General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Mar-12 20:52:59
Print Post

Re: 80/20 is coming!

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

OS lite I am sure will appear, as in all data we have will be stored in a wallet online, and available from anywhere.

Remember even those using a NAS at home, have potential for external access to it.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:23:50
Print Post

[re: TheManStan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheManStan:
I agree 2Mbps is fine for one browsing, but once someone else in the household starts browsing say FB and plays a flash game on there 2 Mbps doesn't cut it. We're quite lucky, OR decided that our village which is connected to the Cowley exchange in Oxford, would be included in the FTTC roll-out. So our 2.5 Mbps is now 37ish, which has introduced us to HD iplayer and HQ films off lovefilm.... and no arguments about bandwidth hogging between me and missus!

I can understand the need for more speed if there are a few people in the building, be it flat, house or what ever. there is only one person that lives here and that is me, which is why I don't see the need for 40 megabits.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:30:06
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DLS:
You might not need the fastest fibre speeds, but reading between the lines, it appears that you are, nevertheless, potentially a heavy user if you want to stream HD video.

Others have already pointed-out that there are fixed costs involved in the provision of a broadband connection, so charges don't vary much with speed (e.g., 80 Mbit/s won't be double the cost of 40 Mbit/s).

On the other hand, data volume is a significant component of cost, and if you want to sustain downloads at 8 Mbit/s, then that will generate a large volume. Only two hours per day equates to over 200 GByte per month - that's more than I use in some months on a 40 Mbit/s business plan with unlimited downloads.

Then is it not about time that ISPs and Bt wholesale decided what the hell they are charging us for?

Maybe it is time we went to a metered broadband, pay for the data you use. I am getting fed up of paying the same amount as someone closer to town who can get a faster speed just because they live a bit closer to the exchange.

If you're a driver, would you try using your line of argument when filling-up? What kind of reaction would you expect if you asked for a slower pump in order to reduce the cost of a full tank?

Nope, that don't work out. Maybe you should use road tax, My Dad pay the same road tax for his car which is used about once a week, as the person next door as long as the car is the same size who uses his car every day, yet the person next door cause more damage to the road surface.

That probably don't work either, but better than your fuel idea.

Adrian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:35:55
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kiggs:
I remember those days when I used to come home for school and hammer the 56k connection - going well over the subscribed limit whilst happily tying up the phone line. Upgrading to 512k always-on broadband literally changed my life.
I would not say it changed my life, it did make things easier since there was two of use using two computers at the same time.

I had a older computer in my bedroom with the Bt modem attached and via co-ax network I had mine and my lodgers computer connected to it and use internet connection sharing. Not even sure if routers for the home user existed than.

Used that set with dial up and then just replaced the dial up modem with the Frog when we went broadband.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:41:51
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Justo:
Fibre's a choice to pay more for more speed, if you're happy and able to get 8meg+ then I'd agree, don't bother with Fibre.

If i was able to get 8 Megabits i would be in my element.
To answer your question again around cheaper 15-20meg fibre, you appear not to have considered that the 40/2 offering may already be the cheapest price point OR could go down to before costs outweigh the revenue when rolling out a costly infrastructure.

An average cabinet costs in the order of £50k+ (could easily be higher) if you sign up the full 200 subscribers to it (assuming it's a double cab), then at £7 a month each that's currently 3 years before costs are covered. That's a heck of a time for someone like Openreach to start making money on their investments.

You could be right, but that don't help people who have a slow speed because of the distance they are from the exchange and have to pay ,more just to get a decent speed.

I wonder how long it will be before Bt at least stop doing normal ADSL in areas which are fibre enabled? I think other ISPs, certaijn,y the ones with their own LLU services will happy to keep people for as long as possible, on ADSL.

Well I got at least four months until the date for fibre here comes around, i doubt it will happen then anyway. I got plenty of time to make up my mind what I am going to do.
But by the looks of it I think I may be staying as I am.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:46:24
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mcompton69:
[
The thing i am looking forward to most is off site backup!!!

Your comments are a bit narrow minded i would say. I, like a lot of users now have a large and even increasing amount of data. Even through identifying non critical data and not including that in my off site backup, I still have 3.5 TB of data that i must backup.

Purchasing and maintaining an additional storage solution for backing this up (e.g a 3.5 TB RAID5) is extremely expensive, and still doesn't keep you data safe if there is a fire.

