General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Justo
(member) Tue 13-Mar-12 15:58:48
Print Post

Re: 80/20 is coming!

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Just off the phone with BT Retail sales team

The rep said, as far as he is ware, the BT Retail 80/20 will be an automatic upgrade from 40/10 for BT Infinity customers with no action needed by the customers to get the upgrade.

He did say however he had not officially been told what was happening

Can't see this being the case as we know OR/BTW are charging more, so retail will pass it on.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Justo
(member) Tue 13-Mar-12 16:03:04
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I would pay what I am paying now if a little more to get 10Mbps on fibre if it had a decent FUP. Considering that ADSL is up to 16/24Mbps depending on the provider.

I don't think you're alone as I was getting 1.5Mbps on ADSL and now get 37.5Mbps on fibre which is fabulous but I didn't need to go that fast, 10 or 20Mbps would have been transformational for me. However the cost in giving me fibre to do 10Mbps is likely the same (fibre, cabinet, power, install etc) as 40Mbps, so would I want to pay ~£10 a month to go from 1.5 to 10Mbps? not really.

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-12 16:10:26
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/5013.html

40/2 is £82.80 a year
80/20 is £119.40 a year (replaces the 40/15 product)

Don't see Openreach slicing the price much lower, as the per port costs will be kicking in. If it were to happen estimate around £55 a year for a 15/2 product.

The big BUT is that this undermines the purpose of the roll-out to which is to sell superfast services. With limited port capacity they will want to sell the higher priced products of course.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User KayCee
(experienced) Tue 13-Mar-12 16:24:10
Print Post

[re: roboraver] [link to this post]

Would be a good coup for BT seeing as the likes of TT have already stated they will charge more.

We can live in hope I guess !
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-12 17:04:03
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

http://www.networkextender.com/png/anfp1_11.pdf

This ANFP documnet states BT has frequencies up to 30Mhz accounted for (see page 8), which would be 30a which is currently the fastest live protocol that i know of. So the potential for awesome speeds is doable.

Edited by TheManStan (Tue 13-Mar-12 17:06:01)

Standard User lee111s
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-12 17:47:08
Print Post

[re: TheManStan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheManStan:
http://www.networkextender.com/png/anfp1_11.pdf

This ANFP documnet states BT has frequencies up to 30Mhz accounted for (see page 8), which would be 30a which is currently the fastest live protocol that i know of. So the potential for awesome speeds is doable.

Indeed, but I don't think Ofcom have agreed for it to be used in the UK yet. I could be wrong though.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-12 17:48:26
Print Post

[re: KayCee] [link to this post]

It is amazing enough that BT does not charge extra for Infinity versus equivalent package already. Adding an extra £3.05 a month to this loss making venture is likely to attract complaints of BT trying to distort the market.

Or put another way, have Openreach sell at a high price, which BT Retail then under cuts.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Mar-12 18:57:37
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Justo:
I don't think you're alone as I was getting 1.5Mbps on ADSL and now get 37.5Mbps on fibre which is fabulous but I didn't need to go that fast, 10 or 20Mbps would have been transformational for me. However the cost in giving me fibre to do 10Mbps is likely the same (fibre, cabinet, power, install etc) as 40Mbps, so would I want to pay ~£10 a month to go from 1.5 to 10Mbps? not really.

I remember when we first had ADSL here I was paying £40 a month, for half a megabit, it was great, hell of a difference to the old dial up system. the only reason I updated to ADSL at the time was because I had a lodger and the extra speed between us was great, plus at the time no more limits and cut off time.

i know things have changed now and most people could not cope with dial up, but I do know a couple who is still on dial up, their choice.

We do need more speed, but not all of us need 40 megabits and yet because we are a distance away from the exchange we have to pay extra for fibre to get extra speed.

If I had 8megabits, I would not even consider fibre.

Don't get me wrong, I am lucky to get the speed I get, but that is only because I am on a decent network and got myself a router that got a third party firmware that allows me to knock the SNR right down and for most things it is fine.

the only problem I have is playing Hd content.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Mar-12 19:00:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/5013.html

40/2 is £82.80 a year
80/20 is £119.40 a year (replaces the 40/15 product)

Don't see Openreach slicing the price much lower, as the per port costs will be kicking in. If it were to happen estimate around £55 a year for a 15/2 product.

The big BUT is that this undermines the purpose of the roll-out to which is to sell superfast services. With limited port capacity they will want to sell the higher priced products of course.

But not everyone wants to pay extra for superfast services, but still want a decent speed which they would get if they lived closer to the exchange.

I pay nearly £20 a month as it is, which is the same price as a mate of mine pays for the same network, but because he lives a few yards from the exchange he can get 16 megabits and I get over 4 with a bit of trickery. Not sure if I want to pay more just to get more speed.

a lower cost, slower fibre service would be idea.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Tue 13-Mar-12 19:21:45
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Just off the phone with BT Retail sales team

The rep said, as far as he is ware, the BT Retail 80/20 will be an automatic upgrade from 40/10 for BT Infinity customers with no action needed by the customers to get the upgrade.

He did say however he had not officially been told what was happening

It will be interesting to see how BT Retail price the new 80/20 service considering Talk Talk's 80/20 plus package is already cheaper than the maximum 40/10 package offered by BT Retail.

BT Infinity
300m to cabinet
37.7mbit down / 8 mbit up
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to