General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Apr-12 13:12:23
Print Post

When is Taunton getting FTTP?

[link to this post]

Half the town is now lucky enough to have FTTC while the other half waits for FTTP, trouble is we have no idea if or when it's actually coming, the checker is useless and i've not seen or heard anything to suggest they're actually working on this yet, i would at least like to know if it's coming this year or not?
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Thu 12-Apr-12 15:02:33
Print Post

Re: When is Taunton getting FTTP?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Are their still Openreach engineers working in the town, as they would be best to ask to give a rough date, FTTP has been very slow in deployment with hardly any news.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 13-Apr-12 17:54:14
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

I was hoping someone might know what's going on, i hear it's similar for other mixed fibre towns?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 13-Apr-12 23:10:37
Print Post

Where their is a split between FTTC and FTTP, the FTTC is enabled while those residents who are ment to get FTTP are still waiting, one would wonder why not just enable for FTTC and then let FTTP on deand for those that want it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 23:56:25
Print Post

Because it's a totally different delivery system into the premises. It may be possible next year, at high cost to the customer, as opposed to normal cost for scheduled FTTP areas.

Did you see this News Article?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-12 01:11:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have seen the article, the point i was trying to make was that the delays in FTTP deployment why not change it for FTTC instead alot less manpower and cost, residents get a faster service sooner rather then later.

Until we see the FTTP on demand pricing and the cost to OR for each house to enable for FTTP is pretty hard to compare.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User simon194
(regular) Sat 14-Apr-12 12:25:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by ccxo:
I have seen the article, the point i was trying to make was that the delays in FTTP deployment why not change it for FTTC instead alot less manpower and cost, residents get a faster service sooner rather then later.

Until we see the FTTP on demand pricing and the cost to OR for each house to enable for FTTP is pretty hard to compare.

Openreach reckon a typical FTTP install takes about 7 hours so assuming they charge their usual rates you are looking at around £1000. In areas where the phone services are carried via poles it takes considerably less time especially if the lines are strung from pole to pole rather than through ducts to each pole.

A lot depend on how much of the cost is passed onto the customer.
Standard User fibreplease
(newbie) Sat 14-Apr-12 14:35:52
Print Post

I wish I knew. It would be nice if the checker gave even a vague idea. Instead, nothing. The only information I have is from the December spreadsheet that says FTTP to my postcode.

I live in Taunton. A FTTC cabinet has been installed within sight of my front door, but it doesn't serve my house. Instead the homes just behind me. Rubbish.

Xilo C&W LLU @ 4Mbps
TP-Link TD-8816 and Netgear WNDR3700
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Apr-12 15:11:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Where their is a split between FTTC and FTTP, the FTTC is enabled while those residents who are ment to get FTTP are still waiting, one would wonder why not just enable for FTTC and then let FTTP on deand for those that want it.

Yeah they really should have changed their rollout plans for mixed fibre towns once they came up with fttp on demand, i think most would prefer to have fttc if it means they can have it a lot sooner, so far it looks like fttp is actually a bad sign if you want faster broadband any time soon.

How are things going in other mixed fibre towns, have many got fttp yet?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Apr-12 15:30:30
Print Post

Yeah, I live in Taunton too, I used to live over in Staplegrove, and since moved to Priorswood, surprise surprise, my old house is now 63MB fibre enabled, my new house still runs at 6MB.

FTTP according to the checker spreadsheet is in phase 6b which says completed and 100% rollout.

I can get slightly faster broadband here than I could at my old house, so I thought fibre would have been delivered here first! Should have said "could" get slightly faster broadband.

I am with Sky broadband currently as I have had better experience with them than BT in the past, but would consider switching back for those speeds!

If the spreadsheet says that 100% of the postcode area is being upgraded and it says it has been done, does this mean that I am not going to receive it? Then 100% is not correct, or does it mean that there has been a delay on phase 6b being rolled out? Or another mysterious BT issue that no one ever knows about?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Apr-12 16:10:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Yeah they really should have changed their rollout plans for mixed fibre towns once they came up with fttp on demand, i think most would prefer to have fttc if it means they can have it a lot sooner, so far it looks like fttp is actually a bad sign if you want faster broadband any time soon.
You forget that FTTP areas will get it at the standard installation cost for their ISP, which IIRC is £25 for Infinity 40GB and free for Unlimited.

