General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 24-Feb-12 16:53:43
Print Post

Re: SLOW SPEED ON XP PC BUT FULL SPEED ON W7 PC

[re: Tipper2772] [link to this post]

What about copy from one PC (XP) using cable, via the hub, then wireless to the other PC (Win7)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-12 17:56:37
Print Post

Yes, my crusty old XP machine (now sadly no longer with us) would never show more than 16 meg on a through out speed test, absolutely fine using a hard wired Win7 machine. I suspect that the dear old thing just wasn't up to the job. It used to do everything else dog-slow as well.

If you wanted to throw some money at it, you could splash out on some more RAM, that would be a start.

Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 19:23:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
What about copy from one PC (XP) using cable, via the hub, then wireless to the other PC (Win7)?
[/quote

ok... just did this through the workgroup and got speeds of 4.8MB/s which is 38mbps, I'm guessing that means the nic card is ok? Hmmmm....

What else??

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 19:27:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Yes, my crusty old XP machine (now sadly no longer with us) would never show more than 16 meg on a through out speed test, absolutely fine using a hard wired Win7 machine. I suspect that the dear old thing just wasn't up to the job. It used to do everything else dog-slow as well.

If you wanted to throw some money at it, you could splash out on some more RAM, that would be a start.

I'm starting to think you are right, But what actually causes it? I have 4gb of ram in this pc (although it can only use 3 I think) It pretty usable, not that slow at all otherwise.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-12 19:30:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tipper2772:
I'm starting to think you are right, But what actually causes it? I have 4gb of ram in this pc (although it can only use 3 I think) It pretty usable, not that slow at all otherwise.

What specification is the XP machine? How is the network port connected? Is it on the motherboard or a card? If a card, what type of connector? How old is the machine? What is the CPU ?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Tipper2772
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 14:30:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Tipper2772:

What specification is the XP machine? How is the network port connected? Is it on the motherboard or a card? If a card, what type of connector? How old is the machine? What is the CPU ?

Packard Bell NEC Packard Bell Computer PB34225401

Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
3.05 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded

Board: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL GA-8I915PMD
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 10g 11/25/2005

3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

The network card seems to be part of the motherboard
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
I'm not sure what you mean by the connector.. it just seems to be a small plastic black box thats attached to the motherboard - the socket protrudes out the back of the pc from this.

Pretty old pc - never had any problems with it up to now.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Sat 25-Feb-12 14:45:32
Print Post

Maybe fire up Task Manager or System Monitor and see if anything starts hogging CPU or memory when carrying out a large download.

Beyond that it's into the realms of checking for network errors, retransmissions, collisions etc.

Some MS guidance on that approach here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/win...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148942/EN-US

Definitely a strange one.
Standard User gazter
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 15:59:14
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

to rule out an OS issue, try booting up from a HBCD, hiren boot disk, or a linux ubunto and do a speed test from there.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Feb-12 16:10:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Yes, my crusty old XP machine (now sadly no longer with us) would never show more than 16 meg on a through out speed test,
My XP does speedtest faster than !6 Meg. Not much faster, admittedly, but sufficient; that's cuz I'm limited by my ADSL2+ copper line, but not by XP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-12 21:14:51
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

OK, but I was just empathizing with the OP, as have seen exactly the same symptoms with my kit.
Coincidence then that he happens to have a very old PC also, which also runs XP like mine did.

My machine would happily show 'accurate' tests when I was on G.DMT.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to