General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Wed 14-Mar-12 23:50:52
Print Post

Re: 80/20 is coming!

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I agree 2Mbps is fine for one browsing, but once someone else in the household starts browsing say FB and plays a flash game on there 2 Mbps doesn't cut it. We're quite lucky, OR decided that our village which is connected to the Cowley exchange in Oxford, would be included in the FTTC roll-out. So our 2.5 Mbps is now 37ish, which has introduced us to HD iplayer and HQ films off lovefilm.... and no arguments about bandwidth hogging between me and missus!

Standard User DLS
(learned) Thu 15-Mar-12 03:00:00
Print Post

You might not need the fastest fibre speeds, but reading between the lines, it appears that you are, nevertheless, potentially a heavy user if you want to stream HD video.

Others have already pointed-out that there are fixed costs involved in the provision of a broadband connection, so charges don't vary much with speed (e.g., 80 Mbit/s won't be double the cost of 40 Mbit/s).

On the other hand, data volume is a significant component of cost, and if you want to sustain downloads at 8 Mbit/s, then that will generate a large volume. Only two hours per day equates to over 200 GByte per month - that's more than I use in some months on a 40 Mbit/s business plan with unlimited downloads.

If you're a driver, would you try using your line of argument when filling-up? What kind of reaction would you expect if you asked for a slower pump in order to reduce the cost of a full tank?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-Mar-12 08:49:54
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

TalkTalk have announced 80/20 will be a £15pm Boost over ADSL2+, compared with their £10pm one for 40/2.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DLS
(learned) Thu 15-Mar-12 10:05:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks; that illustrates my point nicely. Then they charge £7.00/month for upgrading volume from 40 GByte/month to "unlimited" - but I imagine contention becomes the real limit at peak times.

Edited £7.50 -> £7.00 (assuming I've read the cost correctly this time).

Edited by DLS (Thu 15-Mar-12 10:08:19)

Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Mar-12 10:57:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I remember those days when I used to come home for school and hammer the 56k connection - going well over the subscribed limit whilst happily tying up the phone line. Upgrading to 512k always-on broadband literally changed my life.
Standard User Justo
(member) Thu 15-Mar-12 11:31:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I know a few people who got 8megabits or more and most of them said they doubt they will bother with fibre.

for normal browsing 2megabits is fine, you will not notice a lot of difference by going super fast.

Fibre's a choice to pay more for more speed, if you're happy and able to get 8meg+ then I'd agree, don't bother with Fibre. To answer your question again around cheaper 15-20meg fibre, you appear not to have considered that the 40/2 offering may already be the cheapest price point OR could go down to before costs outweigh the revenue when rolling out a costly infrastructure.

An average cabinet costs in the order of £50k+ (could easily be higher) if you sign up the full 200 subscribers to it (assuming it's a double cab), then at £7 a month each that's currently 3 years before costs are covered. That's a heck of a time for someone like Openreach to start making money on their investments.

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Mar-12 14:26:20
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

Contention will vary from exchange to exchange, and will affect people the same way on a 40GB versus the unlimited, i.e. they run on the same links leaving an exchange.

LLU bandwidth is cheaper than 21CN.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DannyD12
(regular) Thu 15-Mar-12 15:00:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
We do need more speed, but not all of us need 40 megabits and yet because we are a distance away from the exchange we have to pay extra for fibre to get extra speed.

It costs the communication provider more to give you access to the internet when you're further away from the exchange, most of this is sunk cost but it's still cost none the less.

When Fibre is deployed that again costs more the further away from the exchange the cabinet is deployed (on average, obviously there will be exceptions).
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 15-Mar-12 17:46:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Why do we want our local storage to be on the cloud?

The only people pushing these services and saying that they are the next generation are the same people selling cloud storage space.

If I want to access my files anywhere I stick them on my NAS and access that, and all other backups are done via external drives.

It seems very odd to have offsite backups when we don't need them.

The thing i am looking forward to most is off site backup!!!

Your comments are a bit narrow minded i would say. I, like a lot of users now have a large and even increasing amount of data. Even through identifying non critical data and not including that in my off site backup, I still have 3.5 TB of data that i must backup.

Purchasing and maintaining an additional storage solution for backing this up (e.g a 3.5 TB RAID5) is extremely expensive, and still doesn't keep you data safe if there is a fire.

Off-site back costs £30 per year with unlimited storage with Carbonite. I think that is unbelievably good value in comparison to the NAS I just sold (which in itself would pay for a quarter of a century of unlimited backup if price/policy doesnít change!!!).

Also, to keep this relevant to the topic - Off-site backup capacity is directly related to the upload speed, because if the volume of data created in each cycle exceeds the upload rate in that same cycle then (e.g 10 Mbit/s ~ 108 gb per day max, without any overheads etc.).

So for those who posted above who donít think the speed increase is relevant to them - Donít just think about yourself!! Think about what the improvements to the digital infrastructure can have on industry, jobs and the economy.

ADSL24: C&W Home LLU ADSL2+, Netgear DG834PN 1.03.39 DGTeam 1018, Belkin N1 Vision (1.00.07), Core 2 Duo E6850 3 GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, 8 GB, 10 HDD=3.3TB

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Moradin
(member) Thu 15-Mar-12 20:24:32
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

mcompton69 has it bang on.

speed and storage, are kind of interchangable.

In the future, (you could do it now with the right set up, nps).. what about a complete save of your pc state

get a virus or something, fine. Quick wipe and reinstall.

hell, if manufacturers get their act together, why not a restore of the pc state from the bios...... ?

the possibilities are endless.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to