Off-site back costs £30 per year with unlimited storage with Carbonite. I think that is unbelievably good value in comparison to the NAS I just sold (which in itself would pay for a quarter of a century of unlimited backup if price/policy doesnít change!!!).
[/quote]

All this cloud stuff is fine as long as you can get at the data, but what happens if the internet goes down, you can't get a connection, the company that have all your data goes under or and this have happened to someone I know, the service you are using have a major problem and also have problems with backups?

Ok it was only a website, the host had a problem, went to put everything back on via the back ups and that did not work.

Also, to keep this relevant to the topic - Off-site backup capacity is directly related to the upload speed, because if the volume of data created in each cycle exceeds the upload rate in that same cycle then (e.g 10 Mbit/s ~ 108 gb per day max, without any overheads etc.).
So for those who posted above who donít think the speed increase is relevant to them - Donít just think about yourself!! Think about what the improvements to the digital infrastructure can have on industry, jobs and the economy.

you mean think of more way that we can be ripped off?

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:48:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
OS lite I am sure will appear, as in all data we have will be stored in a wallet online, and available from anywhere.

Until something goes wrong and then that is it.
Not for me, something i will store online, but rely on it, nope.

Remember even those using a NAS at home, have potential for external access to it.

Again, until something goes wrong. i can acess my NAS over the net, I only done it once mind you, but again no good if the net is not working.

I feel we are going to rely on this cloud thing too much, it will go pop one day and the whole country will come to a stand still

Adrian

Standard User DLS
(learned) Thu 15-Mar-12 22:08:56
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Pricing is based on some mixture of fixed costs and downloads. It seems to me that there is a fair amount of choice in price, depending on your requirements. If you don't want to download much, go for one of the low-cost options with a download limit. Alternatively you could look at someone like Andrews & Arnold where you can pay according to download volume. Of course, you can also just stick to what you have right now.

You keep telling us that you would be happy with a speed of 8 Mbit/s; you haven't told us how much you want to download each month, so perhaps you'd like to clarify that. As I've already indicated, even with a low bandwidth you can consume a lot of network capacity. If you want to stream a lot, then you have to be prepared to pay for it, full stop.

Your road tax analogy is fallacious; the next door neighbour who uses a car more than your Dad does is also paying a lot more tax given that the great majority of the cost of fuel at the pump is tax.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Mar-12 08:26:38
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DLS:
Pricing is based on some mixture of fixed costs and downloads. It seems to me that there is a fair amount of choice in price, depending on your requirements. If you don't want to download much, go for one of the low-cost options with a download limit. Alternatively you could look at someone like Andrews & Arnold where you can pay according to download volume. Of course, you can also just stick to what you have right now.

There is a bit of choice in the market, sadly not as much as their used to be, with companies like Talk Talk and trying to buy up any ISp they can. i used to like Metronet, pay a minimal amount per month and get a certain amount of data free and then when that is used you pay a certain amount per GB after .

The closest that comes to that as far as I know now is some packages ADSL24 offers.
andrew and Arnold prices are way over the top, I am surprised they still going, I suppose they are not really for the home user.

You keep telling us that you would be happy with a speed of 8 Mbit/s; you haven't told us how much you want to download each month, so perhaps you'd like to clarify that. As I've already indicated, even with a low bandwidth you can consume a lot of network capacity. If you want to stream a lot, then you have to be prepared to pay for it, full stop.

Over the last 6 months

This is my usage

Feb 2012 103.412 GB
Jan 2012 73.550 GB
Dec 2011 19.001 GB
Nov 2011 30.577 GB
Oct 2011 11.615 GB
Sep 2011 56.676 GB

Thi9s month so far is 32.981 GB.

i got no idea why February is so high, I expected a rise around January as i started to use Netflix. i think this month will end about 60-65Gb which is a lot less than some people.
Your road tax analogy is fallacious; the next door neighbour who uses a car more than your Dad does is also paying a lot more tax given that the great majority of the cost of fuel at the pump is tax.

Maybe, but the petrol analogy was no better.

Adrian

Standard User Justo
(member) Fri 16-Mar-12 11:30:09
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Over the last 6 months

This is my usage

Feb 2012 103.412 GB
Jan 2012 73.550 GB
Dec 2011 19.001 GB
Nov 2011 30.577 GB
Oct 2011 11.615 GB
Sep 2011 56.676 GB

Thi9s month so far is 32.981 GB.

I'd say by all accounts you're a heavy data user so I wouldn't be wishing for a pay as you go style approach too soon.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to