General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Tue 13-Mar-12 21:05:16
Print Post

Re: FTTC install?

[re: Rever] [link to this post]

You're welcome.

Once you have your service installed, please open a thread and tell us how it proceeded, along with your "just installed" statistics.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Rever
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-12 19:15:05
Print Post

An update on this.

I went with BT and had Infinity installed this morning.

Prior to the engineer visit I replaced the flat cable phone extension from the master with hard wired cat5e and terminated it into an NTE5 splitter faceplate (used A & B) in the living room. I then routed another cat5e cable from the ADSL socket on the new plate and terminated the other end into a cat5e data faceplate in my conservatory where my PC is located (distance approx 10mtrs)

When the engineer arrived he was more than happy with my setup. I told him I don't use the master socket directly for the phone so he decided to crimp the cat5e that I had hard wired on 2 & 5 in the master onto the incoming phone line as he said it would be a better and more direct connection. He also mentioned that infinity doesn't like 2 capacitors in the line so by crimping directly onto the cat5e it would remove one of them. (There is already one in the NTE5 that I installed).

The new modem is plugged into the ADSL socket. My cat5e extension is plugged into Lan1. The home hub is connected to the data socket in the conservatory via the supplied red infinity lead and the PC via the other supplied lead from port 4.

All seems to be ok. On 40/10 and currently getting approx 36/6 although it does fluctuate quite a bit presumably whilst the line settles down.

One thing I have noticed. The 3 blue lights on the hub seem quite dimly lit compared to other routers. (I haven't got Power Save enabled)

Edited by Rever (Fri 27-Apr-12 19:19:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Apr-12 22:18:52
Print Post

If I read that right, the CAT5 from the living room to the conservatory has a plug at the living room end, so was easy to transfer from the NTE5 filtered faceplate to LAN1?

Sounds fine to me.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rever
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-12 23:35:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The modem is in the living room and is connected via the NTE5 faceplate using the modem lead provided by BT.

I have a 10mtr CAT5 patch lead plugged into LAN1 on the modem and then I cut the plug off the other end in the conservatory and hard wired it into a data module plate. One end of the supplied 'red' infinitiy lead is plugged into the data socket and the other end to the hub.

I could have obviously plugged the 10mtr patch lead directly into the infinity side of the hub but I think it looks neater via a data socket. Just tidies it up rather than having the excess coiled up.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to