General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Tue 03-Apr-12 08:55:51
Print Post

Re: BT VDSL Modem speed info

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

As said if you have a Huawei you can hack the firmware, however if you've got an ECI like me your not going to get any stats. Work in progress by clever fellows in trying to access these, see kitz forum for updates.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 03-Apr-12 09:43:22
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
After re-sync'ing, the BT speedtest gave me a download speed of 270Kbps (yes, I have got the units right) on a 69.34Mbps profile, speedtest.net immediately afterwards gave this.

That's similar to what I often get from the BT tester, although the Beta (above 24Mb) tester seems to work reasonably well.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 03-Apr-12 11:02:21
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
although the Beta (above 24Mb) tester seems to work reasonably well.
Agreed- I haven't used that before but it's just given me 67.25Mbps, which I'm not complaining about smile

But it doesn't do an upload test and (more important from my pov) nor does it give the profile figure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-12 19:13:20
Print Post

I find the thinkbroadband speed tester far more reliable (consistent).
For your profile, you should be able to get the information here: http://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=B...
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Apr-12 19:20:23
Print Post

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1873424003.png

My Broadband Speed Test
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:17:41
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

Thanks for that link, the BT speedtester reports my profile OK but that one is easier and (I assume?) not subject to the 1 per hour limitation... bookmarked smile

I found the tbb tester to be consistent as well, but it was consistently wrong frown

I use a Mac, which has a little monitor showing network traffic. On several occasions I ran three consecutive tests- speedtest.net, tbb and BT. All three showed a nice flat-topped curve so no peak/average problems, but the tbb one was consistently only about 60-70% of the height of the other two.

I can only think it was peering or routing oddities, but I never got to the bottom of it and it appears to have gone away when I went to the 80/20 connection confused

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:29:08
Print Post

Thanks for that link, the BT speedtester reports my profile OK but that one is easier and (I assume?) not subject to the 1 per hour limitation... bookmarked smile
er...
Warning
BT have changed their systems, this tool now has to actively submit information to BT to read the BRAS details.
This may cause problems if your internet provider needs to use BT Speed Tester results for diagnostics and fault reporting in the near future. If in doubt, do NOT run this tool.

Running this tool will also prevent you from running the BT Java based speed tester for a few hours.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:35:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Oops... that'll teach me to read the text before clicking the button blush

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:37:40
Print Post

smile

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Apr-12 21:30:19
Print Post

Oops... that'll teach me to read the text before clicking the button blush
That could explain a lot .... tongue smile.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to