General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 08:38:09
Print Post

Re: TRULY unlimited fibre provider - do they exist?

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
But again it is a broadband and phone, getting stupid now that very few ISPs offer just broadband without phone.
I only know of the three biggies that don't. Do you know of more? The rest have broadband-only available, most of them as their prime offering.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Apr-12 05:07:07
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
In reply to a post by Kiggs:
My understanding is that congestion on the VM network is both a local issue i.e. the MUX (some areas are so congested that Cat C re-segmentation work has to be undertaken to alleviate the load, and/or under-provisioning of the VM CMTS which they will only upgrade when load reaches 80-90% and the majority of people begin to experience issues.

Presumably, to reduce load to an individual MUX additional fibre has to be blown which Fujitsu will bill VM for. Similarly, upgrading a CMTS will require new line cards which cost a considerable amount. Then there's the issue of LINX connections.

Makes you wonder where their monthly revenue goes..

branson and the marketing campaigns?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 08-Apr-12 08:23:37
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'm a Virgin Cable customer looking to leave them due to their recent intro of daytime bandwidth limits + STM and bandwidth shaping. All stuff that was absent when I signed up years ago when their adverts at that time promised no traffic shaping and no limits...

So I'm looking for an ISP with no FUP, STM, traffic shaping or any other such similar nonsense. I have FTTC (BT Infinity) available in my area so looking for a 40/10 package. Obviously BT themselves are out of the question since I've heard they throttle pretty badly during peak time and also have a FUP. So are there any other, perhaps smaller, providers who have what I'm looking for? Or am I looking for something that doesn't exist in which case perhaps my only hope is that SKY will be available in my area when they launch their FTTC product later this month...

Thanks, Diane
BT Infinity is unlimited

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leexgx
(learned) Mon 09-Apr-12 02:23:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BT Infinity is unlimited

are you sure of that

I thought the BT Infinity was 250GB month (unlimited)
and 100/150gb? for BT ADSL (unlimited)

from reports other users have done in other forums you get an email and they limit your connection at peak times to 1-2mb for 30day from when you hit hidden cap (no end of month billing reset), unless that has changed

Virgin media is still unlimited monthly usage to an point (1TB+ ish per month is there FUP, as i had an customer that hit it {HD 1080p downloads} they send you an letter or phone you) even with STM you can do what you want (but they seem to lack on upgrading the bandwidth on the nodes so issues like i am getting with packet loss and my friends and customers are getting as well, they Need QOS on the nodes to lower the speed to keep packet loss as close to none and latency low, like BT do)

Edited by leexgx (Mon 09-Apr-12 02:36:12)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Apr-12 09:15:59
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
BT Infinity is unlimited

are you sure of that

Then you were wrong. It's unlimited.

It says on my bill
You have an unlimited product and will never be charged for additional usage.

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Apr-12 09:21:50
Print Post

It used to be 300GB but that was removed a year ago. Traffic management in use on P2P at busy times.

All reports on these forums confirm that, with few reports of P2P slowdowns.

So your info is (a) wrong, and (b) well out of date smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-12 14:37:46
Print Post

BT Infinity is unlimited

are you sure of that

and 100/150gb? for BT ADSL (unlimited)

from reports other users have done in other forums you get an email and they limit your connection at peak times to 1-2mb for 30day from when you hit hidden cap (no end of month billing reset), unless that has changed

Virgin media is still unlimited monthly usage to an point (1TB+ ish per month is there FUP, as i had an customer that hit it {HD 1080p downloads} they send you an letter or phone you) even with STM you can do what you want (but they seem to lack on upgrading the bandwidth on the nodes so issues like i am getting with packet loss and my friends and customers are getting as well, they Need QOS on the nodes to lower the speed to keep packet loss as close to none and latency low, like BT do)

VM scrapped their FUP.

Basically its STM limit's which is metered twice a day.
Then there is peak time nntp/p2p throttling which isnt usage based it occurs at set times.

Any usage outside of those 2 things in theory is completely unmetered.
Standard User epyon
(committed) Mon 09-Apr-12 16:23:57
Print Post

As above you are completely wrong.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Apr-12 08:48:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
But again it is a broadband and phone, getting stupid now that very few ISPs offer just broadband without phone.
I only know of the three biggies that don't. Do you know of more? The rest have broadband-only available, most of them as their prime offering.

Tescos LLU is phone and broadband, no doubt there are others. The problem here is that people are going to get trapped because it is the cheapest to get broadband, but then they will find it is a pain in the neck and could be costly to move.

I still think that having my phone and broadband separate gives me the best value and flexibility, having it all in one is not always the best option.

when i am next on holiday from work. i am going to try and see if I will save money having my gas from one company and electric from another, I know someone who have done that and save money, but it is a pain in the neck to work out.

I have been told by a friend that Bt will give broadband only, but only if you phone them, but you don't get the offers.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User leexgx
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-12 10:24:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
BT Infinity is unlimited

are you sure of that

Then you were wrong. It's unlimited.

It says on my bill
You have an unlimited product and will never be charged for additional usage.

i am now aware of the removed limit that BT had for FUP,, 100gb and 250gb for ADSL and FTTC

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to