General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-12 17:53:41
Print Post

Re: Dire torrent upload speeds using Infinity off-Peak.

[re: NVB] [link to this post]

Might have nothing whatsoever to do with your ISP. Most torrent users are behind a NAT device and nobody can make an incoming connection to you so you are limited to connecting to other P2P clients that are on public IP or properly port forwarded connections. To get decent speeds you will need to do some port forwarding so that the others in the torrent who have plenty of free bandwidth but are also hidden behind a NAT device can connect to you to send you packets.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-12 00:06:58
Print Post

[re: Going_Digital] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Going_Digital:
His problem is his upload is slow? "Downstreams are fine".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Feb-12 00:08:31)

Standard User asbokid
(regular) Sat 11-Feb-12 04:22:51
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
On any private bit torrent website you have your ratio tracked.

That is a very good point. I'd forgotten that some places place limits on what you can do based on the ratio. And that is, of course, a perfectly good response to the original, perfectly good, question.

I'll be the sacrificial lamb! We rely on BitTorrent for all our TV viewing. We get no TV signal. We can't get a satellite signal (a neighbour's tree is in the way) and our local terrestrial TV transmitter, although just 2km away, is highly directional, out of range and only a "Freeview Lite" PSB transmitter, any way.

For the record, we do have a valid TV licence, and have always had one!

There are two excellent BitTorrent trackers for British TV programmes. They carry all the popular broadcasts from the domestic channels. The trackers are largely supported by ex-pats, but we use them too. Both trackers require users to maintain a UL:DL ratio that is at least 1:1, so at deter the hit-and-run parasites. For that reason, an uncapped upstream service is important.

Bit of an aside, but it's frustrating that so many households, like ours, have been let down by digital terrestrial TV. The truth is we never wanted it in the first place. It was only ever a half-way house until FTTC or FTTP was properly rolled out. Reportedly costing £200m, the digital switchover represents poor value for money. That cash would have gone a long way in the fibre project. But maybe that's my bias!

cheers, a

Edited by asbokid (Sat 11-Feb-12 04:26:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Feb-12 09:26:48
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
I'll be the sacrificial lamb! We rely on BitTorrent for all our TV viewing. We get no TV signal. We can't get a satellite signal (a neighbour's tree is in the way) and our local terrestrial TV transmitter, although just 2km away, is highly directional, out of range and only a "Freeview Lite" PSB transmitter, any way.

For the record, we do have a valid TV licence, and have always had one!

There are two excellent BitTorrent trackers for British TV programmes. They carry all the popular broadcasts from the domestic channels. The trackers are largely supported by ex-pats, but we use them too. Both trackers require users to maintain a UL:DL ratio that is at least 1:1, so at deter the hit-and-run parasites. For that reason, an uncapped upstream service is important.

Bit of an aside, but it's frustrating that so many households, like ours, have been let down by digital terrestrial TV. The truth is we never wanted it in the first place. It was only ever a half-way house until FTTC or FTTP was properly rolled out. Reportedly costing £200m, the digital switchover represents poor value for money. That cash would have gone a long way in the fibre project. But maybe that's my bias!

cheers, a
Another option is to use get_iplayer - a free command line tool for sucking iPlayer content down and converting the FLV stream to MP4.
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Sun 12-Feb-12 19:31:59
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
Another option is to use get_iplayer - a free command line tool for sucking iPlayer content down and converting the FLV stream to MP4.

Thanks Spasch, I shall give get_iplayer a look. The one advantage of TV torrents is that someone has already transcoded the video images to a convenient format, and you can download them days, weeks or even months after broadcast. That's probably not what the broadcaster intended but..

cheers, a

Edited by asbokid (Sun 12-Feb-12 19:32:16)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 13-Feb-12 14:59:29
Print Post

have you ever thought that there is a lack of people complaining about upload speed because not many people are having problems, i am on bt infinity and do not have any problems with p2p,
i have not noticed any throtling at any time of the day, so you are either being restricted for a reason, or you are on an exchange that has a lot of people uploading, therefore being restricted,
and the only other thing it could be is your client, have you enable rc4 encryption at all, there are a few options you can change to speed things up.

i doubt very much that bt would throttle your connection only for rno reason, i know many people who get fantastic upload and download speeds with infinity, so i doubt it is traffic management unless they can see what it is you are uploading, which in some cases they can.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Feb-12 19:51:33
Print Post

I agree. I download lots of American TV shows and have multiple seasons of shows available to watch with my WD TV Live smile But, get_iplayer works for grabbing those BBC shows I never see on torrent sites.
Standard User Crillboy
(learned) Tue 03-Apr-12 05:06:35
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

I'm in the same boat as OP. Not a heavy torrent user, upload is 100kb/s 24/7 has been that way for as long as I can recall, got infinity November 2011.

Seems weird that they'd leave d/l alone except during peak, but throttle upload at all times. It's a massive pain on trackers that require a high upload ratio. When you can d/l at 4.5mb but upload at 100kb, you are totally handcuffed.

Edited by Crillboy (Tue 03-Apr-12 05:09:19)

Standard User mackie26
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 00:36:52
Print Post

[re: Crillboy] [link to this post]

After observing utorrent for two weeks on a new bt inifinity service I am using, i can only conclude that it's definitely a hard 24/7 limit of 100 KB/s.

let me give you an example of how i use bittorrent: I send large self-produced CD and DVD ISOs to the other side of the world for my folks to burn off to disc so they can watch/listen to. all via two little utorrents at either end of the spectrum. now it will take 10 times as long to send my stuff to my parents than it should do.

totally ridiculous.

I will now have to look into a VPN solution to thwart BT's detection of the traffic as BT. A hassle (due to the need to open up a port in the VPN service and get that successfully working also - must be the same as the local one in the bt infinity box), but luckily I'm an advanced user so can do this, and at least it'll get me much better ul speeds.

Of course, if I had my way I wouldn't be using bt as an ISP (I'm a guest in a home in this situation, and the speeds in general after all are superb) - I guess I'd have to weigh up the speed vs. throttling vs. unlimited usage policy aspects of the various ISPs and service types on offer (fiber, adsl2+, double adsl2+).....(oh and vs. pricing too obviously)
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 08-Nov-12 00:48:14
Print Post

[re: mackie26] [link to this post]

Best ive seen the upload on torrents is 1MB/s

i think that was mid morning.

BTInfinity - Aberdeen denburn (110m) from cab

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to