General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User emjay1978
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-12 12:34:09
Print Post

Re: Fibre in Helston Cornwall

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Anyone have any clue what is going to be done about the straight to exchange lines? I imagine most of the shops in town are direct to the exchange and would benifit from fibre. Are we getting FTTP? Would the cost be greater? All we ask for is some information. Thats all smile even if its planned for year dot at least we would know smile
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 17:54:23
Print Post

[re: emjay1978] [link to this post]

News article from the news section of think broadband.

Update 1:30pm: We asked Openreach about the issue of Exchange Only lines back in April 2012, and received a response regarding those lines or groups of lines run directly from the exchange, which is usually those closest to the exchange or new estates located further from the exchange. Openreach has said that where technically and economically feasible they will provide either a FTTC (via new cabinet) or FTTP service, this is done on a case-by-case basis as the roll-outs progress. We believe pressure to hit the 66% figure as soon as possible, means these areas will mainly be waiting until 2014, or for the various BDUK projects to start producing results.

If your area is deemed viable then either FTTP or FTTC will be rolled out.

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jun-12 18:14:09
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In Cornwall (which is distinct from other BDUK areas), hence so far ahead of the curve. The economics may be different, but the same get the easy cabinets done first will most likely apply.

Once fibre on demand is out, I suspect the Exchange Only issue will start to be worked on, as smaller local teams can handle this rather than the transient teams that rush from one cab to another at present.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jun-12 19:41:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
TR13 8GA is on cabinet 25, but the expected speeds are poor. 1.87 times current. I guess you are a long way away from it.

Not a long way from the cabinet, by road maybe a couple hundred meters max, but from the exchange yes, were on the edge of the town, unsure actual distance, but about 1 - 1.5miles
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Jun-12 21:08:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Distance from the exchange is irrelevant on FTTC. There may be an error in the data, or the nearby cabinet isn't number 25, (have you checked - it should be on it?), or the cabling from it to you goes in a mad loop somewhere rather than straight - which does happen sometimes.

What ADSLx speed do you get?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jun-12 23:13:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Distance from the exchange is irrelevant on FTTC. There may be an error in the data, or the nearby cabinet isn't number 25, (have you checked - it should be on it?), or the cabling from it to you goes in a mad loop somewhere rather than straight - which does happen sometimes.

What ADSLx speed do you get?

Yep Cab 25, and no more than 300 meters total as the road/path goes. The cab can only be 1994/5 and our street was one of the first build connected to that cab.

BB speed currently is 10mb down, 0.7mb up. Checking the BT site it says I support 14.5mb

Been for another walk and Cab 25 is the only one on our estate with the next nearest I could find was Cab 7 down by Fire Station, and this one looks like its gone Fibre already, as new box next to it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jun-12 00:05:12
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Very strange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User syseng
(newbie) Wed 02-Jan-13 19:11:45
Print Post

i have been told today that Godolphin road helston might be fiber enabled in may this year we shall see
Standard User urbanxtrail
(newbie) Sat 12-Jan-13 18:33:55
Print Post

[re: syseng] [link to this post]

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the broadband in the area near the may tree my postcode is TR!£8FY there has been work on cabinets in area but still no Fibre also our broadband speed is useless for a new property, 3.2mb is rubbish
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Jan-13 23:10:15
Print Post

[re: urbanxtrail] [link to this post]

Hi, is that supposed to be TR13 8FY, and you kept the Shift key pressed?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to