General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Wed 22-Feb-12 16:05:46
Print Post

Cabinet Question

[link to this post]

Been trying to find out when it's likely I'll be able to get fibre (sure I'm not the only one!) and keep coming into conflicting things. Thought I'd contact BT directly and was given an estimate of 31st March, which is likely a 'we don't know, but hope and see!' given the other posts with those dates!

I'm on Sky, so know my telephone wont help. Postcode is CM7 3QX. Hopefully I'll get more information out of here!
Standard User Embraer
(member) Wed 22-Feb-12 16:32:10
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Question

[re: vettieboo] [link to this post]

CM7 3QX is serviced by cabinet 5 on the Braintree (EABNT) and according to the Openreach database document it was part of phase 4a and has been deployed. As you've probably checked the BT Wholesale checker I can only confirm from it that it doesn't show FTTC available at the moment, which is weird considering the phase the cabinet should have been deployed under

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Wed 22-Feb-12 16:55:36
Print Post

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

I know it's odd, no dates or anything. I would think that considering that its been up for a while now at my exchange that there would be more information, but I can't get anything from the checkers, hence my confusion!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 22-Feb-12 17:22:00
Print Post

It probably means you are too far from the cabinet to benefit, or that BT's database is not up to date.

Do you know where your cabinet is?
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Wed 22-Feb-12 17:39:58
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Just walked two minutes (0.1 miles on google maps to Cressing Road from CM7 3QX) to my nearest cabinet, looked at it and it says 5 on both doors. Sounds like the one. I also noticed opposite this on the green embankment there's a new, bigger green box, guessing this is the new cabinet? (I remember seeing this put up a couple months ago, don't go down this road enough to see it finished!)

If so, I really have no clue why I can't get it, if the cabinet is up and I'm a 2 minute walk from it!

Edited by vettieboo (Wed 22-Feb-12 17:40:53)

Standard User mikecrawford80
(member) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:20:37
Print Post

From what I've read on these forums before, if the cabinet was only installed a couple of months ago it may not be live yet, there may be various reasons for delay, and also the Infinity checker may not have been updated yet with availability from your cabinet.

You just have to keep checking.

Plusnet Extra Fibre (with PRO add-on)
My Broadband Ping
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:25:01
Print Post

[re: mikecrawford80] [link to this post]

I don't know when the cabinet went up but surely they would have a better time estimate if the physical cabinet is now up an running? How much more work would have to be done!? I only ask because I'd obviously like to know if it's 'March' like they've said or 'Next June'!

Thanks for all the help though guys, helping to clear away all the confusion I've been getting! I was more worried I'd be one of those 'never going to get it' people.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Feb-12 18:32:35
Print Post

If you are on LLU, then the checkers aren't very accurate as they use post code and could be out of date. Suggest you tell BT that you want to order but are on llu and your post code is not linked to the correct cab.
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:45:36
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I'll be sure to give that a go, I was just unsure whether it'd be worth the time when I originally asked! I'll update it if I hear anything.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:47:00
Print Post

Does this checker have any info?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Wed 22-Feb-12 20:15:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Doesn't mention FTTC on it and my telephone number isn't recognised (LLU so not surprised).

Edit - Just spoken on BT webchat and they say it isn't available in my area and that I should just wait and see. Now I have no idea what to do. Should I bother calling them tomorrow?

Edited by vettieboo (Wed 22-Feb-12 21:13:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Feb-12 22:25:05
Print Post

Is the new cabinet on the embankment making a humming noise, from the cooling fans? That'll tell us whether it is powered up or not.

I'm afraid you have to get your ear down to the vents to hear it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 23-Feb-12 02:32:48
Print Post

Once the physical cab is there, it could go live within days, or 6 months. There may still be work to do on tie cables, power and fibre - any of which might already be done, or might be outstanding (and having problems).

3 months was a rule-of-thumb, but I have the impression that BT are reducing that a little now.

However, there is someone on here whose cabinet has been there for over a year, unpowered, IIRC.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-12 08:18:22
Print Post

... and if we are talking electrical equipment, always worth licking as well, just to ensure they have set it up correctly ! tongue

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Feb-12 09:19:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

All BT enginers are hereby classified as evil smile. You sure that "tongue" at the end of your post is insulated?

At least you didn't suggest "near the base".

Standard User Timalay
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 12:24:23
Print Post

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

Sorry to hijack this thread (kinda), but would you be able to find out if this postcode (CO10 1QB) is getting it's cabinet enabled in Sudbury, Suffolk.
Many thanks.
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Thu 23-Feb-12 12:52:37
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Your in luck.

All lines from that post code go to CAB 43 , and the cab is due to have FTTC.

