General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-Apr-12 05:58:16
Print Post

TRULY unlimited fibre provider - do they exist?

[link to this post]

I'm a Virgin Cable customer looking to leave them due to their recent intro of daytime bandwidth limits + STM and bandwidth shaping. All stuff that was absent when I signed up years ago when their adverts at that time promised no traffic shaping and no limits...

So I'm looking for an ISP with no FUP, STM, traffic shaping or any other such similar nonsense. I have FTTC (BT Infinity) available in my area so looking for a 40/10 package. Obviously BT themselves are out of the question since I've heard they throttle pretty badly during peak time and also have a FUP. So are there any other, perhaps smaller, providers who have what I'm looking for? Or am I looking for something that doesn't exist in which case perhaps my only hope is that SKY will be available in my area when they launch their FTTC product later this month...

Thanks, Diane
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 06:24:06
Print Post

Re: TRULY unlimited fibre provider - do they exist?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

TalkTalk FTTC. I know i'll get shot down in flames but seriously their actual broadband is very very good....its their shoddy phone support which somehow makes everyone think their broadband is poor too - however their forum support is quite good. A few months ago a family member signed up to their FTTC service and gets line speeds 24 hrs a day. He downloads close to half a terrabyte of data a month on their unlimited package and TT have not blinked an eyelid. I understand TT throttle P2P traffic on a dynamic basis (ie depending on how congested your exchange is) so if you're into heavy p2p downloads then perhaps its not a good idea to join them but other than that, all their other protocols run full speed 24/7. [gets ready to dodge bullets]shocked

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User jamieridler
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-12 07:18:08
Print Post

Doesnt Virgin Media only throttle P2P traffic? It doesnt touch or monitor anything else.
On top of that the new system has upstream and downstream monitored separately so going over the P2P limits on one will not affect the other and will not affect anything other than P2P speeds.

The rest of your internet traffic ie gaming, direct site downloads, audio/video streaming and such stuff is not affected at all. Other than that I don't think they have anything else in place.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 08:46:14
Print Post

the CIR on FTTC is 20M or sync rate, so there's a limit for a start.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 08:47:34
Print Post

[re: jamieridler] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jamieridler:
Doesnt Virgin Media only throttle P2P traffic?

No.

Traffic shaping applies to P2P and NNTP but is quite easy to evade.

They have always had downstream traffic limits on the lower packages and have now introduced them for all products. Upstream limits for all products came in with the upstream uplifts which is now almost complete all across the network. Exceed a limit and the speed is throtted back for 5 hours. This is by 75% on the low-end products and 50% for the higher speed packages.

If you are interested in the details they are published on the VM website.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 09:21:14
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Infinity traffic management is also just P2P these days, or they are lying in their KPI

The dynamic nature also applies

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 09:22:43
Print Post

You may just have to wait and see if Sky risk running their fibre with no management at all.

Why risk? Because leaving natural contention to manage things can be a nightmare for all, just look at the congestion problems some exchanges have currently.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 09:53:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
TalkTalk FTTC. I know i'll get shot down in flames but seriously their actual broadband is very very good....its their shoddy phone support which somehow makes everyone think their broadband is poor too - however their forum support is quite good. A few months ago a family member signed up to their FTTC service and gets line speeds 24 hrs a day. He downloads close to half a terrabyte of data a month on their unlimited package and TT have not blinked an eyelid. I understand TT throttle P2P traffic on a dynamic basis (ie depending on how congested your exchange is) so if you're into heavy p2p downloads then perhaps its not a good idea to join them but other than that, all their other protocols run full speed 24/7. [gets ready to dodge bullets]shocked

Much as I dislike Talk Talk because of previous history (they cancelled my account by mistake and wouldn't reconnect it unless I entered into a 12 month contract) I would probably go with them unless Sky comes up with an 80/20 product by the time I can get fibre in the next 3,4,5,6,.. (take your pick smile ) months.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 09:56:51
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I reckon Sky will only do the 2Meg upstream as a way of limiting the impact of P2P, without actually employing traffic management.

