General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 13:20:04
Print Post

Re: Cabinet information please- exchange live in September.

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
I would not class it as similar. THe copper BT twisted pais has very poor bansdwidth and is very subcect to noise. Coaxial cable that is feeding only one property has more than enough bandwith to meet any possible needs at least for the next 10 years. Coaxial also has much better noise immunity

Twenty years ago, Ethernet came at 10Mbps in 2 flavours - one on twisted pair, and one on coax.

Nowadays we see ethernet at gigabit speeds on twisted pair only, and the coax variant has died a death.

While I agree with you that Coax does indeed have better noise immunity, there must be something else in the equation that means twisted pair has won *that* race.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 29-Sep-12 23:53:53
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Any info for LS102EH

THANKS
Standard User ForensicIT
(newbie) Sat 06-Oct-12 11:58:08
Print Post

Re: Hunslet activation/ cabinet information please

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

Good news, I drove past cab 20, and the fttc cab has been installed, looks like they were putting the power supply in yesterday. Whats the capacity of these things, how many connections can they have?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Oct-12 12:05:29
Print Post

[re: ForensicIT] [link to this post]

The big cabs are 288 connections with multiple GigE backhaul links to the handover node

If the smaller cab it is 128 connections.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ForensicIT
(newbie) Sat 06-Oct-12 12:08:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah right okay, anyway we are on o2 at the mo, paying about 20 quid a month for 3meg.

Is there any other ISP that does fttc, that has unlimited usage for about 20-30 per month?
Standard User simon194
(member) Mon 08-Oct-12 00:21:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The big cabs are 288 connections with multiple GigE backhaul links to the handover node

If the smaller cab it is 128 connections.

I'm sure there is also a 256 connection version of the smaller ECI cabinet.
Standard User simon194
(member) Mon 08-Oct-12 00:38:46
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
I would not class it as similar. THe copper BT twisted pais has very poor bansdwidth and is very subcect to noise. Coaxial cable that is feeding only one property has more than enough bandwith to meet any possible needs at least for the next 10 years. Coaxial also has much better noise immunity

Twenty years ago, Ethernet came at 10Mbps in 2 flavours - one on twisted pair, and one on coax.

Nowadays we see ethernet at gigabit speeds on twisted pair only, and the coax variant has died a death.

While I agree with you that Coax does indeed have better noise immunity, there must be something else in the equation that means twisted pair has won *that* race.

The two main reasons are:

1. Twisted pair ethernet cable is considerably cheaper than RG58 coax that is used with thin-wire ethernet.
2. Coax cable is only good up to about 350Mbps.
Standard User richardc1983
(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 01:18:41
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Hi there

Can someone advise me if LS10 3BS is showing up as when we will get upgraded. Currently with Sky and get about 5mb but sky have just recently put prices up so thinking of moving to orange as can get out of the contract.

Used an old netgear router with cracked firmware so could adjust the SNR level, managed to get about 6mb/s perfectly but overnight the connection slowed back to the sync speed that the Sagem always synced at.

Wondering when will get fibre in my area.
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:22:50
Print Post

[re: richardc1983] [link to this post]

Can't help you with your cabinet, but the exchange has been put back to December now. I emailed OpenReach for a definitive answer on ours, which has gone from December 2012 to December 2013 now frown

Hope you get the answer you're looking for.

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User richardc1983
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 16:29:01
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

My cabinet is PCP34 i have also emailed open reach but no reply.

IF someone could check the list for me. i have seen openreach engineer working in the ground at west grange drive nearly the Royal mail delivery office.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to