General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Apr-12 22:30:31
Print Post

Re: Fibre in Helston Cornwall

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I don't use it much down there anyway - and the cottage has it, as I said. Can do anything necessary from there, otherwise its GPS on Nokia maps, which unless you are very drunk you don't need to get home from the Atlantic, and if you were that bad you wouldn't be able to operate an N900 anyway.

I've got O2 unlimited wifi, but of course that is very variable down near the harbour where we are. OK when unsure where you have ended up in the car smile.

Favourites are The Harbour outside, not inside, and The Ship - in the bar, as we can have the dog with us while we eat. Blue Haze and The Lugger occasionally, Nauti But Ice, Roland's, and the Horse & Jockey of course! I wonder what the pasty prices will be now frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-12 23:20:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Interestingly, Porthleven was a trial site for Mesh wireless years ago.
They were quite happy to allow dogs in the Atlantic (not family area at the rear) but if you can get a table in the front , especially by the windows , you can enjoy a nice meal with your best friend.
The Harbour is nice outside , weather allowing , but can get a bit too busy in the summer. The steep steps to the Ship are a bit of an issue.
No internet access where we stayed several times. Just about get by with tethering the phone.
Standard User V1N
(newbie) Sat 02-Jun-12 15:54:33
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

I was just wondering if there had been a more up to date list leaked out, or that members here have access to, that may give more current information?

As far as I can tell, the same streets as before can still get fibre, with far more impressive speeds than I was expecting to see, but no further rollout seems to have occurred?

starting to feel like that's it, Helston has fibre, but only for some lucky residents.

I assume the rollout will continue around the town at some point, but was just wondering if anybody had any more specific information, particularly in my case, regarding the postcode TR13 8FH.

I'm impressed to see some users, according to the checker at least, being able to get 70mbps down, and a fantastic 20mbps up.

I've tried calling BT, but can't get any local information from them.
I'm just wondering, approximately, when my postcode may be due to get a fibre product available, be that FTTC or FTTP.

I realise that I'm simply being impatient, however, any kind of update would be gratefully received.

Many thanks as always,
Vin.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sat 02-Jun-12 17:36:44
Print Post

[re: V1N] [link to this post]

There is information that you are planned to get FTTP (not FTTC) from cab 17 as part of the Cornwall Trance 2 rollout however i don't know when this is.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User V1N
(newbie) Sat 02-Jun-12 19:48:00
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your response.

I guess we're just getting a little frustrated here!
after the initial batch of connected streets, I don't know anyone in the area who can yet sign up, the checker always saying that Fibre isn't available yet.

I guess when it is, I'll be kissing goodbye to my 15 year connection to Demon, that started life as a 33.6kbps connection, to 56k, through ISDN and eventually ADSL.

I wish they offered a fibre option to be honest, and I'd stay with them longer... but... well maybe I'll come back to them in the future if I can get a good fibre option with them.

After hearing many bad things about BT Broadband, I hope their Infinity packages are reliable, and fast at all times.... I'm looking forward to finding out for myself!

Kind regards,
Vin.
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sat 02-Jun-12 19:51:41
Print Post

Dont forget FTTC is not just from BT, there are many of alternative providers you can sign to if you are not wanting to go with BT!

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User V1N
(newbie) Sat 02-Jun-12 20:02:52
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Yes, you're absolutely right.... I've already taken note in your signature that ADSL24 offer FTTC.

Because I've never been in a position to get fibre myself, I've never really spent much time looking into providers, and am only really aware of Infinity, and Virgin's offering, which I've already decided against, after having already spoken to other Virgin Subscribers.

Once I can get connected, I'll have a good browse around this site and see what's available. Something with a great upstream, and no FUP's (or at least a very generous one so I never have to worry about it) are essential.

so, your point is taken, thanks!
Just have to wait until my area is connected.
Vin.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 18-Jun-12 09:10:44
Print Post

hey guys, any news on fibre optic coming to the postcode TR13 0BS? any help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 18-Jun-12 21:33:29
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Can I ask if anyone know what TR13 8GA cab is connected to, also is it planned for FTTP or FTTC. They were around last month surveying
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Jun-12 23:30:19
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

TR13 8GA is on cabinet 25, but the expected speeds are poor. 1.87 times current. I guess you are a long way away from it.

Schedule in December was Tranche 2 of the special (BDUK?) scheme running for Cornwall. There is an April spreadsheet but it hasn't leaked out yet so far as I know.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to