On its ADSL2+ it generally seems to give lower upstream compared to other ADSL2+ providers.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-Apr-12 10:04:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

on a Sky forum I saw people discussing how much they p2p each month and one person said that they can do 4TB easily and when Fibre comes they would be able to top 10TB per month without trying.

Well Sky can keep all those customers as far as I care as they must be having an impact on the local congestion with that sort of use.

If they do try and keep the unlimited and unmanaged package on the fibre they will have to try and do something about the people who are using more than a 1TB per month.

I expect Sky are unwilling or unable to do anything that upsets the marketing machine.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 10:07:56
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
the CIR on FTTC is 20M or sync rate, so there's a limit for a start.
I haven't a clue what that means, so I doubt if the OP has either smile.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 10:12:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Simple summary

The Openreach segment is designed to provide a certain minimum throughput (assuming you connect at a higher speed).

This helps to avoid the problems that Virgin Media has where one or two 100 Meg customers can dominate the bandwidth at a cabinet. Perhaps a news item I did recently did not express that in such clear terms.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 10:16:24
Print Post

you're only guaranteed 20M from the cab to the exchange, or the sync rate if lower. That's the CIR (Committed Information Rate). Hence 6 Gbit/s for a 288 user cab.

Goes up to 30M before too long.

So it's not "truly unlimited"

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 10:30:50
Print Post

Thanks Andrew.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 10:31:26
Print Post

Thanks Phil.
(But Mbps?)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 10:43:58
Print Post

not M, G - 288 circuits at 20 Mbits/s each = 5660 Mbits/s ie 6 Gbits/s hence 6 * 1G fibre. TTC.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 10:46:21
Print Post

Perhaps a news item I did recently did not express that in such clear terms

Greater explanation would be good - there's contention in the local loop to the cabinet on cable, as well as on the backhaul from the cabinet, isn't there ?

The (single) coax just tee's off to consumers so they share the physical wire not sure how the frequencies are sliced up on DOCSIS

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 11:01:53
Print Post

interesting the figures you posted do correct that misinformation as I thought it was uncontended, when in actual fact they meant just uncongested.

6gbit/sec for 288 users compared to what VM supply, is a clear indication why VM are struggling and have so much traffic management.

For VM its more like about 200mbit downstream and 40/60mbit upstream for 200-300 users.

Although I dont understand why xDSL providers need to rate limit upstream traffic as they have synchronous capacity?
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 11:21:03
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
For VM its more like about 200mbit downstream and 40/60mbit upstream for 200-300 users.

Yes it's the low capacity local pipes that are cable's Achilles heel.

With FTTC you are 1:1 on what can be a 40Mbps pipe back to fibre where it seems the contention ratio is still very generous indeed. With cable a single 100Mbps user can take over half of the local upstream available to 200+ other unlucky punters. IMO the new VM traffic management policies won't adequately address the issue of constant seeders on VPNs chewing up far too big a share of the local upstream yet it has still attracted a lot of negative comment and threats to move on to the imagined land of milk and honey which many are expecting from Sky FTTC if and when it arrives.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 11:59:59
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

the new STM they had a chance to address the very high upload limits but failed to do so, so I fully agree with you. Its clear VM's protocol management is ineffective, which leaves STM to do the job but as you say the limits are set too high to address the 24/7 seeders.

its so unbalanced that on VMs top tier the download usage limit is actually lower than the upload usage limit.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 04-Apr-12 12:00:28)

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 04-Apr-12 12:01:19
Print Post

To have a truly unlimited FTTC service you would be taking many hundreds per month. We do offer unlimited off-peak and weekends, which may suit if you are able to schedule heavy stuff during those times...

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 12:40:28
Print Post

DOCSIS is more time slicing than frequency slicing. Hence the differences in jitter present in Ofcom testing.

As bonding more channels becomes feasible things might improve, but for that to really work it would need more capacity from the TV side of things.

Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 12:41:38
Print Post

Sky.
Standard User DLS
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-12 12:56:42
Print Post

Do you have any data on the bandwidth of the exchange backhaul pipes?

