General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:42:36
Print Post

Whole street can get Infinity apart from me?

[link to this post]

I live in Reading and my exchange has been enabled for Fibre but BT keep saying I can't get it. They explained my cabinet hasn't been upgraded. So I checked the addresses of the next door neighbours in a terraced house and all the addresses on adjacent streets and they are all able to get Infinity. I called up BT asking them to double check but they said that the information is accurate and there's no way for there to be a mistake.

What gives? Are BT correct in saying I can't get it or is there a mistake in their system. It absolutely baffles my mind that in a row of houses and on the rest of the estate, every single one of them can get Inifinity apart from mine.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:44:40
Print Post

Re: Whole street can get Infinity apart from me?

[re: bellissimo] [link to this post]

it does seem odd. What does the number checker say for your line ?

Can you see physically if you are fed from the same place as neighbours - eg off the same pole.

Who is your line rental with, and current ISP ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:52:33
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I'm on Sky so number checker doesn't work so I've been using the address checker. And just to make sure, I typed in all of the houses on my row and adjacent street as well as houses a bit further out in the estate - it seems I'm the only one who can't get Infinity.

I'll have a look to see where the line is going to but I fear it won't make any difference because BT won't process the order because they either can't or won't if their system says 'no'. The strange thing is, when I first moved in here (it's a shared house I rent) last November I was able to run the checker and it recognised the address and said Infinity available from March 2012. So it came to March 2012 but my address disappeared from their online checker. Repeatedly tried to reach out to BT via Twitter and on the phone but it's all been a waste of time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(learned) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:57:34
Print Post

Have you tried other Phone Numbers in the street, as opposed to Addresses?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:00:29
Print Post

fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-options/sky-fibre-broadband/

The solution is imminent

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:03:09
Print Post

Surely the Sky solution would just be the same - it's all using BT lines and if BT are saying I can't get Infinity then Sky will surely say the same.
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:04:52
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I don't know anyone else's phone number on this street - should it matter?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:08:07
Print Post

BT Infinity is the BT Retail service offered using Openreach fibre to the cabinet. Sky wil lalso use the Openreach FTTC service up to their connection to the exchange.

Sky know your line number and know you're connected to their service so it will be far easier for them to sort it.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:24:57
Print Post

Sky also saying I can't get it yet. Desperate to get a faster line - not had a 3Mb line since 2006 maybe even before that! I've been used to 20Mb for several years now and before that I had 8Mb. But having moved to Reading late last year I've been stuck with miserable 3Mb which barely streams YouTube videos. Incredibly frustrated that I even considered adding an unlimited data package to my mobile contract as that gives me a faster connection than my ADSL line does.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 11:14:26
Print Post

I would wait till it's launched and stick at it with Sky and an escalation. Can't see you getting more joy here than from an ISP.

If it's a really big deal order a new line with simultaneous provide of BT Infinity smile

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Fri 06-Apr-12 11:15:16)

Standard User robvxr
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 11:36:52
Print Post

It's possible you could be on a different cab from everyone else on your street. Just depends when your house was connected to the phone network which could have meant that there was no more room in the cabinet

BTBroadband

My Broadband Speed Test
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Fri 06-Apr-12 11:54:33
Print Post

Please PM me your address including postcode and I'll see what I can find out for you!

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 12:12:56
Print Post

[re: robvxr] [link to this post]

Agree that it's technically possible but the chances of it happening I find are very low. I am informed by BT that the Exchange I am connected to is fibre enabled so this leaves the cabinet. So unless my house is the only one connected to this cabinet which isn't fibre enabled then I'm going to chalk it up to records not being accurate at BT's end.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Apr-12 14:30:06
Print Post

Have you found out what cab you are connected to?

