General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lee111s
(regular) Tue 13-Mar-12 21:23:16
Print Post

Re: 80/20 is coming!

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

No pleasing some people is there?

BT spend billions rolling out superfast broadband but it's too fast for some! Never thought I'd hear that one I honestly didn't.

If they didn't upgrade your cabinet you'd be one of the first to blast them. Even 40 quid a month for 80meg is very cheap when you compare to how expensive broadband used to be.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 13-Mar-12 21:27:25
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
?
OTT?

What's wrong with maniac's post? I don't see the connection between what he said and your reply.

Where does he say anything is too fast, and TT is using Openreach GEA just like BT Wholesale, ergo BT Infinity?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 13-Mar-12 21:28:17)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Mar-12 21:53:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What's wrong with maniac's post? I don't see the connection between what he said and your reply.

Sounds like confusion between Retail and OpenReach.

(I still think in eyes of the general public, OR need to ditch the small BT icon in their logo).

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Mar-12 22:51:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alnath:
The estimates are based on 90% of the ports in the cabinet being active.

As more VDSL circuits become active, crosstalk will bring down the sync rates.

Which i already knew and doesnt answer the question really.

Firsly you didn't ask a question.

Secondly, if you knew that, then it was a stupid post. There might only be 10% utilisation of the ports at the moment so the max sync rate, which is based on current noise levels, will be what it is, in your case over 120mbps. As time passes and ports fill up, more noise (crosstalk) will be introduced and this will reduce the maximum sync Ultimately, it's an ESTIMATION.

No need to be such a clever dick really old chap and keyboards are cheap so i would buy a new one given you appear to have a stuck caps lock key.

I would get the full 80Mbit even if the cab was full to the top of its little boots given its location to me and the fact it is only a small cab. When the cab was brand new my max attainable was 132Mbit, its now at 50%'ish capacity and its dropped by 10Mbit.

Given the checker previously said:

downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 10Mbps

but now says

downstream line speed of 76.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps

Was it so wrong of me to assume a profiled speed was being displayed?
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Tue 13-Mar-12 23:51:48
Print Post

The reply is to Zyborg i beleive, rather then maniac proably just hit reply on the bottom.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Mar-12 00:13:50
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Good spot, thanks. Doesn't really excuse him though. He clearly isn't thick, and must know the Reply and linking system here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User lee111s
(regular) Wed 14-Mar-12 08:27:32
Print Post

My bad, I should have quoted!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Mar-12 09:27:40
Print Post

BT spend billions rolling out superfast broadband but it's too fast for some! Never thought I'd hear that one I honestly didn't.

If they didn't upgrade your cabinet you'd be one of the first to blast them. Even 40 quid a month for 80meg is very cheap when you compare to how expensive broadband used to be.

i be shocked if they do upgrade the cabinet, a lot of people I speak to don't even think FTTC will happen around here for another few years , but Bt said around june this year.

This is because we always get everything last here and people don't believe it when someone say they are going to do this or do that here. We was shocked when we had ADSL in 2000.

Anyway back to the speed thing, I would not mind a bit more speed, but I don't need anything the speed that fibre offers and I certainly don't want to pay extra just because I am in a part of the city where i can't get a fast ADSL connection.

Like these people in villages around here which can't get ADSL or a decent ADSL and have to pay extra for wire less internet to get something that many people think is needed these days.

I don't care how much BT spend, they charge enough to their customers, so they can afford it, anyway no doubt they will get some money from the government .

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User lee111s
(regular) Wed 14-Mar-12 13:24:34
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

At the speed technology is advancing, in 4 or 5 years time 10meg just won't cut it. When you will have more IPTV services broadcasting at 1080p standard, bandwidth requirements are only going to increase. WIthin 8 years I reckon you're going to have 4k resolution as a pretty mainstream standard, which will require even more bandwidth,

I think they fact they're rolling out a technology which is going to be pretty future proof is excellent. Can't be expected to roll out 10meg to some areas just because that's all customers want right now, they have to think ahead.

Even when FTTC' limits are reached in years to come, the introduction of FTTP on demand pretty much means the next 20-30 years are not going to be a problem in terms of bandwidth availability given that FTTP is capable of 1Gbps...and that's today! Who knows what's to come.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Mar-12 14:18:03
Print Post

I get 40/10 service at the minute and at first I thought it would be fast enough

But now, as a photographic student, I easily upload >1gb of data at a time (RAW image photographs) and i could use a faster connection for uploading

I think as speeds get faster customers will be doing more and more with their broadband, possibly unthinkable at the mo as what we will be doing in a few years

Yes i feel lucky to get Infinity compared to others, but when people say 10 meg will do them i tend to disagree - faster services open up a whole new sector to I.T. eg. downloading legitimate movies on your xbox live or ps3 (at 1gb per movie)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to