TIA.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:11:00
Print Post

so in theory if a modem can send more data in a shorter amount of time (higher burst speeds) jitter 'could' improve as long as the higher burst speed doesnt also translate to more been sent aka torrenting 24/7. Assuming there is enough capacity for those higher speeds to work. Whilst someone sending lots of seperate smaller packets that couldnt be sent in one timeslot would be a hinderance as well. If VM were to bond extra US channels which gives more bandwidth capacity, does it also add timeslot capacity?

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 04-Apr-12 13:12:26)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:14:18
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

I don't have data on that, would depend which provider as Sky and Talk Talk will be backhauling FTTC on their own networks. There is some data around about how they provision those, T-T is below 100 kbits/s per consumer and they use 100M or 1G circuits so there's more bandwidth to an FTTC cab than to a Talk Talk LLU exchange in most cases.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:16:36
Print Post

so on a given frequency channel your cable modem contends with others on the same channel by time division.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:37:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
In reply to a post by jamieridler:
Doesnt Virgin Media only throttle P2P traffic?

No.

They have always had downstream traffic limits on the lower packages and have now introduced them for all products. Upstream limits for all products came in with the upstream uplifts which is now almost complete all across the network. Exceed a limit and the speed is throtted back for 5 hours. This is by 75% on the low-end products and 50% for the higher speed packages.

But to be fair last night I was hitting 60-70mbps even when STM'd on USENET - which is still good IMO

AS long as you can get your head around the fact that you get throttled back to 50mbps that's fine. Most people complain saying that 100 users get put back to 50 and 50 users get put back to what they had before.

In either case we all pay the same now so it makes no odds either way you look at it. Most of us had 50 before we had 100 so are we not all in the same boat?

use your 20GB limit - then between 3-4 theres nothing on STM I think. Then use 10GB.. Then do what you need to overnight.

I'd love to see how busy it is overnight. Surely if everyone shifts to overnight and it can take it then it can take it all the time? Or would they put STM on the night bit too?
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:40:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
on a Sky forum I saw people discussing how much they p2p each month and one person said that they can do 4TB easily and when Fibre comes they would be able to top 10TB per month without trying.

Well Sky can keep all those customers as far as I care as they must be having an impact on the local congestion with that sort of use.

If they do try and keep the unlimited and unmanaged package on the fibre they will have to try and do something about the people who are using more than a 1TB per month.

I expect Sky are unwilling or unable to do anything that upsets the marketing machine.

I do over 1TB a month in the early hours of the morning, should I be kicked off?

If the answer is yes go for it - would get me out of it!
Standard User nalla
(member) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:50:59
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

well im with infinity, and i dont seem to get shaped at all, i get 37mb, and i can d/l at 37mb morning noon and night, the problem with p2p is can you gaurantee you are traffic shaped, rather than the seeds are seeding to another peer and not you, p2p is very hit and miss, as for newsgroups thats another story, i get full speed no matter what i do and when i do it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:57:53
Print Post

That was my understanding

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 14:58:36
Print Post

Sky has 1G and 10Gig backhaul options

(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 15:08:34
Print Post

[re: nalla] [link to this post]

Well I hit my 20GB Limit at 1 minute pate 3PM and there dosen't seem to be any STM between 3-4. So I can get what I want done now and apart from e-mails and streaming Spotify I won't need to use my connection between 4-9.. smile Like i've said before if I do I still get 60-70mbps which is more than enough!

But I don't see why people can still carry on - surely they are trying to reduce the transfer amount?
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Apr-12 16:43:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I'd love to see how busy it is overnight. Surely if everyone shifts to overnight and it can take it then it can take it all the time? Or would they put STM on the night bit too?

You seem to be labouring under the illusion that every internet user is leeching 24x7 and that simply isn't the case. Only a small proportion download significant data volumes and only a proportion of those bother to schedule their downloads overnight.

