General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Apr-12 23:04:14
Print Post

Re: TRULY unlimited fibre provider - do they exist?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That is unclear, and in my opinion unlikely. There is no mention of needing TV on the current pre-launch Sky Fibre page, even in the small print that says you have to have Sky line rental and calls.

Sky are quite commercially savvy, and if for example you live in a block of flats in a conservation area that prohibits dishes, they'd still like to sell you broadband and probably their new TV over IP product (NOW TV).

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Apr-12 00:17:37
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

My understanding is that congestion on the VM network is both a local issue i.e. the MUX (some areas are so congested that Cat C re-segmentation work has to be undertaken to alleviate the load, and/or under-provisioning of the VM CMTS which they will only upgrade when load reaches 80-90% and the majority of people begin to experience issues.

Presumably, to reduce load to an individual MUX additional fibre has to be blown which Fujitsu will bill VM for. Similarly, upgrading a CMTS will require new line cards which cost a considerable amount. Then there's the issue of LINX connections.
Standard User simon194
(learned) Fri 06-Apr-12 00:37:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
even if there is unlimited, you will pay a high price for it, Fibre is already expensive compared to what you get with ADSL and unless you really want the high speed of fibre or got a really slow ADSL service
On BT is is pretty much the same price.
I been looking at fibre services, no good looking at Sky unless you got Sky TV as you will not get Sky fibre without it
That is unclear, and in my opinion unlikely. There is no mention of needing TV on the current pre-launch Sky Fibre page, even in the small print that says you have to have Sky line rental and calls.

The requirement to have TV was removed from the web page last week and it was also mentioned in one of the Corporate releases as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:21:11
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kiggs:
My understanding is that congestion on the VM network is both a local issue i.e. the MUX (some areas are so congested that Cat C re-segmentation work has to be undertaken to alleviate the load, and/or under-provisioning of the VM CMTS which they will only upgrade when load reaches 80-90% and the majority of people begin to experience issues.

Presumably, to reduce load to an individual MUX additional fibre has to be blown which Fujitsu will bill VM for. Similarly, upgrading a CMTS will require new line cards which cost a considerable amount. Then there's the issue of LINX connections.

Makes you wonder where their monthly revenue goes..
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:39:45
Print Post

On BT is is pretty much the same price.

But there is bound to be some difference, they are not going to offer high speed fibre for the same price without sacrificing something compared to ADSL.

Like the ISp I am with, the ADSL service I am on is unlimited, no traffic management and no profiling for a pretty decent price, not cheap but decent.. If I went for their fibre service, I would either pay the same and still get less as it is not unlimited or I could pay more but I still get less than I do now, just for a bit more speed, ok a lot more speed.

In most of the articles I have read it says that you will need Sky TV, since I don't have any TV at all that will be out.

Still fibre is not here yet, suppose to be here at the end of June, then it will take months to sort out the cabinets, so got a bit of time to make up my mind, but to be honest I am ok with ADSL, I would not mind a bit more speed, but at the moment it does what I want.

I don't need 40 megabits or any where near it, 8 would do me to be honest.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.

Edited by zyborg47 (Fri 06-Apr-12 10:43:47)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:40:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
]

Sky are quite commercially savvy, and if for example you live in a block of flats in a conservation area that prohibits dishes, they'd still like to sell you broadband and probably their new TV over IP product (NOW TV).

Now TV will be a separate thing, it will be skys version of Netflixs.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:42:36
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
The requirement to have TV was removed from the web page last week and it was also mentioned in one of the Corporate releases as well.

They done that quick, it have not been launched yet as far as I know, Sky must really be worried.

I suppose they know that the majority of people who want Sky TV have got it and now they got to try and make more money from other services, which is why they have come out with this Now TV services..

Adrian

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Apr-12 18:01:02
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
TalkTalk FTTC. I know i'll get shot down in flames but seriously their actual broadband is very very good....its their shoddy phone support which somehow makes everyone think their broadband is poor too - however their forum support is quite good. A few months ago a family member signed up to their FTTC service and gets line speeds 24 hrs a day. He downloads close to half a terrabyte of data a month on their unlimited package and TT have not blinked an eyelid. I understand TT throttle P2P traffic on a dynamic basis (ie depending on how congested your exchange is) so if you're into heavy p2p downloads then perhaps its not a good idea to join them but other than that, all their other protocols run full speed 24/7. [gets ready to dodge bullets]shocked

Lol, I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, too BUT

BT Infinity Option2

I get full sync rate throughput 24/7. There are no limits, I've downloaded multiple terrabytes since the line was installed in January and uploaded close to 1TB.

I found settings that work with uTorrent to circumvent the traffic management for the most part - posted them on BT forums but of course were removed.

Can't fault it! smile
If it were not for the imminent SKY announcement on fibre I'd have signed up with BT by now. And BT is a company I detest for all sorts of reasons going back to the dial-up era. True enough, they do traffic shape, but from what I've read here they don't cap. So they seem to be the best of a bad bunch now that Virgin have joined the Dark Side and started imposing daily caps.

Diane
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Apr-12 19:05:41
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Original press release said Sky TV needed, newer pre launch info says just sky talk. Have checked and the later is correct, i.e. phone and broadband no requirement for tv

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Apr-12 07:16:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Original press release said Sky TV needed, newer pre launch info says just sky talk. Have checked and the later is correct, i.e. phone and broadband no requirement for tv

cheers, as I said maybe because people who want Sky TV got it, they now got to find other ways of getting money.

But again it is a broadband and phone, getting stupid now that very few ISPs offer just broadband without phone.

Oh well I will stay as I am I think

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to