General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 04-Apr-12 12:01:19
Print Post

Re: TRULY unlimited fibre provider - do they exist?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

To have a truly unlimited FTTC service you would be taking many hundreds per month. We do offer unlimited off-peak and weekends, which may suit if you are able to schedule heavy stuff during those times...

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 12:40:28
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

DOCSIS is more time slicing than frequency slicing. Hence the differences in jitter present in Ofcom testing.

As bonding more channels becomes feasible things might improve, but for that to really work it would need more capacity from the TV side of things.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 12:41:38
Print Post

Sky.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DLS
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-12 12:56:42
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Do you have any data on the bandwidth of the exchange backhaul pipes?

TIA.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:11:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

so in theory if a modem can send more data in a shorter amount of time (higher burst speeds) jitter 'could' improve as long as the higher burst speed doesnt also translate to more been sent aka torrenting 24/7. Assuming there is enough capacity for those higher speeds to work. Whilst someone sending lots of seperate smaller packets that couldnt be sent in one timeslot would be a hinderance as well. If VM were to bond extra US channels which gives more bandwidth capacity, does it also add timeslot capacity?

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 04-Apr-12 13:12:26)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:14:18
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

I don't have data on that, would depend which provider as Sky and Talk Talk will be backhauling FTTC on their own networks. There is some data around about how they provision those, T-T is below 100 kbits/s per consumer and they use 100M or 1G circuits so there's more bandwidth to an FTTC cab than to a Talk Talk LLU exchange in most cases.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:16:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

so on a given frequency channel your cable modem contends with others on the same channel by time division.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:37:35
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
In reply to a post by jamieridler:
Doesnt Virgin Media only throttle P2P traffic?

No.

Traffic shaping applies to P2P and NNTP but is quite easy to evade.

They have always had downstream traffic limits on the lower packages and have now introduced them for all products. Upstream limits for all products came in with the upstream uplifts which is now almost complete all across the network. Exceed a limit and the speed is throtted back for 5 hours. This is by 75% on the low-end products and 50% for the higher speed packages.

If you are interested in the details they are published on the VM website.

But to be fair last night I was hitting 60-70mbps even when STM'd on USENET - which is still good IMO

AS long as you can get your head around the fact that you get throttled back to 50mbps that's fine. Most people complain saying that 100 users get put back to 50 and 50 users get put back to what they had before.

In either case we all pay the same now so it makes no odds either way you look at it. Most of us had 50 before we had 100 so are we not all in the same boat?

use your 20GB limit - then between 3-4 theres nothing on STM I think. Then use 10GB.. Then do what you need to overnight.

I'd love to see how busy it is overnight. Surely if everyone shifts to overnight and it can take it then it can take it all the time? Or would they put STM on the night bit too?
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:40:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
on a Sky forum I saw people discussing how much they p2p each month and one person said that they can do 4TB easily and when Fibre comes they would be able to top 10TB per month without trying.

Well Sky can keep all those customers as far as I care as they must be having an impact on the local congestion with that sort of use.

If they do try and keep the unlimited and unmanaged package on the fibre they will have to try and do something about the people who are using more than a 1TB per month.

I expect Sky are unwilling or unable to do anything that upsets the marketing machine.

I do over 1TB a month in the early hours of the morning, should I be kicked off?

If the answer is yes go for it - would get me out of it!
Standard User nalla
(member) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:50:59
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

well im with infinity, and i dont seem to get shaped at all, i get 37mb, and i can d/l at 37mb morning noon and night, the problem with p2p is can you gaurantee you are traffic shaped, rather than the seeds are seeding to another peer and not you, p2p is very hit and miss, as for newsgroups thats another story, i get full speed no matter what i do and when i do it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to