General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:09:14
Print Post

Re: TRULY unlimited fibre provider - do they exist?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

you've lost me.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:32:30
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
No virgin Haven't doubled their capacity - they are doing this so that more people can be crammed on.

They can spend 110M doubling the speeds - why cant they just hold back and us ethat for upgrades to the network they already have?

VM dont care about upstream. They only want to be the fastest down - We will have 120/12 but I would rather have 80/20 but that's just me.

I second that about them not caring about upload, Used to be a 100meg user it was purely for the upload (then again my upload never went past 6meg so could of just stuck on 50 lol, New ISP FTTC 40/10 will be doing 80/20 end of this month cant wait just for the upload smile

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps + littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + Bigtv+ IPTV Package
Standard User ScubaGirl
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:35:12
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Everyone uses their computers, iPhones, laptops, tablets and anything else which can connect to the Internet in different ways. This is called freedom of expression.

Reading through this thread I find it really funny when someone say that Sky can keep someone who brags about downloading 10TB per month. Please remember that they need to have the storage space to keep it all on too. I suspect that it would become quite expensive to purchase all the necessary NAS drives and hard drives to fit in them every month.

If they intend to burn all the material off onto DVDs and Blu-Rays to sell to their friends, then very soon Trading Standards will be knocking on their doors with a search warrant.

A few months ago thinkbroadband posted an article showing that the average traffic generated on a UK broadband connection was 17GB per month. It also mentioned that this figure had grown exponentially in the past few years and was expected to continue to grow.

With the introduction of more HD Video streaming services every month or two, and more homes having multiple people downloading video content all the time, it is easy to understand that the volume of data transmitted over the Internet will continue to rise.

Currently we have TVs that can have 1080p video shown on them. In the next couple of years we shall see the introduction of the next TV format: Ultra High Definition Television.

This format is 4320p, also known as 8K, or what you see in the Cinema. If 1080i movies are around 3GB in size, just think what 4320p movies will do to your monthly usage!

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Also at the bottom of their fibre page (register your interest) they categorically state:
Does Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre have a usage policy?

Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre is a residential service that offers totally unlimited usage - there is no fair usage policy and no traffic management is applied to this service.
It doesn't get much clearer than that!

Sure Sky could withdraw this policy, but they have had it for a few years now on the Sky Broadband Unlimited product.

Sky has been in a position to be able to invest in the infrastructure, where Virgin Media has had to spend money on getting all the different cable systems to work as one.

BTW has increased their backhaul (at least I hope they have), but like with VM, it just hasn't been enough and both companies continue to penalise their customer base for their slow improvements.

Early last year many Sky customers experienced issues with the backhaul being overloaded. This was put down to the introduction of Anytime+. The problem was fixed, even if it took a few months for some areas. Earlier this year Sky experienced a similar issue with a few different areas. This has been publicised on the Sky forum and dates have been given to show customers that it will be addressed.

From reading the reports of various people who have been priviledged to have Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre on the trial basis, I can say that no one appears to have had any issues with throttling or the backhaul to date.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:57:22
Print Post

[re: ScubaGirl] [link to this post]

Scubagirl, I think you'll find they're were on about upload on P2P, so you could only have 2TB of stored files, but if that 2TB was uploaded by 5 different people then that would be 10TB of uploads, thus they would not need an exponential amount of storage.

Edit: I could in theory fit 15 x 3TB drives in my server, who needs a NAS, luckily when I bought my last 2TB drive it was only £54

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 04-Apr-12 21:01:25)

Standard User ScubaGirl
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:32:42
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Scubagirl, I think you'll find they're were on about upload on P2P, so you could only have 2TB of stored files, but if that 2TB was uploaded by 5 different people then that would be 10TB of uploads, thus they would not need an exponential amount of storage.

Apologies, everyone thinks that torrents are the only source for high volumes of data. I am trying to show that more people are streaming video content. whether it be at home (which is the main issue) but I did forget to point out the possibility of streaming your own video (or music) content from your home to where ever you may be.

A few years back BT Retail used an idea in their advertisements related to streaming video content from your home to your hotel room whilst on holiday abroad. With all the current capping by most ISPs, this would be an impossible home IT solution.