Your exchange is SUDBURY, and due to go live end march.

So keep an eye on your cabinet, first signs are some paint on the floor close to the cab.
then, in about a day and a half a new FTTC green box will appear.

After that, the timescales, for Fibre pulling, power, and DSLAM install, are with the gods.

but at least you know its coming soon (ish).

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 13:13:22
Print Post

Hey, walked down and checked the box today, put my ear to the vents on the back of the box and heard a whirring noise, is that what you mean? There definitely was noise coming from it. Hope that means something!
Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Feb-12 13:34:19
Print Post

That means it has power and kit installed, so probably close to live or is live

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 13:38:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Then isn't it odd I've been told that it isn't due to come to my area anytime soon!? Oh well, guessing that I should just keep checking and hope for the best. So confusing!
Standard User Timalay
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-12 13:48:24
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

I know it may seem like a deft question but what about CO10 1PG?

The only reason i'm asking is because we may or may not be moving soon.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Thu 23-Feb-12 14:00:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Timalay:
I know it may seem like a deft question but what about CO10 1PG?

The only reason i'm asking is because we may or may not be moving soon.

That postcode will have FTTC 100% of the lines go to cab 5.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Thu 23-Feb-12 14:09:15
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Yep.. if its making a noise.. good news again.

won't be long.

Ignore BT's checking status. their databases are not the best...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 14:13:22
Print Post

By ignore the checker, should I just sit back and wait for a 'congratulations you have FTTC!' message or should I try calling up and asking them. Webchat seems to be leading nowhere, I get conflicting messages. I wonder if not being on a BT line is affecting it or not. Thanks again.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 23-Feb-12 16:17:29
Print Post

Why not just use a neighbours telephone number for the BT checker?

If it the same post code the answer will normally be the same unless the post code is only being partly FTTC which I think has already been discounted.
Standard User Sevenfour
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 21:45:09
Print Post

I know this is cheeky but I am receiving conflicting info regarding whether my cabinet will be enabled. My exchange goes live on 01/01/12 but no info yet on bt wholesale checker.
My postcode is RM166RH and the exchange is Chafford.
Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Feb-12 21:59:23
Print Post

[re: Sevenfour] [link to this post]

frown
Cabinet 10 or 12. Neither scheduled for FTTC in the December data which is still the latest so far as I know.

Standard User Sevenfour
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:11:14
Print Post

Oh dear, I seem to be destined for 2meg forever then. They seem to only be upgrading cabinets that are in the side of town next to the exchange who also get virgin media....our side gets 2meg...go figure!
Thanks smile
Standard User Timalay
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-12 09:03:31
Print Post

Do you know where the location to that cabinet is?
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-12 09:07:58
Print Post

http://g.co/maps/5mpjy is cab 5 I think

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 10:42:58
Print Post

Just an update, no fibre yet and no clue when. I would use the neighbours numbers but not that social on our road and no idea who would be LLU and who wouldn't.

the wholesale checker doesn't even list an estimated date for me and hasn't done since I started checking in February, so frustrating. Funny how my cabinet just sits there whirring away but I have no idea when or if I'll get to use it!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Mar-12 12:10:55
Print Post

So you do not know the surname of anyone on the same CAB? Local Chip Shop / Takeaway etc? Then you can use the on-line phone book to get the number.

Failing this the Land Registry will give you the owners name of the property (£2 charge?) and www.192.co.uk (other services are available) will give you some local names - mainly those who have not elected to be omitted from the edited version of the electoral register.

You can inspect the electoral register for free (normally at the local authority) but I am not sure whether you can see other peoples names.

Otherwise - anyone had any building work done? You can normally see the planning applications on line.

Multiple ways of finding neighbours names without speaking to them! (Could releive the postman of some of his load!).
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 12:40:03
Print Post

Looked at that 192.co.uk site and input businesses with my postcode. No number on there actually worked for 3QX, but I did find a snooker club with CM7 3QZ that did have a valid BT number. I think 3QZ is served by cab 5 and the number says this on the ADSL checker:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 10Mbps.

Is that good? Does it matter that the postcode isn't the same if the cabinet is the same?
Edit - may keep looking, google maps gives a different postcode!

Further Edit - Yes, checked a roofing contractor with 3QZ (other sites also saying 3QZ)

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 10Mbps.

So is this saying my telephone is basically screwing me over? My address checker says I can't get it on the BT site and wholesale checker so I don't know what's going on!

Finally, checked nursery across the road (3QZ) from me AND a carpet company down the road! (3QT) both checkers say FTTC available!. So no idea now!

Edited by vettieboo (Mon 05-Mar-12 13:04:56)

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:42:19
Print Post

As I few nice people have checked cabinets and I have no idea how to do that.....