As they make extensive use of shaping Plusnet are probably avoided by 24x7 leechers but even so I suspect that many ISPs traffic follows a similar pattern to theirs which they publish - http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performa...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 16:57:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
not M, G - 288 circuits at 20 Mbits/s each = 5660 Mbits/s ie 6 Gbits/s hence 6 * 1G fibre. TTC.
Exactly. It was "you're only guaranteed 20M from the cab to the exchange" that I was on about smile.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:47:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sky has 1G and 10Gig backhaul options

They also use multiples of 1Gb backhaul, I believe they go up to 4 of those before they purchase the 10Gb hardware either side.
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 18:08:16
Print Post

That's true and I am one of them - I do nothing until atleast midnght and I make sure I am done by 8am.

Tonight I have used nothing. I have a very fast speedtest but Sky Player is buffering every 10 seconds.. I switched to my backup ISP and it's running fine. SO I've videod it and sent the attachment to trading standards.

Say bye bye to buffering - my [censored]!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-Apr-12 19:23:45
Print Post

Many thanks to all the replies which have made for interesting reading!

TalkTalk FTTC. I know i'll get shot down in flames but seriously their actual broadband is very very good...

Thanks for that suggestion! TalkTalk, even from my limited understanding, seem to have a pretty bad rep. But in my desperation I've just checked them out. It appears they only currently offer 40/2 rather than the 40/10 I'm looking for. What's that all about? Anyway, for me that's a deal breaker. However it appears they will be offering 80/20 when it's available (are there any firm dates?).

The fascinating thing is that according to their 80/20 availability checker we will get 41/6.5 while our neighbours, three houses down, will get 57/13! Why such a large difference over a few metres? Are these accurate predictions or should they be taken with a grain of salt?

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

This is why I personally believe Virgin have introduced these daytime caps: they've doubled speeds but have they doubled their capacity?

You may just have to wait and see if Sky risk running their fibre with no management at all.

Why risk? Because leaving natural contention to manage things can be a nightmare for all, just look at the congestion problems some exchanges have currently.

I recently read an article on SKY's fibre network being far larger than Virgin's. Over 7 terabits/s was mentioned (see below). Hence my hopes they won't have to resort to these tactics.

Without getting into boring details, the new tech allows data to be transferred at seven terabits per second, meaning that in theory up to 4.6 million Sky Broadband customers could simultaneously stream a HD film over their broadband without a hiccup.

Also at the bottom of their fibre page (register your interest) they categorically state:
Does Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre have a usage policy?

Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre is a residential service that offers totally unlimited usage - there is no fair usage policy and no traffic management is applied to this service.
It doesn't get much clearer than that! Mind you, a few years ago Virgin had similar stuff in their ads. It took them quite a few years to break that promise... Anyway I hope people makes a permanent copy of the above promise by SKY. I'm sure if they break it they'll come out with all the same mealy-mouthed justifications that Virgin have. Having said that I'm more hopeful due their greater financial resources.
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:01:29
Print Post

No virgin Haven't doubled their capacity - they are doing this so that more people can be crammed on.

They can spend 110M doubling the speeds - why cant they just hold back and us ethat for upgrades to the network they already have?

VM dont care about upstream. They only want to be the fastest down - We will have 120/12 but I would rather have 80/20 but that's just me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:08:20
Print Post

I was led to believe the money was a mixture of upgrades to speeds and backhaul link improvements

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:09:14
Print Post

you've lost me.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:32:30
Print Post

No virgin Haven't doubled their capacity - they are doing this so that more people can be crammed on.

They can spend 110M doubling the speeds - why cant they just hold back and us ethat for upgrades to the network they already have?

VM dont care about upstream. They only want to be the fastest down - We will have 120/12 but I would rather have 80/20 but that's just me.

I second that about them not caring about upload, Used to be a 100meg user it was purely for the upload (then again my upload never went past 6meg so could of just stuck on 50 lol, New ISP FTTC 40/10 will be doing 80/20 end of this month cant wait just for the upload smile

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps + littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + Bigtv+ IPTV Package
Standard User ScubaGirl
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:35:12
Print Post

Everyone uses their computers, iPhones, laptops, tablets and anything else which can connect to the Internet in different ways. This is called freedom of expression.

