General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User madnutter56
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 20:15:30
Print Post

Re: Fibre Availability Checker *DELETED*

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
where does the line length come from?

Here smile
Standard User andrewdb
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-12 20:31:53
Print Post

Re: Fibre Availability Checker

[re: madnutter56] [link to this post]

nevermind...seeing as your gonna go ahead anyway...

I'd make the phone number optional (stick the postcode only in that checker and it still gives a result but with less info).I've sometimes used numbers that aren't mine to get around it! A local hairdressers is 1-digit different to us so we get a ton of wrong numbers and inadvertently sometimes a typo creeps in to broadband checkers wink Wonder how many calls they've had from talktalk now haha!

Whether the website whose checker your using will continue to allow a ton of requests from your website remains to be seen. If they throw a captcha in your screwed though.

Edited by andrewdb (Mon 05-Mar-12 20:32:40)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-12 20:44:12
Print Post

Re: Fibre Availability Checker *DELETED*

bookmarked smile

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Sky Netgear DG934G

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User madnutter56
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 21:02:58
Print Post

[re: andrewdb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andrewdb:
nevermind...seeing as your gonna go ahead anyway...

To be honest I'm swinging in the direction of leaving it as I can only see this ending with a takedown notice from BT.

In reply to a post by andrewdb:
I'd make the phone number optional (stick the postcode only in that checker and it still gives a result but with less info).

The way I've set the Database up for performance is that each exchange has it's own table, and this is named by the name of the exchange. I get the name from the be checker or the BTw one if the be one returns no value, and then look up that postcode in the correct table.

I could just dump it all in one table but I suspect there would be performance hits from that.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Mar-12 21:12:52
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

actually it is commercial informaiton -- it also contaiins commercially sensitive unpublished public domain informaion -- that spreadhseet was not leadked it was inentionionally obtained

I wonder if those who are so keen to have it would have been pelased if that had been your addresses or back details or you employment persoonel records
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Mon 05-Mar-12 21:43:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

contaiins commercially sensitive unpublished public domain informaion

Have you any idea how dumb that statement is?

The information isn't sensitive at all. To WHOM do you think the information is commercially sensitive?

Virgin? BT's main competition? - they have this information , and lots more already.

The location of cabinets in the street is NOT owned by anyone, its the same as ''where are all the lamposts'', '' where are exchanges located''' ie: public domain.

The only information which could be argued IS British Telecoms, is the information on which cabinet is connected to which house. While that information isn't in general public hands, its easily easily obtainable by anyone that wanted it.

Even if BT asked for it to be taken down, this is the internet bud, do you not think another version would not spring up linked from somewhere on the internet where BT have no say?

This is 2011, and this is the internet. once its leaked, its leaked for good.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Mar-12 21:50:37
Print Post

it was noted by the business when and how it was obtained and by whom

FYI it does contain some information nut publised formllay

PS it also only a shap shot and not a complete definitive of deployment
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-12 21:51:00
Print Post

Because they monitor this forum and know how the data has been leaked wink Plus how else would you be able to obtain the cab to which every UK postcode is attached to without having access to that document.

The copyright is in relation to the postcode -> cab link, not the location of the cabs themselves.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Mar-12 00:36:41
Print Post

Great idea

Exchange: Hereford

Recorded Line Length (from exchange): 3282m
Estimated Attenuation (on ADSL): 45dB

You are connected to one of the following:
Cabinet 5 which is currently planned to receive FTTC (65% of lines)
Cabinet 53 which is currently planned to receive FTTC (34% of lines)

Our check shows that you cannot currently order FTTC.

No speed estimate is currently avaiable for your line.

i don't understand why their data don't know what cab I am connected to and also what does the percentage of lines mean, do it mean that 65% of the lines going cab 5 will be fibre enabled? If that is the case then that is not many lines. and even less on cab 53.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Tue 06-Mar-12 01:31:16
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

What the % of lines reffers to is the number of lines on a postcode that go back to that cab.

65% to cab 5 and the final 34% of the postcode goes to cab 53, both will be enabled for FTTC.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to