinets, he said they we're working on both the old cabinet and the FTTC cabinets. This was at three different locations, hopefully the switch on is getting nearer.

Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Fri 23-Mar-12 18:44:48
Print Post

hopefully mate weve just had our one installed now down the road by green lane all barriers removed and hole filled in and on talktalk website it says in july ill be able to get fibre broadband so bt should be sooner as it takes talktalk 2 months after bt have been there so fingers crossed anytime now
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Mar-12 21:08:53
Print Post

Streetview shows cabinet installation in progress in George Hill Road / Kingsgate Avenue!!!
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Fri 23-Mar-12 22:54:43
Print Post

Err, no it's actually a notice board - move back and forward past the cabinet and you get pictures from two different times. I wondered what it was when I saw that on street view, knew it couldn't be a cabinet because street view pictures are about two years old.

Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Sun 25-Mar-12 09:25:02
Print Post

I notice this morning on Elgin there are a lot of
Excavate to lay electric duct and joint hole. Ukpn jointing team to execute jointing works.
at sites of installed FTTC cabinets, although the date is 04/04/2012 to 12/04/2012 (estimated)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 18:42:17
Print Post

Does it look like Kingsgate won't included in the upgrade? It certainly seems so from the map you have prepared. What a shame frown painfully slow broadband here
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Sun 25-Mar-12 20:09:41
Print Post

Kingsgate is included in the FTTC upgrade, the Fayreness Hotel (CT10 3LG) is on cabinet 1, and has an uplift of 65.96 times the estimated current ADSL speed. A friend of a friend lives in Maple Close, and her cabinet was also scheduled.

Unfortunately at the moment I don't know the cabinet numbers of the ones I've found in Kingsgate. I don't get over that way, my mate who jogs past that way told me where the cabinets were, but not any numbers, and he's not reported seeing any FTTC cabinets.

I suspect they will be amongst the last to go in when doing Broadstairs, due to the distance there's greater chance of BT's ducts being blocked. BT were clearing some ducts on Beacon Road recently, if I remember correctly.

CT9 3TS, which is on the little industrial estate by Maple Close, is on Margate P20, their uplift is 148.33 times!

Edit: Just tried quite a few postcodes for Botany Road, and none of them come up on the spread sheet, Maple close, which is off Botany Rd is on cabinet P1, seems they've missed Botany Rd for some reason, everything either side seems to be getting FTTC

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 25-Mar-12 20:22:49)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 21:09:45
Print Post

It seems I spoke to soon then - thank you that was very informative! I guess it's just a matter of playing the waiting game! I have to say I think this is really good for Thanet. We always seem to miss out what with poor TV reception etc. Really good news that we will be amongst the first to receive superfast broadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Mon 26-Mar-12 08:21:33
Print Post

I hope your not in Botany Rd - don't know if you saw my edit.

FTTC has been around for about 1 to 2 years so we're certainly not amongst the first, but at least we're not the last.

Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 10:36:59
Print Post

any ideas when we will go live in broadstairs?
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Tue 27-Mar-12 13:28:03
Print Post

No idea, I would of said soon, but this is BT.

Superfast where and when still shows March, so at least the date hasn't slipped like Sandwich.

Interestingly when I put my home number in the BT checker it says nothing about FTTC, but my Sandwich work's number does and says June IIRC.

Ramsgate seems to have more cabinets installed than Broadstairs, but no idea if they are cabled and powered up.

Have noticed on Elgin that some Broadstairs cabinets are scheduled to have power installed first two week's of April. Previous cabinet works listed on Elgin implied the power was installed the same time as the cabinet.

So it's just a waiting game.

Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 14:28:02
Print Post

ok m8 thanks the one by wasnt installed next to the old cab it was moved around the corner into harrowdene road i wonder why they had to do that could u shed some light on this or wouldnt u know?
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Tue 27-Mar-12 15:37:50
Print Post

I've no idea, but loads of them aren't installed next to the cabinets, quite a few are even the other side of the road.

Standard User iangilf
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 17:03:44
Print Post

ok ta
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Tue 27-Mar-12 17:43:19
Print Post

Mainly its a better location to install the cab, more room on the pavement etc.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User andrewdb
(committed) Tue 27-Mar-12 18:49:35
Print Post

No progress seems to have been made with FTTP in my part of Westgate from what i can tell. I'm doubtful they will do anything until FTTC is up and running across Thanet.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 27-Mar-12 20:10:32
Print Post

Have noticed on Elgin that some Broadstairs cabinets are scheduled to have power installed first two week's of April. Previous cabinet works listed on Elgin implied the power was installed the same time as the cabinet.

So it's just a waiting game.

Yup.

I can't say much but the above is not an isolated case.

vFast Ltd
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 08:01:14
Print Post

any ideas when we will go live in broadstairs?