FTTP on demand in FTTC areas is expected to be a few hundred pounds installation instead, because it requires the fibre running there when there is probably perfectly OK copper with FTTC on it already.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Apr-12 16:18:21
Print Post

FTTP according to the checker spreadsheet is in phase 6b which says completed and 100% rollout.
Most FTTP in the spreadsheets I hav seen refer to Tranches, not Phases. The only FTTP with phases I have seen has been one exchange where there is a lot of FTTC in phase 6b.

I think it is an error in the spreadsheet data for that exchange.
If the spreadsheet says that 100% of the postcode area is being upgraded and it says it has been done, does this mean that I am not going to receive it? Then 100% is not correct, or does it mean that there has been a delay on phase 6b being rolled out? Or another mysterious BT issue that no one ever knows about?
The "YES" under "Deployed" doesn't mean it is completed. It just means it is in the schedule. So at some point in time it will be completed - probably - as at 15 December 2011 planning. You need to follow up any planned roadworks and such close to your cabinet, with your local council planning department.

Phase 6b in each area could be different by months.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Apr-12 00:48:25
Print Post

I live on the edge of Taunton/Trull just past queens college. Both street cabinets near my house (on the same stretch of Trull/Honiton Road from Queens College to Trull Green have been upgraded, but I still can't get fttc or fttp.

It's annoying if half the town have it, as we are (without being snobbish) the more affluent area/village and are behind the rest of Taunton.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Apr-12 21:34:57
Print Post

Ive actually just discovered that my Next door neighbours can get Infinity, yet I cant! what a joke!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Apr-12 23:43:50
Print Post

Ive actually just discovered that my Next door neighbours can get Infinity, yet I cant! what a joke!
What does this checker say about your phone number? (Assuming it isn't Sky or TalkTalk LLU).

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 20:48:02
Print Post

Spoke to some Openreach engineers who were laying fibre today at the top of East Reach in the centre of town. They said FTTC would be available to anyone whose CAB was enabled and line didn't use overhead cabling, the latter would get FTTP.

Taking that with a healthy pinch of salt I think....
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-Apr-12 17:07:31
Print Post

Did they say anything else about FTTP?

We know FTTC is available now to almost half the town and there's still some work left to be done on it but what i think everyone else is waiting to know is when exactly FTTP will start to appear, so far it's all C and no P, they really should have been working on both at the same time to be fair.
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 01-May-12 10:39:58
Print Post

I have two friends with fibre in Taunton now. One lives on Blackbrook estate near Tescos, and one lives in Trull!

I live on Ilminster road, so overhead phone lines frown I guess I'll be waiting a logn while yet then?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 06-May-12 14:13:15
Print Post

[re: Russ_T] [link to this post]

Any news or progress seen since last month?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 05-Jun-12 11:28:08
Print Post

Doesn't look like it...
Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 05-Jun-12 11:55:16
Print Post

[re: Russ_T] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Russ_T:
I have two friends with fibre in Taunton now. One lives on Blackbrook estate near Tescos, and one lives in Trull!

I live on Ilminster road, so overhead phone lines frown I guess I'll be waiting a logn while yet then?

Not necessarily.

Having over head lines makes no difference whatsoever to the difficulty of implementing FTTC and can actually make it easier to implement FTTP smile

BT Infinity #2 - 8.7MBps via P2P ¦ Full 80/20 Sync ¦
BT / Openreach - You've finally done well. Very well indeed.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 11-Jun-12 18:09:13
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

We can get fibre from BT Infinity, Plusnet and Talk Talk via FTTC in Trull but not Sky yet!
When will the Taunton exchange enable Sky fibre to be available?
Standard User chris6273
(member) Mon 11-Jun-12 18:58:37
Print Post

Its down to Sky to enable their kit for fibre.

Down here in Taunton/Bridgwater I believe because BT took until around 2009 to upgrade the town exchanges to 21CN, the LLU providers such as Sky have a very large user base and will probably take longer to get their kit ready for it (Most of the people I know in Bridgwater and Taunton are either on Sky or TalkTalk).
The hard bit is done (FTTC), so waiting for Sky is the easy bit as you can already get FTTC from other providers smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed: 24276 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.5 db 6.4 db
Noise Margin: 1.1 db 6.2 db
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 24-Jun-12 10:35:40
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

So has anyone seen any sign of FTTP yet?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 01-Jul-12 17:36:17
Print Post

I heard we might not be getting FTTP now, if this is true then when are they planning to finish the job of installing FTTC?

