General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User epyon
(committed) Sun 18-Mar-12 14:58:07
Print Post

Re: 80/20 is coming!

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

The funny thing is i actually do :L

1.Vivaciti Lite 14310/1185Kbps @ 6db INP2
2.TalktalkEssentials 15788/1254Kbps @ 6db INP0
Standard User Croftie
(member) Mon 26-Mar-12 14:21:34
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Sorry to bring the discussion out of the gutter laugh..

Just seen this link posted on BT's forum: http://www.evenfaster.bt.com/

Looks like they will be charging extra:

We'll be announcing prices for the new speeds soon.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Mar-12 17:42:20
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Over the last two years, BT Infinity has changed the face of broadband in the UK by giving our customers speeds four times faster than the UK average. And more and more people can get it every day ....
That's a nonsense statement.

Every day, the average gets higher. So it either started off far more than four times the UK average, or at some point, possibly already, the statement becomes untrue. tongue

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:50:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Their is two parts to that statement

Over the last two years, BT Infinity has changed the face of broadband in the UK by giving our customers speeds four times faster than the UK average.

And more and more people can get it every day we're on track to reach 10 million premises in 2012, and two thirds of the UK by the end of 2014.

Second part is about availability increasing everyday.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Mar-12 21:15:30
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Increased availability implies increased uptake. Increased uptake validates my previous assertion smile. That was my point, that in the quote the second statement potentially invalidates the first.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User simon194
(learned) Tue 27-Mar-12 14:17:32
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Justo:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Just off the phone with BT Retail sales team

The rep said, as far as he is ware, the BT Retail 80/20 will be an automatic upgrade from 40/10 for BT Infinity customers with no action needed by the customers to get the upgrade.

He did say however he had not officially been told what was happening

Can't see this being the case as we know OR/BTW are charging more, so retail will pass it on.

What they probably mean is that it will be available automatically because I can't see BT changing the profile on demand, not that it need changing because VDSL2 Profile 17a has already been rolled out in most areas.
Standard User simon194
(learned) Tue 27-Mar-12 14:30:14
Print Post

[re: arfster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arfster:
I wonder when they'll lift the next cap, go up to 100 or 120. OK, only a small number of people will benefit there, but kinda silly to restrict it.

They will probably take it up to 100Mbps as the fastest FTTC product then FTTP/ "FTTP on Demand" for 110Mbps and up.
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Wed 28-Mar-12 11:07:29
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Can we assume the TalkTalk checker being based on the OR data, is going to give the same underestimated speeds as before?

Standard User Justo
(member) Wed 28-Mar-12 12:01:04
Print Post

[re: TheManStan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheManStan:
Can we assume the TalkTalk checker being based on the OR data, is going to give the same underestimated speeds as before?

Depends if you are already a fibre TT customer. It appears that if you are the checker gives very accurate results, probably based on known attainable rates. Easy way is to check your modem stats if you are in Fibre already.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User creakycopperline
(learned) Sat 31-Mar-12 21:45:01
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
No pleasing some people is there?

BT spend billions rolling out superfast broadband but it's too fast for some! Never thought I'd hear that one I honestly didn't.

If they didn't upgrade your cabinet you'd be one of the first to blast them. Even 40 quid a month for 80meg is very cheap when you compare to how expensive broadband used to be.

Hmm reminds me of that advert, (can't remember who it was for, but it consisted of a bloke who wanted to pay more for a less powerfull lightbulb. automatic migration to 80/20 would be awesome, they are planning on srarting on my cabinet on the 3rd april, according to my local council's roadworks planning sheet. when signed up to BT in january he told me i would be transferred over automatically.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to