I'm seeing a lot of duct's being installed around Broadstairs/Ramsgate, also an increase of duct blockages being cleared. As well as actually seeing these works being carried out there's a lot showing on the Elgin/roadworks.org website.

I don't think they've actually installed the fibre from the exchanges yet, so with the flurry of power connections scheduled for the first two weeks of April and the duct repairs, I reckon it won't go live until the latter part of April at the earliest.

Standard User martyn
(committed) Fri 30-Mar-12 16:37:17
Print Post

I see all 3 exchanges in Thanet have slipped to June 2012

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 19:46:26
Print Post

That doesn't surprise me, they just aren't ready. As I posted above I realistically think it could be the end of April, although once ducts are cleared they still need to install the tube and blow the fibre through.

I think I did see them installing the tube/pipe for the fibre in Ramsgate High Street a few weeks ago, but it could of been for something else all together.

Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Sun 01-Apr-12 16:51:08
Print Post

[re: Cstark] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Cstark:
Any ideas when the cab (not sure on number) CT12 6FD (Manston Road) Will be done?

Looked at the google maps, and there's one on Manston Road, but I'm further up near Tesco (new estate).

Thanks

I've imported the complete December leaked set of data into my database, your postcode is on cabinet 25.

The strange thing is cabinet 25 covers the following postcodes CT126AT, CT126PQ, CT110PJ, CT110AF, CT126PP, CT126AZ, CT126FD, CT118PL & CT126AY which are spread around Ramsgate, seems very odd that it covers such a wide area, and I wonder if this is correct?

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 15-Apr-12 20:32:39
Print Post

I've been on holiday for a week, went out for a walk to Broadstairs yesterday and noticed quite a few PCP cabinets had been re-shelled, mine included. Also noticed that quite a few BT man holes covers look like they've been lifted recently - don't know if they've blown the fibre through or not.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Apr-12 23:33:38
Print Post

who knows m8 but the due date on the websites are june / july for us to be able to order fibre so its a while away yet which is frustrating
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 02:14:49
Print Post

Lots of additional works still due for various reasons. Ah the fun with the ongoing works frown.

vFast Ltd
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 16-Apr-12 09:10:47
Print Post

like what yaz?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 16-Apr-12 21:13:58
Print Post

I take it its not looking good for botany road? sadly we struggle to get 1.5 meg - I know people in this road who get less than 50k... tbh its amazing that we connect at all considering our attenuation is 65+ so you can imagine how bad it/slow our broadband is!
if we are not on the list is there anything we can do? we really need some broadband love for once!! =D
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:03:54
Print Post

Power connections (for one example) have not been carried out at a lot of the cabís. This was supposed to have been done at the same time as the cab installation but didn't happen in a large number of cases.

I can't really say anything more than that. Keep an eye on the www.roadworks.org site (not the Beta version *spit*) for the Streetworks permits.

vFast Ltd
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Mon 16-Apr-12 23:06:40
Print Post

I take it its not looking good for botany road? sadly we struggle to get 1.5 meg - I know people in this road who get less than 50k... tbh its amazing that we connect at all considering our attenuation is 65+ so you can imagine how bad it/slow our broadband is!
if we are not on the list is there anything we can do? we really need some broadband love for once!! =D

It really surprised me when I discovered that Botany Road wasn't included, I have no idea why not, things may have changed since December (when the spreadsheet was leaked). Botany Rd is served from cabinet 21, which I believe is located at the top of your road. The area's either side of Bottany Rd are being done, so it's odd your not, and as you say the uplift in that area is very high, most around 65, but one postcode has a 144 x uplift figure!

As to what you can do, well the only thing I've seen suggested is to get everybody in the road to register their interest on the http://www.bt.com/infinity website regardless of whether they want it or not.

There is another option, and that is Vfast, they use Wi-fi and not your phone line, cost is not as cheap as normal braodband, but is comparable to FTTC costs. I have a friend who lives near Westwood Cross, but can't get broadband because his line is on the Manston exchange, and he has been with Vfast for years now.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 16-Apr-12 23:09:56)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 16-Apr-12 23:21:00
Print Post

Many thanks for your fast reply and detailed info, I have already registered on BT inf but as you sugggest I wiill see if i can get others to do the same.

I really hope they just left us of the list in december - fingers crossed tongue

again, many thanks!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 17-Apr-12 13:53:39
Print Post

Does anyone know if the Worth Village cabinet (on the Sandwich Exchange) is going to be upgraded to FTTC? The checker doesnt say, just wondered if anyone knew of any plans ? (Sandwich date for enablement is 30th June 2012)

The existing cabinet has a number 7 on it.

Already registered my interest on the link provided above.