They can't do half the town and say job done, its getting pathetic!
Standard User worldofadsl
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jul-12 17:43:33
Print Post

Same in my area... we were told half was getting fttc and the other half getting fttp. the area with fttc is live and the area meant to be getting fttp has been canceled.

i have just started a community campaign but BT have said we need a 60% committed uptake of services before they will conduct a survey and see if its viable to roll it out.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 01-Jul-12 17:58:04
Print Post

[re: worldofadsl] [link to this post]

So what are they doing about it exactly?

I would of been quite happy with FTTC but instead im left feeling annoyed at the delays and lack of information, i just don't understand how they can get away with doing only half a town...
(newbie) Sun 01-Jul-12 18:07:53
Print Post

I know I shouldn't moan, 4Mbps is fine most of the time and I have friends living in villages not far away that can only just get ADSL at all. However, I don't see how OR can claim they are "Accepting Orders" for Taunton exchange when the availability must be an incredibly low percentage. We would be far better of living in a town with just FTTC. At least we would be offered something, with the option to pay more for FTTP on demand.

Xilo C&W LLU @ 4Mbps
Standard User worldofadsl
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jul-12 19:55:45
Print Post

They are doing nothing...

They can get away with it because they do not have to provide anyone with FTTx
Standard User boliston
(learned) Thu 19-Jul-12 08:21:39
Print Post

[re: worldofadsl] [link to this post]

I'm in one of the parts of the town that has not yet been upgraded and I got my hopes up yesterday when I had an email:

Dear Adrian,
Thanks for telling us that you're interested in superfast fibre broadband.
We're really pleased to let you know that your local exchange, TAUNTON, has been added to our rollout plans.
You can get more details about the current status of the TAUNTON exchange, and find out when superfast fibre broadband will be available, using our new interactive map at www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when
Because there are instances where we can't upgrade every single street cabinet, we'd advise you to contact your preferred Communications Provider and use their line checker to find out whether or not your property will be able to get superfast fibre broadband.
Satisfy your need for speed, with downloads of up to 100Mbit/s and join our superfast fibre revolution.
Regards
Openreach Marketing

I checked with my isp (AAISP) but they said i'm NOT yet ready for the upgrade

Edited by boliston (Thu 19-Jul-12 08:24:15)

(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 09:17:18
Print Post

[re: boliston] [link to this post]

Same here, I had one yesterday. I feel like I'm being taunted (in Taunton). You give them your postcode and land line phone number, then they send you an irrelevant marketing email to wind you up slightly...

Xilo C&W LLU @ 4Mbps
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Jul-12 10:48:47
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

Is any progress being made at all or is that it then, no fibre for the rest?

Someone must know, either we'll have fibre by this time next year or not, they should have just changed the rollout to standard fttc for everyone when they knew they couldn't deliver, probably don't care about ideas like fairness and finishing a job you start, what a joke!
(newbie) Thu 13-Sep-12 11:57:03
Print Post

I emailed the address mentioned in this thread - here

They replied to say that my cabinet (Taunton 115) is scheduled to be rolled out next year with a go live date of around the end of June. They also mentioned that if they experience technical difficulties in the deployment, this could delay or even defer the cabinet.

Xilo C&W LLU @ 4Mbps
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Sep-12 13:01:12
Print Post

Thanks for the update, i thought FTTP didn't need cabinets or are we all getting FTTC now instead?

What id like to know is what they're doing while we wait, once the FTTC half was finished you'd think they would get straight to work on FTTP but i've not noticed any work being done around town since earlier this year, im sure if they had switched to FTTC this wouldn't be an issue for most of now, instead we have to wait for almost a year and who knows if they will deliver, it could be 2014 before we see anything.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Sep-12 13:30:26
Print Post

What id like to know is what they're doing while we wait, once the FTTC half was finished...
The UK is somewhat larger than just Taunton and the FTTC teams will have moved on to other areas that are scheduled to get FTTC but where work has not yet started.

