General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Mon 12-Mar-12 21:24:33
Print Post

Re: FTTC install?

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Openreach supply them, not me. Please discuss the terminology used with Openreach. tongue

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User prinknash
(committed) Mon 12-Mar-12 21:41:11
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I had Infinity installed last week. I wanted the modem put on the wall just a fraction too far away from the master socket for the cable the Openreach guy had with him to stretch. So he immediately suggested I use the slightly longer cable I'd been using with my router which he saw lying on the table. He assured me it would be fine and so it has proved to be.

p
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Mon 12-Mar-12 22:03:12
Print Post

[re: prinknash] [link to this post]

I fully intend on using the same twisted pair RJ11 cable that I'm using now, I'm sure it'll be better than the supplied one.

Edit: IIRC it was this one, they also have longer ones too.

After removing my cheap and nasty cable from the master socket, replacing it with Cat5e and replacing the supplied modem cable with this one my ADSL speed improved. So hopefully it will be good with FTTC too.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 12-Mar-12 22:08:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Mar-12 23:00:36
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
After removing my cheap and nasty cable from the master socket, replacing it with Cat5e and replacing the supplied modem cable with this one my ADSL speed improved. So hopefully it will be good with FTTC too.

Cat5e is equally as good as OpenReach supplied cable. What OpenReach need to rule out is the cheap and nasty extensions sold in the high street for voice only use. Most of the times these are not even twisted at all, never mind twisted correctly. At VDSL speeds this would be catastrophic.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 12-Mar-12 23:03:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The cable that BT supplied to connect my master socket to the VDSL modem was plain flat twin... currently running quite happily at nearly 70Mbps tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Mar-12 23:48:33
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
The cable that BT supplied to connect my master socket to the VDSL modem was plain flat twin... currently running quite happily at nearly 70Mbps tongue

Hmm; short distances then, for your definition of short smile

I'd be interested to see retry stats on both your cable and a properly twisted/terminated cable - but given we hardly get stats from Ethernet cards these days, I suspect that's impossible. smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Tue 13-Mar-12 09:59:35
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Same here, running at a steady 75Mbpssmile
Standard User Rever
(newbie) Tue 13-Mar-12 19:20:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Just to summarise.

The master socket to modem cable is RJ11-RJ11.
The modem to hub cable is a standard cat5e network cable RJ45-RJ45.
From the hub to a wired PC is also a standard cat5e cable RJ45-RJ45.

Presumably a phone can still be plugged into the faceplate as well as the modem lead using an RJ11 adaptor.

Apologies for keep asking what are probably obvious questions, just want to get my head round the configuration.

Many thanks.
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Tue 13-Mar-12 20:07:23
Print Post

[re: Rever] [link to this post]

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Presumably a phone can still be plugged into the faceplate as well as the modem lead using an RJ11 adaptor.
Yes & no. The SSFP (service specific face plate) has a socket to take an RJ11 plug at the top and a socket to take a BT431a plug at the bottom. Hence the modem will be plugged in at the top and the telephone at the bottom. No adaptors are required. smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Rever
(newbie) Tue 13-Mar-12 20:44:40
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Excellent. Thanks for clarifying that.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to