General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Oct-12 00:58:19
Print Post

Re: Cabinet info?

[re: stevo69] [link to this post]

NIce! but it looks like Sky put you on the old 40/2 profile which they do with everyone in a week or so that should rise to 10mbps.

Don't fret it's automated and they know about it. You should have 10mbps upload on the lower package
Standard User stevo69
(learned) Thu 18-Oct-12 21:59:30
Print Post

Thanks for that,just checked it again and now getting 4.9mb/s up.
Steve.
Standard User stevo69
(learned) Wed 24-Oct-12 23:50:36
Print Post

After the first week connection is showing 24440 kbps down and 6028 kbps up.These stats are from the sky router as i hav'nt hacked the openreach box(any tips or an idiots guide!?) It seems that as upload speed goes up download speed goes down,is this the norm?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stevo69
(learned) Thu 25-Oct-12 22:22:47
Print Post

Both download and upload connection speeds have gone down a bit today. Does the quality of cable from the master socket to the openreach modem have much of an impact on things?,the engineer said the existing cable would do the job. The cable in question is about 10 mtrs long and flat in profile.
Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Oct-12 22:46:58
Print Post

That sounds wrong. Very wrong.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User stevo69
(learned) Thu 25-Oct-12 22:53:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your opinion RobertoS, best i get on the blower to sky tomorrow then.He did'nt even fix the openreach moden to the wall, which i have since done as it was getting so hot,much better now.Is this a common problem? it's a Huawei HG612?
Thanks again,Steve.
Standard User simon194
(member) Fri 26-Oct-12 00:21:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by stevo69:
Both download and upload connection speeds have gone down a bit today. Does the quality of cable from the master socket to the openreach modem have much of an impact on things?,the engineer said the existing cable would do the job. The cable in question is about 10 mtrs long and flat in profile.
Thanks.

I changed the standard 2m(?) flat cable that came with the modem for a CAT5 cable and my sync speed went from 69 Mbps to 74 Mbps, so even the short one has some effect.
Standard User stevo69
(learned) Fri 26-Oct-12 00:28:33
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Simon,is this something i should do myself or ring Sky to get Openreach back to do it?
Thanks,Steve.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Oct-12 07:29:40
Print Post

Sky, to get Openreach.

The modem is supposed to be connected using the short cable that comes with it. If you want it further away than that from the master then the free with installation "Home Wiring Solution", (Data Extension Cable), should have been ordered. Most ISPs order that just in case, as it costs nothing.

I believe the standing instructions to the engineers by Openreach are to wall mount it, though not doing is allowed if you request it. The early ones did tend to self-destruct from heat, the Type B, (see the label underneath), is usually OK. You should have a Type B as the early ones were supposed to be replaced free and not re-issued.

The router can be any valid ethernet distance away from the modem.

Sounds like another newbie engineer did it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 26-Oct-12 08:10:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It might be more convenient for Stevo to try one of these, just get the shortest one which will do the job - should work just as well as a data extension kit, if not better and may save taking a day off work.

Edit: This presumes that the master socket is installed correctly, as if it's not that will be causing problems to. master should be the first thing on the line into the house, all extensions should be run off the filtered terminals inside the face plate.

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 26-Oct-12 08:12:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to