Thanks.
Standard User Daemos
(newbie) Tue 17-Apr-12 15:08:31
Print Post

I was out yesterday walking into Ramsgate (along Dumpton Park Drive) and when I got to the Broadgate Hall on the corner with Thanet Road I had a look at NDRAM 17. There were no markings on the ground just a crudely painted 17 on the cabinet. I then crossed over the road with the intention of going along Avenue Road and down Victoria Road to King Street. But then I saw a new cabinet all by itself on Thanet Road exactly opposite Avenue Road. There was new tarmacadam following a line back to the junction with Dumpton Park Drive but no sign of it going across the road to the cabinet at Broadgate Hall. (Maybe they have a duct under Dumpton Park Drive ? or is there a link up still to take place ?)

But what is really strange is that you can stand there, at the junction of Thanet Road and Avenue Road, and see the old cab up at Broadgate Hall and then look down Avenue Road and see the old cab and new one next to it at Arklow square !

If anyone is in the area - what do you make of it ? Job done ?
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 18:42:25
Print Post

Does anyone know if the Worth Village cabinet (on the Sandwich Exchange) is going to be upgraded to FTTC? The checker doesnt say, just wondered if anyone knew of any plans ? (Sandwich date for enablement is 30th June 2012)

The existing cabinet has a number 7 on it.

Already registered my interest on the link provided above.

Thanks.

Sorry, Sandwich PCP7 was not scheduled in the December list

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 18:45:43
Print Post

If anyone is in the area - what do you make of it ? Job done ?

Thanks for the info, I'll update my map.

No, it's probably not job done, may still need the power running in, and almost certainly need the fibre blowing through from the exchange.

It's not unusual for FTTC cabinets to be some distance from their respective PCP, I think they can be up to 50 meters away.

Edited to reflect correct distance from PCP

Edited by R0NSKI (Tue 17-Apr-12 19:45:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Apr-12 18:49:31
Print Post

50 metres I think. 100 metres is the maximum ethernet connection distance, usually discussed here in relation to how far the router can be from the modem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 18-Apr-12 08:51:37
Print Post

Power connections (for one example) have not been carried out at a lot of the cabís. This was supposed to have been done at the same time as the cab installation but didn't happen in a large number of cases.

I can't really say anything more than that. Keep an eye on the www.roadworks.org site (not the Beta version *spit*) for the Streetworks permits.

I actually find the Beta site far better, easier to navigate around, and dead simple to see which roadworks belong to BT. May be it's a little slow though.

Been looking this morning and it seems that loads of cabinets are getting re-shelled, some of these I'm not sure if the FTTC has been installed, but presume as they are re-shelling they must have been.

There are not many duct clearance's scheduled in Broadstairs or Ramsgate, certainly far less than before my holiday. Still quite a few in Margate area though. So it look likes we're getting closer.

There still appear to be some FTTC cabinets to be done, I'll have to make a list at some point of one's that have not been confirmed and get them checked.

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 21:11:52
Print Post

I actually find the Beta site far better, easier to navigate around, and dead simple to see which roadworks belong to BT. May be it's a little slow though.

Been looking this morning and it seems that loads of cabinets are getting re-shelled, some of these I'm not sure if the FTTC has been installed, but presume as they are re-shelling they must have been.

There are not many duct clearance's scheduled in Broadstairs or Ramsgate, certainly far less than before my holiday. Still quite a few in Margate area though. So it look likes we're getting closer.

There still appear to be some FTTC cabinets to be done, I'll have to make a list at some point of one's that have not been confirmed and get them checked.

The Beta site is limited and is far from its full potential until complete. The current data available on the Beta is pretty good for the average member of public just looking for roadworks. The rest of the site is much more for utilities and highway authorities.

Onto business, the re-shells are PCP works which may be linked to FTTC works but not always guaranteed.

Some FTTC cab's are requiring additional works other than power. It's all over the place currently as there isn't one contractor carrying out works but multiple contractors and sub-contractors. It's a nightmare at times as things are discussed, repeatedly, then they change up and start all over. Do this multiple times for the same sites and you won't believe that amount of time spent dealing with what should be much simpler matters.

vFast Ltd
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-Apr-12 17:45:56
Print Post

so bt cock up ?
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 22:58:54
Print Post

Probably BT and its sub contractors.

Still quite a few cabinets to be installed and they seem to keep slipping back.

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Fri 20-Apr-12 12:57:54
Print Post

My cabinet (Thanet, 31) in CT9 5DQ had its partner installed a couple of months ago. Still no sign of deployment, however. Incidentally, this cabinet doesn't appear on your map for Margate. It's in Westbrook Avenue near the junction with Westcliff Road and is visible on Google Street View (behind a parked van). That's the old cabinet, of course!
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 20-Apr-12 13:21:14
Print Post

[re: rjh321] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, I'll update the map later. I don't get over Margate way often, so if you spot any others I've not got or have not got the number then let me know please.