There are devices that will allow you to stream live TV content from your own home over the Internet. Other people may wish to download a particular film of TV programme that they had recorded at home.

Currently those trialist on Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre have an upload limit of 2mb. Sky are testing the faster speeds with members of staff.

In a few years I predict that ADSL will become a thing of the past as everyone moves to FTTP or something better. Upload speeds could then exceed 600mb.

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Edit: I could in theory fit 15 x 3TB drives in my server, who needs a NAS, luckily when I bought my last 2TB drive it was only £54

It would still be expensive at around £120 per drive at current prices.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 23:03:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You are pirvvy to better information so you may well be right Andrew, but all the customers know is that it's to double speeds nothing more.

I guess it must be.. I refuse to believe DOCSIS 3 needs investment to go beyond 100mbps - This from the company who 3 months ago said they could download the entire Oxford dictionary in 1 second. How if it can't do it in 1 second..

I hope the 110M is to improve backhaul and the speed lift is just the flick of a switch (which it must be as most people get suckered into paying for install fee but others who ring up CR get it at the flick of a switch
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-12 02:00:27
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

VM are adding new channels to each DOCSIS (which is the prime bottleneck), so far tho only new downstream channels have appeared on end user's services, but the bulk of congestion is on the upstream, there is rumours of upstream bonding coming soon but so far there hasnt been any public occurances of this happening but of course noone has been fully upgraded yet. The users getting upgraded early have not yet had upload speeds increased because VM wont do that until capacity in the area has been upgraded. Some areas have had no capacity upgrades at all yet but have had some users upgraded partially (down speeds but not up).

One should be able to upload quite a lot faily easy on VM assuming isnt too heavy congestion as the upload limits on their STM are very generous and dont apply 24/7. Not sure who said they can upload 10tb on sky tho? especially on adsl upload speeds. eg. a 2mbit upload 24/7 can push only 600gig of data in a month.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Thu 05-Apr-12 19:57:22
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
TalkTalk FTTC. I know i'll get shot down in flames but seriously their actual broadband is very very good....its their shoddy phone support which somehow makes everyone think their broadband is poor too - however their forum support is quite good. A few months ago a family member signed up to their FTTC service and gets line speeds 24 hrs a day. He downloads close to half a terrabyte of data a month on their unlimited package and TT have not blinked an eyelid. I understand TT throttle P2P traffic on a dynamic basis (ie depending on how congested your exchange is) so if you're into heavy p2p downloads then perhaps its not a good idea to join them but other than that, all their other protocols run full speed 24/7. [gets ready to dodge bullets]shocked

Lol, I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, too BUT

BT Infinity Option2

I get full sync rate throughput 24/7. There are no limits, I've downloaded multiple terrabytes since the line was installed in January and uploaded close to 1TB.

I found settings that work with uTorrent to circumvent the traffic management for the most part - posted them on BT forums but of course were removed.

Can't fault it! smile

BT Infinity #2 - 4.4MBps on P2P ¦ Full 40/10 Sync ¦ 81/20 Attainable ¦ Benchmarked 22ms Ping ¦ 2ms Jitter ¦ 37.3Mbit Down ¦ 9.2Mbit Up
BT / Openreach - You've finally done well. Very well indeed.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-12 21:07:59
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

even if there is unlimited, you will pay a high price for it, Fibre is already expensive compared to what you get with ADSL and unless you really want the high speed of fibre or got a really slow ADSL service, then I think it is best to stay put.

I been looking at fibre services, no good looking at Sky unless you got Sky TV as you will not get Sky fibre without it, but to be honest none of them don't offer what I want for the price, I certainly would not go with Talk Talk.

so I will be staying as I am for a while at least unless things change.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 05-Apr-12 22:49:06
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
even if there is unlimited, you will pay a high price for it, Fibre is already expensive compared to what you get with ADSL and unless you really want the high speed of fibre or got a really slow ADSL service
On BT is is pretty much the same price.
I been looking at fibre services, no good looking at Sky unless you got Sky TV as you will not get Sky fibre without it
That is unclear, and in my opinion unlikely. There is no mention of needing TV on the current pre-launch Sky Fibre page, even in the small print that says you have to have Sky line rental and calls.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to