As has been said in a number of posts FTTP installation will for the most part not start until the national FTTC roll-out has been broadly completed. Remember installing FTTP is far more labour intensive than installing FTTC however the benefits of having FTTP should be well worth the wait.
(newbie) Sat 22-Dec-12 18:02:05
Print Post

It looks like I've been switched to FTTC. Did the BT Wholesale ADSL Availability Checker this morning and it now tells me that I am planned to get FTTC by 31st March 2013. Estimated speed is 80/20 since the cabinet is very close. Hooray!

Xilo C&W LLU @ 4Mbps
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sat 22-Dec-12 23:13:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by fibreplease:
It looks like I've been switched to FTTC. Did the BT Wholesale ADSL Availability Checker this morning and it now tells me that I am planned to get FTTC by 31st March 2013. Estimated speed is 80/20 since the cabinet is very close. Hooray!

I wish Openreach would do that to me...

I'm on the Exeter exchange which was enabled as part of phase 5a.

At my last address I had FTTC over a year ago.

Where I am now, a "scheduled" FTTP area of the same exchange, nada. Just long line slow and unstable ADSL.

What do Openreach say? They've deferred plans until next spring at the earliest when they may resume work.

(sensei) Sun 23-Dec-12 00:09:00
Print Post

I think this particular thread is actually about Fibre Through The Pool, but the pool keeps getting bigger in the Taunton area, which makes groundworks a bit difficult.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sun 23-Dec-12 16:39:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think this particular thread is actually about Fibre Through The Pool, but the pool keeps getting bigger in the Taunton area, which makes groundworks a bit difficult.

Haha, Exeter's no better!

The quayside is all but submerged, and my route to work has been converted into a damn for the last few weeks...

A plastic dam has been placed across the railway line at Exeter to minimise flood damage. Steve Hawkins, from Network Rail, explained: "The last time it flooded we lost the railway for two or three days but we lost the signalling equipment, so we had restricted working, for two or three weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20822798

Edited by izools (Sun 23-Dec-12 16:43:06)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Dec-12 20:09:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by izools:
and my route to work has been converted into a damn for the last few weeks...
As in 'Oh damn, back to work?' smile

I used to live in Exeter many moons ago. Spent my late childhood and teenage years there. I left just before they tore down the ABC cinema. That area has changed even more since those days :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Mon 24-Dec-12 02:44:27
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by izools:
and my route to work has been converted into a damn for the last few weeks...
As in 'Oh damn, back to work?' smile

I used to live in Exeter many moons ago. Spent my late childhood and teenage years there. I left just before they tore down the ABC cinema. That area has changed even more since those days :-/

Lols, it's fine, the other route to work is a more fun drive anyway.

It really has changed in recent years, it's a stark difference to how it was in the 90's. So many new estates, and the city centre bears no resemblance to what it was before.

I just hope they continue with building the science park as planned before the economic meltdown smile

(learned) Fri 01-Feb-13 21:50:32
Print Post

Just noticed that a "new" taller & thinner cabinet has just been installed nearby next to the existing BT cabinet so I'm hoping this could be a good sign.

FTTC Check http://fttc-check.alc.im/ says it's FTTP (Fiber to the Premises), but I'm not too sure if blocks of flats are included in the plans for FTTP as I have read it's for houses only not flats.

I guess there is also a time lag between the cabinet being installed and the new faster service actually going live.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Fri 01-Feb-13 23:22:49
Print Post

[re: boliston] [link to this post]

Is the cabinet installed next to the existing BT cabinet one of the Huawei or Eci cabinets?

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html

What does the BT wholesale checker say for your number if its BT, if non BT then use the address checker but not the postcode checker as it should say if FTTC is planned for your number/address.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

With FTTC and FTTP both services have to be ordered once they are live, their is not automatic upgrade to the new service.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User boliston
(learned) Sun 03-Feb-13 12:31:02
Print Post

It's an ECI 128 cabinet with 4 rows of ventilation slots as shown in your picture and is about 6 feet away from the existing BT cabinet (quite an old cabinet, not shiny & new like the ECI 128!)

But the good news is the checker shows only 2 months to wait:

Telephone Number 01823****** on Exchange TAUNTON is served by Cabinet 81

Available Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Featured Products
WBC FTTC Up to 80 Up to 20 -- 31-Mar-13
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7.5 -- 5.5 to 12 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7.5 Up to 1 5.5 to 12 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4 to 8 Available