Edit: Map updated

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 20-Apr-12 18:46:08)

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Sun 22-Apr-12 12:31:49
Print Post

Ronski,
Just had a little tour round the local (easily reached) cabinets in Margate, whilst walking the dog. The one on Canterbury Road outside the Royal Seabathing Hospital is definitely cabinet 12 and it has a FTTC installed. On the roundabout at the junction of Hartsdown Road and All Saints' Avenue is number 13 which also has a FTTC installed. Where George V Avenue meets Westfield Road is number 45, also with a FTTC installed. Lastly, you have one marked at the roundabout at the end of All Saints' Avenue where it joins the A28. Unfortunately this is now a building site with no access and I couldn't even see the cabinet. I'll try to look again when the site is open (not Sunday!).
I listened to all the cabinets but could hear nothing so it looks like they're not powered-up yet. It's best to do that when nobody's watching! One of these days I'll get arrested....
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Apr-12 13:34:13
Print Post

I listened to all the cabinets but could hear nothing so it looks like they're not powered-up yet. It's best to do that when nobody's watching! One of these days I'll get arrested....
If questioned, tell them your dog has lost its sense of smell, and you are its sniffer-man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 22-Apr-12 18:12:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by rjh321:

On the odd occasion I've checked my cabinet I've pretended to tie my shoe lace! My older daughter hates me doing it, in case someone notices LOL.

Thanks for checking and confirming those cabinets, I'd worked out the numbers from the post code data for all the ones you mentioned this morning and found quite a few others, it's good to know I'd got them all correct. I've updated the map with the relevant details.

I've got 12 unknown/missing cabinets left in Margate, 5 in Ramsgate and none in Broadstairs.

Edit: Make that 9 missing/unknown in Margate now.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 22-Apr-12 18:30:26)

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Sun 22-Apr-12 18:36:48
Print Post

My wife pretends she's not with me when I listen to cabinets! Anyway, if there's anything I can do to help with the unknown/missing ones in Margate, please let me know.

My Broadband Speed Test

Looking forward to a speed increase!
Standard User martyn
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-12 21:57:03
Print Post

My Cab is waiting for:

topsoil and seed required in verge area approx 1 grab

If they had asked me I would have chucked some seed down for them to speed it up smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 22-Apr-12 22:46:28
Print Post

rgh321 If you can verify the numbers of any Margate exchange cabinets I've worked out from postcode data, and if any Red/Yellow cabinets now have a FTTC cabinets it would help. To find any I've worked out from postcode's just do Ctrl F (for find) and search for 'postcode' when the map is displayed.

I think I've located all the Cabinets in Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate, except for these four in Ramsgate http://batchgeo.com/map/41ce7365f85dbb2bb382f60507e9...

There's two cabinets ( http://g.co/maps/bypmp) on the corner of Edgar Rd/Northdown Road, one I know is 3, the other looks like 5, but postcode data puts cabinet 5 on Norfolk Rd. When there's two cabinets together do they have different numbers or are they grouped, could they both be 3?

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Mon 23-Apr-12 09:53:56
Print Post

I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile, I may have found one of your Ramsgate ones. Try looking for the Hare & Hounds pub on Margate Road. Directly opposite it is a phone box and beside it is a cabinet. It doesn't seem to be on your map.

My Broadband Speed Test

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:17:00
Print Post

Thanks, that's a mobile phone cabinet, there's a mast next to it.

Edit: Noticed your upload is 0.4, if your raise a support ticket with Plusnet and ask for it to be uncapped it should increase - that's how I got mine faster.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 23-Apr-12 10:25:03)

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Mon 23-Apr-12 10:51:13
Print Post

Oops, sorry. Should have noticed the mast! I'll be more careful in future....
Thanks for the advice about the upload speed.

Just noticed that the one I was trying to find, in CT12 6AT, is given in the December spreadsheet as cabinet P3, not P20, as you say.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by rjh321 (Mon 23-Apr-12 11:06:13)

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Mon 23-Apr-12 17:53:42
Print Post

Ronski - more updates for you. Today I visited NDTHA21, NDTHA37, NDTHA25 & NDTHA38. All have FTTC cabinets and your deducted numbers are correct. I also managed to get into the building site near Arlington House and found the BT cabinet - it's NDTHA8 but there's no sign of an FTTC. As it's a building site I couldn't search around much but I don't imagine BT would put a FTTC cabinet there in the present conditions.

My Broadband Speed Test

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Mon 23-Apr-12 19:59:26
Print Post

Your a star, thanks for the updates and confirming the numbers.

P8 was scheduled to be done at the end of March on roadworks.org, but it's been a building site for sometime now so as you say they may well not have done it.

Oops, sorry. Should have noticed the mast! I'll be more careful in future....

Not a problem, I had one marked on the map for a while until I realised.

Just noticed that the one I was trying to find, in CT12 6AT, is given in the December spreadsheet as cabinet P3, not P20, as you say.

That postcode is also served by cabinet P20, the version of the spreadsheet your looking at only has cabinets which are scheduled to be done. I've got the full version which came in two sections, which I imported into a database. Someone removed all the cabinets which were not being done so it would fit into a single spreadsheet.