I'm on the Crowborough exchange (NDCRO) with a postcode of TN6 1AZ.

Thanks for any information.

Steve
Standard User Justo
(regular) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:49:52
Print Post

Fibre is available to you, but the postcode is mis-linked in the database, your phone number would tell you it was available if it was on BT. What does your LLU provider's checker say for it?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:10:02
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

I'm on Sky, not sure that they actually have a fibre checker so I'm not able to check on it! In fact, if I use my current phone number in the checker it says it isn't compatible! Ha.

'You don't currently have an active compatible landline at your address so you need to take Sky Talk with Sky Line Rental to proceed with your order. '
Standard User Justo
(member) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:19:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by vettieboo:
I'm on Sky

Doh!!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:20:43
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

Haha yeah I know, causes so many problems but I need the broadband unlimited features!
Standard User TTEnt
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:21:56
Print Post

Are you using Postcode checker or Address Checker.
As if just using Postcode checker does not mention FTTC but if use Address Checker and put in House Number and Postcode does mention FTTC. Have checked with at least two houses on your postcode. So would assume all houses on that postcode are the same.
Your postcode covers the Odd Numbers from 77-135 inclusive

Have also found this with Other Postcodes including mine, if just check on Postcode does not mention FTTC if i do address checker and put in my House Name and postcode says that it will be available Dec 2012.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:29:32
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boxst:
As I few nice people have checked cabinets and I have no idea how to do that.....

I'm on the Crowborough exchange (NDCRO) with a postcode of TN6 1AZ.

Thanks for any information.

Steve

You're postcode is served by 2 cabinets, cabs 22 and 9. Cabinet 22 has 90% of the lines from the postcode and cab 9 has the remaining 10%. Both will be enabled in phase 8a and will have the FTTC upgrade.

http://g.co/maps/88rnx is cab 22

NDCRO CROWBOROUGH TN61AZ {NDCRO}{P22} 0 90% 3.55 8a Yes FTTC

NDCRO CROWBOROUGH TN61AZ {NDCRO}{P9} 0 10% 3.97 8a Yes FTTC

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:38:18
Print Post

[re: TTEnt] [link to this post]

I've used both, no mention of a date on either check:

'For Address 123 CHAPEL HILL, BRAINTREE, CM7 3QX on Exchange BRAINTREE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 4Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 7Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 5.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 3Mbps and 8Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.'
Standard User Timalay
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:38:33
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Sorry I meant for the first postcode I posted (CO10 1QB).
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:49:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by ccxo:
You're postcode is served by 2 cabinets, cabs 22 and 9. Cabinet 22 has 90% of the lines from the postcode and cab 9 has the remaining 10%. Both will be enabled in phase 8a and will have the FTTC upgrade.

http://g.co/maps/88rnx is cab 22

NDCRO CROWBOROUGH TN61AZ {NDCRO}{P22} 0 90% 3.55 8a Yes FTTC

NDCRO CROWBOROUGH TN61AZ {NDCRO}{P9} 0 10% 3.97 8a Yes FTTC

Thank you for the information. Mine is the 10% one it seems. Here is the link to my house with the cabinet in view: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.054745,0.15435&ll=5...

Great they are both going to be upgraded, what does phase 8a mean?
Standard User ccxo
(member) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:55:46
Print Post

Hi that cab you have linked shows as number 5 on google street maps, only way to confirm is for you to check the number in person.

As for the location of cab 9, ile have a further look and see if i can find it.

Phase 8a, is how OR plan out the cabinets they set out to enable in each phase, it usually goes with a certain live date for a exchange as the majority of cabs will go live. There are no set dates for the phases as different areas can be enabled faster then others, espeically if their are no blocked ducts or power issues.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User TTEnt
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 14:57:49
Print Post

Very strange, seems to show ok for 77-109 ot at least ones i've checked, and then doesn't work but 133 and 135 do. So unless some peculiarity with how 111-131 are cabled, or a complete mess up with BT Database don't know then
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 15:12:55
Print Post

[re: TTEnt] [link to this post]

Checked it myself and that does seem the case. Odd considering the 3QZ postcodes (I think those are the even houses on the opposite side of the road) have availability too! Either there's something wrong with that one part of the road or if it's just a database thing. I guess it may be time to give BT a call. Problem is I wanted to go with Sky (when they get around to releasing FTTC) but I'm now worried that there's going to be a problem with doing that. Gah.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Mar-12 19:31:08
Print Post

Thank you for the information. The cabinet in the picture is cabinet 9 as I just walked past it, wondered how you know the cabinet number and then saw a huge stenciled white number in the corner!