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 97040D 35659U
Sync 39999D 9995U
Attenuation: 9.6 SNR: 22.6
Line Length 300meters
Standard User paulb100
(learned) Fri 06-Apr-12 14:47:15
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

just a stab in the dark... but, i think it may be because your phone line is through SKY (if it is) and may no longer be on BT's system as it now belongs to sky? just a guess like I say... your sky phone & broadband is probably MPF LLU and I wonder if its related, like u say the phone number checker wont work cos its not on BT or BT WLR3, its on SKY's own network & hardware (SVBN) - I know the address checker should still work perhaps but that may be part of the problem here, sky have the phone number for that address, as its full MPF LLU the address also may have been removed from BTo database

I remember similar thing when your on Talk Talk and you enter phone number into ISPs websites to see if you can get broadband and it says unavailable or number not found because talk talk own the number and looked like it was removed from BTo's database.

there is also the possibility that you (for whatever reason) are fed from a different cab, although unlikely if every house in the street can get it. (which ash already been suggested)

are any of your neighbours on Sky Phone line and does their address come up trumps for fibre?

Like I say I may be wrong and just putting it out there

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat

Edited by paulb100 (Fri 06-Apr-12 14:48:36)

Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 15:08:18
Print Post

Cables all seem to join up in the same place. I'm on the same cabinet as the rest of my row.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Apr-12 18:12:42
Print Post

[re: robvxr] [link to this post]

It's possible you could be on a different cab from everyone else on your street. Just depends when your house was connected to the phone network which could have meant that there was no more room in the cabinet

Hush now. How is your ill informed guess work going to help the OP ?

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Apr-12 18:13:40
Print Post

Which street is it ?

Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 18:18:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Rossby
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 07-Apr-12 18:09:44
Print Post

It wouldn't surprise me if its an error in bt's data, I've seen plenty in the spreadsheet data which looks like errors.

Perhaps it would be worth contacting the op of this thread http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4096502-cab... he seems to have got a similar problem resolved.

Posted from a boat on the Norfolk Broads smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-12 08:47:48
Print Post

So your line is off Reading South exchange, your cab is just around the corner, as you drive out of the estate on the right. (Just before the Shinfield Players Theatre).

There is 100% no doubt, that you can get FTTC, I fitted the first FTTC connection in Reading, September before last, off of your cabinet.

Find an ISP who will actually listen to you, and have them raise the order.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-12 08:49:08
Print Post

The OP is off cab 68 Reading South.

Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 10:57:00
Print Post

BT engineer has visited this morning to do tests on my phone line and get me activated on the BT network for BT phone and broadband. How long do you think I need to wait before trying to order Infinity? The online checker is still saying the number isn't recognised and when I call up BT they say that it's not available in my area period which is completely inaccurate seeing as the BT engineer has confirmed that Infinity is available for this housing estate.

If BT still say I can't get Infinity, does anyone know how I can escalate the issue? Is their a department I can call, email or write to?

I've just seen the service upped to 80Mbps which makes me want it even more. But right now I would settle for anything quicker than the 4Mbps that I'll be able to get once ADSL is activated.
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 17:38:41
Print Post

BT Infinity line checker is now recognising my new BT phone number but it's still saying no Inifinity?! I haven't been able to escalate the issue to BT Wholesale because they don't take calls from consumers. BT sales and customer services won't do anything either. I've resorted to complaining on Twitter but I doubt that will get me anywhere seeing as they never spotted the issue the first time I submitted details to them. What does one have to do to get BT to correct their mistake?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Apr-12 18:04:11
Print Post

BT engineer has visited this morning to do tests on my phone line and get me activated on the BT network for BT phone and broadband.

That was my mate Phil, I was the engineer he rang and asked about this issue.

It doesn't help you much with your issue. I'd suggest giving it a few more days, and if not recognised then,
why not try an e-mail to the CEO ?

Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 18:11:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
BT engineer has visited this morning to do tests on my phone line and get me activated on the BT network for BT phone and broadband.

That was my mate Phil, I was the engineer he rang and asked about this issue.

It doesn't help you much with your issue. I'd suggest giving it a few more days, and if not recognised then,
why not try an e-mail to the CEO ?

Yes, he did mention that you recognised the issue from this forum! Thanks for trying at least. I'll check each day and if nothing new develops by the middle of next week then I'll drop Mr Livingston an email.

At least the BT ADSL service is a little quicker than what I got with Sky - it's downloading at around 520KB/s.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Apr-12 18:17:51
Print Post

OK, good luck, keep us posted.