I wonder if those remaining cabinets in Ramsgate are erroneous data, take P20, there's only one record in the entire database, and that shows it supplying just 6% of the lines to CT12 6AT. Or put another way just one line, presuming all 15 properties for that postcode have phones.

But then surely P20 should exist somewhere, so has it's lines been incorrectly assigned to another cabinet?? After all I do have what appear to be BT cabinets, but with no numbers for them.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 23-Apr-12 20:02:01)

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:50:55
Print Post

As it wasn't raining today, I've been very busy. I visited all the Margate cabinets that I hadn't visited previously, mostly by walking. So, my feet hurt (!) and Ronski, there's a lot of data. How would you like it?
It's interesting that BT/Openreach have now provided an FTTC cabinet for practically everyone. There are also quite a few reshells taking place. Unfortunately the reshelled cabinets don't have numbers.
I did find one new cabinet which has no number. If you look on the map for Trinity Square on the B2055 and you stand in between "Trinity" and "Square" looking towards Homefern House, you should see it. I couldn't tell if it's really a BT cabinet or not.
Also one cabinet has the wrong number. That's the one you deduced as 1, which is actually 17. The one you deduced as 17 has no number and no BT indication. I don't know where the real number 1 is but there's a strange small black one with "T" on the front almost opposite 17 in Love Lane.

My Broadband Speed Test

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Thu 26-Apr-12 23:13:51
Print Post

That's great, hope your feet feel better now, was a nice day for a walk once the sun came out.

I think the one you found ( http://g.co/maps/ktuv7 ) is P1, post code data matches ( http://batchgeo.com/map/d3c0d9923a972159955dd7969278... ), and also the data for the correct 17 matches, and makes more sense, cabinet is now on the exchange side of the postcodes.

Not sure what that black box is ( http://g.co/maps/s6sr3 ), does look a bit like a BT cabinet but not sure.

I'll PM you my email address if that will make it easier to send me the info, look for the flashing icon at the top of the page next to forum index I think.

Thanks very much for your efforts.

I think we are getting closer, lots of Ramsgate cabinets scheduled for power connections, didn't get time to check all of Thanet this morning on the roadworks website.

PS. None of the yellow ones left in Ramsgate appear to have been done, although they did appear scheduled on the Road works site, don't know what's holding them up. Checked for planning applications as they may be in a conservation area, but nothing there either.

Edited by R0NSKI (Thu 26-Apr-12 23:21:31)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 30-Apr-12 22:02:37
Print Post

For those of us in Sandwich; looks like UK power networks will be 'plugging in' the cabinets very soon! (according to roadworks.org)
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 08-May-12 11:32:21
Print Post

Looks like Dover has gone live according to the Twitter News Feed, link in my signature.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-May-12 15:23:07
Print Post

thanet wont go live for a while as theyve cocked it up due to not connecting the power to the cabs as yet dam madness if u ask me they are forever digging up the pavements and resufacing and digging them up again look at broadstairs by the broadway outside the garage its all been opened up again barriers around it and noone working on it total disaster
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 08-May-12 15:37:18
Print Post

Yeah, loads showing on Elgin as power connection in progress, and I've seen a fair few dug up again. Seems a right waste of money and resources.

Don't even know if the fibres been installed yet, I've seen an increase in blocked ducts work in Margate.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-May-12 15:40:48
Print Post

total mess m8 , samknows says the 30th june
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 08-May-12 15:44:39
Print Post

That's just a place holder date, it could be before then, then again it could well slip again, it was March.....

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 18-May-12 13:40:24
Print Post

any news on broadstairs when we will go live this is beginning to become a pisstake lol
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 19-May-12 08:19:57
Print Post

any news on broadstairs when we will go live this is beginning to become a pisstake lol

It is just a bit, no solid news yet, but nearly all scheduled cabinets are now in and I think the majority have power connected, but I don't think they've laid the fibre yet, at least I haven't seen any being laid.

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 22-May-12 19:53:52
Print Post

Update on Thanet.

Checking roadworks.org tonight shows more works which look like they could be FTTC installations scheduled over the next 2 to 3 weeks. I've updated the map to show these with yellow push pins. There's still quite a few duct replacements and clearances scheduled as well.

This leaves just three scheduled cabinets to be done, possibly four. I'm not sure if NDRAM 38 at the junction of Abbots Hill & Camden Road Ramsgate has been done, it's not by the cabinet, only place I can think it may be is at the bottom of the steps in King Street, but haven't had chance to get down there to look.

The other three which haven't been done yet and don't appear to be scheduled are the one just up from the Viking Ship (NDRAM 21), the one in Cavendish Street (NDRAM 41) and the one on Margate sea front at the end of All Saints Avenue (NDTHA 8) which is currently a building site.

The other strange thing I've noticed is that a lot of cabinets seem scheduled yet again for power connections, the one in Northwood Rd was dug up a week or two ago, and has now been dug up again, so that's three times in total!