Reading through this thread I find it really funny when someone say that Sky can keep someone who brags about downloading 10TB per month. Please remember that they need to have the storage space to keep it all on too. I suspect that it would become quite expensive to purchase all the necessary NAS drives and hard drives to fit in them every month.

If they intend to burn all the material off onto DVDs and Blu-Rays to sell to their friends, then very soon Trading Standards will be knocking on their doors with a search warrant.

A few months ago thinkbroadband posted an article showing that the average traffic generated on a UK broadband connection was 17GB per month. It also mentioned that this figure had grown exponentially in the past few years and was expected to continue to grow.

With the introduction of more HD Video streaming services every month or two, and more homes having multiple people downloading video content all the time, it is easy to understand that the volume of data transmitted over the Internet will continue to rise.

Currently we have TVs that can have 1080p video shown on them. In the next couple of years we shall see the introduction of the next TV format: Ultra High Definition Television.

This format is 4320p, also known as 8K, or what you see in the Cinema. If 1080i movies are around 3GB in size, just think what 4320p movies will do to your monthly usage!

Also at the bottom of their fibre page (register your interest) they categorically state:
Does Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre have a usage policy?

Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre is a residential service that offers totally unlimited usage - there is no fair usage policy and no traffic management is applied to this service.
It doesn't get much clearer than that!

Sure Sky could withdraw this policy, but they have had it for a few years now on the Sky Broadband Unlimited product.

Sky has been in a position to be able to invest in the infrastructure, where Virgin Media has had to spend money on getting all the different cable systems to work as one.

BTW has increased their backhaul (at least I hope they have), but like with VM, it just hasn't been enough and both companies continue to penalise their customer base for their slow improvements.

Early last year many Sky customers experienced issues with the backhaul being overloaded. This was put down to the introduction of Anytime+. The problem was fixed, even if it took a few months for some areas. Earlier this year Sky experienced a similar issue with a few different areas. This has been publicised on the Sky forum and dates have been given to show customers that it will be addressed.

From reading the reports of various people who have been priviledged to have Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre on the trial basis, I can say that no one appears to have had any issues with throttling or the backhaul to date.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:57:22
Print Post

[re: ScubaGirl] [link to this post]

Scubagirl, I think you'll find they're were on about upload on P2P, so you could only have 2TB of stored files, but if that 2TB was uploaded by 5 different people then that would be 10TB of uploads, thus they would not need an exponential amount of storage.

Edit: I could in theory fit 15 x 3TB drives in my server, who needs a NAS, luckily when I bought my last 2TB drive it was only £54

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 04-Apr-12 21:01:25)

Standard User ScubaGirl
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:32:42
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Scubagirl, I think you'll find they're were on about upload on P2P, so you could only have 2TB of stored files, but if that 2TB was uploaded by 5 different people then that would be 10TB of uploads, thus they would not need an exponential amount of storage.

Apologies, everyone thinks that torrents are the only source for high volumes of data. I am trying to show that more people are streaming video content. whether it be at home (which is the main issue) but I did forget to point out the possibility of streaming your own video (or music) content from your home to where ever you may be.

A few years back BT Retail used an idea in their advertisements related to streaming video content from your home to your hotel room whilst on holiday abroad. With all the current capping by most ISPs, this would be an impossible home IT solution.

There are devices that will allow you to stream live TV content from your own home over the Internet. Other people may wish to download a particular film of TV programme that they had recorded at home.

Currently those trialist on Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre have an upload limit of 2mb. Sky are testing the faster speeds with members of staff.

In a few years I predict that ADSL will become a thing of the past as everyone moves to FTTP or something better. Upload speeds could then exceed 600mb.

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Edit: I could in theory fit 15 x 3TB drives in my server, who needs a NAS, luckily when I bought my last 2TB drive it was only £54

It would still be expensive at around £120 per drive at current prices.
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-12 23:03:11
Print Post

You are pirvvy to better information so you may well be right Andrew, but all the customers know is that it's to double speeds nothing more.

I guess it must be.. I refuse to believe DOCSIS 3 needs investment to go beyond 100mbps - This from the company who 3 months ago said they could download the entire Oxford dictionary in 1 second. How if it can't do it in 1 second..