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 18-Apr-12 22:34:46
Print Post

When an engineer spots an error in BTs data such as the one in this thread , is there a procedure in place to correct the error?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Apr-12 00:01:55
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
When an engineer spots an error in BTs data such as the one in this thread , is there a procedure in place to correct the error?
Apparently not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Apr-12 19:58:47
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

No, nothing an Openreach engineer can do.

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 20-Apr-12 22:47:33
Print Post

That's just plain crazy, your the only guys that can really spot these errors, eventually the database will become so incorrect it'll be next to useless.

I've seen dozens of errors in the spreadsheet just for our area alone.

Standard User nelix01
(committed) Sat 21-Apr-12 08:25:48
Print Post

I have a friend who lives in a shared house. He has his own line taken from a spare pair from the main line into the house (according to his BT eng mate who installed the line)

On the BTW checker the main line can get FTTP however, on his line he can only order ADSL2+. He lives in Cornwall so has asked the Super Fast Cornwall project if there is anything that be done to check it out and I believe they have asked BTW to check the records/routing etc.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Apr-12 09:25:22
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

I seem to remember reading not long ago that FTTP can only be supplied in conjunction with one line at the premises. Makes sense from one point of view, as running fibre isn't cheap, and there is a shortage of resources - with plenty of other premises wanting it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User nelix01
(committed) Sat 21-Apr-12 10:18:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Isn't 1 fibre split to serve up to 32 premises? If so would not not be easy to provide a second FTTP connection as the main work would already have been completed?
Standard User simon194
(regular) Sat 21-Apr-12 10:25:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I seem to remember reading not long ago that FTTP can only be supplied in conjunction with one line at the premises. Makes sense from one point of view, as running fibre isn't cheap, and there is a shortage of resources - with plenty of other premises wanting it.

I remember reading that. The only option for flats in FTTP only areas will probably be FTTB but I'm not too sure how committed Openreach are to providing that sort of setup because it only gets a cursory mention on their website.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Apr-12 13:54:21
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nelix01:
Isn't 1 fibre split to serve up to 32 premises? If so would not not be easy to provide a second FTTP connection as the main work would already have been completed?
That sounds likely.

Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 12:20:42
Print Post

The circus act continues. Infinity was showing as available 48 hours of my BT line being activated. Proving that the systems were incorrect. I thought this would be the end of the disastrous experience of dealing with BT but nope there's more opportunities to mess up. When placing the order for Infinity last week, they told me they were having an appointment system problem and I would get a call back in 24 hours which never happened - my order is still pending. So I complained to the BT Care team on Twitter who called me on Sunday only to patch me through to someone to place the booking. I thought yes this is it! But no. Their systems are still saying they can't book an appointment.

So despite all that I am still stuck and BT are still dragging out this hilarious situation. Well it's not so funny anymore and I've run out of patience. Given BT every opportunity to sort this out. I've summarised events in an email to Ian Livingston and I have also submitted a complaint to the Ombudsman Services. Not sure if anything will happen as a result but it's worth a try.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Mon 23-Apr-12 13:25:00
Print Post

Have to agree BT OR can be a right pain, my brothers had no broadband since 29 February, if their engineer doesn't fix it tomorrow I will be emailing Ian as well - they nicked his line and cut him off, then when they reconnected him it was on a Dacs line.

Anyway that's a story for another thread should things not get fixed tomorrow.

Good luck with yours.

Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 20:26:52
Print Post

Having failed to get the problem resolved through the BT Care team via Twitter, I emailed Ian Livingston - CEO of BT, who got back to me very quickly and escalated the issue to his staff in order to get this sorted. A member of their Executive Level Complaints team got in touch yesterday and are working on the problem, with the aim to get an appointment arranged by tomorrow with an engineer visit for Saturday (or at least that is what I have requested/demanded).

If the CEO of BT himself can't make this happen then my next email to him will be to ask him to send me the instructions and a toolkit and I'll go and do it myself.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Apr-12 18:58:50
Print Post

Good luck.