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-May-12 22:04:47
Print Post

god these cowboys are useless
Standard User martyn
(committed) Sat 26-May-12 01:14:51
Print Post

I see some postcodes on the Thanet exchange are accepting orders on the BT Infinity website smile

Mine isn't yet even though it was one of the 1st cabs placed frown
Standard User rjh321
(learned) Sat 26-May-12 07:56:00
Print Post

Wow! At last. Unfortunately I can't order fibre yet. Any idea which postcodes can place an order?

My Broadband Speed Test

Standard User martyn
(committed) Sat 26-May-12 09:54:06
Print Post

Wow! At last. Unfortunately I can't order fibre yet. Any idea which postcodes can place an order?

I just checked a few shops. Holly Lane chippie, Dane Valley newsagents, Vera's newsagents, opposite the Tesco's, Northdown Road.

Then I got bored and sulked smile

Edited by martyn (Sat 26-May-12 10:22:34)

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 27-May-12 08:24:15
Print Post

I've just check some and these appear to be live:

{NDTHA}{P2}
{NDTHA}{P7}
{NDTHA{P9}
{NDTHA{15}
{NDTHA}{P16}
{NDTHA}{P30}

Haven't got time to check any others, don't think mine will be live for a while, there's still new ducting scheduled on Bromstone/Rumfields Rd.

PS The ones above seem to form a natural leg along here http://goo.gl/maps/CO49

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 27-May-12 18:19:39)

Standard User martyn
(committed) Sun 27-May-12 10:58:00
Print Post

Think it is like a big loop. Along Dane Rd to the Dane Valley estate up to Holly Lane Shops and all along Northdown Road. Everything inside that loop. Could be wrong but that what it looks like to me.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 27-May-12 14:25:53
Print Post

Not sure quite what's going on, normal BT incompetence I guess, but just checked some others:

1 CT93LR on NDTHA 15 says they can get FTTC whilst 10 CT93TN on the same cabinet says no, they are only 1km away, but it may be a distance thing, 1km should really be ok. Unless of course the line takes an obscure route.

Guess I'll have to use a postcode close to the cabinet when checking.

Standard User martyn
(committed) Sun 27-May-12 15:24:25
Print Post

TalkTalk checker says 10 CT93TN can get it, so as you say probably BT checker not up to date.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 06-Jun-12 20:43:32
Print Post

any news on broadstairs / st peters yet ?
Standard User martyn
(committed) Thu 07-Jun-12 11:27:14
Print Post

Don't know. Thanet and Ramsgate have both been updated to taking orders but I can't yet. It looks like only a few cabs are enabled on the Thanet exchange, so even when the exchange is enabled could still be a long wait.
I have only checked a couple of postcodes on the Ramsgate exchange and can't order on them.
I would think Broadstairs would be enabled soon and then Openreach will probably sod off and leave the rest of us to wait ages, or if ever, to be enabled. frown
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Thu 07-Jun-12 15:14:27
Print Post

I've been away all week, I'll check some cabinets/addresses when I'm back tomorrow.

Hopefully there's been some progress whilst I've been away.

Just noticed on Twitter that Deal and Hythe have also gone live.

Edited by R0NSKI (Thu 07-Jun-12 15:45:41)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 05:21:26
Print Post

i see ramsgate and margate are now accepting orders but broadstairs isnt frown
Standard User rjh321
(learned) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:55:17
Print Post

I've asked Plusnet to accept an order for Fibre, although my cabinet (on the Thanet exchange) doesn't seem ready yet. I'll report back when they reply.

Reply received - as I expected they can't take my order as the cabinet isn't ready and there's no timescale for it to be ready....

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by rjh321 (Fri 08-Jun-12 13:24:08)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 15:25:08
Print Post

it will be bt first in the exchange so plusnet talktalk and sky will have to wait have u tried bt checker?
and its only ramsgate and margate that are accepting orders
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 16:59:23
Print Post

it will be bt first in the exchange so plusnet talktalk and sky will have to wait have u tried bt checker?
and its only ramsgate and margate that are accepting orders

Being BT has nothing to do with it, as far as I'm aware it's only Sky* that will have to wait as they need to install some of their own equipment. Once your cabinets live you should be able to order FTTC through your ISP, presuming they offer it.

*Not sure if other LLU ISP's will need their own equipment.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 17:03:56
Print Post

exactly im saying u will more han likely be able to order threw bt rather than ur own isp at the minute as it takes a few weeks b4 other isps get the abbility to install there own hardware for you to order threw any other isp other than bt for te time being i have spoke to talktalk and they told me it takes a few weeks after the exchange has gone live b4 they are able to install there own hardware
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 17:07:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by martyn:
Don't know. Thanet and Ramsgate have both been updated to taking orders but I can't yet. It looks like only a few cabs are enabled on the Thanet exchange, so even when the exchange is enabled could still be a long wait.
I have only checked a couple of postcodes on the Ramsgate exchange and can't order on them.
I would think Broadstairs would be enabled soon and then Openreach will probably sod off and leave the rest of us to wait ages, or if ever, to be enabled. frown

You need to check postcode and address, and preferably an address next to the cabinet, and 100% of lines in that postcode should be supplied by the cabinet you want to check, otherwise you may check an address for a different cabinet.

