General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:08:11
Print Post

Re: Why do BT fibre only certain cabs?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
same as the woman i was behind in morrisons yesterday wineing at the manager that the 5p per litre thing they do now and then
Thought the Chancellor was proposing 40p per unit not 5p per litre grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Mar-12 21:19:39
Print Post

[re: NICK_ADSL_UK] [link to this post]

VDSL if REIN is bad may be worse than ADSL2+, there is potential for this to be the case due to the frequencies used.

So if your problems are more than just a little bit of wiring, and more a broad spectrum RFI interference from the airport then only solution that would be immune enough is full fibre

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User creakycopperline
(learned) Mon 26-Mar-12 21:25:20
Print Post

[re: TheManStan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheManStan:
I would have thought it patently obvious that the majority of posters on a fibre forum would have fibre based connections or be getting connections, and would be discussing the ups and downs of fibre related things.
Yes, it is nice to have a stable 37 Mbps connection and far better than what i was expecting... but it's only been like that the last few weeks since the village cabs went live. Before that i had less than half your speed... I'd say were lucky for OR to have decided to include our village in their rollout, they could have easily omitted us.

I'm sure BT haven't omitted your cab for purely vindictive reasons... much like VM and all the other ISPs haven't decided to build their networks up to your door. They all have reasons for not serving you... if you wrote them they'd all come back with unviable economically, with BT could quite easily be you're unlucky...they have taken the cab originally meant for you, taken pity on our village and used it to give us next generation access, that would be the irony of fate!

That's what puzzles me, it's economical to do a small village, but not a a few postcodes of a street next to a busy road.
we're not exacly midsummer muders location material here, which gives me a theory they decide by throwing darts at a map of the british isles. sorrounded by BT Virgin Media and alike. but no one is prepared to go the las few yards down my street. B4rn where are you?

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User asbokid
(member) Mon 26-Mar-12 21:26:33
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Moradin:
If you want the ultimate answer....Its because of the poor decision by politicians to privatise BT in 1982.

ultimately, thats why we are in the terrible position we are in now. We have had a total lack of investment in this utility almost since the day it was privatised. the network remained stagnant for decades. Its a utility that people cannot do without. selling it off was the mistake.
Business is all about making the most profit, for the least investment. hence you don't get a cabinet, but the bloke at the end of the road does. Its the same concept with the Post Office (our local collection office closed, nearest one 5 miles away now). or any other service that the government decides. (Party Political Broadcast bit)

Hear hear that man!

Privatisation left Railtrack as a catastrophic economic train crash. The only option for the sake of the rail network was renationalisation..

The writing is on the wall for Openreach. It is custodian of equally critical infrastructure that should be prised away from the City thieves and returned to the nurturing care of the British state as the GPO, where it can regain the public's affection.

Somehow the sticky fingers haven't gotten hold of London Transport, but not for want of trying. The proposed sell-off of the 500-year old Royal Mail is the latest act of grand larceny by the City. Bullingdon Toff, David Cameron says he hasn't ruled out a private equity sale of Royal Mail stock. Kerching - boardroom seat secured!

Our Royal Mail Sorting Office is now only open 6am-noon. For over 100 years, the Sorting Office was housed in a grand neo-Gothic building in the centre of town. Sadly, that was sold off against much public protest. The building briefly became a swanky Italian restaurant which soon went bust. The building remains empty to this day. The Sorting Office is now a corrugated metal shed on a derelict windswept industrial estate several miles from town.

Take a look at this site for plentiful examples of grotesque neglect of public assets: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/index.php

Our ever-cheerful postman, bless him, is working twice the round he previously did. By the time he gets to our house, it's 12.30pm, when everyone is at work, so he leaves one of his 'Sorry You Were Out" cards. It's impossibly inconvenient to actually arrange collection or re-delivery of a parcel. I despair!

all three current main parties have let you, and the British people down, generation after generation. you just have to open your eyes to see it.

Quite.. It's a mistake to vote. The Westminster swindlers don't deserve any endorsement. Voting only encourages them!

Post-industrial Britain, eh?! How did this nation ever run an Empire? The twits in power couldn't even run a bath.

cheers, a

Edited by asbokid (Mon 26-Mar-12 21:32:36)

Standard User creakycopperline
(learned) Mon 26-Mar-12 21:39:24
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
In reply to a post by Moradin:
If you want the ultimate answer....Its because of the poor decision by politicians to privatise BT in 1982.

ultimately, thats why we are in the terrible position we are in now. We have had a total lack of investment in this utility almost since the day it was privatised. the network remained stagnant for decades. Its a utility that people cannot do without. selling it off was the mistake.
Business is all about making the most profit, for the least investment. hence you don't get a cabinet, but the bloke at the end of the road does. Its the same concept with the Post Office (our local collection office closed, nearest one 5 miles away now). or any other service that the government decides. (Party Political Broadcast bit)

Hear hear that man!