Steve
Standard User ccxo
(member) Mon 05-Mar-12 20:57:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by boxst:
Thank you for the information. The cabinet in the picture is cabinet 9 as I just walked past it, wondered how you know the cabinet number and then saw a huge stenciled white number in the corner!

Steve

Well should be no problems with getting 40/10 once you're cab is upgraded.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Timalay
(committed) Tue 06-Mar-12 09:56:20
Print Post

Anybody?
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Tue 06-Mar-12 14:03:06
Print Post

You're served by 1 cabinet on postcode CO101QB:

EASUD SUDBURY; SUFFOLK CO101QB {EASUD}-{P43} 0 100% 4.42 8a Yes FTTC
So you're on cab 43, 100% of your postcode is and you're getting FFTC in phase 8a.

And no, I have no idea where your cab may be, try having a look around the neighborhood for a cab with 43 marked in white on the doors! Been scouting around your postcode and I can't even see a cabinet so can't really help there.

Edited by vettieboo (Tue 06-Mar-12 14:13:49)

Standard User roboraver
(newbie) Tue 06-Mar-12 16:15:11
Print Post

OK sorry to be a pain but I am starting to go mad now !! my wife is really concerned as for the last 2 weeks since getting my install date I have been looking / walking / cycling around for my Cab and I can't find it !!

My postcode is SE26 5TN and our estate is supposedly up and running (26 down 5 up) and our local exchange is Sydenham LSSYD.

I was able to check the DEC "leaked" database and it mentioned the p17 or p7 serves my line so I have been going for walk abouts after getting home from work, with a torch and I was able to find p17 here: http://g.co/maps/g8uhg

But I CANNOT find the p7 anywhere around with in a 1k ! I have found nearly every Virgin/CW/BT green boxes with various different CAB numbers but I can't find p7 !

Does the actual fibre follow a path ? this is the actual exchange: http://g.co/maps/as3ja

does anyone have a rough idea where the p7 could be ? before I become insane !!
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Tue 06-Mar-12 16:56:07
Print Post

Another update. Decided to call BT and get an answer as to why it's available to some of my road but not others. After a lengthy discussion I have been told that the lines are currently in the process of being enabled and that no one can order on my cabinet EVEN THOUGH the checker says they can. I obviously checked one such address and this appears to be true.

So, does this mean that I don't have to wait much longer? Seems odd some of the road can get a 'yes' on the checker while about ten numbers (including mine!) can't get anything, but I'm hoping that's just an issue that will be solved once it's all enabled.

Does 'in the process of being enabled' signal good news? I do hope so!

Edited by vettieboo (Tue 06-Mar-12 16:56:59)

Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Mar-12 17:40:32
Print Post

[re: roboraver] [link to this post]

Your property is served by cabinet 17 (NOT 7) which went live on 22nd December 2011.

Cab 7 serves properties around the station. http://g.co/maps/tpqdn - so forget about that as it doesn't serve your property smile

BT are giving your the runaround. We can take your order for FTTC straight away.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Tue 06-Mar-12 17:41:11)

Standard User ccxo
(member) Tue 06-Mar-12 17:58:48
Print Post

If you have you're install date just wait till the engineer arrives and ask then where the cab is

Edit- asdl posted before me.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Tue 06-Mar-12 17:59:39)

Standard User roboraver
(newbie) Wed 07-Mar-12 10:14:12
Print Post

Thank you both !!

Have already ordered with BT and have a install date, so hopefully being 943 meters from the Cabinent will mean I should get a good line speed (BT Wholesale says 26 D 5 U)
Standard User ccxo
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 00:42:11
Print Post

The checker usual under estimates for FTTC so a faster speed is possible.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Mar-12 02:29:18
Print Post

Just wondered if anyone could check if my cabinet will be going live. I am on the Lowestoft exchange and have an RFS date of June 2012. I am a long way from the exchange though so I doubt they'll bother with it!

Postcode is NR32 4XF

Thanks smile
Standard User bladerider666
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 02:40:45
Print Post

Hi everyone, i also have query....I am on the great oakley exchange EMGRETO, which i believe is getting fttc in june 2012, will my cabinet be upgraded ? i cant find out anything....

current download adsl 4.7mbps
current download adsl 0.78mbps

Thankyou smile

my postcode is nn188rr

Edited by bladerider666 (Thu 08-Mar-12 09:37:43)

Standard User Moradin
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-12 07:54:54
Print Post

[re: bladerider666] [link to this post]

@bladerider666

put your post code into the link above my signature.

use the drop downs to select postcode, then put it in, without the space

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Moradin (Thu 08-Mar-12 07:55:24)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Mar-12 08:54:40
Print Post

