General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevo69
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:21:31
Print Post

Re: Cabinet info?

[re: stevo69] [link to this post]

When an area is being enabled for FTTC do they use the existing cabinets or install new ones? The reason i ask is that in a previous post, i was told that fibre was not being run to the cabinet i am connected to. But now a new concrete base with plastic ducts poking out has been layed directly opposite the cabinet i am connected to. Good news i hope!!
Steve.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:26:54
Print Post

Yes, that's good news.
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/fttx.html

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User zag164
(learned) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:27:40
Print Post

If it looks something like this then you should be in business. This photo was taken on 23rd March and the cabinet went live for orders on 30th May.

http://postimage.org/image/9zrbm5ao3/

Best of luck!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stevo69
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:33:33
Print Post

[re: zag164] [link to this post]

Thats exactly what it looks like, they have put the new base the other the side of the road though,about 6 ft from a pole, so fingers crossed!
Steve
Standard User zag164
(learned) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:37:09
Print Post

Once the cabinet is in UK Power Networks will come to connect it up to the electricity supply. Then Openreach will come back to commission it.

Keep an eye on http://www.roadworks.org for scheduled roadworks and the BTW checker.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Edited by zag164 (Thu 21-Jun-12 22:37:43)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jun-12 23:37:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by stevo69:
Thats exactly what it looks like, they have put the new base the other the side of the road though,about 6 ft from a pole, so fingers crossed!

Mine went in the other day - today they're running duct under the road to get the cables to the old PCP cab !

James - be* pro - 16.8mbps sync - BQM
FTTC cab arrived 18-jun-2012 (due Mar 2011) - Openreach estimate 44.6Mbps / 6.5Mbps
Standard User stevo69
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-12 22:20:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Is there a rough guide as to how long activation can take once a new cabinet has been installed,as my exchange (kings lynn) has a forecast date of June 2012.
Thanks, Steve.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Sat 23-Jun-12 01:15:36
Print Post

Know one knows as it varies greatly from a few weeks to months and longer.

Usual steps for cabinet enablement
Cab instal
Trench to connect pcp to fttc cab
Electricity company to bring main's power to the fttc cab
Openreach engineer to connect everything in the fttc cab
Testing occurs then the cab finally goes live for orders.

In the above list alot of delays can happen as teams move from one cabinet to another, so any delays means that the cab falls down the list to when they can return.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User stevo69
(newbie) Mon 25-Jun-12 22:20:04
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Shiney new cabinet has been installed today so time for another question!
Just looking to see if you people with the info could give me a rough indication of what speeds can be expected! From the cabinet to my house is 0.5 mile, i know it would only be an estimate,but after be on 1meg since i've had broadband it would be nice to think about what might be available. Also, i'm with Sky at present for my broadband,who have been ok,but if anyone has any input about them or other providers that would be great.
Thanks, Steve
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Mon 25-Jun-12 23:42:32
Print Post

800 meters depending on the quaility of the copper most likely about 30Mbps down and proably 3-4 up though try your number if its a BT line, on the BT wholesale checker as it will give you a FTTC speed predection.

If its not showing yet it should in the coming weeks as the cabinet goes live.

Both Sky and BT do unlimited deals for their FTTC service- is rumours that sky will increase their upload cap, what deal all depends on how much you are willing to pay and what usage limits you need.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Mon 25-Jun-12 23:44:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to