Privatisation left Railtrack as a catastrophic economic train crash. The only option for the sake of the rail network was renationalisation..

The writing is on the wall for Openreach. It is custodian of equally critical infrastructure that should be prised away from the City thieves and returned to the nurturing care of the British state as the GPO, where it can regain the public's affection.

Somehow the sticky fingers haven't gotten hold of London Transport, but not for want of trying. The proposed sell-off of the 500-year old Royal Mail is the latest act of grand larceny by the City. Bullingdon Toff, David Cameron says he hasn't ruled out about a private equity sale of Royal Mail stock. Kerching - boardroom seat secured!

Our Royal Mail Sorting Office is now only open 6am-noon. For over 100 years, the Sorting Office was housed in a grand neo-Gothic building in the centre of town. Sadly, that was sold off against much public protest. The building briefly became a swanky Italian restaurant which soon went bust. The building remains empty to this day. The Sorting Office is now a corrugated metal shed on a derelict windswept industrial estate several miles from town.

Take a look at this site for plentiful examples of grotesque neglect of public assets: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/index.php

Our ever-cheerful postman, bless him, is working twice the round he previously did. By the time he gets to our house, it's 12.30pm, when everyone is at work, so he leaves one of his 'Sorry You Were Out" cards. It's impossibly inconvenient to actually arrange collection or re-delivery of a parcel. I despair!

all three current main parties have let you, and the British people down, generation after generation. you just have to open your eyes to see it.

Quite.. It's a mistake to vote. The Westminster swindlers don't deserve any endorsement. Voting only encourages them!

Post-industrial Britain, eh?! How did this nation ever run an Empire? The twits in power couldn't even run a bath.

cheers, a

it's nice to hear something different on here, besides the usual drones trotting the privatisation is best rhetoric, will they be saying that when their grandkids are surfing the net with the same dial down broadband we have now? the NHS is next, don't be surprised at your next doctors appointment when you are told pay or die. to this lot it's in good hands, with openreach keep the copper golden goose alive.
i love it when they complain about the long term unemployed in former minning communities. the ones who thatcher shut down so their grandkids grow up without knowing what a job is. privatisation it's great isn't it?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 22:16:53
Print Post

So where do you propose to find the billions needed to renationalise Openreach from BT, as the current goverment does not have the funding to do so.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Mar-12 22:19:37
Print Post

?
But you are in a way repeating what creakynut said earlier.

You cite privatised companies as being disasters for the consumer, then include the non-privatised Post Office for being a disaster as well.

As I (partly) said in a deleted post, at least BT/Openreach are increasing the availability to the populace at large, though there are pockets getting a raw deal, but the publicly owned Post Office is closing local Post Offices; closing local Sorting Offices; has reduced deliveries to one per day instead of two, with that delivery possibly being middle to late afternoon; stopped Sunday and Bank Holiday collections from letter-boxes; and in this area at least merely gives a generic last collection time rather than having specific times and indicators on the post boxes.

The privatised companies seem to be doing rather better than that. Far from perfect, I agree!

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 26-Mar-12 22:22:01
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

creaky -- i openreach is an equivanelt business -- services all cp's equivalently -- you get 5.7 meg -- -- i -- a conversaion has alredy been suggested your cab could be privstely or BDUK funded if it not in commercial deployment -- i hope you have raised your concers re your cabinet to your county council and have it include din their county plan
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 26-Mar-12 22:43:53
Print Post

[re: creakycopperline] [link to this post]

they just say mb's to make it look fast.

5200 kbits/s, 5.2 Mbits/s - whichever takes your fancy.

It's still ten times faster then the 512k your were claiming, fool.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 26-Mar-12 22:47:14
Print Post

[re: creakycopperline] [link to this post]

B4rn where are you

last time I looked they were waiting for the weather that "isn't an issue" to improve while failing to get the targeted initial signups and using every tax loophole in sight and some publicly funded grant money for their extensive PR as well as exploiting suppliers prepared to give them years of free credit.

What's B4rn cost per property again ? a grand up front and 30 a month was it ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to