Check 14 Ramsgate ones this afternoon, these are accepting orders:

NDRAM23
NDRAM33
NDRAM34
NDRAM50
NDRAM51

and these are the others I've checked, which aren't yet.

NDRAM2
NDRAM16
NDRAM17
NDRAM30
NDRAM31
NDRAM32
NDRAM36
NDRAM37
NDRAM39

I've updated the map accordingly.

Looks like they enable just five cabs first of all, as thats what was done in Margate, haven't checked to see if anymore in Margate are live yet. Checked a few in Broadstairs but nothing yet.

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 17:11:05
Print Post

exactly im saying u will more han likely be able to order threw bt rather than ur own isp at the minute as it takes a few weeks b4 other isps get the abbility to install there own hardware for you to order threw any other isp other than bt for te time being i have spoke to talktalk and they told me it takes a few weeks after the exchange has gone live b4 they are able to install there own hardware

TalkTalk are LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) so that makes sense, but the likes of Plus Net and many others are not, any ISP that completely uses BT infrastructure should be able to take orders from the time the cab goes live.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 17:29:32
Print Post

ok mate
Standard User martyn
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-12 21:13:06
Print Post

TalkTalk are LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) so that makes sense, but the likes of Plus Net and many others are not, any ISP that completely uses BT infrastructure should be able to take orders from the time the cab goes live.

When I checked the day the Thanet exchange went live, you could order BT, TalkTalk and Sky fibre at least. So should give a good choice when the cabs do go live.

Great work on that Google map Ronski, must take a lot of effort, much appreciated smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 21:17:19
Print Post

there still clearing blockages in ducts where i live in st peters [censored] taking forever
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 22:29:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by martyn:
Great work on that Google map Ronski, must take a lot of effort, much appreciated smile

Thanks, but it's not been too bad, and I've had a lot of help from rjh321 with Margate, so I can't take all the credit.

Checking which cabinets have been enabled is a bit time consuming, as I have to get a house number and post code to feed into the checker for each cabinet, but I'm storing these in my database so it makes it easier to recheck them.

there still clearing blockages in ducts where i live in st peters [censored] taking forever

Still quite a few ducts around Broadstairs, and some in Ramsgate as well. They've worked their way down Bromstone Rd, and Rumfields Rd past my cabinet (18) and are now going past St Georges School with new ducts I guess heading towards 31 at the end of Poor Hole Lane.

Standard User rjh321
(learned) Sat 09-Jun-12 08:26:26
Print Post

Thanks for the credit, Ronski, but all I've done is walk around Margate checking cabinets. You've done all the map creation/updating work plus a lot more background work that I can't imagine.

Anyway, some people seem to be under the illusion that the Margate and Thanet exchanges are different. That's not true. For some reason, the Margate exchange is called Thanet! Perhaps someone knows the history and can enlighten us all. The physical Thanet area includes Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate, but only Margate has a different exchange name.

My Broadband Speed Test

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 09-Jun-12 19:23:00
Print Post

Just an update, I've now checked all Margate cabinets, and the following are accepting orders:

NDTHA2
NDTHA4
NDTHA7
NDTHA9
NDTHA15
NDTHA16
NDTHA20
NDTHA28
NDTHA30
NDTHA42

The maps been updated, cabinets accepting orders are in purple, wish I'd not done them all green now, would of made sense to have them green when accepting orders, oh well, can't be bothered to change them all.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 09-Jun-12 19:28:11
Print Post

unreal these muppets have dug up by the broadstairs garage again thats the 4th time its been dug up [censored] is up with these do they not know there job ?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 09-Jun-12 19:35:50
Print Post

dug up left and so on just dont understand it why do these people have to do it 4 times dig up re tarmac it and so on and now its left with guarding around it these people dont know what there doing and im sure they dont give a [censored] about it or this wouldnt of happened in the 1st place 1st of all they screwed up by not putting power to these cabs which is rediculus how can all this happen donyt these companies have method statements and so on ?
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 09-Jun-12 22:04:52
Print Post

unreal these muppets have dug up by the broadstairs garage again thats the 4th time its been dug up [censored] is up with these do they not know there job ?

Calm down, it's not worth getting stressed over, these utilities companies of been wasting money like this for years, and no doubt will carry on doing so.