Braintree 5 now live cab just done posctoce checker through www.bt.com - seems to very good speed
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 09:13:45
Print Post

Except I still can't get it, says not available in my area for 123. Fantastic. Have no clue what to do now, since I have nothing to wait for!
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 10:16:24
Print Post

i cant get it to work lol
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 10:19:13
Print Post

EMGRETO GREAT OAKLEY NN188RR {EMGRETO}{P11} 0 100% 7.93 8a Yes FTTC

There you go, 100% of your postcode is connected to cabinet 11, you will be upgraded to FTTC and this will happen in phase 8a (in theory)
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 10:26:27
Print Post

brilliant thanks for that, i was just curious as a friend of mine lives a few streets away and when we did a bt broadband speed test it came up that he could get infinity from june (when the fttc is to be done) however when i did it i had no such offer of infinity which made me think will i get fibre?

Thankyou smile
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 10:31:06
Print Post

No worries, I just hope you aren't having the problems I'm currently having! I'm trying to get access to FTTC, exchange up since 2010!

Part of my postcode can get this, cabinet it up and running, yet a few houses that include mine apparently can't. Interesting.

Edit - another web chat, another dead end. I was told that I am connected to another part of the exchange to the people who can get it on my road, so that's why I can't get it. How can I be on a different part of an exchange to people on the same postcode and cabinet! Who knows.

Edited by vettieboo (Thu 08-Mar-12 10:34:29)

(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 10:40:41
Print Post

That just sounds weird, but who knows what wiring has been done underground, my point being that i live (as the crow flies) closer to my exchange than my buddy and hw gets faster broadband than me. i get 4.7meg (logged into router) he getts 11meg. Am on sky unlimited and in a new build he is not.......nuts...lol
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Mar-12 11:34:16
Print Post

"New Build" is your answer. When new houses are put up, BTO don't usually run new ducts to the exchange, they'll likely piggyback on the nearest available PCP with sufficient capacity which can mean your cables going ion a less than obviousl route back to the exchange - even heading away a significant distance.
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 11:40:10
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

I would love to know if the info I was told by the web chat was accurate or if they're trying to fob me off.

'I was told that I am connected to another part of the exchange to the people who can get it on my road, so that's why I can't get it. How can I be on a different part of an exchange to people on the same postcode and cabinet! Who knows. ' - does that sound plausible? Anyone know? Heh.
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Mar-12 11:51:43
Print Post

How do you know you're on the same cabinet?

If it's a new build it's plausible that a line (or lines) was installed for the building site as a one off. Once the build was finished, ducting and maybe even a separate cabinet would be installed for the new houses. The "old" line would still exist and be repurpoused, possibly as yours.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Mar-12 12:20:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by ionic:
How do you know you're on the same cabinet?

If it's a new build it's plausible that a line (or lines) was installed for the building site as a one off. Once the build was finished, ducting and maybe even a separate cabinet would be installed for the new houses. The "old" line would still exist and be repurpoused, possibly as yours.
Also it's entirely possible that some lines are not connected to the cabinet, but direct to the exchange, hence no FTTC.
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 12:20:28
Print Post

Well looking at the PCP data 100% of my postcode of CM7 3QX is on cabinet 5, there are no new builds in my area (house has been here since 1930's) so not sure where a new build would apply. Not sure what else I can say on that!

EABNT BRAINTREE CM73QX {EABNT}{P5} 0 100% 5.97 4a Yes FTTC

Edited by vettieboo (Thu 08-Mar-12 12:22:07)

Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 14:51:06
Print Post

Hate to double post, but after a call to BT and the same response as web chat I think there's literally nothing else to be done. We have a live cabinet, live exchange, houses in our postcode can even order it, but apparently we're special and on a different part of the exchange to everyone else. Therefore I now have absolutely no prediction on when and if I'll get FTTC. Yay.Only guess is that the PCP data is wrong and not 100% of CM7 3QX is attached to cab 5, or even the exchange it says we're on. Just so frustrated now.
Standard User rackellar
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-12 16:18:00
Print Post

Sorry to post again. I have looked on the PCP spreadsheet but my postcode is not listed at all (NR324XF) however my neighoburing road on which the cabinet I (Think) I am connected to is located (NR324TY) is listed as being enabled.

Any ideas?
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-12 16:54:18
Print Post

[re: rackellar] [link to this post]

Means in the near future you won't be getting fttc

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User rackellar
(regular) Fri 09-Mar-12 01:38:10
Print Post

I am totally confused.

