General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Orddu
(learned) Sat 17-Mar-12 01:43:06
Print Post

Re: FTTC speed problem after modem replacement *DELETED*

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

Well, as a quick test I've put the speedtest.net app on my Android phone. OK it's WiFi but it's also Windows-free, and lo and behold, 17.9 meg and 18.2 meg on 2 tests, network otherwise idle.

So it's not Windows then (which I didn't think it was, having used 3 laptops and a desktop on a variety of XPs and Win7s).

Plus we already have a Linux server, but it just sits there and looks after media files and backups, so I've not toyed with it. It has been known to be temperamental and probably needs an update, but currently it ain't broke!
Standard User DLS
(regular) Sat 17-Mar-12 09:46:27
Print Post

[re: Orddu] [link to this post]

I wouldn't necessarily rely on a phone+WiFi test. I've just tried my iPhone using our two access points with 802.11n (on the router) and 802.11g at the other side of the house, and it's not a great indicator of download performance.

802.11n peaked at ~27 Mbit/s within ~1 metre of the router, clear line-of-sight, and drops quickly to ~15-18 Mbit/s as I moved to ~2 metre. 802.11g managed 22 Mbit/s on one test, then ~16-18 on half-a-dozen more in the same spot next to the AP, although it maintained that to about 7 metre and through a couple of solid walls. Wired download speed on a desktop, before and after, is 37-38 Mbit/s.

If possible, it would be useful for you to calibrate the phone speed on another system that is known to have faster download speed.
Standard User DLS
(regular) Sat 17-Mar-12 10:03:41
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
I was going to suggest that! Maybe the OP could boot one of the Linux Live CDs - e.g. Knoppix or Ubuntu in 'Try Me' mode.. just to eliminate Billygatesware as the cause.

I know how you feel. Apart from one or two irritating cases out of my control, I've largely managed to avoid the stuff. I suppose these days it's mostly harmless, but it's what I call "a rat in the bread bin"; I'm sure you'll get it after a minute of contemplation.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Orddu
(learned) Sat 17-Mar-12 12:15:27
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

Oh indeed, not a hard-and-fast test, but it was all I was really up for at almost 2am!

And either way, a massive coincidence that it came up with the exact same answer as I've had from every other test so far. It might not be empirical data, but I think it's fair to say it eliminates Windows as the problem. Which 4 different installations already did, really, but it's nice to get it totally out of the equation.

Oh, and I was 6 feet from the wireless router, line-of-sight, same room smile
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-12 13:01:01
Print Post

Re: FTTC speed problem after modem replacement

[re: hareng] [link to this post]

A registry cleaner isn't going to do anything positive.
Standard User Orddu
(learned) Sat 17-Mar-12 13:21:37
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Nor will one ever come within 100 yards of any PC I have jurisdiction over!

But it's not possible for 4 PCs to suffer the same mental-health problem all at one moment, independently of one-another (especially on different OSs) so indeed, not going to help anyway.
Standard User Orddu
(learned) Thu 29-Mar-12 07:53:38
Print Post

In the continuing saga...

Nothing changed until 01:19 this morning when the fibre went off. Hadn't come back 20 mins later, so we swapped to the backup ADSL and went to bed.

This morning, it was back on. And... showing 34 meg!!! Hallelujah!

However, in the time it took me to get dressed and have some cereal, it's back to 17.9 again.

A few moments of excitement there, but surely since it flashed to 34 for a few minutes and then retrained, surely SURELY someone must accept this as a fault now? Surely?!
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Thu 29-Mar-12 09:39:23
Print Post

I have spoken to Orddu this morning and we agree there is an issue there somewhere, however we are still trying to pin point where.

When it comes to the FTR (Fault Threshold Rate) set by OR, this is across the board no matter who the provider is. The BT Infinity estimate fluctuations of 1-2mb is for the provision of the fibre connection. So if they suggest you will receive 32mb. if they provide you with 30mb, they are still within limits. If however the speeds drop to 14mb, then it is still above the FTR of 12mb and therefore not classed as a fault (this is of course if they are running by the same rules as other providers.)

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Edited by Azzaka (Thu 29-Mar-12 09:40:02)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User smurf46
(member) Thu 29-Mar-12 09:53:27
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

Exactly what I thought! So all this marketing hype about "superfast", which usually means BT-based FTTC (VDSL2) is where a minimum of 25Mbps actually means a minimum of 12Mbps. Brilliant; well I suppose it is post-"1984".

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Mar-12 10:29:55
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

12Mbps is vastly better than the ADSL where even if down to 160Kbps they would simply say take it, or we can cease service attitude of wholesale

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to