General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jul-12 09:42:03
Print Post

Re: Fibre on our Estate

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

The issue is that TPON cabs generally support a lower number of users so when OR apply their cost criteria for FTTC it doesn't cost in.

I know of one TPON cab locally where the local residents are funding the FTTC installation.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 06-Jul-12 09:48:20
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

Not around here they dont, as we have 2 feeding our bit, there is a group of 4 just up the road, and another group of 4 in the other estate, at a rough guess I'd say they have missed at least > 800+ houses, and these are mostly 4+ bedroom houses with people with the money to pay for these services, well I would anyway!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Jul-12 09:49:50
Print Post

Openreach standard FTTC cab supports 288 lines, which factoring 50% takeup, means they want around 600 lines per cabinet to make it economic.

So at 8 cabs covering 800 houses, looks low density to BT.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 06-Jul-12 10:00:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I understand your logic, but just doesnt make sense as a reason around here, your original reason ie slight difference from the norm so ignored is the likely reason. Example being is a much newer estate that has far less houses than mine but in the post overlay days had a proper copper cab installed had its fibre chum installed.
Would they not just have one fibre cab for say both ex-tpon cabs, as they are about 10cm apart.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Fri 06-Jul-12 10:02:02
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

TPON has two splitters on the fibre, the last gives the Copper feed, I think the first is an 8 way fibre splitter, the last is a 32 way splitter to copper so the 'cabinets' are very small. Zarjaz or another Openreach member may be able to say where one is to obtain a picture.

However this is all irrelevant as when the fibre was bypassed to enable ADSL broadband it was usually direct from the exchange so there is no copper cab.

The good news it the Fibre is already to the 'close' (group of 24-30 houses) and therefore FTTP will be 'easy'. The TPON splitter can be replaced with a FTTP splitter and the whole close given FTTP especially if the premesis were correctly ducted.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Jul-12 15:34:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
I understand your logic, but just doesnt make sense as a reason around here,
Economics 101. A low number of lines per cab makes it very difficult to ensure a realistic return on investment. Remember that BT are installing FTTC, at present, using their own funds and need to be able to justify their investment to their shareholders. Each FTTC cab costs many thousands of pounds so BT need a lot of connections to the cab for them to stand a chance of recovering their costs. As others have already said, keep your fingers crossed for FTTP as in your case that should be easier and quite possibly cheaper per customer to install.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Jul-12 15:38:08
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Replacing TPON splitter would require those premises not on the copper overlay for the phone to have copper installed all the way back to the exchange.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Fri 06-Jul-12 16:30:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew
I think that all the TPON has already been replaced by copper, I thought I saw on here some years back a program to provide copper at all TPON sites and BT provided enough to remove the TPON completely.

The copper was provided directly from the exchange as this made the losses less as many TPON sites were a long way from the exchange..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to