I am a good 6km from the exchange and the cabinet at the end of my road looks set to be upgraded according to the PCP DB. The cabinet is Here located at postcode NR32 4TY. The checker shows around 70% of this road will be enabled and 100% to the first two roads that branch off (NR32 4UW and NR32 4TQ) However the 3rd road that branches off (My road NR32 4XF) doesn't even show up in the database at all. How can I find out which cabinet I'm connected to? Or even if i'm (unlikely) connected directly to the exchange frown.
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 01:47:46
Print Post

cabinet 11? i will need to have a walk around for it so i know where it is lol...when is phase 8a due for completion? (sorry for being a pain)

Thankyou
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Mar-12 12:22:58
Print Post

[re: rackellar] [link to this post]

EALOW LOWESTOFT NR324XF {EALOW}{P98} 0 100%
The rest of the line is blank, which means not currently scheduled. But not ruled out either.

All the lines for that cabinet (98) are blank, including NR32 4TY. TQ and UW are on cab 59.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 09-Mar-12 12:24:17)

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 09-Mar-12 17:17:11
Print Post

Its hard to say when the phases are completed as their are only rough dates which get moved about alot in each area due to delays etc, this is some rough estimations.

Looking at you're local area, BURTON LATIMER is 7b and is live in March, Corby is also 7b and is ment to be live in June but DESBOROUGH is phase 8a and is also ment to live in June.

KETTERING is phase 8b but is only put as 2012 date, no specific month from the Openreach postcode checker (where all the dates have come from).

If 7a to 8a go from March to June, its a 3 month gap so could say that 8b will be between July to September if their are no delays.

http://g.co/maps/nqqek

This may be cab 11.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Fri 09-Mar-12 17:19:51)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Mar-12 20:38:05
Print Post

Thank you for your help. At least I now know it may be considered in the future.
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 01:06:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Its hard to say when the phases are completed as their are only rough dates which get moved about alot in each area due to delays etc, this is some rough estimations.

Looking at you're local area, BURTON LATIMER is 7b and is live in March, Corby is also 7b and is ment to be live in June but DESBOROUGH is phase 8a and is also ment to live in June.

KETTERING is phase 8b but is only put as 2012 date, no specific month from the Openreach postcode checker (where all the dates have come from).

If 7a to 8a go from March to June, its a 3 month gap so could say that 8b will be between July to September if their are no delays.

http://g.co/maps/nqqek

This may be cab 11.

seems quite far from my house i might try google maps see if i can find it, but thanks anyway smile

edit: i have found cabinet 11 it is roughly 150 metres from my house as the crow flies however i have no idea how long the line is to the cabinet, i do know i am 6km from the exchange.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by bladerider666 (Sat 10-Mar-12 10:53:20)

Standard User neilll
(learned) Tue 13-Mar-12 16:48:18
Print Post

Could someone please answer me this...?

Do all PCP's need to get a FTTC DSLAM cabinet next to them?

I'm in Corby and I've seen several shiny new fibre DSLAM cabs going up in the surrounding streets but my street still has the lame old PCP that's been there decades.

I know Corby is still 'in progress' (date keeps going back!!!), just wondered what happens if my PCP never gets a fibre cab next to it?

Regards,
Neill

ZeN Pro 8000 (21CN/WBMC)
Check Point [email protected] UTM
Exchange - Corby (EMCRRBY)
BRAS: ADSL 12000
Standard User Ribble
(member) Tue 13-Mar-12 17:46:57
Print Post

[re: neilll] [link to this post]

Those connected to a given copper cabinet need to have a new DSLAM cabinet to get FTTC services. There was a presentation very early on that showed alternative solutions. A combined DSLAM/PCP in a new shell and top box mounted on top of the existing copper cabinet but not aware of any cases where these have been deployed.
Standard User neilll
(learned) Tue 13-Mar-12 17:52:21
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Those connected to a given copper cabinet need to have a new DSLAM cabinet to get FTTC services. There was a presentation very early on that showed alternative solutions. A combined DSLAM/PCP in a new shell and top box mounted on top of the existing copper cabinet but not aware of any cases where these have been deployed.

So basically all the PCP's should end up with a new DSLAM cab next to them then?

Regards,
Neill

ZeN Pro 8000 (21CN/WBMC)
Sync Rate: 13528
Standard User Ribble
(member) Tue 13-Mar-12 18:00:06
Print Post

All those that are planned to be upgraded will , at present
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-12 18:02:31
Print Post

Not always - sometimes you might route to a DSLAM which isn't next to your nearest PCP..

Eventually I think we'll see pretty much all the PCP's dying off in favour of DSLAM cabs once FTTP comes into play.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 13-Mar-12 19:30:40
Print Post

Has anyone checked your postcode for you Neill, against the December deployment spreadsheet?

Standard User neilll
(learned) Tue 13-Mar-12 20:31:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Has anyone checked your postcode for you Neill, against the December deployment spreadsheet?