If you do get an appointment for this Saturday, it won't be me, I'm off that day. smile

Keep us posted.

Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 19:11:23
Print Post

Maybe next weekend then! I've had an update to say it's going to be another 7 days before I can even place my order. Clearly there's something seriously wrong with the system if it's taking this long - I wish I knew the details as IT systems are my thing.
Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Thu 26-Apr-12 19:43:59
Print Post

Been quite interested in this thread, as I have a very similar problem. Whole street can get FTTC, yet the wholesale checker and BT site say no to 10 houses on one side of our street, including ours. All these houses and the houses opposite that can get FTTC are on the same cabinet. I also emailed Ian Livingston after a shambles with their call centres.

After many emails they confirmed we can actually get the service (Openreach confirmed this) but the checker says no. They provided a workaround, however with the 80/20 update we've been once again knocked off it. I emailed once again and head of complaints returned an email saying they were looking into it. Strangely enough that was 2 weeks ago and nothing has come of it.

I gave up with BT in the meantime and found out Sky were available for FTTC (funny considering BT themselves wont let me!) so I ordered with them. Talktalk also say we can get FTTC, very odd. Hope you have better luck, I understand the frustration with being told no when everyone else around can!
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 12:32:16
Print Post

So I eventually managed to get an appointment arranged for today (Saturday 5 May) to have an engineer enable Infinity on my line. Appointment is 8am-1pm. Given its now 12:30pm, I suspected something had gone wrong. I checked the online ordering system which had been saying 5 May for a few days now only to find it has now been moved to 22 May.

I actually have no words to describe how I feel about BT right now. The sheer incompetence of this entire process leaves a very bitter taste. Haven't had a single phone call or email to say that this appointment was cancelled and if I hadn't checked the online system I wouldn't have been any wiser. Absolutely disgusted given that this is the best service I can get since this is the 'Executive Level Complaints' team who supposedly have more power to get things sorted but as far as I'm concerned are just as incompetent as the rest of the organisation.

Why is it so damn difficult for BT to get their act together.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 05-May-12 12:45:12
Print Post

Have you considered trying other ISPs such as sky or talktalk who may have no issues supplying a service?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 12:49:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

There is http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/05/bt-issu...

which means installs can get pushed back in some areas, as they try to keep lifeline voice services running.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 12:56:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I can assure you there is no flooding or even risk of flooding here in Reading.
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 13:00:38
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

BT have a messed up database which means other providers will have the exact same problem with 'seeing' my address as being fibre-ready. If BT can't sort this mess out then I have even less of a chance with anyone else. I don't think the other providers have fully rolled out their services to allow people to order anyway.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-May-12 13:08:32
Print Post

Which BT? BT Retail, BT Wholesale or Openreach?

I take it you haven't actually tried anyone else?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 15:24:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I don't know who has messed up the database - it's not my job as the customer to have to worry about these things. My limited understanding is that BT run the network, it is they who control who can have fibre, and other providers pay to use the BT network.

And yes, I have tried ordering Sky Fibre but the only option they give me is to 'register my interest'. I'm on a brand new BT line and contract so if other providers need me to switch then I'm not in a position to.
Standard User doleawg
(member) Sat 05-May-12 17:58:21
Print Post

I had FTTC installed 2 months and at that point the BT website said I couldn't have FTTC. Got mine through ADSL24. BT direct isn't the only answer.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-May-12 18:11:06
Print Post

So you didn't notice the road past Sindlesham Mill Hotel, less than a mile from you, closed due to flooding this week ?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-May-12 23:44:29
Print Post

Please don't confuse the issue with facts tongue smile.

Standard User vettieboo
(learned) Sun 06-May-12 07:43:01
Print Post

Sorry to hear about your problems. I suspected BT would do something to delay things as they did with me, but it is sad to hear they've done it all the same. Hope it's resolved soon.

Might be worth checking other ISPs though, BT to this day say I can't get fibre but we've been set up on Sky Fibre for two days already! Obviously if Sky are saying no try someone else, but I found calling Sky got me further than trying it online.

Good luck! Hope BT pull through for you, I gave up on them.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to