General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 14:13:48
Print Post

Re: SLOW SPEED ON XP PC BUT FULL SPEED ON W7 PC

[re: dieselglider] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dieselglider:
Try disabling your Anti-virus protection while doing a speed test.

Disabling anit-virus and firewall had no effect on speedtest
Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 14:19:23
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
In reply to a post by Tipper2772:
Been trawling the web most of the night trying to figure it out frown Would an older network card "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC" be compatable with fiber speeds - I can't seem to find much info about it??? Anyone?)

Should be fine. That's a 10/100Mbps interface card.

Take a look at the LEDs available on it - if it has one marked 100M then make sure it becomes lit on plugging in the cable (otherwise it is handshaking at 10Mbps).

If you have problems with it, it may be worth tracking down an updated driver. Shouldn't be necessary though.

Only available leds are on the back next to the plug one green and one yellow with no markings - green lights up when I insert the ethernet plug and yellow flashes when i'm d/loading. I am reaching speeds over 10mbps sometimes.... 16mbps max

I am considering updating the driver - would it really make a difference though?
Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 14:23:57
Print Post

[re: Tipper2772] [link to this post]

A friend of mine suggested it may be caused by the router - I cant find settings that would account for this though ( and wouldn't that affect the other pc i connected too? (windows 7 pc connected to the router with the same ethernet cable gave speeds of 33mbps)

Edited by Tipper2772 (Fri 24-Feb-12 14:24:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 24-Feb-12 14:45:50
Print Post

Check that the network card is set for FULL duplex, and review any other settings it may have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 24-Feb-12 14:58:29
Print Post

The router does not know or care what is on the end ... there is a data stream across an Ethernet connection and provided the two ports talk to each other, OS is irrelevant..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 15:33:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Check that the network card is set for FULL duplex, and review any other settings it may have.

Linkspeed/duplex was set to "auto negotiation", I changed this to "100mbps full duplex",
I also noticed a setting "Optimal performance" which was set to disabled - I also enabled this setting and rebooted my pc..... No change in the speed of my connection frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Feb-12 15:51:04
Print Post

Time the time taken to transfer a large 300MB file across the local LAN, if that is close to 60 Meg or faster, then the network card is fine.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dieselglider
(experienced) Fri 24-Feb-12 15:57:17
Print Post

Not sure if it was on here, or on the BT care forums, but somebody was getting differing speeds depending on which ethernet port on the HH3 they used, unlikely as it may sound.

BTInfinity
Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 16:00:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Time the time taken to transfer a large 300MB file across the local LAN, if that is close to 60 Meg or faster, then the network card is fine.

I don't think I can do this test at the min.. I only have one pc connected to the lan by ethernet and no spare cable...
Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 16:05:51
Print Post

[re: dieselglider] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dieselglider:
Not sure if it was on here, or on the BT care forums, but somebody was getting differing speeds depending on which ethernet port on the HH3 they used, unlikely as it may sound.

I used the same ethernet port on the router to connect the w7 pc which gave 30mbps+speeds...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to