Nope....its NN18 0RT, could you look for me?

pretty sure it will be included as there are new DSLAM cabs going up all round town....just not in my street!

Regards,
Neill

ZeN Pro 8000 (21CN/WBMC)
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Mar-12 21:02:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by neilll:
pretty sure it will be included as there are new DSLAM cabs going up all round town....just not in my street!

My town had FTTC cabs first appearing in Sept 2010. Its now March 2012 and my street still has no FTTC but all the surrounding streets do.

Its a complex process of planning permission, power, and ground works :-/

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-12 21:03:54
Print Post

Good news though, i fear. Corby exchange has started to accept orders as well...

EMCRRBY CORBY NN180RT {EMCRRBY}{P19} 0 31% 4.1 7b Yes FTTC
EMCRRBY CORBY NN180RT {EMCRRBY}{P7} 0 68% 3.57 7b Yes FTTC

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User neilll
(learned) Wed 14-Mar-12 08:50:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
My town had FTTC cabs first appearing in Sept 2010. Its now March 2012 and my street still has no FTTC but all the surrounding streets do.

Judging by your sig though you still managed to get a fibre service, as long as they can route me to the cab in the next street I'll be happy!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Regards,
Neill

ZeN Pro 8000 (21CN/WBMC)
Standard User vettieboo
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 11:08:40
Print Post

Accepting orders at the exchange doesn't seem to mean much to anything. I have the unfortunate problem of having a complete cabinet that is taking orders but I am one of ten houses that can't get it. So can't really say that accepting orders means much if BT's computer says no.

the PCP data says were on an exchange and cabinet that are complete, but BT say we're on another part of the exchange. Nothing they or we can do. My last hope is sky will look into it when they get FTTC.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:59:26
Print Post

When BT say you are on another part of the exchange, have they said which part you are on?

What do other isp's that offer FTTC say about getting your line being able to get FTTC?

Wonder if it would be worth contacting the top of BT/OR as things do happen for people in the past.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Wed 14-Mar-12 16:29:59
Print Post

They don't say what part, just that I'm not on the one everyone else is. As Braintree exchange is...really the only exchange even in the area this would be strange even to me. I don't claim to be 100% perfect in my assessment but even the checker is saying I'm on the Braintree exchange.

Other ISPs say no, but then that isn't a big surprise. I don't get a date estimate with anyone either, I'm apparently a FTTC black hole haha.

I've sent an email to the top, they state I may be on a split on a cabinet, however I did think that I was on cabinet 5 with everyone else on my postcode *shrug*. I'm hoping they'll find an error when they check over it.

Just doesn't really make sense that I can't get it!
Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Fri 16-Mar-12 17:05:51
Print Post

Another update, again going around in circles.

Gone higher up the BT chain and asked, they responded with this:

Iíve been advised that although your cabinet is fibre enabled, your line currently is unable to support a faster broadband service. The information below is taken from www.bt.com'

The info they gave it a cut and paste of the checker, which I knew already.

They then suggest registering my interest, which isn't exactly useful if only 10 houses down my road can't get it!
I've asked for why my line isn't suitable, surely if it was just my line they could fix it?!

Edit - response says its likely that my line is too far from the cabinet. This is unlikely, as I can almost see the cabinet from my house (less than a minute away) and the houses further down the road from the cabinet ARE able to get it. I just don't think they know. Which isn't helpful for me.

Edited by vettieboo (Fri 16-Mar-12 17:17:40)

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 16-Mar-12 20:30:00
Print Post

Keep pressing higher up in the chain with BT, you will likely find a result to your problem.

Could use local or national news etc to show your problem and frustration with BT, any media spoltlight generally produces a quick response to solve it.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Fri 16-Mar-12 20:31:17)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Mar-12 20:49:45
Print Post

it sounds like you are NOT on the cab you can see - and there are therefore eiher on a cab that is not part of commerical roll out or an a cab that is deployed and you are too far away from it
Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Fri 16-Mar-12 21:57:08
Print Post

Well considering they already confirmed that the cabinet I am attached to is active then only the second thing could be true, but It would seem unlikely given that roads up and down (and across the road from me) can all get this, yet 10 houses in the centre cannot get it. Numbers 109 and 133 (both on my postcode) can get this service. The PCP checker says 100% of my postcode is attached to cabinet 5, which is the number painted on each door of the box nearest us ( the old one, the new one is near it).