I hope the 110M is to improve backhaul and the speed lift is just the flick of a switch (which it must be as most people get suckered into paying for install fee but others who ring up CR get it at the flick of a switch
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-12 02:00:27
Print Post

VM are adding new channels to each DOCSIS (which is the prime bottleneck), so far tho only new downstream channels have appeared on end user's services, but the bulk of congestion is on the upstream, there is rumours of upstream bonding coming soon but so far there hasnt been any public occurances of this happening but of course noone has been fully upgraded yet. The users getting upgraded early have not yet had upload speeds increased because VM wont do that until capacity in the area has been upgraded. Some areas have had no capacity upgrades at all yet but have had some users upgraded partially (down speeds but not up).

One should be able to upload quite a lot faily easy on VM assuming isnt too heavy congestion as the upload limits on their STM are very generous and dont apply 24/7. Not sure who said they can upload 10tb on sky tho? especially on adsl upload speeds. eg. a 2mbit upload 24/7 can push only 600gig of data in a month.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Thu 05-Apr-12 19:57:22
Print Post

Lol, I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, too BUT

BT Infinity Option2

I get full sync rate throughput 24/7. There are no limits, I've downloaded multiple terrabytes since the line was installed in January and uploaded close to 1TB.

I found settings that work with uTorrent to circumvent the traffic management for the most part - posted them on BT forums but of course were removed.

Can't fault it! smile

BT Infinity #2 - 4.4MBps on P2P ¦ Full 40/10 Sync ¦ 81/20 Attainable ¦ Benchmarked 22ms Ping ¦ 2ms Jitter ¦ 37.3Mbit Down ¦ 9.2Mbit Up
BT / Openreach - You've finally done well. Very well indeed.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-12 21:07:59
Print Post

even if there is unlimited, you will pay a high price for it, Fibre is already expensive compared to what you get with ADSL and unless you really want the high speed of fibre or got a really slow ADSL service, then I think it is best to stay put.

I been looking at fibre services, no good looking at Sky unless you got Sky TV as you will not get Sky fibre without it, but to be honest none of them don't offer what I want for the price, I certainly would not go with Talk Talk.

so I will be staying as I am for a while at least unless things change.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 05-Apr-12 22:49:06
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
even if there is unlimited, you will pay a high price for it, Fibre is already expensive compared to what you get with ADSL and unless you really want the high speed of fibre or got a really slow ADSL service
On BT is is pretty much the same price.
I been looking at fibre services, no good looking at Sky unless you got Sky TV as you will not get Sky fibre without it
That is unclear, and in my opinion unlikely. There is no mention of needing TV on the current pre-launch Sky Fibre page, even in the small print that says you have to have Sky line rental and calls.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Apr-12 23:04:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That is unclear, and in my opinion unlikely. There is no mention of needing TV on the current pre-launch Sky Fibre page, even in the small print that says you have to have Sky line rental and calls.

Sky are quite commercially savvy, and if for example you live in a block of flats in a conservation area that prohibits dishes, they'd still like to sell you broadband and probably their new TV over IP product (NOW TV).

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Apr-12 00:17:37
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

My understanding is that congestion on the VM network is both a local issue i.e. the MUX (some areas are so congested that Cat C re-segmentation work has to be undertaken to alleviate the load, and/or under-provisioning of the VM CMTS which they will only upgrade when load reaches 80-90% and the majority of people begin to experience issues.

Presumably, to reduce load to an individual MUX additional fibre has to be blown which Fujitsu will bill VM for. Similarly, upgrading a CMTS will require new line cards which cost a considerable amount. Then there's the issue of LINX connections.
Standard User simon194
(learned) Fri 06-Apr-12 00:37:41
Print Post

even if there is unlimited, you will pay a high price for it, Fibre is already expensive compared to what you get with ADSL and unless you really want the high speed of fibre or got a really slow ADSL service
I been looking at fibre services, no good looking at Sky unless you got Sky TV as you will not get Sky fibre without it

The requirement to have TV was removed from the web page last week and it was also mentioned in one of the Corporate releases as well.
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:21:11
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kiggs:
My understanding is that congestion on the VM network is both a local issue i.e. the MUX (some areas are so congested that Cat C re-segmentation work has to be undertaken to alleviate the load, and/or under-provisioning of the VM CMTS which they will only upgrade when load reaches 80-90% and the majority of people begin to experience issues.