According to Roadworks.org they are now installing 14 meters of poly ducts in the footway.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 15-Jun-12 14:26:29
Print Post

I don't suppose there's any more news on NDTHA34? Desperate to get an order in smile
Standard User rjh321
(learned) Fri 15-Jun-12 15:10:50
Print Post

Looks like NDTHA34 is still not operational. Same as mine (NDTHA31). They seem to have enabled 10 FTTC cabinets and then stopped!

As yours is the nearest cabinet to the exchange, you would think that it would be enabled early, but perhaps they think that you should have a good speed anyway.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by rjh321 (Fri 15-Jun-12 15:14:38)

Standard User deejayviper
(newbie) Fri 15-Jun-12 15:45:24
Print Post

I was Anon, in the above post.

It worries me that I might be connected straight to the exchange.... Do you know how that works? What distances are connected straight to?
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 15-Jun-12 15:53:57
Print Post

[re: deejayviper] [link to this post]

Have you checked your postcode against the December 2011 spreadsheet, as it would say if you are either connected to the cab or on a excange only line.

If you post your postcode we can check for you.

If you are on a exchange only lines they can either be short distances or very long, openreach has plans for the exchange only lines but its believed this wont start till 2014 once the main rollout has finished-.

As they will likely be on infill in enabled areas, for the exchange only lines it will be a mix off installing FTTP for short exhange only lines or FTTC on long lines- either new cabinet or put the lines to a existing FTTC cab if its commerically viable.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Fri 15-Jun-12 15:54:28)

Standard User deejayviper
(newbie) Fri 15-Jun-12 16:12:11
Print Post

I've not checked, but only because I can't find the spreadsheet LOL. ANy chance of a link? Cheers
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 15-Jun-12 17:06:42
Print Post

[re: deejayviper] [link to this post]

Have replied via pm- op is connected to pcp 34, 100% of the lines for their postcode.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 16-Jun-12 18:16:01
Print Post

All none live cabinets in Broadstairs, Ramsgate and Margate checked today, and found two new live cabinets in Ramsgate:

NDRAM 4
NDRAM 55

Total of 18 live and accepting orders across the 3 exchanges:

NDTHA 2
NDTHA 4
NDTHA 7
NDTHA 9
NDTHA 15
NDTHA 16
NDTHA 20
NDTHA 28
NDTHA 30
NDTHA 42

NDRAM 4
NDRAM 14
NDRAM 23
NDRAM 33
NDRAM 34
NDRAM 50
NDRAM 51
NDRAM 55

Edit: Forgot to add that I've noticed on Roadworks.org a lot of Ramsgate cabinets scheduled for additional earth rods over this weekend, and also another lot of blockage clearances.

Also only one cab left to go in in Broadstairs (unless it's already there), and thats at the top of Northdown Rd in St. Peters.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 16-Jun-12 18:20:45)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jun-12 09:42:27
Print Post

after looking at your google map thing, which is very good I must say it appears that botany road is not going to get installed. When I saw the road works there last week and was hopeful it was bt however it looks like its the gas board re-plumbing something - so annoying! I take it there is no new rollout plans atm?
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 19-Jun-12 10:23:22
Print Post

Bottany Rd (NDBRO21) was not scheduled in the December list, I don't think this cabinet serves enough properties to make it cost effective.

There's another in Broadstairs NDBRO 5 which serves Salisbury Ave, Park Ave and a large chunk of Ramsgate Rd. Really can't understand why this one is not being done.

There are others, but these cover industrial estates or retail areas, or not enough properties like the one in. Stirling Way, by the Marlow school .

I know that NDBRO 5 was not in the April list, but forgot to ask about 21, I doubt it is.

I emailed Ian Livingston about both these and got a pretty standard non helpful reply.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 20-Jun-12 19:19:39
Print Post

lmaooo now look it was meant to be june now look

Great news!

Fibre will be available in your area in
September 2012

this is one joke broadstairs and thanet are so behind the times its rediculous think im gonna stop bothering looking as its more frustrating everytime i look
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 20-Jun-12 19:39:54
Print Post

Fibre will be available in your area in September 2012

Not sure where you got that from Super Fast Where and When still states June for Broadstairs, as for Margate (Thanet) & Ramsgate they are accepting orders, and I really don't think Broadstairs is going to take much longer.

I noticed that there are loads of ducting road works in Broadstairs, with 174 meters scheduled for Bromstone/Rumfields Rd, that is the ducting to my cabinet (18), so I don't expect mine to be live until at least mid July - it'll probably go live whilst I'm on holiday!

PS It wouldn't surprise me if the where and when site showed September as we're so close to the end of the month, but that doesn't mean it won't be available before then.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 20-Jun-12 22:47:23
Print Post

that was from the talktalk my account website it was showing june now it shows september
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Thu 21-Jun-12 15:02:10
Print Post

Long thread affecting the viewing mode so closing this and suggest a part two with a link to this one.

Edit Linky to Part Two

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

[email protected]

Edited by Sadoldman (Thu 21-Jun-12 20:53:04)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to