I'm currently emailing the head of complaints after an email to the CEO, I don't know how much higher up I could go! I don't want to have to threaten the media, not until they have given me a clear reason why I cannot get this. It just seems like a quick call/message to Openreach could verify things. Obviously I can't do that myself though!
(newbie) Sat 17-Mar-12 13:45:00
Print Post

i spoke to sky yesterday as my router is now dead, asked about fttc and they told me it should be enabled in 3wks time happy days

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Mon 19-Mar-12 12:18:42
Print Post

I'm probably bordering on annoying them, but decided to press on and try and reach the root of the problem with another email. They got back to me this morning, stating that Openreach have confirmed that although our cabinet is enabled (yes, so whatever cabinet we are on is active) the actual routing of our line says that we can only get 3-8MB. BT also said Openreach are looking into the information I've posted regarding the surrounding properties and they'll get back to me tomorrow (hopefully with something more positive).

I'm now going to hope that the saga will be over soon, but Openreach saying that I can't get it is a little bit upsetting, considering houses either side of my own can. Not quite sure what to make of this all now.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Mon 19-Mar-12 13:04:42
Print Post

Well its good to hear that progress is being made, hopefully a good result.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Moradin
(member) Mon 19-Mar-12 13:04:49
Print Post

I would get them to put a brand new line in.

would cost £120 for new copper, and a 18 month/2 year contract.. but hell i would do it.. (then cancel the first line)

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Mon 19-Mar-12 13:25:34
Print Post

Could they even do that? They haven't mentioned they could put a new line in, so I would presume that they couldn't. I was hoping to go to Sky fibre if this could all be resolved (in April, so not too far away), but it's seeming less likely this is going to happen. I'll be sure to update on what they tell me tomorrow, it's just all so frustrating.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-Mar-12 14:10:18
Print Post

The normal way of connecting a second line is by using another pair in the existing cabling. So that might not solve anything.

Someone said on here the other day that you can order a second complete line in to the premises. If you could do that, you may stand a chance, but I'd be quite worried.

Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Mon 19-Mar-12 14:29:05
Print Post

Guess it's another option if the news I get tomorrow isn't good. I still would prefer that they can give my old line FTTC obviously!
Standard User Moradin
(member) Mon 19-Mar-12 17:48:40
Print Post

Someone said on here the other day that you can order a second complete line in to the premises. If you could do that, you may stand a chance, but I'd be quite worried.

Robertos.. was me.. smile

because i have done exactly that. they initially wanted to use the pair in the existing for the 2nd line. but i made them put in new copper from a different pole at the front of the house.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 18:05:49
Print Post

Hello again, thought I'd update.

Received a reply today, wanting to call me, asked what that was about but got impatient and looked at the checker (as I do daily). I couldn't believe it, it says we can get fibre! I made sure to check the BT infinity website, this also said we could. Plusnet and Talktalk say yes too, so I'm guessing Openreach found out what was wrong and corrected it.

I then received an email from BT saying that 'Openreach have found a work around ' whatever that means. I am not too bothered, just happy that I can now order when I wish! I'm guessing the problem was on their end after all.

'Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40 Mbps and upstream line speed of 10 Mbps.'

Strangely...the other houses that couldn't get fibre down our road STILL can't...but I don't want to really push the issue as now I can, so that's good enough for me.

Edited by vettieboo (Tue 20-Mar-12 18:21:16)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Mar-12 19:41:44
Print Post

Result! smile

Well done.

Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 19:51:42
Print Post

Was beginning to doubt myself it took so much effort, but hey ho it all worked out in the end! Just takes a lot of pressure to make it work. Hope this helps anyone else who is certain they are in a 'FTTC black hole' as I had come to call it.
Standard User Timalay
(committed) Sat 07-Apr-12 17:41:27
Print Post

Think I may have found it (tucked behind the hedge of all places) when I went up to the new house today.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Apr-12 18:40:46
Print Post

Just been checking the Decemeber PCP document. Stowmarket (EASTM) appears to be missing. Anyone got any ideas?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:07:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Just been checking the Decemeber PCP document. Stowmarket (EASTM) appears to be missing. Anyone got any ideas?
You must only have looked at Part 1. It's in Part 2.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Thu 12-Apr-12 10:10:57
Print Post

Hey guys, I'm back again. Just went to check the checker and lo and behold, can't get fibre again. Guess I'm going to have to continue to play the "email the people" game. I don't see them uninstalling my cabinet so hopefully less hassle fixing it this time. Bleh.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-12 11:33:29
Print Post

Openreach are not so confident now, I wrote to them and received the below. Not definite but this is all they will say.

"Inevitably on a project of this scale there will be local engineering issues to be resolved as the work progresses. I would like to bring to your attention that under the fibre rollout project all cabinets must meet a business cost to be deemed financially viable. Whilst originally this cabinet (9) met the criteria it is possible that in the event of the cabinet deployment hitting major issues it could be removed from the programme as a high cost cab."
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to