Presumably, to reduce load to an individual MUX additional fibre has to be blown which Fujitsu will bill VM for. Similarly, upgrading a CMTS will require new line cards which cost a considerable amount. Then there's the issue of LINX connections.

Makes you wonder where their monthly revenue goes..
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:39:45
Print Post

But there is bound to be some difference, they are not going to offer high speed fibre for the same price without sacrificing something compared to ADSL.

Like the ISp I am with, the ADSL service I am on is unlimited, no traffic management and no profiling for a pretty decent price, not cheap but decent.. If I went for their fibre service, I would either pay the same and still get less as it is not unlimited or I could pay more but I still get less than I do now, just for a bit more speed, ok a lot more speed.

In most of the articles I have read it says that you will need Sky TV, since I don't have any TV at all that will be out.

Still fibre is not here yet, suppose to be here at the end of June, then it will take months to sort out the cabinets, so got a bit of time to make up my mind, but to be honest I am ok with ADSL, I would not mind a bit more speed, but at the moment it does what I want.

I don't need 40 megabits or any where near it, 8 would do me to be honest.

Adrian

Edited by zyborg47 (Fri 06-Apr-12 10:43:47)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:40:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
]

Sky are quite commercially savvy, and if for example you live in a block of flats in a conservation area that prohibits dishes, they'd still like to sell you broadband and probably their new TV over IP product (NOW TV).

Now TV will be a separate thing, it will be skys version of Netflixs.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:42:36
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
The requirement to have TV was removed from the web page last week and it was also mentioned in one of the Corporate releases as well.

They done that quick, it have not been launched yet as far as I know, Sky must really be worried.

I suppose they know that the majority of people who want Sky TV have got it and now they got to try and make more money from other services, which is why they have come out with this Now TV services..

Adrian

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Apr-12 18:01:02
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:

Lol, I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, too BUT

BT Infinity Option2

I get full sync rate throughput 24/7. There are no limits, I've downloaded multiple terrabytes since the line was installed in January and uploaded close to 1TB.

I found settings that work with uTorrent to circumvent the traffic management for the most part - posted them on BT forums but of course were removed.

Can't fault it! smile
If it were not for the imminent SKY announcement on fibre I'd have signed up with BT by now. And BT is a company I detest for all sorts of reasons going back to the dial-up era. True enough, they do traffic shape, but from what I've read here they don't cap. So they seem to be the best of a bad bunch now that Virgin have joined the Dark Side and started imposing daily caps.

Diane
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Apr-12 19:05:41
Print Post

Original press release said Sky TV needed, newer pre launch info says just sky talk. Have checked and the later is correct, i.e. phone and broadband no requirement for tv

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Apr-12 07:16:58
Print Post

Original press release said Sky TV needed, newer pre launch info says just sky talk. Have checked and the later is correct, i.e. phone and broadband no requirement for tv

cheers, as I said maybe because people who want Sky TV got it, they now got to find other ways of getting money.

But again it is a broadband and phone, getting stupid now that very few ISPs offer just broadband without phone.

Oh well I will stay as I am I think

Adrian

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 08:38:09
Print Post

But again it is a broadband and phone, getting stupid now that very few ISPs offer just broadband without phone.
I only know of the three biggies that don't. Do you know of more? The rest have broadband-only available, most of them as their prime offering.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Apr-12 05:07:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kiggs:

Makes you wonder where their monthly revenue goes..

branson and the marketing campaigns?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 08-Apr-12 08:23:37
Print Post

I'm a Virgin Cable customer looking to leave them due to their recent intro of daytime bandwidth limits + STM and bandwidth shaping. All stuff that was absent when I signed up years ago when their adverts at that time promised no traffic shaping and no limits...

So I'm looking for an ISP with no FUP, STM, traffic shaping or any other such similar nonsense. I have FTTC (BT Infinity) available in my area so looking for a 40/10 package. Obviously BT themselves are out of the question since I've heard they throttle pretty badly during peak time and also have a FUP. So are there any other, perhaps smaller, providers who have what I'm looking for? Or am I looking for something that doesn't exist in which case perhaps my only hope is that SKY will be available in my area when they launch their FTTC product later this month...

Thanks, Diane
BT Infinity is unlimited

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User leexgx
(learned) Mon 09-Apr-12 02:23:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BT Infinity is unlimited

are you sure of that

I thought the BT Infinity was 250GB month (unlimited)
and 100/150gb? for BT ADSL (unlimited)

from reports other users have done in other forums you get an email and they limit your connection at peak times to 1-2mb for 30day from when you hit hidden cap (no end of month billing reset), unless that has changed

Virgin media is still unlimited monthly usage to an point (1TB+ ish per month is there FUP, as i had an customer that hit it {HD 1080p downloads} they send you an letter or phone you) even with STM you can do what you want (but they seem to lack on upgrading the bandwidth on the nodes so issues like i am getting with packet loss and my friends and customers are getting as well, they Need QOS on the nodes to lower the speed to keep packet loss as close to none and latency low, like BT do)

Edited by leexgx (Mon 09-Apr-12 02:36:12)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Apr-12 09:15:59
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
BT Infinity is unlimited

are you sure of that

Then you were wrong. It's unlimited.

It says on my bill
You have an unlimited product and will never be charged for additional usage.

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Apr-12 09:21:50
Print Post

It used to be 300GB but that was removed a year ago. Traffic management in use on P2P at busy times.

All reports on these forums confirm that, with few reports of P2P slowdowns.

So your info is (a) wrong, and (b) well out of date smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-12 14:37:46
Print Post

BT Infinity is unlimited

are you sure of that

and 100/150gb? for BT ADSL (unlimited)

from reports other users have done in other forums you get an email and they limit your connection at peak times to 1-2mb for 30day from when you hit hidden cap (no end of month billing reset), unless that has changed

Virgin media is still unlimited monthly usage to an point (1TB+ ish per month is there FUP, as i had an customer that hit it {HD 1080p downloads} they send you an letter or phone you) even with STM you can do what you want (but they seem to lack on upgrading the bandwidth on the nodes so issues like i am getting with packet loss and my friends and customers are getting as well, they Need QOS on the nodes to lower the speed to keep packet loss as close to none and latency low, like BT do)

VM scrapped their FUP.

Basically its STM limit's which is metered twice a day.
Then there is peak time nntp/p2p throttling which isnt usage based it occurs at set times.

Any usage outside of those 2 things in theory is completely unmetered.
Standard User epyon
(committed) Mon 09-Apr-12 16:23:57
Print Post

As above you are completely wrong.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Apr-12 08:48:02
Print Post

I only know of the three biggies that don't. Do you know of more? The rest have broadband-only available, most of them as their prime offering.

Tescos LLU is phone and broadband, no doubt there are others. The problem here is that people are going to get trapped because it is the cheapest to get broadband, but then they will find it is a pain in the neck and could be costly to move.

I still think that having my phone and broadband separate gives me the best value and flexibility, having it all in one is not always the best option.

when i am next on holiday from work. i am going to try and see if I will save money having my gas from one company and electric from another, I know someone who have done that and save money, but it is a pain in the neck to work out.

I have been told by a friend that Bt will give broadband only, but only if you phone them, but you don't get the offers.

Adrian

Standard User leexgx
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-12 10:24:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
BT Infinity is unlimited

are you sure of that

Then you were wrong. It's unlimited.

It says on my bill
You have an unlimited product and will never be charged for additional usage.

i am now aware of the removed limit that BT had for FUP,, 100gb and 250gb for ADSL and FTTC

Standard User ss_4
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 20:58:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
No.

How would you evade the traffic shaping?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 21:00:17
Print Post

[re: ss_4] [link to this post]

Encryption.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to